Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

BGrifter posted:

Poor Spencer. Dude is trying so drat hard but he's chained to this group of lunatics. Hopefully this is enough of a run to get him an All-Stars appearance, I'd love to see what he could do with better people to work with. I'll be shocked if he isn't out next.

Spencer did nothing of note this whole season, except winning a vote against a crazy person. He is great in counting votes ("we have 6 they have 5, we win") but I did not see any great gameplay from him beyond having the numbers and not pulling a stupid move. He had Kass flip on him not once but twice, which is not really the sign of a great player, he voted out David at the first tribal because he was a "threat down the road" which, as always, led to more tribals for his tribe.

But his edit is incredibly good so he might come back because clearly the producers like him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
They should make a season only with people that were voted of as first or second (maybe third to get enough people together). Call it Survivor: Leper Colony.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
I think Spencer did the right thing because of 2 reasons:

1.) He probably thought Tony has the special power immunity idol, without knowing the restriction, which would have made Spencer the only person in the minority alliance to be eligable to be voted for in a potential revote. He would essentially have kicked himself out by using his idol for Jeremiah.

2.) They targeted Woo, the best challenge player, of the majority alliance and not Trish, who is in my view the social core. It's questionable that in an alliance with a weakened Tony Jefra would have been unconfortable enough to go flip.

My Jury Ranking is as follows:

1. Tasha - Won multiple immunity challenges, did not vote anyone of, good social player
2. Spencer - Same as Tasha but probably with a bit weaker social game with the jury
3. Tony - should win over any remaining majority alliance member because he is seen as leader
4. Trish - good social game
5. Woo - good in challenges
6. Jefra - might get higher in case of bitter jury, see Samoa
7. Kass - No way she wins

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
I dont think you can compare Russel and Tony at all, outside of saying both made big moves. Russel was a master of breaking a bigger alliance down while working with a small core group that he did not betray. Tony on the other hand is keeping his own alliance weak to protect against it breaking apart. If you look at Samoa, which was the only season you saw pure Russel play, he stayed true to his 4person alliance until the end.

The best strategy for the majority alliance would be to vote out either Spencer or even better Tasha at the next tribal followed by the other 2 brains to make it a final3 of Woo, Trish and Tony, who could all make a claim to fame (Challenges, Social, playing the game respectivly) but the way it probably will play out is that Spencer makes it into the f3 and wins. His play at this point is very much like Sandra's proven formula to winning Survivor.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Let's say Spencer wins the next immunity challenge, this would lead to Woo getting voted out because he lied to Tony in this episode and Tony wants Kass as his goat for the final. Spencer wins immunity again, Trish goes home because Kass wants Tony as goat and Tony does not want to go home. This gives us a final3 of Tony, Kass, Spencer which Spencer takes in a landslide vote. This scenario is further supported by the edits giving all 3 finalists lots of airtime.

Expect Tony and Kass both to come back in the next few seasons because they provided a lot of good moments.

I dont think Tony has any chance to win it all because the jury is made up of mostly vain (beauty tribe) members that are very pissed at him for voting them out.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Is Boston Rob still the only returning player whose only win was on a season with no other returning players (Russell got removed by his own tribe so early, that he never really came into play)?

Yes.

But the seasons concept was doomed from the start. There was no way that Russel had a chance in that enviroment with how he was portrayed and the RI twist made it even worse.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Asiina posted:

I really enjoyed BvW a lot because the twist actually put some cross-tribe strategy into pre-merge, which has rarely happened before and never as extensively.

I hope they do the twist again with all new players at some point down the road.

Cross-Tribe strategy is done a lot after tribal switchups and the most extreme (in terms of actual impact on the game) cross-tribe "strategy" was probably HvV where JT and they boys gave Russel a HII to help him survive against Parvati and the girls.

BvV was probably the only twist where I didn't mind returnees playing with newbs, because of the built in support system of the blood bonds. The fact that it was the season that was decided by a pre-game alliance on the other hand, makes you wish they will not do returnees again.

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 14:04 on May 14, 2014

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
It's pretty easy now. Spencer wins the immunity challenge he wins the game, if he does not win, Tony or Woo (60/40 at this point, bitter jury might or might not happen) win the game. I think Tony's gambit with the special power immunity idol could work and was very smart. If he had played his "normal" idol on Trish, they would have known the other one is no good after f5, because why give up the safety to reach f3 just to drag Trish along.

