Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

nielsm posted:

I like taking the "stuck inside a game" idea and turning it about to "game stuck inside the real world".

Yeah I really like that spin on things and it's fun thinking about just how broken Jee-Han's ability is.

Calm and collected mind in the face of any danger.
No negative consequences for taking damage, unless the damage is fatal. (Well he still feels some pain and certain damage could apply negative statuses.)
Improved passive healing rate and an easy full-heal just from one night's rest.
Private pocket dimension inventory. (Makes him extremely difficult to rob and also means he could be an incredible thief/smuggler himself unless the ability has extra restrictions. It would also work for a stage magician or allow him near-infinite ammunition for ranged weapons at no weight cost. Potentially there are defensive applications too, if a bomb is about to explode he might be able to safely deposit it inside his inventory.)
Equipment screen which presumably can be used for super-fast clothes changing, though I'm not sure how useful that is.
Observe skill to magically gain information about people/monsters/items. (Power levels, stat distributions, brief descriptions, healthbar, item rarity... and there's a lot of scope for this skill to grow further. Even with his current ability he'd have an unfair information advantage in sports betting. Oh and if his observe ability is just based on seeing an object then presumably he'd be be able to tell the difference between playing cards based on the back of the card? Also it has listed magical applications thus far so maybe it acts like a a free Identify spell too.)
Quest system. (Potential as a communication method, potential for XP exploits depending on the rules. So far his only quests have come from his mother though.)
Status notifications. (Presumably if he got drugged or poisoned this means he'd notice much faster and it also makes it easier to notice/quantify environmental effects.)
Allocatable stat points with instant effects. (Point allocation isn't limited by which stats were used in earning levels so physical training can get points to pump into mental stats... and he can stockpile points until he knows what to spend them on. He can even pump stat points mid-fight if he had a stockpile or just leveled up)
Seemingly no skill or stat degradation.
Improved and quantifiable training effectiveness.
Ability to flawlessly execute any learned skill. (But mastery provides a speed & effectiveness bonuses)
Good chance to learn skills through simple experimentation or emulation. (Seems like copying magic attacks from TV shows works here too).
Ability to instantly learn skills from certain books. (It'd be interesting to see how much he'd get from a trip to the library or if there other types of book bonuses or if he gets mastery points for consuming a book from a learned skill.)
Ability to invent new magic skills on the fly.
Ability to let his ability partially apply to other people. (Also a level-balancing option for party members.)
Magical healing skill to instantly heal himself or others. (The illness and status effect removal alone are enough to make him better than the world's greatest doctor)
Magical ranged damage skills.
Magical melee damage skills.
Magical personal buff skills and passive boosts.
Various completion bonuses.
Life-drain skill with the possibility of becoming a life-sharing skill too.
Creating basic pocket dimensions, with a lot of possibilities for more specialized ones. (Various training areas, recreation areas, a hospital, a prison and Reality Marble attacks. But even basic pocket dimensions would be great for hiding from normal people)
Gaining items and money from defeated monsters when normally they don't even have anything to drop. (Possibly exploitable in combination with friendly monster summoning).
Crafting skill.
The combination of a crafting skill and pocket dimensions offers the distant possibility of Unlimited Blade Works / Gate of Babylon style attacks, assuming crafting is not poo poo.

Also some incredibly powerful abilities don't seem at all out of place as a gamer power. A "Pause" option functioning a time stop, a resurrection ability, savestates, permanent youth/lack of aging, communication systems for players in his party and some form of teleportation. Actually re-specing seems like one of the most unlikely abilities based on the known rules.

Answer - pretty loving broken. Most of it doesn't apply to direct combat though.

KittyEmpress posted:

This is also incorrect, he's dropping points in Int because his thought is that int is the most important stat for a normal life, his mom wants him to be a doctor so clearly he needs to be smart. His friend points out that 'woah that's one of our highest techniques, we aren't gonna teach it to you' and he's like 'oh yeah, I know, it's just a good thing to aim for stats wise since that's the highest requirement I've seen'.

He's still in the 'I don't want to just be part of The Abyss, I need a normal life' mode.

Bumping Int first sounds like a good plan, because it'll make him smart enough to know the best way to spend the rest of his points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

Going back to the "powers affecting real world" thing, it seems the setting operated on Mage rules.
In Mage, magic works differently if you're in the presence of Muggles. If you use your powers to do a short handstand or something, nobody will think it's weird and you won't get punished.
But if you affect reality in a way that defies common sense, referred to as "vulgar magic" in Mage, reality punishes you with a Paradox.
Paradoxes are reality trying to fix the discrepancy between the Muggle's common sense and your actions, in a way that is always bad for you. These range from having you sparkle (giving away your position to an enemy) to summoning an Abomination or a Paradox Spirit to wipe you out of existence (you should avoid those).

