Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

It's pretty good actually, the gimmick, as usual, doesn't manage to last, but does make for a handful of interesting dynamics. Also that racist shitbird Colton gets off your TV pretty quick. In the end it's a pretty predictably season that got controlled on a near Boston Rob level by the winner*, but it's very worth watching.

* Although this is also a very good argument for not doing the returning player with newbies thing, again.

It actually makes pre-merge inter-tribe dynamics matter which is something that very rarely happens. I thought it was a really interesting twist that I hope they do again, just not with returning players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

Ned makes it to the merge, then goes right up to Cersei and tells her he'll be blindsiding her tonight with the help of Littlefinger. Then he goes to Littlefinger and says that he won't be taking Littlefinger to the final three with him, but vote his way anyway.

Ned is deeply surprised to be voted out that night.

So basically Garrett is Ned.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

I mean, for fucksakes. Vote out the weak people so that you win challenges, it's that simple right now, stop overcomplicating this poo poo so early.

This is basically the problem. You seem to have two types of people lately who play this game. People thinking about the end game from day 1 and trying to get out any and all competition, ruining their team's chances of ever getting there. Or people who just don't know how the game functions at all and if they make it post-merge they're strategic dead weight.

I know it must be hard not to get super excited and think about the end game, but really people need to remember that not all phases of this game are equal.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

KARMA! posted:

"Mildly risky" :thumbsup:

Hey, 1 out of 6 people on the "lose every challenge" tribe won the game, while 0 out of 12 of the people on winning tribes won the game.

You can't argue with math!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
White people do not have a monopoly on being crazy.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I just watched the episode.

Oh my god it's a Christmas miracle.

I love the shrug and disappointed silence.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

mancalamania posted:

It's also not clear if trying to win another challenge is even beneficial-- history has shown that tribes that have never or almost never gone to Tribal Council pre-merge completely fall apart at the merge (see the last 3 seasons for great examples). It's been said in interviews that you get really paranoid about your tribe and your alliance without going to Tribal to solidify that alliance. If they keep Spencer, win a challenge, and then Brawn goes to Tribal and solidifies it's loyalties you could have a big alliance in play at merge that will be harder to break up.

This is something that I don't think is stressed enough and is often overlooked. Until alliances are tested you have no idea if the people you're talking to are just blowing smoke up your rear end. Everyone talks to everyone. People get water together, they gather firewood together, they go swimming together, etc all day long. We know which of those conversations are strategy ones because they're the ones they broadcast, but if you're out there you have no idea whether they are plotting against you.

Until you have the first opportunity for people to actually show that they were telling the truth, you have absolutely nothing to go on but words that they actually are in an alliance. A tribe that never goes to tribal has no reason to trust each other.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Her swimming on her back reaching with the tip of her fingers for the ball (which always made it get knocked further away) was the best part of that challenge.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Professor Shark posted:

This thread is getting too serious, let's all just smile and enjoy the show!

I have no idea how someone shows so much gums when they smile.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Oh my god, shut up Kass.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Recursive posted:

Woo with the five fingers?

Woo definitely has a solid chance at this.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'm glad, I really like Woo.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
"If she's going to destroy the game, I want to destroy it!!!"

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Chaos Kass

Oh my god, can we get rid of both Kass and Sarah?

They're both so stupid to think this is a position you want to be in.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Tony is the best.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Asiina posted:

Tony is the best.

!!!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Hahaha, the best!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Please be Sarah so it's extra useless!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Amazing.

That was the best.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I can't wait for Sarah's "buh????" ending confessional.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

sleepingbuddha posted:

I don't know why Kass flipped?

Because people were being nice to Sarah instead of agreeing with her :qq:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Isn't that a rumor basically every season?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

Yeah, anyone even slightly considering it should give it a go. Pulling off a successful backstab is one of the best feelings.

:qq:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
You robbed me of my AHM av. Unforgivable.

As for actual Survivor, Kass (like Rarity) let her paranoia get to her and it probably cost her the game.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry no a perfect game is defined as

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Caramoan had a fantastic mix of people. It was a great season.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

The Lord Bude posted:

I really think you can't fully appreciate Caramoan without at least watching South Pacific. I know South Pacific got a bit boring towards the end but it isn't as bad a season as people make it out to be.

