Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrilliantFool
Jan 23, 2007

Bravo.
Noragami (Stray Gods) is a twelve episode series about gods and cats.

Okay, I lied. Noragami is actually about a small-time god of war named Yato who makes his living by granting wishes- which can range from the utterly mundane to the seemingly impossible. Whilst attempting to fulfill one of these wishes, he runs into Hiyori Iki, who gets turned into a half-ghost-person after trying to push him out of the way of a bus. Naturally, she isn't too happy with this, and as such makes a wish for Yato to return her to normal.

Staff:
Director: Kotaro Tamura (Assistant Director on Wolf Children; otherwise, not much)
Series Composition: Deko Akao (Arakawa Under the Bridge, Natsu no Arashi)
Music: Taku Iwasaki (Gurren Lagann, eps 10-26 of JJBA, a bunch of other stuff)
Animation Studio: Bones

Characters:

Yato (VA: Hiroshi Kamiya; Araragi Koyomi in Bakemonogatari, Zetsubou-sensei, Orihara Izaya in Durarara!!)
Dreams of building a massive shrine to himself, and will grant any wish for five yen (about a nickel). He's also pretty much a homeless bum.

Hiyori Iki (VA: Maaya Uchida; Rikka Takanashi from Chuunibyou demo Koi Shitai, Hajime Ichinose from Gatchaman Crowds)
Hiyori is a headstrong high school girl who tends to throw herself into danger with aplomb. Can you guess who usually ends up bailing her out of trouble? She's not exactly a typical damsel in distress, however, and bases her fighting style off that of her pro-wrestling idol Tono.

Yukine (VA: Yuki Kaji; Eren Yeager in Attack on Titan, Ouma Shu from Guilty Crown)
Yukine is well and truly dead. Luckily (or unluckily) for him, instead of hanging out in purgatory or whatever he gets to be Yato's Sacred Treasure / Regalia! In battle, he can transform into a long katana.

Why should I watch this?
The music, animation, humor, and direction so far have all been superb. While the story's a bit cliche so far, it's still different enough to be interesting. Also the OP is fantastic.

Noragami is being simulcast by Funimation. Episodes are posted to their site (and Hulu) at 11AM EST on Sundays for subscribers, and a week later for everyone else.

BrilliantFool fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
You should also mention that watching with either service requires their respective membership plan, and that the episodes will be 1 week late for free. I'm pretty bummed about that.

BrilliantFool
Jan 23, 2007

Bravo.
I thought that was pretty much common knowledge? Whatever, it's in the OP now.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
There's a delay for Hulu although I'm not sure how long exactly. I wasn't paying attention to when the previous episode went up but I'm still waiting for the third one.

I'm enjoying this so far. The manga was one I'd been meaning to read but never got around to, so after I watched the first episode I took a peek at the first volume and I think the way the beginning was presented in the anime was a lot better.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 21, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

BrilliantFool posted:

I thought that was pretty much common knowledge? Whatever, it's in the OP now.

The first two episodes weren't delayed, so I imagine people were thrown when the third was, unless this is a common thing that Funimation does. They didn't do it with Railgun or Maou-sama over the summer though.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Everything Burrito posted:

There's a delay for Hulu although I'm not sure how long exactly. I wasn't paying attention to when the previous episode went up but I'm still waiting for the third one.

I'm enjoying this so far. The manga was one I'd been meaning to read but never got around to, so after I watched the first episode I took a peek at the first volume and I think the way the beginning was presented in the anime was a lot better.

Yeah, the anime does a whole lot better job than the manga because the author seems to be pretty dull when it comes to social issues like suicide, at least the impression I got from the first few chapters. It could mean that he was doing it on purpose to have Yato look like a giant jerk but you dont really want that to happen so early in a series cause it will just turn people off.

I stopped reading it a few chapters ahead of where the anime is. The anime is just doing a better job at it.

BrilliantFool
Jan 23, 2007

Bravo.
Episode 4 is out, and it owns. There's also some new animation in the OP. (Episode 3 is up for nonsubscribers.)

The scene where they're falling off the building had me in hysterics.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Finally getting to watch ep3. This show is so good :allears:

I laughed so hard with the whole bit where the cat kicks Yato's rear end, and at the restaurant -- "Gods don't poop"

The action sequence was sadly brief but so pretty.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Can someone please explain the significance of Regalia names? In episode 4, Kofuku's Regalia introduces himself with a base name (Kuro), a Regalia name (Koku), and his name as a person (Daikoku). I understand the base name is supposed to be a word of power of their kanji tattoo, and the personal name seems like a nickname developed off either the base or Regalia name.