I think for Tony's situation in the final4 Trish and Woo are the same. Both have a strong social game but need a sufficiently bitter jury to win at the end and you should be able to convince both of them that Spencer in the final3 is just a default win.

Based on the preview I think Spencer does not win the immunity, will go home and Tony will win the game, because we all know, the preview shows the exact opposite of what will really happen.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

Hey so

(~~wondrous~~ casting rumour for next season)

It seems like a lock that we're getting an all-newbie BvW season. And rumour has Queen Rachel Reilly making her Survivor debut, though it's not clear if she'd be with Brendon or Elissa.

First boot right there.

But a final 2 for this season is rather interesting and will be a casestudy why final2 suck. The person that wins the last immunity challenge will win the game in 99% of cases (1% being Kass wins the challenge, takes Tony, which would be the best outcome ever). In my opinion this gives the last challenge far to much of an impact on the overall game

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Bigass Moth posted:

Assuming we do end up with a final 2, can anyone make an argument for Woo to win except for being not-Kass? What has he done in the game aside from try (and fail) to steal Spencer's idol? He hasn't been particularly challenge-dominant or socially adept, at least from what we've been shown.

He played an honest game and was faithful to his alliance until the end. Thats pretty much the argument you make to win a bitter jury over.

Pinterest Mom posted:

This isn't even true! There have been 14 seasons with a final 2.

S1: Kelly wins final challenge, loses game
S2: Colby wins final challenge, loses game
S3: Kim wins final challenge, loses game
S4: Neleh wins final challenge, loses game
S5: Brian wins final challenge, wins game
S6: Jenna wins final challenge, wins game
S7: Lil wins final challenge, loses game
S8: Rob wins final challenge, loses game, ~finds love~
S9: Chris wins final challenge, wins game
S10: Tom wins final challenge, wins game
S11: Danni wins final challenge, wins game
S12: Danielle wins final challenge, loses game
S16: Amanda wins final challenge, loses game
S19: J.T. wins final challenge, wins game

The winner of the final immunity has won 6 times, lost 8 times.

The game has changed a lot since season18 (tocatins) and if you look at your list, you see that 4 of the 8 loses were in the first 4 seasons, where people still had to get a feeling for the game. I'd say that you can disregard season 8 because ~love~ trumps money and season12, where Aras had a deal with Danielle. Of course there will be situations where the winner of the challenge has 0 chance to win at the end because he/she would get the fewest votes regardless of who he/she sits next to. On the other Boston Rob could have lost Redemption Island to either Agent Phillip or Natalie, if the last challenge was something stupid.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

If he wanted Woo gone, Woo would have been gone. Tony had the power to control who of Trish, Woo, and Kass left. He decided it'd be Trish.

That would have required him to use his HII on her, which in turn weakens his f4 idol bluff considerable. I can not imagine a scenario in which we get a Tony/Spencer final2 outside of Spencer saying "eh, lets take tony, I will win in a landslide anyway and he makes for good TV".

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

mancalamania posted:

A recap of Kass's "every terrible move":

-Voting out Garrett succeeded in its goal of surviving the Brains tribe with the additional benefit of going into the next portion of the game with 2 close allies (something Garrett may not have been).
-Flipping at the merge succeeded in its goal of regaining some control of her fate in the game which she felt she had lost, eliminating some big threats to win the game (like Tasha), and the ensuing chaos resulted in a bunch of idols being flushed and wasted.
-Correctly read Spencer's idol play and changed the vote of her alliance to Jeremiah.
-Sufficiently ruffled Tony's feathers in the past two episodes to get one of his close allies to turn on him, and making him lose his cool in front of the jury.

You can say "she got lucky those bad moves worked out!!" but luck is still a pretty big part of the game. Tony also got drat lucky he picked the right rock at the auction and that Tasha was waiting for one last item that never appeared. People were saying the flip at the merge meant she was crazy because she would be the first person out of her alliance-- yet three people from her alliance are gone now, and she's still here. It was a calculated risk, riding on the (correct) belief that her leaving at #6 in this new alliance was not a foregone conclusion due to the large number of aggressive players left in the game.

The only bad consequences of her actions are the obvious jury problems-- but if she does miraculously pull out a win, then I guess her jury management isn't as poor as people think? In my mind that's a great ending to the season, I don't know how people could think the opposite.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc...