I think there is some value in it to be able to compare how far Cochran was able to come and to fully understand how crazy Brandon is originally (and what his family does to him during the family visit), but no it was really awful pretty much all the way through.

The individuals were crazy and or awful people. Brandon was a creepy stalker, Coach was insane and worked people into a religious frenzy that was honestly uncomfortable to watch. They won a challenge and he starts screaming at them to stop celebrating and get on their knees to thank God for their win.

But the gameplay itself wasn't that great either. People got away with terrible strategic decisions they shouldn't have (ie Ozzy getting himself voted out). The majority alliance made absolutely no effort to keep their tribe together and then act hurt and disgusted when someone flips.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
He wasn't ever really stable in South Pacific. He wasn't violent, but he wasn't stable. I remember people used to say during South Pacific that Brandon would stab you to death and then cry about it, and honestly that was only half joking.

From right away he became obsessed with a Mikayla who hadn't really said one word to him, painting her as some sort of temptress and whore of Babylon trying to lure him away from his good Christian life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueEVgVFRsdA

Then later in the game he was going through daily struggles about lying and being a good person, being desperately wanting to be seen as a good person. Then his father comes for the visit and basically tells him in no uncertain terms "don't be a pussy" and it's clear he struggles from this at home.

He's a deeply disturbed person in a messed up family.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

Really unsatisfied. Colton deserved a huge blindside.

My favourites are Penner and Skupin, but I also like the Malcolm/Denise duo.

:hfive:

We are the same!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

nexous posted:

Watched Russell first two seasons. How the hell are people butthurt so bad they can't recognize they got absolutely and completely dominated. Outwit, outlast, outplay. More like sunbathe and make friends.

This conversation comes up all the time and it's pretty played out, but the basic gist is that jury management has always been and always will be a part of the game and you'd be a fool to ignore it.

Alternatively

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

Russell's problem is that he's a jerk. If he'd made the same strategic moves while being generally a decent guy he woulda won.

This.

He made a bunch of great moves, but he was also a complete rear end while doing it. He went out of his way in a lot of cases to be an rear end when it wasn't necessary.

He didn't consider that he was going to need these people, which is a huge mistake in his game both times he played.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I think even if you hate Russell and his gameplay, you can't deny that he loves the game. He just wants to play the game of Survivor. I think Tony is what Russell looks like without all the malice and mean spiritedness.

Also they should really not let people play in back to back seasons. By the end of one game you are sick and malnourished and mentally broken. I can't imagine starting again immediately afterwards.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I really enjoyed BvW a lot because the twist actually put some cross-tribe strategy into pre-merge, which has rarely happened before and never as extensively.

I hope they do the twist again with all new players at some point down the road.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I would imagine LJ, Jefra, and now Trish are pretty mad at Tony, and that might be enough to swing it to Woo.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

blue squares posted:

Here's what I hope happens (but I know won't). Tony and Spencer realize that Woo and Kass would want to get rid of BOTH of them, so they team up and the two strongest players go to the final together.

I'd also like to see this, but it'll never happen.

At least one of Kass and Woo is going to FTC and will almost definitely get second place.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Pinterest Mom posted:

Hey so

(~~wondrous~~ casting rumour for next season)

It seems like a lock that we're getting an all-newbie BvW season. And rumour has Queen Rachel Reilly making her Survivor debut, though it's not clear if she'd be with Brendon or Elissa.

My progression reading this post.

:dance:

:what:

:gonk:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

paperchaseguy posted:

No. No. NO.

on one hand that would be HORRIBLE. On the other hand, it would be fun watching her suffer.

eta:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZFyogPEYOE

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country."

Oh thank God.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I guess that was an alright article but

quote:

“Survivor” seems to be one of the few shows where viewers can call themselves “reality television purists” without much irony. It has evolved into a more complex and challenging game, but its principles have remained the same: Outwit, Outplay, Outlast. Where other reality shows might need sudden twists and curveballs, “Survivor” only really needs its own basic structure, and because the people who play will always be different, the game will always be different. No tricks, no gimmicks – just pure gameplay, which means that absolutely anything can happen.

Saying Survivor doesn't have crazy twists? :laffo:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

Colton was hilarious in his first season, if you can find amusement in a privileged person embarrassing themselves completely in front of a national TV audience

Normally, yes, but honestly he was just too awful to even love to hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Extraordinarily sad.

• Locked thread