Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
This quickly became my favorite manhwa. Its combination of absurdity and logic in the face of it is so great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Zahrkon posted:

Hwan sung gon says there's 3 major powers in the area with the Yunhonmoon being the red haired girls clan, the Chunbumoon being Ilsuns clan, and finnaly the "irregular magician". I'm betting his mother is the irregular magician and that's why he can't see her level. She also moved really fast to have him train with the Chunbumoon so i think she defintetly knows whats going on.

He also mentions he gets quests for doing classwork from his teachers it just wasn't shown.

She is the Legendary SF2 champion. Everything is a fighting game.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
http://www.batoto.net/read/_/223225/the-gamer_ch23_by_bap-scans

So refreshing to have somebody with this attitude towards gaining super powers.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

RatHat posted:

I really hope the newest chapter not being translated by now doesn't mean that it was dropped.

Just the group working slower than usual. They posted an update on the 2nd that the translation is complete, just needs the editing stuff done.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Now I just want him to use his super intelligence to play the auction house and become filthy rich and decked out in absurd gear.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Speaking of gear, now I want him to wear terribly mismatched clothes for their stats.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Sindai posted:

I really hope the ogre panties become critical to the plot later.

Grandpa might want them.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

DrSunshine posted:

Doesn't the sick girl have a lot of points in Wisdom? I wonder how that's helped her?

She has the insight to see just how hosed she is and accept it. Nihilism ho

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
http://mngacow.com/The-Gamer/44/?all

Dun dun dun dun

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Time to start taking bets on how many people will move in.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
:siren: New chapter :siren:

http://mangacow.co/The-Gamer/69/?all

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
I'm glad he didn't use magic to punk these punks. It helps to show just how absurd he's gotten, considering he has primarily been focusing on magic skills.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Fleve posted:

If this was Baldur's Gate, someone really needs to introduce him to spell sequencers. Pop all the buffs instantly, time stop, meteor. But that'd just be way, waaaay too overpowered.

gently caress you demi-lich, I'm never going to forget that encounter.

He'd just drop skull traps everywhere all day errday and kill everything.

Except Kangaxx. gently caress you Kangaxx.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
:siren: Double chapter day :siren:

http://mangacow.co/The-Gamer/70/?all

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
http://mangacow.co/The-Gamer/71/?all

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
At this point I'm just waiting for this to happen and seeing how he reacts to it:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Half of Solomons demons pooling their power together to get stable internet in hell is great.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

GloriousDemon posted:

Jee-Han is gonna go full Goku by dying and walking of hell at some point, he'll get restrictions like those demons, then surpass those restrictions with a week of grinding.

And then he'll teach the demons the art of Grind Fu and become the new Demon Lord, eventually rising up to take over the human realm on the back of inflated attributes and nerdy demons.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

paragon1 posted:

Oh no! Not one of the richest people in Korea! :geno:

My level is equal to my account balance!

*makes bad investments, drops to negative levels*

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

NowonSA posted:

She can probably come up with a better grinding idea than "Have Noum hit you with a big club a lot" too.

"Have druid guy hit you with a big club a lot" seems like the natural progression here.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
http://mangacow.co/The-Gamer/85/

Well, that was anti-climactic.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Shakugan posted:

He's a video game nerd, not a programmer. He doesn't know python.

:swoon:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/The-Gamer/Ch--091---Chapter-091?id=236576

More gnome :swoon:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Artificer posted:

what the gently caress

I got spoiled some later aspects of the novel. It gets worse. So much worse.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

The Lord of Hats posted:

Yeah, it looks to be monthly. There's another chapter out on the translator's site right now, and it gives me a lot of optimism for the direction that things are going.

Having read the LN, the story generally stays upbeat and positive, with less of a focus on personal strength and more a focus on building collective strength, which also means that companions and such tend to have more characterization than "The guy almost as good as me with a sword, that other guy almost as good as me at magic, a group of girls who really wants to bone me for *reasons* and maybe some older character(s) and/or family that died so I'd have some motivation".

