Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Ghostpilot posted:

Oh Woo. :allears: You're so handsome and awesome and--

:stare: I...bwuh?

Yeah Woo is totally a cross between Ozzy and Fabio. It's going to be hilarious watching him screw up and lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I kind of skimmed over Tony when the cast list was initially posted, but he could end up being fun. Either a hilarious train wreck who overplays right out the gate, or maybe a solid strategic player who could put together a run. (Probably the former)

I'm also encouraged that even the cast lunatic knows who Danni from Guatemala is.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I'm pretty sure the Miami Marlins are the team Big Brother Canada's Alec Beall roots for "because they have no fans and it's sad, they should have fans".

Maybe Alec could be Samson's loved one cause I'm pretty sure he's the only one that loves the Marlins.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
The editing staff did a poor job of making the case for Sophie's win clear to most viewers. Listening to stuff on RHAP made a better case for her win than the show itself.

That was during their kick of making winners look like poo poo so there'd be a huge surprise at the end. (See also: Samoa) Part of what made the last few winners so satisfying was getting to see the evolution of their winning game. As much as I love Coach editing that season as COACH COACH COACH COACH COACH *BLAM!* Coach loses was a terrible idea.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Didn't get a chance to watch the premiere till today... wow. This season has the potential to be a total gameplay trainwreck, and I love it.

Tony is totally my new favourite Survivor lunatic. Spyshack indeed.

I can't help but feel bad for Spencer, the luck element of Survivor is kicking his rear end hardcore. Getting stuck on a tribe with that collection of dunces is just painful. He seems modestly competent, keeps quiet, tries not to get mixed up in the crazy, cracks funny one liners during the vote. I hope he somehow wriggles out of this.

Still can't believe Poker Macklemore with an idol went before the rice-dumping lunatic. Only on Survivor.

Even though we hardly saw him I think Woo-Tang Clan coupled with all the Ric Flair references before the season started makes me want to root for Woo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CyRiwED7s8

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

This is the season for celebrity lookalikes. Poker Macklemore is gone, but we've still got Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs fame.

Oh and Spencer kind of reminds me of Scut Farkus from A Christmas Story.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Yeah Spencer is absolutely right up my alley. Looking at his pregame interviews I was worried he'd just be an obnoxious rear end on the beach. Fortunately it seems like he's hitting all the right notes being savvy with his gameplay and saving all the villainous stuff for confessionals. He's in a lousy spot and should be one of the next couple boots, but if he can wriggle out of the corner he's in I expect big things from him. I could see him being sort of an evil Cochran.

It's rather refreshing to see someone getting that right. A good villain isn't the sort that talks poo poo and causes trouble in camp. A good villain manipulates and plays the hell out of the game with a smile to everyone's faces while sticking the knife in their back with zingers in confessionals. People forget Fairplay was rather well liked by most of the other players on Survivor Pearl Islands until they got home and watched the season.

If anyone was on the fence I highly recommend listening to Survivor Know-it-Alls and Rob's podcast with Aras. Both were very entertaining. It's good to have Stephen back and Aras seems to click well with Rob on the show.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Rarity posted:

Holy poo poo you guys I'm watching Micronesia and the girls just got Erik to give up his immunity so they could boot him off. This is the most hilarious booting I've ever seen.

Poor Erik. I wanted to believe he was a decent player who just got worn down by an onslaught the likes of which few Survivor players have suffered.

Then he came back and turned out to be a dunce. So disappointing.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

STAC Goat posted:

Did Erik do something really stupid the second time around?

It was mostly just that he sucked the second time. I gave him a ton of slack after Micronesia for the reasons you mentioned and had high hopes for a return someday. His returning season solidified him as an average-to-below-average player.

Hopefully Marty from Nicaragua and Todd from China don't disappoint similarly if we ever get them as returnees.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

IRQ posted:

On topic, how did the US never try a celebrity version of Survivor? I mean I know that Help I'm a Celebrity blah blah show existed, but that was one of those garbage basic cable networks wasn't it?

Probst has been crazy about the idea of doing one for ages. Rumours pop up occasionally but I'd imagine it'd be a nightmare to pull together. Neil Patrick Harris wants to do one but only if it's a real season and not some watered down celebrity version.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Propaganda Machine posted:

Anyway, I liked Erik. If he hadnt shriveled up and died he could have won, since Cochran and Dawn were such assholes and he had friends on the jury. Erik is what Sandra would have looked like had she not won (twice).

drat, and you guys say I'm hard on Sandra.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Another fun episode, good start to this season.

