Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I wasn't expecting much but this is really great. I love how the story is peeling back the layers of his ability, and all the surrounding lore. The comedy is pretty solid, too - I'll never get tired of other people's "goddamn man your ability is loving ridiculous" reactions. :allears:

But drat you lil baby anime for not waiting until there were a few hundred chapters or so before getting me hooked on it. At least the chapters are pretty long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

ArcadePark posted:

I'll take a guess. Zombies are actual dead people, and the money is the physical money they had at death. Our Protagonist is a grave robber.

Probably wrong, but it's still worth a shot.

Then there's still the matter of where the skill book one of them dropped came from. That's what started the whole discussion, IIRC.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Holy crap that's great, I've been refreshing batoto every couple hours for like 3 days, this'll work much better.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

If he calls customer service would he get a direct line to god?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

He's totally going to get on people's bad side just from that ability alone. I'm sure traffickers in high-end low-quantity mystical goods won't appreciate a magical market-ruiner like him.

I was anticipating that, and that's why I'm glad the Chunbumoon offered to buy his poo poo directly. I'm pumped to see a whole clan outfitted with sick loot generated by Jee-han's power.

This chapter was great.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Now he does have an ability and he is going to be pulled into the dangerous world of ability users whether he likes it or not and the clan would offer him some protection from those dangers until he's strong enough to stand up to them on his own.

And why would this shadowy organization do this? Out of the goodness of their heart? Look, I'm not saying they're eeeeeevil or anything, just that they stand to gain by cozying up to Jee-Han, and I'm sure someone like that grandfather realizes this.

Also, don't forget that Jee-han isn't just a random dude, but the son of a very powerful ability user of some kind. It's entirely possible the Chunbumoon know about his mother and have had an eye on him for quite some time to see if anything develops.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

KittyEmpress posted:

I didn't think about it, but his observe skill is probably outrageous - he can outright tell what magical items do. It'd make scamming him a lot harder than someone else. Sae-Young could tell it was magical, but I doubt she has the ability to say exactly what it does.

It's an outstanding combat ability, and I'm sure appraisers would kill for it, too. I'd imagine he has to level it for it to be useful on higher level items, but that's just a matter of putting in the effort. And that's not even mentioning he can use it on people, which is totally loving broken. :haw:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Wolpertinger posted:

People can only be sold what he's actually been observed doing or told other people about though.

Not necessarily, who knows what kind of freaky divination powers are out there. Jeehan's "Examine" is bullshit powerful... sure "The Gamer" is a really strong powerset, but that's after like a couple weeks of training. It's entirely possible other people who have been training for years/decades (centuries?) could have comparable divination abilities, possibly even without needing visual contact.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Arkeus posted:

http://mangajoy.com/The-Gamer/33/1 Bad translation out.
So, plot.

That translation didn't seem as bad as people were making it out to be. It's not engrish or anything, just a clunky writing and a few grammar errors. I guess I have no way of knowing, but it didn't seem like I was losing any meaning. They seem like they just need a good editor.

Then again I've occasionally read these chapters raw with no idea what is being said, so that probably says something.

ANYWAY, cool chapter. I wonder if there's a reason these guys are walking around wearing silly fantasy gear when none of the other Abyss dudes we've seen so far do that. Maybe they're actually another manifestation of Jee-han's power?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Well he did imply that the exmembers of the group are going to reform under a new name and keep up Gamer, it's possible that could happen before too long.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

I think unless you're some kind of master translator, you're just best off using the foreign term. People leave Japanese honorifics in scanlations, and people accept that willingly. No reason ya can't do the same thing with Korean terms.

Or if you don't think people are gonna learn another set of terms you could just use "Nee-san".

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

The Evil Thing posted:

Depending on which theory you follow, it very well can be the goal of translation. I highly recommend you read Venuti; I find he's great food for thought, even if I don't entirely agree with him.