I just don't understand the Regalia name. In episode 1 when he recruits Yukine, Yato says he is Yuki with Setsu as the Regalia name, but summons the sword using Sekki. Is it some kind of kanji pun?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

BrilliantFool posted:

Episode 4 is out, and it owns. There's also some new animation in the OP. (Episode 3 is up for nonsubscribers.)

The scene where they're falling off the building had me in hysterics.

Yeah, that scene was brillant. Yukine and Hiyori even gave up freaking out after awhile.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Just watched the first two episodes. I'm really liking this show right now! The humor is good, and the animation is snazzy looking during the action scenes. I love the fact that Hiyori is somewhat different than a lot of other damsel in distress types you see in anime (pro-wrestling moves :allears:).

Show's pretty chill. I haven't watched many shows from the winter season other than Tonari no Seki-kun, so I'm glad I found another one to watch.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

grrarg posted:

Can someone please explain the significance of Regalia names? In episode 4, Kofuku's Regalia introduces himself with a base name (Kuro), a Regalia name (Koku), and his name as a person (Daikoku). I understand the base name is supposed to be a word of power of their kanji tattoo, and the personal name seems like a nickname developed off either the base or Regalia name.

I just don't understand the Regalia name. In episode 1 when he recruits Yukine, Yato says he is Yuki with Setsu as the Regalia name, but summons the sword using Sekki. Is it some kind of kanji pun?

Its exploiting Kanji's basically. Yuki is snow, but the kanji for snow can be read as setsu as well. Kuro is black, but its Kanji can be read as Koku. The given name is just something the gods give them so they can communicate with them as people instead of objects.

Their summoning name has to do with truncating their vessel name with the ki from shinki. Setsu becomes Sekki. Koku becomes Kokki.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 27, 2014

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
This show is like YuYu Hakusho and Binbougami Ga! had a baby raised by the protagonist of Teppu and Zetsubou-sensei.

Having a dead girl yell "What if you had died?" to Zetsubou-sensei is pretty funny.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

So how does a god of misfortune gain followers? Who would want to pray to Kofuku?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

So how does a god of misfortune gain followers? Who would want to pray to Kofuku?

People really into schadenfreude.

Or considering her whole work name thing, people wanting to pray to a prosperity god but dont know they are praying to a misfortune one.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Or considering her whole work name thing, people wanting to pray to a prosperity god but dont know they are praying to a misfortune one.

Woah, she's bad. Really bad.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I think with that sort of god, its less worship and more placation to get it to leave/stay away.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah I'm guessing most of the worship Kofuku gets is the "Please, please don't hurt me" variety.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

paragon1 posted:

Yeah I'm guessing most of the worship Kofuku gets is the "Please, please don't hurt me" variety.
And probably some of the 'bring misfortune to my enemies' variety, too.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Just watched ep 3, and it still feels bland, though not as much as episode 2. I can't really pinpoint what it is I don't like, but the show feels lacking in something.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I like how something thats usually seen as creepy, Hiyori's constantly saying how good Yato and Yukine smell, gets even worse when you figure out that she's doing it subconsciously because of being split human/phantom. She's smelling them like you would a savory steak and doesn't realize it yet.

Also EP5 continued the type of insane comedy ep4 had but took a really grim twist near the end. Though that scene was really well executed. The soundtrack continues to own.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 2, 2014

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I like how something thats usually seen as creepy, Hiyori's constantly saying how good Yato and Yukine smell, gets even worse when you figure out that she's doing it subconsciously because of being split human/phantom. She's smelling them like you would a savory steak and doesn't realize it yet.

I hope Yukine realizes this at some point and is then afraid of Hiyori.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

The music at the end was fantastic. That was a really sad soundtrack. I'm pleasantly surprised at how well the comedy part and the darker part meshed up together, this show is really well done

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
ep4: Looks like we're finally getting some sense of the overarching conflict. Lots of backstory intrigue too.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

ViggyNash posted:

ep4: Looks like we're finally getting some sense of the overarching conflict. Lots of backstory intrigue too.

Yeah, I had figured Yato's past was pretty much what we were shown but it was nice to actually see it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, I had figured Yato's past was pretty much what we were shown but it was nice to actually see it.

