Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

Adus posted:

Fabio is a great winner if only because he kept those other idiots from winning. As much as people make fun of Fabio for being dumb, Chase may have been one of the dumbest Survivor players I've ever seen.

Agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

Strictly speaking it isn't a proper extended premiere, they just decided to air the first two episodes back to back because of the olympics.

God forbid they just push the show back a week and not do a recap episode late in the season

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

Samarium posted:

You left out the best/worst part: The idea came from Tyler Perry, and Jeff wants to call it the Tyler Perry idol.

This is a joke, right? It has to be.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

Why do we even need a HII anyway? Because without it someone like Russell can't get very far?

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

should have put attorney Brad Culpepper on the Brains tribe imo

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I don't even know who Alexis is, however I'm disappointed it wasn't Jefra who went home. She is terrible.

Brice was hilarious and entertaining, but I'd have done the same thing if I were Jeremiah.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

Didn't think I'd be saying this, but Sarah is even worse at interrogating people than Tony is at chasing criminals across rooftops.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

Anonymous Zebra posted:

The thing is...sometimes a person that is on a team that loses a lot still wins the game. Not even a couple seasons ago, a woman that went to every tribal won the game. It's a mildly more risky way to play, but thinking beyond "win the challenges" is a valid and sometimes winning way to play.

What? You have got to be joking.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

Asiina posted:

Hey, 1 out of 6 people on the "lose every challenge" tribe won the game, while 0 out of 12 of the people on winning tribes won the game.

You can't argue with math!

Winning every single challenge isn't exactly ideal though, even though it's better than losing every challenge.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

Because reality shows are the most progressive shows when it comes to race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc85rAyNhzY

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

Piell posted:

J'Tia was obviously terrible, but I really think Tasha is almost as bad in terms of making terrible decisions. The flag didn't need to be placed perfectly, it just needed to be on the mat and for everyone to pull at the same time. The other teams had the callers call when to pull, Brains didn't. And the waffling between who to kick out, when J'tia should have been gone two episodes ago (not only is she the anchor in challenges, she dumped out the rice for gently caress's sake!), it's clear she is not a good player.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

KKKLIP ART posted:

I'm pretty sure Woo was pissed and didn't want to throw the challenge so that's why he stayed out. He seemed fine bailing on Cliff, but only when the situation naturally came up.

Yeah, as much as I want Woo and Cliff to stick together and go far, I was impressed that Woo went along with the idea (getting rid of Cliff) because he felt agreeing with Sarah was the best thing for him. It clearly wasn't something he wanted to do.

Woo was just saying what he needed to in order to convince Sarah he was on her side/with her. It was smart of him to act like she was only saying what he'd already been thinking.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

I think you're discounting how much the Beauties hate each other. Morgan in particular has no reason to go along with the people who cut her out and were making no secret about how she was the next boot.

a million times this. There's absolutely zero reason for Morgan to align with Jeremiah and/or Alexis, and absolutely no way Alexis would align with her.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

She has at least one valid reason, and that's to break up a united alliance of three that would gain full control of the tribe if you let them. Is Morgan smart or mature enough to rise above her petty feelings and see this? I have no idea. Equally I have no idea if she even understands her role in Jeremiah and Alexis distrusting her or just assumes she could flash her boobs at Spencer and break up the Brains anyway. I don't get why you guys think it makes more sense for her to go along with the 3 Brains than for her to form a new alliance of four if the opportunity presents itself. It seems like the best case scenario for her voting with the Brains is to become the 4th in an alliance of 3 people that as far as she can tell are united (because they weren't stupid enough to air their dirty laundry).

Hypothetically if Morgan can form an alliance with Sarah then they could basically mirror the LJ/Jefra/Tony/Trish alliance. Sarah and Morgan ally with Alexis and Jeremiah, two loose duos who don't necessarily trust each other but have a shared interest in taking down the trio that could gain control of the tribe if you vote with them. This Beauty/Brawn alliance might not be any more concrete than the other Beauty/Brawn alliance but they'd both at least be founded on the same stable notion. An alliance of 2 and 2 is a better long term move than an alliance of 3 and 1 or 3 and 2, provided you're in the small number.

I have no idea if Morgan or the rest of them will see this but I don't get why you guys think it makes no sense. This feels like the thing from a couple of weeks ago when people were criticizing Tasha and Kass for worrying if Spencer would be loyal in a merge while at the same time people were talking about the potential for Spencer to find a new alliance in a merge. They're the same scenario, just taken from different perspectives. If we acknowledge the Brains could coast to the merge by sending home one of the Beauties next then the Beauties and Sarah should be able to see this too take advantage of their one chance to stop that.

Whether they will or not, who knows? Ciera and them missed the boat last season much later in the game but under the same basic scenario. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them just go along with the Brains. Bored, but not surprised.

I get what you're saying on paper, but here in the real world, with real people, it makes ZERO sense for Morgan to do anything other than align with the Brains.

Maybe try to bring in Sarah too, because Sarah will (in her mind) have 2 people she can bring into the fold at merge (Trish/Tony) so Morgan could reasonably expect a 7 person alliance with a 3/3/1 split. I think it's really important for Morgan that she works with Sarah here.