It's definitely an interesting topic; if one argues that you shouldn't have any foreign words, even when there's no equivalent concept, how far do you go in erasing the foreign-ness? Should "okonomiyaki" be translated as pancake, "shamisen" as ukelele? I disagree with that kind of thinking because the further you go down that hole, the more of the original meaning is lost. If you're going to be doing that much re-writing of a story, then isn't that goal better served by going ahead and just making an entirely new adaptation of the story into the target cultural context?

But super-literal translation can also result in lost meaning if it's too literal for the reader to understand, so you do have to shoot for some kind of middle-ground. The issue for me is that as you try to localize & rewrite, you need not only a stronger grasp on both languages, you actually have to be a really good writer. That's why I usually prefer people to just do it a little more literally, since like tonberrytoby says, you don't need to trust the translator as much.

All that said, I've certainly seen fan translation groups who are up to the task, who create amazing translations. They're just few and far between.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 27, 2014

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Elfgames posted:

That's like arguing that because you're removing honorifics you should also be translating foreign names literally.

Well, right, translating names would be using the same logic, just going to a further extreme with it.

The reason I brought all of this up is because The Evil Thing was referring to it when he brought up Venuti (I think). There really is a school of thought that says that all signs of foreign-ness should be removed in order to create the "best" translation. It's not like I was making that up!

Elfgames posted:

And as for "untranslatable concepts" I call bullshit. Just because something doesn't have a direct easy 1 to 1 translation doesn't mean it's untranslatable it means you have to be flexible and creative. In the case of "Noona" there may be multiple words you can use, something like Lady or Big Sister depending on the context.

I never said "untranslatable", I just said there are some things with no exact equivalent. That's why, just like you say, you have to be flexible and creative. But doing that takes more skill on the part of the translator, which then requires more trust on the part of the reader. Some translators are up to the challenge, but some aren't and so personally, for me, I'd rather if honorifics are left in a translation. (though honestly it's not that big of a deal)

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 27, 2014

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Shouldn't that just be "The people are like garbage"?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Elite posted:

I'm not exactly seeing the problem in those examples.

I have no idea what an okonomiyaki is, but I know what a pancake is.
I have no idea what a shamisen is, but I know what a ukelele is.

Now even if pancake and ukelele are only half correct, I'd still wager that the difference between a pancake and an okonomiyaki isn't particularly important. In any language being understood is more important than being 100% technically accurate and in your examples I don't think the loss of information is going to be harmful. Saying pancake instead of okonomiyaki isn't going to undermine the story... and if it does somehow cripple the story then by all means say okonomiyaki instead, but I'm pretty certain that'd be the exception rather than the rule.

Sure you could have a TN saying "okonomiyaki = a type of savory pancake" in which case I'd wonder why you didn't just say pancake. Or you could describe the dish, in which case I'd wonder why you spent so much time explaining such a tangential detail.

Yes there are definitely cases where translating everything is difficult (as is the case with noona here and japanese honorifics) and losing information harms the story. But it looks like you're using a slippery slope argument for the small details, that I don't really believe in. I think most people will accept that if you're reading/watching something from a foreign language then some things might not translate well, and that some things might be too important to accept any loss of meaning.

IMO the basic goal of any translation is to allow new people to understand and enjoy a work (people will disagree on the best way to do this, but surely this is common starting ground).

Trying to preserve 100% of the orginal meaning is futile as any translation will have some loss of information, so you come up with something that makes sense to the new audience.

Trying to 'completely purge foreign-ness' smacks of taking localizations too far in a way that goes beyond being simply understood and extends into making things familiar and comfortable. This would be translating an okonomiyakin into a hamburger because hey people eat hamburgers.

This is just my particularly preference and thoughts on translations. Other people probably have wildly different opinions, but hey you did say it was an interesting topic. Those are always dangerous words.

Well said. I think your view is a totally valid one. I definitely agree that those kind of details (like the difference between ukelele & a shamisen, or if a girl called her friend with "kun" or "san") are most likely something that won't make a large difference in the story, and all the main beats & tones will still be communicated.