Interestingly, Mage makes a point that perception is all that matters. Particularly, television has a very notable effect on the Muggles. So in Mage, if you were to enchant a shotgun to make large holes in your enemies, you wouldn't be punished as harshly for it as if you cause the same effect through simple magic. Shotguns cause huge holes in action movies, so the Muggle's common sense isn't as badly jarred.

I imagine the same principle is in play here.

It seems a little different from Mage. When explaining the rule Sun-Il gave the example that winning the lottery would effect the real-world too much so it flat out isn't allowed. But people win the lottery legitimately without using bullshit magic powers, yes it is unlikely but it isn't a violation of the natural order.

Basically it sounds like Mage but without being based on perception, which changes things a lot. Mage penalizes magic that is too noticeable but this penalizes magic that is too significant.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

nielsm posted:

He can do the famous anime triple-date! Unless someone catches him in the teleportation act, forcing him to cease existence.

The series doesn't even have enough girls for the famous anime triple-date. Immersion ruined.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Boogaleeboo posted:

e: The real question is is the story going to skew more serious and give him something to fight, or stay generally light hearted and keep it all a bit of a joke. Hopefully it doesn't get too serious.

I think the best escalation would be some rival/antagonist who has a power that is just as bullshit and silly as Jee Hans. Like say.. a guy who views the world as saturday morning cartoons.

He gets punched into the air and whizzes off into space then turns up perfectly fine 5 minutes later. Whereever you are he can find you in seconds and every time he pops up he introduces himself with a big speech about injustice or power. That kind of thing.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I get the feeling he's going to accidentally grind the hell out of that gag skill.

Calling it now, it gets an instant rank-up every time he does his "Awesome gamer powers!" sparkle pose.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

Ahaha, oh lord. Hwan Sung-Gon is going to inhuman lengths to create a miracle. Meanwhile, Jee-Han gets halfway there just by grinding on some zombies followed by spamming his basic heal.

Elite posted:

Magical healing skill to instantly heal himself or others. (The illness and status effect removal alone are enough to make him better than the world's greatest doctor)

Called it. :smuggo:

HenryEx posted:

Y'all are focusing i the options menu, but way more nuts is that he's slowly approaching a kind of mediated omniscience through that observe skill.

Not just Class and Title anymore, which are rough summaries of a person's background, now he can also access detailed accounts of a person's background, their disposition, their exact capabilities, their afflictions... without ever having interacted with them.

Yeah, that's not scary at all.

His observe skill has also developed sass, so maybe if he levels it enough it'll evolve into a full-on sarcastic tactical AI.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

lil baby anime posted:

I love how the dude is all mad that no one wanted him in charge of the group or whatever and then he goes and proves to everyone exactly why he never should have been allowed to take control of that group.

I also love not refreshing tabs

I love how that's HIS side of the story. "I took over because I didn't like how they were doing things. Then I realized I hated everyone so shut things down"

Usually when there's some argument inside a group both parties play the innocent victim and blame everything on the other guys. Here you don't need to look for the other side of the story, because his own explanation makes him sound like the bad guy.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

XboxPants posted:

It's definitely an interesting topic; if one argues that you shouldn't have any foreign words, even when there's no equivalent concept, how far do you go in erasing the foreign-ness? Should "okonomiyaki" be translated as pancake, "shamisen" as ukelele? I disagree with that kind of thinking because the further you go down that hole, the more of the original meaning is lost. If you're going to be doing that much re-writing of a story, then isn't that goal better served by going ahead and just making an entirely new adaptation of the story into the target cultural context?

I'm not exactly seeing the problem in those examples.

I have no idea what an okonomiyaki is, but I know what a pancake is.
I have no idea what a shamisen is, but I know what a ukelele is.

Now even if pancake and ukelele are only half correct, I'd still wager that the difference between a pancake and an okonomiyaki isn't particularly important. In any language being understood is more important than being 100% technically accurate and in your examples I don't think the loss of information is going to be harmful. Saying pancake instead of okonomiyaki isn't going to undermine the story... and if it does somehow cripple the story then by all means say okonomiyaki instead, but I'm pretty certain that'd be the exception rather than the rule.

Sure you could have a TN saying "okonomiyaki = a type of savory pancake" in which case I'd wonder why you didn't just say pancake. Or you could describe the dish, in which case I'd wonder why you spent so much time explaining such a tangential detail.

Yes there are definitely cases where translating everything is difficult (as is the case with noona here and japanese honorifics) and losing information harms the story. But it looks like you're using a slippery slope argument for the small details, that I don't really believe in. I think most people will accept that if you're reading/watching something from a foreign language then some things might not translate well, and that some things might be too important to accept any loss of meaning.

IMO the basic goal of any translation is to allow new people to understand and enjoy a work (people will disagree on the best way to do this, but surely this is common starting ground).

Trying to preserve 100% of the orginal meaning is futile as any translation will have some loss of information, so you come up with something that makes sense to the new audience.