Tony is awesome. Sucks at Survivor, but drat entertaining. I hope he goes far. I love irrepairably flawed players like that. He's about as subtle as a sledgehammer.

I feel I got exactly enough of Brice from this season. A GIF of his face during the "dot dot dot :stare:" sequence is a must, and I figure one funny GIF and a few good lines is kind of his ceiling.

LJ continues to look strong and has to be an early frontrunner. Sarah kind of lost her way this week. I'll be curious to see the reaction on RHAP considering how much they were heaping praise on her last week. Woo is on pace to be an amusing wallflower and it's still fun saying his name like Ric Flair would.

It's still early but it looks like Spencer has some serious chops. He's been in an incredibly difficult spot and is putting on a clinic at handling bad situations on Survivor. He's hitting all the right notes being self deprecating, positive without coming off mindlessly so, keeping quiet when the situation calls for it. I'm very impressed. The confessional about how he has to be patient, manage his emotions, not get too down and try to get out of this tribe alive is spot on.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I wouldn't be so quick to count Spencer out. He's done some excellent little things since that tribal to set up a potential scramble should he need it. Stuff like playing along with Tasha's practice thing when she threw it in his face, laughing off the loss of Garrett immediately, cultivating as positive an image as he can with the other three. He's probably in a position where he could attempt a credible idol bluff if necessary. J'Tia is also unstable enough he could subtly provoke her into going off and help take some of the heat off himself. If they lose next immunity he's not completely out of options.

Also working in his favor is the likelyhood that we'll see some sort of tribe shuffle soon. He probably only has to survive one more episode before getting a relatively fresh shot at the game. It's still a bad position to be in, but what he really needed was an immunity win in either this episode or the next and he got it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Propaganda Machine posted:

I can only give shits about Brawn at this point. I'll put it up to opinion:

Do we like Woo, who has gotten a couple of reasonable confessionals and character building moments, or Vin Diesel, who's getting sold over the top? I can't tell if Woo will be a boring mid-season boot or a powerful dark horse. Likewise, I can't tell if Vin Diesel will go all Shamar, or turn into Ressel 2.0.

Woo has received so little screen time I don't expect him to have much of an impact on the game down the stretch. I can't help but like #WooTangClan but I don't think he's a serious contender to win.

Tony is pretty much a lock to self destruct at some point but drat it'll be fun watching him get there. The thing I find fascinating about him is he's doing some really good stuff around the idol and isn't a complete bonehead. He's overplaying the hell out of Sarah though and will drat sure get caught if he keeps it up.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
On RHAP Rob C mentioned they wouldn't let someone legit starve till it was dangerous or something. They'd offer some sort of trade for more rice like giving up a reward or dismantling their shelter.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Jesus had a pretty rough time on Survivor. Three days later he Redemption Islanded his way back in and won though. Pretty bullshit season if you ask me.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I'm a little leery about how frequent it is myself but I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt for now and blame the types of African-American women they've cast in recent years. Less Cirie/Taj and more Na'onka.

The obvious hole in that is Francesca and Cirie's early boot. But I believe both of those are out of respect for their gameplay ability and not racially motivated. Boston Rob had repeatedly stated Francesca was the player he was most afraid of, and everybody knows Cirie is an incredibly dangerous Survivor player.

Still I will admit on the surface it doesn't look good.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
As the resident Survivor Fiji booster the cast for that season is badly underrated. It's a cast with arguably the most beloved Survivor of all time AND the most hated villain in Dreamz. Earl was an excellent winner who seems to get criticism for being too dominant. There were a bunch of fun early game knuckleheads to keep things entertaining. The fall of the Four Horsemen was amazing, Rocky an colossal tool and Survivor Fiji gave us the music of Lisi Linares.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j-S7h9YeKIc

I rank that video up there with Fabio's strange homoerotic movie and Coach's 180.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

The Lord Bude posted:

where could I get hold of this strange homoerotic Fabio movie? I want to know for...reasons...

Here's the trailer for you. No idea if it ever recieved a DVD/BluRay release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGW_RaHM9I0

It's... a thing that exists.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Bjay9 posted:

All-Stars, Philippines and the current season.

A fact Garrett had off the top of his head during his RHAP exit interview and seemed to remember how things played out on both seasons.

I put off listening to Garrett's exit interview for a week but when I finally got around to it I was rather shocked. He's a pretty sharp guy, clearly a huge fan of the show, and had a really solid read on how everything played out. The edit was rather unkind and there was a bit more going on than we really saw.