We don't know what would have happened if Garrett were still in the game, or if the alliance with 3 brains had won the first vote post merge etc. Yes she made it to the final4 which is an achievement in its own but Phillip made it to the final tribal council and still played horrible.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
The brain tribe this season was a group of people that did not understand that you put one foot in front of another. They played an individual game from the first second, when David send Garrette away because "he would have been a threat at the end", which is why they imploded.

I have to say I really hate Spencer's edit. He is a challenge monster and thats it. He did not make one successfull move on his own and did not influence Tony when he voted out Jefra, but we have to endure confessional after confessional of Spencer being happy about his situation. This dude knows how to give the producers the stuff they need to engineer great TV, but all this "they have conflict, this is great for me" is utter bullshit. As soon as he does not win Immunity he is out.

As for the goat strategy: I believe it only works if you have a strong leader, that is in near total control (Tony, Boston Rob as the two most recent examples) otherwise your goatyness will lead to you being voted out sooner rather than later.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Bjay9 posted:

Spencer has always been on the bottom and has bullshit his way through 4 tribals where he probably should have gone home. The Jefra vote was definitely swayed by Spencer getting in Tony's head though and the reason Spencer is remarkable is that he's stayed very calm and collected despite always facing an uphill battle. The one time he lost his cool was when he thought he was on top in a strong alliance and #KhaosKass hap5pened.

All votes follow Tony's strategy and are not majorly influenced by Spencer. Tony's rules are a) My alliance can never have more than 2 votes majority to avoid my alliance fracturing b) The tribe can not have more woman than man, otherwise we will end up in a Micronesia/One World scenario. Those two rules all votes Tony controlled up to final5.

Sarah - Needed to gain majority, easiest target because of Idols, Kass hates her.
Morgan - comfort vote, was hated by everyone in his alliance. Spencer would have been a better vote but the danger was that free-agent Kaoskass would not have approved of that vote.
LJ - Rule A
Jeremiah - Spencer had the HII, Tasha won the immunity challenge
Jefra - Rule A and B, but mostly B as Tony would have preferred to vote out Tasha at this point

After this the rules no longer applied as Tasha was a big threat and he could not lose his goat. Spencers best play was probably to get Tasha to vote J'Tia out and not him but after that? He is a challenge monster that seems to atleast understand the game but he did not influence it to a significant degree outside of them.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Aerox posted:

I totally get, understand, and believe that Kass has a horrible social game, but I am really, really confused by how this thread is calling that flip the worst move in Survivor history.

Kass' glaring personality and social flaws aside, there is no reason to believe she gave up some sort of golden ticket to a mythical Brains Final 3. There is NO WAY the players in the game, as dumb as they are, wouldn't have immediately identified the Brains Trio as a massive minority alliance threat and turned on them as soon as they were able, assuming Spencer and/or Tash didn't flip either, which is also a huge stretch. See: Rotu 4, Four Horsemen, Onion Alliance, etc.

The flip REALLY wasn't that awful of a move. It was probably earlier than it needed to be, and the way she's acted since she flipped is mindboggling, but it was a pre-emptive move to solidify SOME position in a dominant numbers alliance where the target on your back actually becomes smaller, because you're no longer part of a scary power-trio.

In any case, this season has been absolutely magical. :allears:

Kass worst move was to keep J'Tia, the person that threw their rice in the fire. Everything else is fine in comparission.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
I was no fan of Spencer before the FTC but his speech was great and showed that he is a true superfan, so I'm ok with his inevitable return (probably in season 30). It would be great if every jury member would have to give a 30-60second statement why they choose to vote for the guy they voted for and CBS could put that up on the website.

BvW with all newbies will be interesting, but as with all seasons there is no way to predict if its a good season or a bad one at this point. On good news is that Jeff confirmed on ew.com that they solved the water challenge problem and we will have them the next 2 seasons.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
As long as its a 2person RI and not 3person I'm happy with it. The added interaction of RI is one of the reasons BvW works.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

EW: Would you have kept your word and brought Tony to the final 2 with you had he saved you?
SPENCER: No! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I felt like I had a good shot to beat Tony, but if I didn’t have to, no reason I was going to go up against him. My read on the jury was that I thought they would understand me saying what I had to say in that moment and deifnitely would have asked for their vote in the end against Kass or whomever.

So Spencer would not have taken Tony but Kass. Lets just imagine that the jury would have gone "dude you said you dont want our votes in this case, lets give Kass the million"

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
On further reflection, do you think Kass has any chance as a returnee to avoid being the first boot or in case her tribe is ulonging the other maybe even her tribe throwing a challenge? KaosKass is someone you never want in the game regardless what type of player you are.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Propaganda Machine posted:

Except the split with loved ones on the same tribe was the original plan until RC and her dad had to drop out and get replaced with the most boring couple ever. I think it could lead to interesting voting strategies in the run-up to the merge.