Trying to 'completely purge foreign-ness' smacks of taking localizations too far in a way that goes beyond being simply understood and extends into making things familiar and comfortable. This would be translating an okonomiyakin into a hamburger because hey people eat hamburgers.

This is just my particularly preference and thoughts on translations. Other people probably have wildly different opinions, but hey you did say it was an interesting topic. Those are always dangerous words.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I think this would make Sun Il Ma-ti.

Earth!
Fire!
Wind!
Water!
Hear KUNG-FU!

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
The Dark Gamer is basically Manhwa Seto Kaiba who uses his vast fortune to secure every possible advantage and hold extravagant competitions. Also he ends up buying 85% of the items that JeeHan sells, but neither one of them realizes what's happening for 18 chapters.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Dr_Amazing posted:

That was a legit way to get through most of the Fallout games. Put everything into luck and watch everyone else get their arms blown off by gun malfunctions.

Shugojin posted:

10 Luck run with Jinx. Walking apocalypse :getin:

I don't think that trick relied on Luck though.

Take Jinxed Trait (vastly increase critical failures for everybody - yourself and enemies).
Take HtH Evade perk (raises AC based on your spare AP and your unarmed skill)

Then you spend the whole time ending turn with full AP to send your AC through the stratosphere, crippling enemy hit rates which leads to them critically missing and killing themselves. You want Agility more than Luck there, to max out your AP which you then convert into AC. Luck would help you avoid suffering critical failures yourself (a little), but I don't think it made them more common for enemies.

Also getting the Jinxed as a perk curse from the Pariah Dog tanks your Luck, but doesn't interfere with HtH evade.

Luck was really good with the Sniper perk though.

Sniper perk - critical hit on any ranged attack that passes a Luck check.
With 10 Luck - automatically pass the Luck check on Sniper.

Combine with 10 Agility, 2 levels of Action Boy, Bonus Rate of Fire, Fast Shot, a Gauss Pistol and Better Criticals.

Gives 6 attacks per round, 100% critical rate, at sniper rifle ranges and a single attack can 1HK most enemies (and you'd have 95% accuracy most of the time). You could kill a whole room full of people before any of them could move. You could run the same kind of combo in Fallout 1 with the Turbo Plasma Rifle (4 AP cost in F1, 5 AP cost in F2), but levelling up enough to get Sniper wasn't very practical in F1.

That's a super spergy, but I thought it was funnier with the details and talking about grotesquely overpowered combos seems in the spirit of this topic.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Basically if you abuse your power the planet retaliates by turning your life into a Final Destination movie.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
He needs to challenge Sun-Il to a 70 hour tennis WAR whilst wearing his weighted clothing.

That should develop Strength, Stamina, Agility and most importantly of all Fighting SpiritTM.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

A big flaming stink posted:

lol are you guys kidding? this is the first smart thing jee-han's done in ages. there's more to life than beep boop stat advancement (also it probably is going to result in stat advancement).

How is using leverage to get dates smart?

If she likes him she'd probably go on date without it being counted as a favor (so he could use the favour for something else and still get the date).
If she doesn't like him then a grudging date wouldn't go anywhere, except maybe if he had some masterplan for changing her opinion.

I don't think there's anything wrong with reciprocal relationships, but I do think there's a problem with purely transactional relationships. If you can see that distinction.

Fellis posted:

Scary organization and fedora man are going to do evil thing in korea and need to kidnap demon daughter that main character is going on a d-d-date?! with, also they are telling other evil organizations how to do evil thing because

Their other plan seems to be selling Evil Magical How-To guides and hoping that the buyers stir poo poo up on their own. Like a terrorist organisation writing a book called "Bombs for Beginners" and waiting for society to destroy itself.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
It's a good thing this game doesn't have critical hits, else that damage training could have gone poorly.

You were hit for 762 damage.
You healed for 100 damage.
You healed for 62 damage.
You were hit for 731 damage.
You healed for 31 damage.
You were critically hit for 15,600 damage turning you into Jee-Han paste.
You have died.

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Now that's a rather silly stretch. What you're saying is the same as "They could've mistranslated cheese as nuke, so that 'cheese' sandwich could blow up the city!" As for me, I'll just accept it means 'physical damage'.

I'm reminded of Oblivion, where you could achieve >100% "Physical Damage Reflection" which would make you immune to melee attacks... but you'd still take damage from arrows. So it seems plausible enough for me, since it's already happened in a Western made game which didn't even have translation issues to worry about.

Doesn't mean it's also the case here, but it does mean I wouldn't be too surprised if it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

GloriousDemon posted:

What's stopping him from writing up a "fake" technique book and learning the skill?

I guess the same thing that stops him from reading a Superman comic and coming away with Superstrength, Supertoughness, Superspeed, Flight, X-ray Vision, Laser Eyes, Freeze Breath etc.

It would be pretty funny though, if he tried penning his own Compendium of God Tier Bullshit to see if he could trick the world into giving him freebie skills. But he can just invent skills anyway so whatever.