Alexis would NEVER willingly join an alliance with Morgan in it. And even if she would, Morgan would be completely screwed once merge comes around. If she can align with both the Brains and Sarah, she has a chance to actually maneuver herself into a good situation. Not to mention if she does so, the next 3-4 eliminations will help her (Alexis/Jeremiah/Lindsey/Woo) post-merge. Keeping Alexis and/or Jeremiah around will only help LJ (and hurt Morgan). When she sees that Cliff is gone, it should be a red flag that she needs to weaken the Beauty tribe as much as possible.

Mercaptopropyl fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 25, 2014

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

In no way is working with the 3 ex-Beauties Sarah's best bet on this tribe. It would be suicide to try it, and whoever tried to orchestrate it would just find themselves voted out first if/when they go to tribal.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I love how all of my friends who watch the show told me to shut up when I bitched about having returnees every season. I don't know anyone who watches that isn't loving this season.

Now if only this season could convince the producers I was right too. But it won't. :sigh:

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

So far this is easily the best season I've watched in a long, long, long time...

Unmerciful posted:

I still cannot believe that Probst decided to re-introduce the Yul idol, one of most game-destroying elements in the history of the show, because TYLER PERRY thought it would be cool. You can't make this poo poo up

...and this could ruin it.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

Earlier today people were talking about how bad a player Garrett was, and now Kass has proven herself to be one of the worst players ever. Sarah was equally as bad, especially tonight, but at least her vote made sense for her.

I never thought I'd say this at the beginning of the season, but I'm totally rooting for Tony. He's a lunatic, but he's incredibly entertaining and I've loved him for a while now. Plus he's genuinely having the most fun out of anyone's on Survivor since maybe Reynold.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

Luara is definitely one of my least-favorite survivors of all-time. There's nothing redeeming about her whatsoever imo. It's not even about her actions on the show it's just something about her personality that immediately rubbed me the wrong way.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

Highlight of this episode for me was easily the furniture store commercial that started off by asking "Does you mattress just lie there?!?"

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

Robnoxious posted:

Of course, duder. Morgan is way WAY up herself and will make some man a great trophy wife for a year or so when he gets sick of her poo poo and finds someone else with an ounce of substance instead of purely superficial nonsense.

lol this is the worst post. nobody marries a girl like Morgan only to suddenly wake up one day and have an epiphany about her terribleness. that's not how it works.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

So, just to clarify, it's horribly offensive for me to accuse one guy of letting his dick do the thinking? 21 year-olds make dumb comments all the time it doesn't make them horrible people.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

Fast Luck posted:

Spencer is an econ student at U Chicago, right? Just saying.

hahaha good point. I just don't think the comment was a big deal one way or the other.

Milovan Drecun posted:

Where am I calling Spencer a horrible person? The comment just took him down from where I'd (and others) had him, a favorite, since that's part of the show. Liking people based on what they say and do, that's really all the audience can base their perceptions on, and it's totally ok to hold a comment like that against him.

That makes perfect sense. I guess I'm just not one to hold it against people for occasionally putting their foot in their mouth.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

Super Aggro Crag posted:

You guys are all pussies holy poo poo.

it's 2014 you can't say that anymore

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

As much as I would love to be on Survivor, I would never want to be a newbie on a season with half-returnees. I'd rather get stuck on the worst tribe ever.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

BGrifter posted:

It depends on what sort of returnees they cast. With players like Coach or Phillip there is an opportunity to go the Sophie route and ride behind the big target to the end. Bringing back terrible players like Russell Swan and Mike Skupin is also fine. Boston Rob not so much.

More returnees like Genrebear or Bobdawg. Save players like Yul or Marty for all star seasons.

It's not about chances of winning, it would just really cheapen the experience.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I love how LJ told everyone that Tony wanted to get rid of Woo, which Tony did say but he was lying about it. Then Woo and his buddy Tony seize an opportunity to get rid of big bad traitorous LJ.

So surely even though you're Trish and don't really believe Tony, you have to be wondering how it makes sense that Tony would go from wanting to blindside Woo, to working together with Woo to blindside LJ. How do you even make sense of that situation?

edit: Also another thing I caught was Tony/Trish talking about the set F5 being (a scared) LJ/Jefra vs. Tony/Trish/Woo. And it's obvious nobody's dumb enough to keep Kass around just to vote her out at 6. Surely Trish planned to drag her along further than that. Somewhere in that 6 there had to be a solid group of 4 with F4 plans. But who?

Mercaptopropyl fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 17, 2014

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

Shakugan posted:

What I really want to see is a season where every single castaway is a prospective "Brain tribe" member. It's not even that they all have to be smart (I mean, we've seen pretty clearly this season that not all of the brain tribe members were particularly smart in a Survivor strategy sense), they just need to think that they are smart. Because smart people on Survivor often can't help themselves in overplaying due to a supreme belief in their own intelligence, and a season where almost every player overplays would be a gigantic clusterfuck... and therefore awesome.