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Depends on what you're looking for. The trapped in a game/transported to a game-like world genre of light and web novels has exploded over the last few years. Not a lot of it is as easily digestible as Slime or The Gamer though and a lot of it gets bogged down in horrible, horrible 'romances' that trainwreck what would otherwise be fun read.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Captain_duck posted:

I do love seeing things from the monsters side, as in overlord and slime. Any more like that?

Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? is about a girl reborn as a spider, with a bunch of game jargon. The translation isn't great, but it's readable.

All the other decent monster PoV LNs I can think of are all dropped after only a few chapters of translation.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Serious Frolicking posted:

OSO is the only fictional vrmmo I've seen that actually has viable gameplay systems instead of thinly veiled excuses for why the mc is so much better than everyone else.

The only problem with OSO is the conceit that an MMO community would only have a few players willing to try various skills, even if they were publicly derided. Not only do you have the poopsockers hunting for the next big thing but you also have all the roleplayers and whatnots who will gladly play a subpar class. And that people wouldn't use the buff skill(that buffs both physical and magical damage, along with every other stat) because the range on the buffs is low shows an astounding ignorance of just how far players go to eke out even the slightest advantage. I imagine every party and every solo player would run it, no questions asked.

Edit: It's still much better than the concept of hidden classes and completely broken equipment that is the current trend. As if any major MMO developer would develop a class that not only is more powerful than other classes, but also restricted to a single character.

Cynic Jester fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Aug 4, 2015

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Brainamp posted:

Tera. Technically two cases for that game. The Gunner class requires you to play a high/dark elf female. The reaper class, which basically plays like Kratos, is restricted to the elin aka the pedobait race. And you need to hit level 40 to be able to make a reaper at all.

Both classes are really loving easy to play and fun which is a real shame.

The difference is that anyone can still play them if they adhere to the restrictions. In LNs/WNs, hidden classes are typically restricted to a single player.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Captain_duck posted:

So, uh, any more novels where i can get my monster POV fix? :)

None that are translated. The only others I can think of have stalled out translations or very questionable content.

You could read The Lazy King which is pretty much one of the best things to come out of the reincarnation genre in ages, but only 4 chapters are translated and the translator hasn't committed to the series yet. It's a story of demons and how they gain power from embodying one of the 7 deadly sins.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Serious Frolicking posted:

The reincarnation aspect in lazy king is almost completely irrelevant so far.

I think that's why I like it so much to be honest.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Slime posted:

Depends on what happens when he dies. If he obeys MMO rules and respawns, he might be able to grind up resistances to instant death.

"What are you doing?"

"Dying"

"Why?"

"I've got to level my death resistance"

"Uh........"

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Jimbosaurus posted:

I just started reading it, please don't tell me she becomes a girl and gets transported magically to a high school then has to deal with the pressures of student council.

She joins the handicraft club, eventually ascending to presidency on the back of her mad weaving skills.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Hyperspecialization is only a good thing to aim for if other people are picking up the slack. If you have a party, having the tank be as tanky as possible and the healer be as healy as possible is a net benefit. If you're solo, it's awful.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Artificer posted:

I wonder what niche in the party she'll fill. Healer? :v:

(Un)common sense.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Paracelsus posted:

Indestructible DLC dungeon doorways in the middle of all cities and downs.

Invisible walls on every cliff that looks fun to climb.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Bernardo Orel posted:

See those two? I heard they were powerleveling all night!!!

Captain Invictus posted:

I wonder if it stays fresh in the inventory

Weird question to ask about a baby. Then again, BG2 did have a baby in the inventory, so I guess it has precedent.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Between his newly humongous-er mana pool and a new 40% discount on mana costs, I'm pretty sure he can go infinite-er now. Time to get more buffs.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

BlitzBlast posted:

I'm not sure how what you said is supposed to be proving me wrong.

If he stops leveling and focuses on grinding up stats, Jee Han could also have those mathematically impossible stats in short order, probably much faster than anyone else could thanks to his unique constitution and learning advantages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

SSNeoman posted:

Although I guess he could be being set up as the rival.

Harem King is desperately trying to raise a successor so he can foist his harem over and retire, living out his remaining life as a monk trying to overcome the many psychological scars running a manga harem brings.