David was a lock to go home on day one so they correctly guessed it would come down to Garrett/Spencer and J'Tia/Tasha with Kass in the middle. Garrett was reluctant to stick with the four person alliance of Garrett/Spencer/J'Tia/Tasha that took out David as he knew J'Tia/Tasha were rock solid, while Spencer would only stick with him as long as it was in his best interests. Voting out Kass second meant he had to win challenges until a tribe shuffle occured and he had zero faith in their ability to do so. By making the move to bring in Kass as a third he was aiming to set things up so he and Spencer would hang on till a tribe shuffle. He made a strong push selling Kat as his one true alliance, Tasha outplayed him, he went home.

I'd highly recommend taking the time to give it a listen if anyone hasn't. You can skip the first half as the exit interview with David was ok but not particularly insightful. Garrett's is probably the best exit interview I've ever heard on RHAP. He did an excellent job of explaining his strategy without coming off as making excuses or whining. He worked Kat a lot harder than they showed on the episode, it didn't pan out, Tasha made a strong play and he got beat.

A link for anyone interested: http://robhasawebsite.com/survivor-cagayan-exit-interview-david-samson-garrett-adelstein/
Garrett starts at around the 18 minute mark and it's about a 15 minute interview.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 8, 2014

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Fast Luck posted:

See how you said this in one quick paragraph? Garrett... let's just say his social game is lacking, and I can see why he failed despite having sound strategy.

Oh no question he was a flawed player. I was just surprised he was a lot more strategically coherent than I would have guessed from watching the episode. It's also always neat to hear how things actually played out vs the version on TV and I didn't feel like Garrett was bullshitting to make himself look better.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
As a viewer I'm thrilled to see J'Tia go. Spencer did a nice job of advocating for himself as much as he possibly could without overplaying his hand. It would have been very easy to go into that tribal and try to bulldoze Kass and Tasha, which would have ended badly. He laid out the obvious case, reminded them of the rice incident, her challenge performances, and didn't get in the way of them making the decision he wanted. It was an impressive display of restraint from a guy pre-season I was concerned would overplay the hell out of the game. For a young guy Spencer is showing remarkable maturity in his game.

For Kass and Tasha though, it was flat out the wrong play in that spot. There's no chance they're going into a merge with numbers at this point and a tribe shuffle is extremely likely. They can take out an extremely dangerous player all but guarenteed to flip on them the moment they merge. J'Tia isn't any sort of a meaningful threat, and worst case if there is no merge/shuffle they vote her off next. The only way it's the right choice to keep Spencer is if they go two more eliminations without any sort of shuffle or swap, and they don't bullshit their way into an accidental victory. Even in that unlikely scenario it only pays off if Spencer is the difference between immunity and tribal council in the next challenge.

Another pretty fun episode. If this tribe does end up being the death of Spencer I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him back. He's on pace to be another one of those players I'll always wonder what their game would be like if they got a better start.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I'm not surprised there are people sleeping on Spencer's game but if he catches a couple breaks he could turn into one hell of a player. A lot of the excellent gameplay we've seen has been subtle but totally on point.

Since landing in the bad spot Garrett put him in it's taken a soft touch to negotiate the waters. He's dealing with a lunatic in J'Tia, an incredibly unstable unreliable Kass if the exit interviews are to be believed, and Tasha who isn't exactly the easiest target to swing. A young guy giving the pre-season interviews he had you'd expect him to play it very aggressive, almost Russell Hantz style. Instead we've seen a shocking amount of self and game awareness as he gently nudged people toward the decisions he wanted.

For a huge fan of the show to demonstrate the restraint he has is very impressive. It seems like he's one of the rare fans that paid as much attention when Cirie or Yul were on screen as with Boston Rob or Russell Hantz. I'm eager to see what he can do given a larger group of players to work.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

IRQ posted:

I'm amazed she manages to dress herself in the morning.

I imagine the process takes several hours as she fumbles and drops shirts, trips on laundry, then contemplates whether to eat or wear her shoes. She has to be up at 5am to be dressed for a 9am shift.

She also tends to dump out all the Raisin Bran, so that mess has to be cleaned up after work.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I just started watching Survivor China because of this thread. It's so good. So good. I'm excited to see where it all goes. I've only seen a few of the latest seasons but already I can tell this will be fun.

I hope James does well.