Even in the case of honorifics, when you take away the "san" or "kun" you should still be able to tell whether the dialog is respectful or casual, and if you can't tell that, then there's an even bigger problem. It's really just a small issue of nuance 90%+ of the time.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Sacro posted:

If you want to not lose context and meaning from the original work learn the original language and stop reading translations. In English speaking cultures we often appropriate the foreign language word for prepared dishes so seeing foreign words for food isn't abnormal. Oddly enough leaving honorifics in romanized form never happens outside of the amateur fansub community. Maybe it is correlated to whatever mental defect causes people to meltdown when others steal their work that they are stealing.

Or maybe it's because the die-hard fans that are downloading & watching fansubs is a different audience than the more mainstream audience commercial subtitles are made for, and it can be more safely assumed that they have a knowledge of things like honorifics?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Sacro posted:

That's the thing though: learn Japanese or Korean if you shudder at the thought of losing precious context. As has been discussed, translating loses a lot of context and subtlety from the original work regardless of how skilled the translator is or how literal or liberal they are working. Drawing the line at leaving honorifics in is asinine and alienating, just make it fully understandable in the target language. The reason we are even talking about this is because people don't know what the gently caress noona is and it cannot be inferred by context, and this place is about as smelly nerd haven as it gets.

Alienating to who? If you're suggesting that a significant portion of the people who watch fansubs don't understand Japanese honorifics and are thus "alienated" by their use I'm going to have to disagree with you. You're definitely right that it'd be alienating if people did it in any kind of mass-consumer version, but I'm not talking about that.

WRT to the noona thing; your assertion that all nerds can just be lumped into one pile is silly. (you basically say "ADTRW is the best place to go to find people who know about Korean culture, because they are nerds") Yes, ADTRW is a super big nerd haven... of people who know a lot about Japanese stuff. It's fair to assume that anime & manga fans know some things about Japanese culture but that doesn't mean you should also assume they know a lot about Korean culture.

(so yeah, of course just leaving in "noona" without even a TL note was lazy bad translating, I don't think anyone's arguing that it was good)

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Serious Frolicking posted:

Hey, lil baby anime. Any chance you can close the thread until this retarded slap fight is out of people's systems?

If people are annoyed by this then yeah, someone should definitely make a thread for it if anyone still wants to discuss it.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Mo_Steel posted:

Chapter 35 is up. :homebrew: Use that Auction House :homebrew:

Also why did his mom suddenly get info revealed and that fast delivery service is simply the best.

Holy poo poo what is up with the quality, it looks like they accidentally saved the images with 8-bit color quality.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 1, 2014

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Dan7el posted:

Well, we had him learn some skills from a book early on, but mostly, he's learned skills on his own. "I think I'll learn how to twist my mana into a rope." Ding. "You learned rope mana level 1."

Why doesn't he just go, "I think I'll learn how to summon an earth elemental? And squeeze his eyes shut and concentrate. Ding. You leaned level 1 Earth Elemental Summoning. Instead of buying books off of eBysmal-Bay?

Just a thought. Also, I'm surprised his mom is only level 15. I'm assuming that the LEGENDARY in front of that means something like, a Legendary level 15 is equal to a normal level 75 or something ridiculous. I hope, anyway.

It is curious why he can finally read her level, though. I wonder if she forgot to turn on her anonymous switch this morning? Maybe she changed sides from Horde to Alliance? Hard to tell.

I would like to see him up his baseball bat bludgeoning skills.

He's never been shown creating new skills from scratch like that. So far all of his created skills have been variants on stuff he already knew. He read a book to learn how to manipulate mana, then ran with that and created several specific applications of it.

The "skills" he makes are basically a specific application of knowledge that he already knows, set aside as its own thing. It's nothing that anyone wouldn't be able to do, he just gets a "hotkey" for it and his mastery of the skill is more quantified.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Dan7el posted:

The Gamer, Character Sheet
Just a basic list, nothing fancy. Put this in the OP if you want. The character levels shown aren't necessarily up to date as they change over time. I basically got screenshots of the first time they showed up.