This really would be the best season, as evidenced by the Brains tribe this season. It's not like it's hard to find enough people that think they're the smartest person of any group you put them in.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

Rarity posted:

As for Steph, I watched Guatemala and I felt like our playstyles were very similar.

terrible?

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

Rarity posted:

Wait, Fabio wins? :lol:

I feel bad this was spoiled for you, but I also remember thinking it would have been more fun to watch knowing that early on. So many horrible people that season.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

How do you not give the idol to Jeremiah there? Spencer finally won me over this episode, including with his vote for Woo, but I was really disappointed he couldn't make the obvious (yet difficult) call with the idol there.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

Fast Luck posted:

Because they're still down 4-3. I really think even if he was told the vote would be on Jeremiah, all it would mean is he'd keep the idol in his pocket. He's in survival mode, waiting for a fracture.

I'd be totally fine with him keeping the idol there and rolling the dice on that. But like someone pointed out earlier in the thread, previous tribal councils had shown you they vote for the person who's least likely to have the idol. There were so many reasons they wouldn't vote for Spencer there and only one reason to think that they would. I almost always think it's stupid to give away the idol, even when doing so works, but in this situation if you aren't going to give it away you should risk keeping it.

I love statistics more than anyone, but with a sample size of one you can't make your decision based on math unless you're completely clueless about what to do.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

Loved this episode even though I still don't understand Tony's thought process in voting out Jefra when he has 2 idols. As a viewer, voting out Jefra was the best possible outcome this week. So many entertaining people this season, I love it!

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

Euthyphro posted:

Can we take a moment to talk about Tony's masterstroke revenge to the "Fireside Chats" Spencer has been posting on Twitter?

https://twitter.com/tony_vlachos

Gotta hand it to Tony for that one.

"Come on. It's survivor in its 28th season no one gives a poo poo"

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

mancalamania posted:

I see where you're coming from-- you definitely can't get into details about why the seasons are good without spoilers. Maybe the best way to handle it for newbies is thinking of certain vague tags that make a good season, and labeling the recommended seasons that way? Something like:

Unpredictable- Amazon, Pearl Islands, Micronesia, Phillipines, Caramoan, Cagayan
Historically relevant- Borneo, Australia, Pearl Islands, All Stars Palau, Samoa, Heroes vs. Villains
Big characters- Pearl Islands, Panama, China, Tocantins, Heroes vs. Villains, Cagayan
Emphasis on strategy- Micronesia, Samoa, Heroes vs. Villains
Emphasis on survival- Borneo, Australia, Africa
Interesting Hidden Immunity Idol strategy- Cook Islands, Fiji, Micronesia, Samoa, Heroes vs. Villains, Caramoan
A big dominant player- Borneo, Palau, Samoa, Redemption Island, One World

I dunno, even those are kind of spoilery, but may be a better hook for a season than explicitly stating the winner.

I love this way of doing it. Just something quick about why I might want to watch that season.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

xbilkis posted:

I don't know why people are particularly surprised that people weren't willing to vote out the guy who says he has two idols, one of which has unknowable special powers, with this few people left in the game. It would have been nice if there was any suspense at all that Tony was going, but Tyler Perry Knows Best.

Honestly, based on where Kass is sitting, hoping that everyone hates Tony and doesn't respect Woo's game is by far the best chance she has at getting jury votes. So like, there's a .05% chance of it working. But going with either of Spencer/Tasha would just be an automatic loss.

xbilkis posted:

This is one of the only things I've wanted to see since the merge episode, and to come so close only to have it taken away from me in favor of, like, Spencer boringly explaining why he's a genius would be cruelty.

Every single person could tear her apart, and she would respond to every single person with the same demeanor as when she began, and she would be just as confident that she still had a shot at winning. It would be beautiful.

These are the best posts. Exactly how I feel but worded better than if I'd posted them. Kass will lose 100% of the time against Spencer or Tasha and even she can't rationalize otherwise. There is actually a reason people might vote for Kass over Tony, despite how incredibly unlikely that would be to happen.

I'm hoping for a Kass/Tony final 2. But ultimately the thing I want most from the rest of this show is a chance to see Kass having to face the jury in the finals.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

Vernacular posted:

Trish is by default the weakest player left in the game, but even she's played a pretty significant role in her own right, helping draw Kass in and keep that core alliance together.

I think you mean Woo.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

Jeremiah and Morgan got along though and moved past Jeremiah not voting with her and Brice. He never hated her.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

Piell posted:

They need to do a Survivor season of everyone who got voted out first. Francesca gets to be on both tribes.

Just do the Exile Island thing where they had to pick the 2 tribes and the odd person isn't out they (*gasp*) go to exile, and then join the losing tribe after the first tribal council.

That way when nobody picks Francesca, she won't be voted out first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I missed maybe 4-5 of the middle seasons, so I figured I'd go back and watch some of them. I'm 4 episodes in to Exile Island and I have to say the Casaya tribe is already one of my favorite tribes ever. Maybe even my favorite. They're so dysfunctional it's hilarious and yet they're still winning all of the challenges. It's great how everyone in the majority alliance hates each other.

• Locked thread