Probably the best setting of all time. It's a really fun season, you're in for a treat.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Another awesome episode. Great start to this season.

LJ showing balls of steel holding his idol there. Gotta give the guy huge credit for reading Tony right, or getting lucky, probably the latter. I'm eagerly anticipating a potential LJ vs Spencer clash post-merge.

Thrilled to see the Brains tribe in a good spot like they're in. Spencer finally has the pieces in play to do some serious damage. This is the spot where we'll really get a chance to see what he's made of. He has his pick of potential alliance-mates and that decision will have an enormous impact on whether he can make it to the end. An all-Brains final three like they teased would be a fantastic ending to this season.

Really surprised by the immunity challenge result. The non-Brains tribe looked pretty stacked, but Spencer is really stepping up in challenges.

Another fun episode. Too bad the preview made next week look like a potential dud.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

LeJackal posted:

Maybe you can explain how his ability to drink a beer relates to anything else, because I've never understood the significance of it no matter the context or frequency of its use.
"Man, he sure can drink beer - he should do my heart surgery tomorrow!"
"Man, he sure can drink beer - that obviously qualifies him to be the best president!"
"Man, he sure can drink beer - he deserves to win Survivor!"

I don't get it. There isn't even beer available to Woo.

He's saying he wants Woo to be President.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
My guess is whatever intern they gave the task did a lousy job of randomizing the buffs. The Brains tribe seemed careful to pick buffs that weren't directly next to each other increasing their chances of ending up together.

Not any sort of production conspiracy but the sort of thing a sharp player might pick up on in the moment. I'm reluctant to cry conspiracy when simple incompetence is more likely the answer. (The Evel Dick/Big Brother mirror incident seems like similarly poor planning by production)

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

CapnAndy posted:

It got buried in the awesome second half of the episode, but not enforcing gender parity on that reward challenge was some dumb bullshit. It just wasn't fair that the orange tribe had to put a girl on the pole all three rounds, nor was it at all surprising when they couldn't handle dudes with at least 50 pounds on them trying to muscle them around.

There were likely a lot more rounds than what they showed. The show has a long history of challenges that go on a bunch of rounds but they edit it down to the same result with less rounds.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

blue squares posted:

Spencer sure is getting a lot of credit in this thread for figuring out such a no-brainer situation :rimshot:

He's so smart that it took him halfway through the challenge to realize what the other team figured out before it even began

It's less the positioning I was giving him credit for and more just surprising physical strength and ability in the challenges so far. He's a lot more capable than I would have ever imagined before the season started, and it's been masked by equally poor performances from J'Tia and others. I was expecting him to be a Cochran 1.0 in challenges.

I do think the Brains tribe have been getting a bit of an unfair ride though. They were saddled with one of the worst challenge competitors in Survivor history. Take J'Tia out of the picture and I think you end up with a pretty average tribe. Nothing spectacular, but a middle of the road unoffensive win some/lose some sort of group.

This whole "smart people are automatically good at puzzles" meme needs to die too. Even Probst likes to shout it out in challenges when it's been proven false many seasons ago. If intelligence had much of a bearing on puzzle performance David from Redemption Island would have smoked them and Boston Rob would be terrible at them.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Fast Luck posted:

Well maybe they should have found a way to vote her out then.

Of course. I've just been hearing a lot of "worst challenge tribe ever" and the like, I think that's excessive. They're a pretty average tribe with one outlier.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

DaisyDanger posted:

I haven't watched any Survivor since season 2, but I decided to watch this season on my cable's on demand yesterday. So glad I did, because J'tia. :allears:

I want to go back and watch the goon recommended seasons. I signed up for Hulu for it, but it only has season 1 and then 12+. What's that about?

Yeah Rob Cesternino was plugging Hulu+ as a new sponsor and mentioned they only had season one then 12+. A little weird but you've still got a ton of great ones to choose from.

China (season 15) and Tocantins (season 17) are fan favourites and either would be a great place to start. Micronesia (season 16) and Heroes vs Villains (season 20) are two of the best seasons ever but they're both all-stars seasons and benefit a lot from knowing the players first. If you wanted to jump ahead to the more modern seasons watching 25-27 wouldn't be a bad idea as the last several seasons have all been excellent. The big thing you want to avoid is the gap of seasons 21-24 as those are many of the worst seasons the show has ever had.