Han Jee Han -- our protagonist and hero.

Shin Sun Il -- our hero's best friend.

Han Jung Sook -- Jee Han's mom.

Kwan Shi Yun -- a girl with red hair. She's angry and doesn't like Hwan Sung Gon.

Hwan Sung Gon -- some high level guy. He's a father and a teacher. I'm pretty sure he's evil because he wears sunglasses.

Do Gi Hyun -- I don't know if this bears repeating, but he's a man of justice. He is a passionate teacher, and level 15.

Poong Sae Young Sun Il's cousin. Tae Kwon Do champion.

Shin Sun Oh -- He's Shin Sun Il's grandfather and a heavyweight in the martial arts and magical word. I just call him "The Big Oh".

Hwan Sung Ah -- The evil father/teacher/sunglasses dude's daughter. She's sick, sort of.

Sung Ma Hyun -- He runs the Abyss' eBay.

What about the Witch and her partner? I actually have completely forgot when they first showed up.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Kaja Rainbow posted:

I don't recall it being mentioned, but the MC's mother had a slightly different name display when her title and level became visible. In the panel comparison of her previous ??? title/level and current level 15 Legendary Housewife status, the previous one has Jung Sook displayed, but the newer one has JungSook displayed. If this isn't a typo (it very well could be), it's a very curious detail.

It's a different translator. Also from what little I understand Korean romanization systems are a GIANT mess.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Dr_Amazing posted:

He's already seen levels way above 15 so it's not like the level difference has evened out.

What's the highest level he's seen? Level 46 black-suit? I wonder what level he was then and what level he is now.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Dan7el posted:

Well, the names do change, but I chalk that up to translation issues: Jun vs Jung and Sun vs Sung, etc.

The witch and her warrior don't get named. As far as I can tell. This is the best I can do:

Since they're not named, I left them out. Same with the two guys that attack Jee Han.

Thanks, that makes total sense.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

pnumoman posted:

What he needs right now is more knowledge; he needs to buy and read more books, gain more skills, and level up those skills, not gain a better insight into his life.

I agree completely - which is why he needs to experiment and research his ability as much as possible. And that means putting at least a point, maybe even a few, into every stat. Especially ones that don't have clear effects. For that reason, if nothing else, should put at least a point into Wisdom. Or find an item or spell that'll temporarily raise it, at least.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

pnumoman posted:

When he increases his wisdom, he'll finally start to use the Pause command in the main menu.

Honestly, that did occur to me - if Wisdom is about making the best of the choices you already know you have, this would basically be the ultimate application of that concept. Maybe start with just a bullet-time mode, and eventually work up to a pause. And he can grind his Pause skill so that he can keep the game paused for longer.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Arkeus posted:

'Health mind in a healthy body' is a whole load of trash in real life, and is even worse in this webtoon where he already has passives that grants him that.

It's really not, if your metabolism is all jacked up it'll leave you feeling very sluggish. Exercise and diet also have very direct effects on neurochemistry.

I agree that this kinda stuff probably doesn't have a place in this webtoon but in the real world it's anything but a load of trash.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

A big flaming stink posted:

How exactly is a summon going to help him not get killed, anyway? He talks about it tanking for him but real life doesn't have aggro management; anyone with a brain is still just going to try to make him into a fine paste even if he summons a beefy dude to fight for him.

Hunter x Hunter has a guy with pet skills and he handles this issue with a skill allowing him to switch places with his summons at any time, letting them take the hit for him.

Jeehan really needs some teleport skills.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I hope that, once he learns this super cool technique, he makes an effort to establish a decent baseline of stats. I mean, it's not like he has a ton of goals at the moment besides just being really great at killing illusions. He wants to defend himself if he's going to be a target, and he wants to help Blues Brother's daughter, but it's not like, you know, something in his quest log. He could be extraordinary at everything, relative to normal people, by spending a few hours grinding.

