Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Thanks for making a thread for this, I likely never would have found it otherwise. As has been said, its characters and plot are nothing to write home about, but I really think it makes up for it in sheer originality of concept. It almost seems strange that I haven't run into this idea before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Law Cheetah posted:

Ironically, in Korea theres a group of people who dislike this series because game-related novels and stories are really overdone over there. People consider stories like this as copies of novels like The Legendary Moonlight Sculptor.

I should have known. "There is nothing new under the sun." Well, this is new enough for me, apparently: I blitzed the whole thing, after all.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Boogaleeboo posted:

You can't do it at all, it isn't something that happens with magic as everyone else uses it. Ever. Not in a spirit barrier, not anywhere. Conservation of mass is still a thing that applies to magic as they know it. The zombies in those barriers are spirits drawn from the environment and shaped into zombies. They aren't just magic'ed out of thin air. What his Gamer power does *actually* creates something from nothing, and is described less as magic and more as a miracle. The spirit of the world just going with the flow. As it's that same spirit that punishes people, there's a chance it just wouldn't if he did something crazy.

And this, I think, is why this is a fun comic.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
He's become a video game character. The main character. Of course all the interesting characters transfer to his class.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Doesn't Observe not work so well on ??? level folks? I seem to remember him trying to Observe his mother.

Wow that sounds creepy.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I'd sooner have him show us the entirety of a limited options screen, then patch life if he wants to add in something new.

I'm pretty certain we're just in alpha right now.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Dan7el posted:

I'm lost. What or who is a "cleaner"? I don't understand why glasses-guy needs them killed.

Also, our hero should've known better. He put too much into INT when he should've been working on a more even toon-build. Really. Now, he's going to pay the price. Fortunately, all he needs to do is train, train, train.

He can't re-spec, but at least he can spend the next few levels buffing up. Remember the beat-up old bat? I initially figured he's be a bludgeon-er.

He might be able to respec. The greatest thing about his power is that the author can introduce just about anything game-related and it fits in just fine.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Really, I expect him to turn out to be immune to that rule. That, or for the rule to be relaxed as the author finds it inconvenient.

Maybe he can toggle it off in the options menu.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

SerSpook posted:

I think we have two possibilities on his mom.

1. She has learned to hide her level now.

2. For some reason being a Legendary Housewife means that he has to level his ID Create skill in order to see her level/class.

As far as skills goes, it does seem different from the others. He even comments that he's tired, but shouldn't be, when he returns home.

I imagine it's tiring creating instances in instances. Fake world, fake home, fake mom.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Dragonatrix posted:

Man, I know this probably doesn't bug anyone else but... "Noum?" Really? They couldn't tell that was blatantly meant to be "Gnome?"

To be fair, I didn't get that until you pointed it out. Now it bugs me. Thanks, rear end in a top hat.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Ethiser posted:

He just needs to bind the remaining types of elementals and boom he's captain planet.

I think this would make Sun Il Ma-ti.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
This was the first chapter to make me go, "oh that's bullshit!" out loud.

Dragonatrix posted:

I think the kicker is that the only thing that really gives him an edge is being able to see some of the underlying mechanics on which the world seems to operate. Everything else is stuff that other people could totally do, and in many cases they would definitely do it better, if they were on equal ground. I wouldn't be surprised if an actual proper antagonist had an equally viable infinite loop using stuff that Jeehan doesn't have, or just straight up better than what he's using, but had to work really loving hard to figure out that it was doable, how it would work and even that it was a perfectly sustainable loop in the first place. Without knowing the numbers going on under the hood, there's no real easy way to figure it out and that's where Jeehan's sheer bullshit lies. He has that information and can shortcut so much of the hard work and effort that anyone else would have to put in to even come close.

All that said, I can't wait for him to fight someone who just immediately throws out some kind of sleeping gas and it knocks him right out on the spot. He's getting a wee bit too cocky now that he's figured out his infinite MP trick, and the thing with the shield not stopping gasses is implying that's going to be important at some point.

I think one of his main bits of OP-ness is his ability to grind. Grinding doesn't work in real life, or for others that aren't near him. He and his party members get to hit weak things for a few hours and then allocate gains arbitrarily. I doubt anyone else in that world can turn punches into brains.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

A big flaming stink posted:

lol are you guys kidding? this is the first smart thing jee-han's done in ages. there's more to life than beep boop stat advancement (also it probably is going to result in stat advancement).

or would you prefer him to go back to grinding for grinding's sake

also thank god it seems like the training arc is coming to an end and we're going to make use of the setting beyond 'what if real life was a korean mmo'

I think you may be misunderstanding this comic's appeal.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Soylentbits posted:

Watching numbers go up?

Pretty much. MC is OP, uses this to become more so in various ways. Most of the thread has been lauding this, coming up with new ways for him to do it, and being frustrated that he's not taking full advantage of X power/ability.

Hell, it's why I'm reading.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
New chapter!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Soylentbits posted:

He's totally gonna die. Main character feels too safe and there's enough characters to handle his loss now. Pieces are pretty much set for ultimate tragedy.

The ultimate tragedy will be when he fails every one of his exams.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It was mighty satisfying to see him blast the gently caress out of those things. Grinding payin' off.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Considering that it's been what, a few weeks?, I don't think he's going to regret much. The only thing he can't really change about his build is his stats (and heck, maybe there's a respec button he hasn't found yet).

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
He's a sociopath except when comedy demands otherwise.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Less a suggestion for learning math and more for learning to appreciate it: read Math Girls. It captures part of what I enjoy about math better than any other work I've consumed. I suppose it might be the only I'm aware of that tries.

Also apparently there's more than one volume? I'll have to look into that.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
He would.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Holy poo poo, Berith is fuckin' metal. :rock:

:downsrim:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Gnome is just about the best part of any chapter she's in.

She's just so enthusiastic. :3:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Man, this action arc is boring, when are they going to get to some training?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
No irony here, friend.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

CubeTheory posted:

I really hope he dies in this arc.

And then realizes he never saved the game, and is prompted with a "New Game" option.

That'd teach the rear end in a top hat to NOT LOOK AT ALL OF HIS MENUS.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

bad touch

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Oh man, remember a while ago when we were all wondering when they'd get back to the training arc? :allears:

Still waiting for it.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
This is dull.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Life insurance cool.

Everything else still dull.

Want grinding.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I'm glad that this is back.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Monsieur Mango posted:

This chapter heavily reminded me of Castle of the Winds.

I played the poo poo out of the shareware version of that in my youth. I could totally see some of it in here, yeah.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
We haven't seen Gnome since this restarted, have we? Intolerable.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Nondevor posted:

Gnome is just doing some off-screen training. She'll return as a super buff version but with the tiny head.

I want this.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Shakugan posted:

He's a video game nerd, not a programmer. He doesn't know python.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
ohmigahd Gnome & Jee-Han Dungeon Adventures is the cutest thing.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

CrazySalamander posted:

Noooooooooooooo! Gnome is (probably) going to turn into sexy gnome! Why must you do this, there's enough fan service already!?

Nondevor posted:

Gnome is just doing some off-screen training. She'll return as a super buff version but with the tiny head.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
How does Gnome have thinkings, anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Don't be weird. She's a little girl because it's cute.