It was good fortune for them that the original plan was not used, because I dont imagine a lot of tension being created by the fact that one tribe is "blood" and the other is "water". Rupert and his wife are probably atleast as close as any of the blood relations, if you want to classify them that way. To me the idea of blood being all relations that exist before survivor is much more intuitive and I dont think they will change that. Otherwise they would not need RI.

Met posted:

Yeah, but we already saw that.

Now imagine an early game where someone at Tribal Council is scorned by watching their loved one near unanimously voted out in a blindside. Will they scramble? Align with other loners? Try to wiggle their way into a pairs alliance?

I want to watch pairs trying to survive together in the early game. It's a different way of playing on the same gimmick.

We saw it yes, but with one tribe being returnees the dynamic was totally different. The assumption for a lot of players was that the returnees will determine all post alliances but in case of all newbees there will not be a leading-tribe by default.

If the pairs are on the same tribe it will be pretty boring as noone had the chance to bond with one of them but not the other, which will mean that we can expect a lot of 1-2 votes against a pair, because a loner will be considered dangerouse by default. It would be 3 pairs on each side that decide pretty much all pre merge votes. The fact that you have to break up alliances that only consist of 3 voting blocks and not 6 individuals would make it nearly impossible to scramble with success.

Narcissus1916 posted:

"Assuming the Cast doesn't Suck" might as well be Survivor's motto. There are good gimmicks and lovely gimmicks, but casting really is the key to a decent season.

So true. The BvBvB twist we had this season was not that strong in my opinion (most survivor's could have been placed in atleast 2 out of the 3 tribes, if not all 3) but was rescued by good casting. The one world twist on the other hand sounds fun, but was ruined by casting and the fact that they divided by gender (probably necessary to allow the viewer to easily distinguish the tribes).

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 25, 2014

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
I still believe RI was the producer getting drunk and making a bet whether they can rig the game to have a certain person win. It was the perfect storm of 3 seasons in which someone won who did not make big moves over someone who did, selecting the right boston rob scenes to show the candidates and casting one of the worst groups of new players ever. Put in RI as a safety net for Rob (he didnt need it but it would have been there) and you get Survivor: The Boston Rob Cult.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
They could use the arena for 1vs1 (tribes decide on their "champion") and the winner decides whether he takes a reward for the tribe or individual immunity for his loved one.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
John Rocker + girlfriend will probably be the least annoying pair of the 3. I just hope the twins get booted out first.

Red_Museum posted:

EW has an article up on six of the San Juan del Sur contestants, so full cast reveal can't be too far away

The article states that the rest will be released later today. They clearly wanted to have the headlines to be focused on the 3 stunt couples.

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 27, 2014

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
The Exile Island twist is kinda meh. How do they decide which couple faces of? I expect the stronger part of most couples to throw the challenge to help out their weaker counterpart with the reward. And there will probably drama once the second person comes back from Exile Island and informs everyone about the idol clue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

Here's a weird question.

For the people who don't watch Big Brother this season has a contestant named Frankie Grande, a gay failed former Broadway star whose main claim to fame is running a youtube channel that leeches off his famous sister Ariana Grande. A couple of times during the season Frankie has said he originally tried out for Survivor but got cast on BB instead.

Since the stunt couples are John Rocker, an Amazing Race team, and two Broadway gay guys did anyone else have the thought that Frankie may have been telling the truth and might have been the planned third stunt since the Grande thing seems to have more kick to it than "was in Wicked and Spider-Man on Broadway"?

And does anyone else find themselves really wishing Frankie had spent a few weeks with John Rocker instead of three months on Big Brother?

I doubt it. Frankie has this wierd condition about being cold, so he would die in a survivor situation as soon as the first rain falls. Additionally I dont believe that his sister would ever go on reality TV, atleast not in the next 3 years. She has an actual career and could be considered a star. Moreover Survivor never made a big deal of people that were the relative of someone but were more interested in women being in the shadow of their men (Monica in one world, Taj in Tocantins) as a character trait.

But this calendar year we will have 4 cops on BB and suvivor total (2 Cagayan, 1 each for BB and 1 San Juan del Sur).

Also 3 firefighers in San Juan del Sur, will it be the firefighter alliance?

• Locked thread