Honestly, I sorta side with the min-maxers on this. You're completely right that he could be super at everything relative to a normal person, but that doesn't get him very far when the people trying to kill him would still be way ahead of him.

Yeah, it's useful for him to at least figure out what the different stats do and things like that, but generally he's probably best off creating a "focused build". Even if he's twice as fast as Usain Bolt, if he's still too slow to dodge a killing blow from a hunter then it doesn't do him any good. And the worst part is that he'd have to take away time & resources from training Int, his main stat, if he wants to ever improve that dodge skill.

If he instead makes an Int-based magical dodge skill, it'll synergize much better with the rest of his stuff, like the mana and magic breathing passives.

Even if it seems reasonable to train his physical stats up to a baseline level, it's not clear that he'd get anything worthwhile out of it that wouldn't be better served by just using that same training on his magic skills.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 10:51 on May 9, 2014

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Twiddy posted:

While all of you what said is very true, statistically, all my gamer instincts are making me really gunshy about going all in on his magic. More importantly, he doesn't know all the specifics of what he may might be up against. As soon as runs into someone that has a simple ability like "cancels magic" he would be straight up dead. We can't really talk numbers because it's not clear yet what the trade offs are in this scenario (for example, if a stat gets increasingly expensive, losing 1 int in the interest of getting a few more points in dexterity and strength or whatever might be worth it). It'll be a lot more difficult to justify if he has to give up 1 int for 1 str.

In any case, the power of his ability seems to be in its malleability. With a tool that powerful, I would've ever want to be in a situation where "they handle my only method of doing anything" kills you. I'm not even asking for that much (well, "that much" depending on how every point in str correlates to real world gain). Just enough agility so that he's not awkwardly dodging like a fish out of water. Just enough endurance that he can actually fight for a while without breathing heavily. Something that's above whatever build his scrawny, gamer, teenage rear end is in.

Yeah that's probably some really good points. I guess the "magic can handle everything" argument works great in theory, but not in practice.

What I mean is, I think it's true that any obstacle he comes across, he could beat with magic... but that's only if he's prepared! It takes him a long time to develop and train a new skill. If he comes up against something, like you said, that somehow gets around all his magic defenses then he's totally hosed, probably in one hit. Over time, he'd eventually overcome any obstacle, but not necessarily on the first fight.

Basically the "all-in on magic" theory works super good in a setting like an MMO where you have unlimited retries/respawns, but in the real world where he only gets one shot he better have a loving back-up plan.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

What does "Witch of Massacre" even mean? She's the Mass Murder Witch? It's her job as the Massacring Mage? The Mistress of Mayhem and the Wicked Witch of loving Your poo poo Up? She's the wily wizard who hails from the town of Massacre Gulch, up the ways from Slaughter Valley?

Presumably she's a witch, but one that's known for massacre.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Arkeus posted:

The problem is that if he comes against someone who can take care of all of his magical defenses but also put a minimum of points into Physical Combat abilities, it's only going to help him if the enemy is like 30 levels under him.

Do we know that for sure?

Also, I'm not arguing it'll help him do anything offensive, just defense and evasion and taking hits. Maybe hold on a little longer until help arrives. I feel like it'd be really useful if he didn't just get killed the first time if he gets hit with his guard down, and moving from "killed in one shot" to "killed in two shots" might not require that much stat investment.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 9, 2014

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Clarste posted:

Just from a gaming point of view, moving from one hit to two hits is probably the single biggest stat investment that anything could ever possibly require.

I guess Korean MMOs might be like this but this is definitely not true in every game. In many, many games the only way for your character to be one-shottable is if you never put any effort into building their defenses, exactly as Jee-han is doing. There's also a difference between "one shottable by powerful attacks" and "one-shottable by every attack". If he could at least get his HP to the point that he can survive a hit from a regular attack, even if special moves still kill him, that would be big. Everyone benefits from more HP.