I like it mostly because of how much it contrasts his mostly 1 note personality up to this point. The only hint that there was more to him than what meets the eye is what he said about suicide in episode 3.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
The former badass/present goofball character is one I like because of that tension between their killer nature and the bumbling personality they've assumed to cover it up or distance themselves from it.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

The former badass/present goofball character is one I like because of that tension between their killer nature and the bumbling personality they've assumed to cover it up or distance themselves from it.

Araragi does Gintoki, in a nutshell.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

I like it mostly because of how much it contrasts his mostly 1 note personality up to this point. The only hint that there was more to him than what meets the eye is what he said about suicide in episode 3.

This actually comes out much earlier in the manga than it does in the anime. In the first chapter of the manga the girl that wishes for people to stop bullying her gets disappointed because the moment after Yato finishes the phantom people start to bully her again for some other dumb reason. She plans to kill herself and Tomoe starts pleading to Yato to help her before she does it, he only helps her because of her nagging. He does so by breaking every connection she had done with other people, effectively making her a stranger to everyone. He goes really in depth about how little he thinks of people that take their own lives.

Yato comes out a like a huge jerk really early in the manga which makes him less approachable as a character. Nora is nowhere in the chapters I read but by this time we already had a clear conflict set up with Yato and another character. Still, Yato comes out as a better character in the anime than in the manga, even if its a tad slower overall. The manga didn't even have the EP4 attempted suicide scene, which was hilarious.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

By the way, Kofuku has the following kanji: 'small, little' + 'luck, fortune'

I love how ambivalent her name is.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

paragon1 posted:

How to get rid of her:

quote:

At the end of each month, merchants in Senba made baked and plate-shaped miso, then a bantō (番頭, head clerk), with the plate-shaped miso in his hands, walked around till the air was filled with its appetizing smell. After a while, he bent the plate-shaped miso closed. The miso's smell makes binbōgamis come out of the houses they inhabit and traps them in it. The bantō dumps the miso into a river and washes the smell away before returning.

quote:

...how to send a binbōgami away: Make some baked rice and baked miso, and place them on an oshiki (wooden board, with four bent edges to serve as a tray), and take it through the back door and dump them into the river. The old man also reveals how to avoid binbōgami thereafter: Not to make any baked miso, which is preferred by binbōgami...

Best method:

quote:

If you pray at the small shrine to welcome binbōgami temporarily, and send him away 21 days later, it is said, you can avoid binbōgami thereafter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binb%C5%8Dgami

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

This looks a little cliche, but I just started watching it anyway because I was bored and the English title is awesome. Has the quality stayed high since this thread died?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I thought ep3 was pretty dull but ep4 and ep5 were great.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

I had to force myself to not watch every currently aired episode in one day, which I would normally never want to do, so I guess this must be quite good. My only complaint is the translator's choice of the word 'regalia'. Does it actually make sense for a reason I'm not seeing?

BrilliantFool
Jan 23, 2007

Bravo.

Portable Staplefrog posted:

I had to force myself to not watch every currently aired episode in one day, which I would normally never want to do, so I guess this must be quite good. My only complaint is the translator's choice of the word 'regalia'. Does it actually make sense for a reason I'm not seeing?

I looked it up and apparently the term they use, shinki/神器, is also used to refer to the Imperial Regalia of Japan. That's probably where they got it from. (Also because "sacred treasure" sounds less cool and isn't quite as specific, maybe?)

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I'm not sure it makes all that much sense. Regalia is "the emblems or insignia of royalty, especially the crown, sceptre, and other ornaments used at a coronation," or "the distinctive clothing worn and ornaments carried at formal occasions as an indication of status," while shinki is, in its purest form, "an instrument used when worshipping (a) god." The 神器 used in the Imperial Regalia is read "jingi", and while they're pretty much the same thing, I'd imagine the author chose the shinki reading to separate them to some extent.

In the end, the original meaning of the word probably doesn't even matter, and it's treated as show-specific jargon by wikipedia. Simplest would just be to make it "divine instrument" or something cool-sounding with similar meaning.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
Yes, 神器 literally means divine tool/weapon/instrument.
The Imperial Regalia is also used in this way because traditionally, the Imperial family is considered to be divine in origin for the Japanese.

BrilliantFool
Jan 23, 2007

Bravo.
Episode 6 is out. I'm kind of digging the moral ambiguity of pretty much everyone in this.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm getting annoyed at how it feels like all conflict in the show is created by Yato being a huge jerk and refusing to explain anything for no apparent reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008
It doesn't seem like Yato is the jerk here to me.

• Locked thread