Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Kid Nation was the best show ever made and I still cannot believe they were allowed to make it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
Kid Nation was incredible, thanks

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
He was probably the chillest kid on that show too

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
I loved Kid Nation so much, thank you for that link!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

SteveVizsla posted:

Looking for an image of the right kid also turned up a Reddit AMA from last year that has much more detailed stuff.

Here's a readable version of that AMA

http://skimreddit.com/http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1h6srx/i_was_on_the_childs_reality_tv_show_kid_nation/

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Met posted:

Watched through Redemption Island. I can't believe Ashley and Natalie couldn't make decisions in their own interest.

In the final five, they didn't go with Andrea's plan to take out Rob...

Ashley - "Andrea tried to throw me and Natalie under the bus and say neither of us made big moves this game. But it's funny because she's not here anymore and I am so I get the last laugh when all is said and done."

WHAT WAS YOUR GAME PLAN?! OH MY GOD. You went with SPITE instead of realizing who your biggest threat in the game was! She must have been too full of herself with winning the last two immunity challenges and somehow expected that momentum to carry... but even so, she would have had a better shot against Andrea than Rob.

Actually the girls knew Rob had the idol so there was no point in voting for him.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh hey you guys there's a new season of Awful Survivor currently in signups. If you want to find out whether you're a Cochran or a Franesqua then this is the place to go. Seriously, do it. It's super fun.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

This is reddit in a nutshell. I'm more than a little disturbed by how keen people were to learn about the fapping habbits of kid nation participants.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Kid Nation was amazing and cheesy and I can't believe it was made. Sophia was the best kid on that show.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Great AMA, great show, and sadly it'll never happen again, which makes it all the more special.

Haha I just found this bit:

quote:

But best of all: the producers let us film a scene once! That was a blast. It was in one of the last couple episodes, and when two yellow people were talking I worked the camera and she did the boom mic. It was great.

Magical.

Factor Mystic fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 8, 2014

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I was a big fan of Kid Nation, and I wish there were more (although I understand why there won't be). But I can't imagine letting my kid go on that show. It doesn't sound like there really was any supervision. I know that there were cameramen, but I think they were more there to record and encourage certain behavior.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Piell posted:

Kid Nation was the best show ever made and I still cannot believe they were allowed to make it.

Kid Nation killed Jericho, the real best show ever made, so gently caress Kid Nation.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Rarity posted:

Oh hey you guys there's a new season of Awful Survivor currently in signups. If you want to find out whether you're a Cochran or a Franesqua then this is the place to go. Seriously, do it. It's super fun.

I can't participate during those hours, but I'll definitely keep an eye on that thread. Looks amusing!

I was going to comment about the whole thing with Natalie/Ashley from RI, but I honestly have tried to purge that whole season from my memory. I know there were times when the girls could've voted Rob off if they had blindsided him, which I think would've been very easy to do because his head was so far up his rear end and inflated beyond the point that it could be removed. All I know is I sat there rolling my eyes into the back of my skull every time he got past the perfect time for a blindside. They really had a bunch of clueless players with him that season and whether or not that was intentional, who knows. :iiam:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Good news! (Spoilering this because it relates to next season)

Looks like redemption island got dumped at the last minute: http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/survivor_san_juan_del_sur/2014_Jun_05_no-redemption-island

Bad news:

2 players got pulled by medical at the last minute, and they decided to go ahead and do the season two players short:

http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/survivor_san_juan_del_sur/2014_Jun_03_two-out-18-players

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

The Lord Bude posted:

Looks like redemption island got dumped at the last minute: http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/survivor_san_juan_del_sur/2014_Jun_05_no-redemption-island

Bad news:

2 players got pulled by medical at the last minute, and they decided to go ahead and do the season two players short:

http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/survivor_san_juan_del_sur/2014_Jun_03_two-out-18-players

Good news for Redemption, it's probably because they lost two people. I wonder if the two people leaving are in the same "family" group or if there are going to be two people without a relative on the island.

also castaway confirmation: looks like it's Amazing Race Twinnies confirmed for the season, though it was almost certain before

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

The Lord Bude posted:

Bad news:

The redemption island will play as some kind of challenge in rewards though and jeff said it needs to get more bloody meanin it's probably loved ones facing each other off

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

Poque posted:

also castaway confirmation: looks like it's Amazing Race Twinnies confirmed for the season, though it was almost certain before

This almost makes me not want to watch this season.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Mercaptopropyl posted:

Except Survivor is more of a popularity contest then something depending entirely on their skill. They'll have to change their attitude or they'll be in trouble, I think. TWINNIEEEEEEE

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mercaptopropyl posted:

I wanna see them go long, strong and hard :quagmire:

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

Juanito posted:

Except Survivor is more of a popularity contest then something depending entirely on their skill. They'll have to change their attitude or they'll be in trouble, I think. TWINNIEEEEEEE

Sometimes unpopular and annoying people are kept around for most if not all of the game.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Looks like many of the Survivor editors are on strike:

http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2014/08/survivor-editors-want-union/

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Good on them, hopefully it works out. If it delays the show a little bit I'd be fine with waiting.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
The Survivor editors are goddamned heroes who deserve to be paid well for their efforts. :colbert:

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
The strike is over. http://deadline.com/2014/08/survivor-strike-mark-burnett-editors-cbs-reality-show-818767/

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Unions rule. :swoon:

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH
Did anyone else check out RHAP with tony? Tony was pretty hyped and blowing out fishbach on all his poo-pooing of tony's game. Does anyone know why tony calls rob c, "rocking rob."

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Looks reasonable. Hopefully the producers will get what they're asking for.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Tyree posted:

Did anyone else check out RHAP with tony? Tony was pretty hyped and blowing out fishbach on all his poo-pooing of tony's game. Does anyone know why tony calls rob c, "rocking rob."
Hey thanks for mentioning this, it's a really good podcast. Tony has all kinds of interesting and funny poo poo to say.

Here's something that happened:

Tony is asked what the story was behind the vote that took out Cliff. He's told it seemed like he was against it, and was saying they had to vote out LJ. He's asked if Trish swayed his vote.

Very early in the show, we get the scene where Cliff admits to playing basketball and Woo says he has some his cards. Tony says he's a construction worker right there, we just didn't see it, and they make a three person alliance deal. (He defends that lie on the podcast by saying some people don't like cops (which is very true) and he doesn't want any enemies just because of what he does. He also briefly slips back into talking about how talented cops are and how someone might be threatened by that, heh.) Anyway, this is why when Sarah pegged him as a cop, he lied to her. He had already told his allies he was a construction worker.

He then hides in the spy shack. He says he would hide in there for 2-3 hours at a time. While hiding in the spy shack, he hears Cliff setting up an alliance with Lindsey, and saying it's himself, Lindsey, and Woo - and Lindsey and Sarah are also close. This is why he was focused on taking out Cliff, and he now finds that Trish and himself are out 4-2. He wants to boot Cliff from this moment on. He tells Sarah he's a cop, they form Cops'r'Us, and now they have 3 with Trish, and that pulls in Woo to make it 4.

When the swap happens, he fully wanted to vote out Cliff the entire time. The scene we saw of him saying "we need to get LJ out," he says, was something he was saying post-merge, and the editing team dyed his buff and moved the clip up to misdirect the audience. What the hell?? Stephen or Rob confirms that they do edit buff colors for previews and stuff sometimes and that's a tool post-production has. Err, I don't like that though, they didn't just make that vote a twist/surprise, they made us all think Trish was pulling strings and changing Tony's mind there.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
See? The editors are MAGICAL.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I don't know if I buy that. It's usually very obvious when the editors are playing tricks to make a vote seem close (stitching together a bunch of unrelated confessionals to make it seem like Jeremiah might vote to keep Brice early on, for instance). I'd have to go back and watch to get a better idea, but from what I remember that episode seemed very coherent and consistent with its story. If Tony was so hell bent on getting Cliff out that episode, why wasn't Woo apart of it when he was clearly on board days before?

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

If we were to go back and watch it, wouldn't facial hair give the edit away?

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Maybe, but that's because you're looking for it. iirc on rewatch it was obvious that Eddie's famous dog bar commercial was filmed waaay earlier than day 38, but we didn't notice that at first.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Season 1 is weird.

That's not even a challenge. They're just doing this in their free time.

Edit: Ha. In the merger episode everyone was so offended that people would ally together for a strategic vote.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Aug 17, 2014

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Met posted:

Season 1 is weird.

The first tribal council is crazy to watch. It's completely disorganized, like a group of people just sitting around a fire randomly speaking before Jeff suddenly tells them to go vote. Such a contrast compared to what TC is like now.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
and there was hardly any strategic voting until after the merger. Everyone just voted for whoever they didn't personally like. Four or five people getting votes. :psyduck:

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sean voting in ABC order. :allears:

Evil Trout
Nov 16, 2004

The evilest trout of them all
Looks like there's no more live tweeting from contestants:

https://twitter.com/JeffProbst/status/502638377922232320

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Why stop watching the show because the contestants are tweeting? :psyduck:

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Met posted:

Why stop watching the show because the contestants are tweeting? :psyduck:

Yeah, that seems super duper dumb to me. I can only guess that for some reason they think Survivor is live and so it ruins their suspension of disbelief that the survivors are home and tweeting?

It's pure crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Uh, it's cause they were giving away show information through their tweets. Especially the ones where they addressed each other.

• Locked thread