Clarste posted:

I think people in this thread are much too worried about some hypothetical "mana void" attack from an enemy. What you have to realize though is that strength uses mana too. It's not like his buddy is a normal human in excellent physical condition or anything: they're clearly using ancient chi techniques to improve their bodies. Raising his strength is in essence raising his strength magically, because the Gamer ability is itself magic. A true mana void attack would negate any strength boosts as well.

It's not just mana-void though. There could be any kind of wild crazy attack that he just isn't prepared for, for whatever reason. HxH is a good story to draw examples from. Like right now, how can he counter an invisible enemy? What about one that attacks with sight or sound? Or mind control? You can't be prepared for every possible situation. So you need a back-up plan for when you can't safely fight an opponent.

But I can see your point that his best back-up is probably to have a mana-based retreat skill.

Man, this is all a really pointless thing to discuss. Narratively it doesn't matter much. But it's sorta fun so whatever.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

KittyEmpress posted:

Just to note, it hasn't come up yet but we learned early on that exercise can raise his strength (as well as give xp) and studying can raise his int. By that logic, he should be capable of training himself to at least peak-physical ability.with enough time and effort, without spending any XP.

You're right but he could also just spend that time studying for int instead. He's only got limited time, just like he only has limited skill points to allocate from leveling up. So he's losing out on his min-maxing either way.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

SerSpook posted:

Jee-Han boosts his physical abilities with the Breathing Technique. As it levels up, he gathers ki/mana in his body and it passively improves his abilities even when not using the active form. Sun-Il even said that the Breathing Technique alone could make him pretty powerful, it'll just be a slower growth than his grinding.

He can likely get other buffs from going full Mage, not to mention his mana barrier will basically be completely sustainable once get gets it high enough. Also, mana sword for melee combat. He can train his sword skill and use that skill with an Int modified weapon, for those cases when he gets into melee.

You know, upon review it does kinda seem that the entire DBZ ki-control powerset could fall under what this series considers "magic". They're all just using mana/ki-barriers and floating/flying/flash-stepping with mana/ki and shooting mana/ki blasts.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

Besides the fact that that's how experience works in every RPG ever, yes. He mentioned a while back that killing zombies wasn't helping anymore.

I hate to argue with you since your point is right, but I don't think that supports your argument. The zombies are lower level than him now, he needs to level up off of higher level monsters. That doesn't mean he wouldn't level just as fast against same-level monsters at level 20 as he did at level 10.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

It means you need more experience to level up, which does in fact mean it takes more time.

No it doesn't. I don't get your argument. You need more experience to level up at 20 than at 10, but level 20 enemies also give you more experience. So just saying "I can't get by killing enemies 10 levels below me, I have to kill same-level enemies" doesn't mean it takes longer to level by itself. It just means you switch which enemies you're fighting and proceed as normal.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

buzmeg posted:

Spoilers folks.

Anyhow, I'm *very* interested to see whether he actually got the tank he wished for.

I don't know which would be funnier, that he didn't get the tank he wanted ...

Or that he actually *did* get the tank he wanted (I think this has the possibility to be way funnier).

Obviously she didn't look real solid herself, but she had bits of earth and stuff floating around her. It's within imagination that she might be able to do earth-bendy stuff and block attacks that way.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Arkeus posted:

New chapter is up: http://mngacow.com/The-Gamer/39/?all
Amusingly, the translators mention a mistake in the chapter that has since been corrected.

They do? I don't see a TL note.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Whats with the Ogre Panties?
And why translate them as panties anyways? Briefs makes more sense.

If it was Japanese I'd say they were "pantsu" which can mean "panties" but generally just means "pants" in the British sense but... this isn't Japanese so who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Wolpertinger posted:

No, things like the book are made from presumably some sort of actual wizard dude writing books about magic, and the items are actually made by people. That's why his ability is so good.

I suppose there might also be naturally existing monsters somewhere in the world, and presumably you could loot from them just as you would loot a rhino horn from an African Rhinoceros, but those "real" monsters would be entirely different from the ones we've seen so far which were created out of magic for ID fields. Those magically created ones sort of "despawn" when they're killed, preventing looting.