If I were cobbling together a list for a friend I'd probably suggest something like China (15), Tocantins (17), Cook Islands (13), Micronesia (16), Samoa (19), Heroes vs Villains (20), 25-27 in order then go back and pick off the remaining pre-season 21 stuff in whatever order you like.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Gabon was an ok season, I'd put it right around middle of the pack. I usually leave it out when recommending seasons to newbies as I tend to try and start them with seasons that will build toward either All-Stars, Fans vs Favourites or Heroes vs Villains and you're not really missing much not watching Gabon before HvV.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Fast Luck posted:

So, yeah, the Brains are in big trouble unless that LJ/Tony alliance fractures.

If I'm Spencer and company I like those odds. Tony is all the chaos and abrasiveness of Russell Hantz with almost none of the strategy. I wouldn't be surprised if Tony is already planning to flip on LJ and team with the Brains the moment they merge. He seems like the kinda meathead who would think "I can smoke the nerds in challenges and LJ is a threat, what's a jury?".

Similarly LJ seems rational enough to see Tony as a loose cannon and want to cut ties at the first opportunity. Even post-merge I like the Brains spot.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Wren610 posted:

For the time being the three are solid but there's no way they go final three together.

You're too zeroed in on this girls alliance thing. Right now it's in all their best interest to stay solid and a reasonable case can be presented that holds true for all three right to the end.

Spencer is a valuable commodity in a game like this, a player who can be trusted to act with rational self interest. He'll be rock solid loyal as long as it's in his best interest and a final three with Kass and Tasha is likely to be his best case scenario the rest of the way. Plus as we see challenge threats disappear he's got an above average shot at immunity wins.

Tasha is similarly likely an immunity threat down the stretch and seems to have a good head on her shoulders. It seems entirely reasonable that she could expect Spencer to Hantz himself out of the final tribal leaving her with a strong case vs Kass. Not much incentive to rock the boat there either.

Kass is the wildcard of the bunch but seems content to make it to the end making as few waves as possible. Not a terrible strategy given how we've seen HvV/South Pacific/other recent seasons play out. Players like Cochran and Tyson winning is a pretty recent phenomenon and one she may not have had time to adapt to.

Idols are the big danger to the Brains right now. Tony and LJ have the two active ones and post merge we're getting the overpowered Yul-idol back in the game.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
The thread reaction to Spencer was hilarious tonight. Tony made a surprisingly clever play, in the heat of the moment Spencer misread it. That's less on him and more a credit to Tony. At the end of the day he made the right read and sent Alexis home. He's playing a solid underdog game so far, not Boston Rob level dominance.

LJs edit is sure looking awfully Earl-ish. Idol in pocket and a decent alliance, he's got to be the favourite to win. I'm hoping that doesn't last, but the editors seem to be focused on building a stronger case for the winner at the expense of drama in recent seasons. I guess all the negative feedback about Samoa/South Pacific/etc got to them.

Even if Sarah does stay with the Brains next week they still have to work around two idols. I'd love to see a final four of the three Brains and Sarah, but it'll take some pretty spectacular luck to catch both Tony and especially LJ off guard. Unfortunately waaaaaaaaaaay too much of this season is going to swing on who finds that post-vote Yul idol.

Both Lindsay and Trish are pretty awful, glad to see the former gone and will be glad when the latter goes too.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Tony is a fascinating character and incredibly entertaining to watch. His flashes of brilliance are amazing, it's tragic they're wasted on such an abrasive lunatic with no prayer of winning. Really he's everything I want from the filler players with no shot at winning. Casting more Tonys and less Purple Kellys in recent seasons has been a big part of the turnaround the show is having.

At this point I'm leaning toward the idea that we're in the middle of a real golden era of Survivor.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Bjay9 posted:

I'd put :10bux: on him being the first jury member.

It'd be hilarious if it happened but don't forget he has an idol. It's huge, and he needed it so much. *heavy breathing*

That clip alone should have secured Tony a spot on All Stars.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I actually think Tony would get the Phillip/Coach treatment as a returnee not the Russell one. The odd moment of brilliance aside he's shown himself to be a self destructive lunatic and not a threat to win at all. Veteran players would be smart enough to take advantage of that for a while.

Plus even if he did end up a quick boot the confessionals we'd get out of it would easily justify his presence. Not every returnee can be Boston Rob, some get brought back just because they're fun to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Tony isn't a reality show villain at all, he's a freak sideshow like Phillip or Coach. Fairplay, Russell, Parvati were all villains. Frankly Tony isn't good enough at Survivor to be a real villain.

Tony is just an amusing train wreck. Always need a couple of those on any good All Stars season.

• Locked thread