Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

HUMAN FISH posted:

Gonna use her 3 months of psychology studies to influence the game.

Yeah Alexis, I'm sure that will ready give you a step up on everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Has there been any word on if there's Redemption Island this season?

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

Pinterest Mom posted:

No Redemption.

This season keeps sounding better and better

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

Joose Caboose posted:

This season keeps sounding better and better

Guess I spoke too soon

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
She a nuclear bomb-builder!

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Nice! We're back to separate reward and immunity challenges!

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

Lone Goat posted:

Lost track of time, what did I miss so far?

Morgan called out Jeremiah in front of everyone when they got back from tribal. She also started telling Alexis it was Jeremiah's idea and how he wanted LJ out too. LJ perked up in bed at hearing this. That's about it.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Tony is such a goofball and I love it so far.

I'm sure he'll eventually go down in flames. But it's cool to see him actually making some good moves along with his crazy decisions.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Watch Cliff blow the basketball portion

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Ugh its so obvious that Brawn is going to lose from the editing

Never underestimate the incompetence of J'Tia

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Tony makes some really smart moves in this game - but at the same time is setting himself up to go down in flames.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

Boxman posted:

I'm watching China for the first time and I'm getting my seasons mixed up. Like, I thought "man i bet Frosty is really good at this maze thing."

I watched China for first time a couple months ago and was thinking same thing during this challenge.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Finishing up the few seasons I never saw (Fiji, Gabon, Tocantins) and going through Fiji right now cause I always heard it was one of worst seasons so wanted to get it out of way. So far, it hasn't been nearly as bad I anticipated - clearly nowhere near as bad as the Nicaragua/One World type seasons. Though I could see it being very forgettable. The Alex/Mookie/Edgardo trio did get pretty annoying with their smugness. Also, now I see when what people mean when they talk about the Earl edit - it's definitely very heavy throughout the season.

Couple questions:
Was there some sort of backlash around this time about Survivor not having enough minorities? Because there are so many more in this season than any other I can remember, and not that that's a problem - but I was surprised. I know I read that this is the season that every single player except one was recruited so I guess that can explain it.

Also, I was wondering if anyone knows how many seasons were won by recruits rather than actual fans that applied? Not sure if there's a list anywhere of who were recruits.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Holy poo poo this Fiji jury are bitter assholes

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
No Sarah - Top 6 does not sound a hell of a lot better than Top 5

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
This season has been amazing - one of best in a long time. Also, thank god for that because hopefully it means Jeff/CBS/whoever will back a little off the "we need returnees every season" mentality and realize all new player seasons are still great if they get the casting right.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Watching Gabon right now and GC just pretty much quit. The quitters often are saying how they are quitting because they just want to be home and see their family and friends or whatever - but don't they just go to the same place as all the other pre-jury vote outs and hang out til the taping ends so they don't actually get to see their family earlier?

Or am I mistaken and they actually let people that quit go home? Figure there may be exceptions like Jenna quitting to see her dying mom but what about standard quits like GC or say Fairplay quitting on day 3 cause he wanted to see his new daughter? I know I saw pictures last season of Colton chilling with Rachel and Marissa somewhere after he quit.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

ColdBlooded posted:

I'm finding it hilarious that Jefra was the one who cast her vote for "Queen Morgan" at TC. She seems like she might have an actual personality, too bad the editors don't let us see it.

I kinda feel the same way - there's been a few little things with her recently that give me the impression that she might actually be pretty cool but that she's just getting an invisible edit.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

Unmerciful posted:

Generally the consensus among former players seems to be that people who get invisible edits just aren't giving the producers much to work with in their confessionals. Granted, that could be a biased perspective but I think it makes sense - it's only to the show's' advantage to have as many well-rounded characters as possible.

Yeah I get that. A good number of them are probably really cool people to hang out with but just really boring at talking by themselves to a camera.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

blue squares posted:

Parvati's just a Shallow bitch.

This is great.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

blue squares posted:

WHAT THE gently caress is Tony holding

This.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

Super Aggro Crag posted:

My roommate just said the same thing but I didn't catch it.

It looked like a massive purple spider on a stick or something

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

Bjay9 posted:

Next week or the episode after that is about the time when we'd normally see the Survivor Auction so I imagine we'll see a clue come out for this lovely idol then.

I could see this being next week due to Jeff's weekly interview with Dalton Ross mentioning that next week will have letters from home which IIRC have been part of the Survivor Auction quite a few times

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Yeah, I had seen a healthy chunk of all the seasons before I watched HvV the first time and it was amazing. I've now gone back and filled in my gaps with watching Guatemala, Cook Islands, Fiji, China, Gabon, and now finishing up Tocantins. In the mix of that I did first time rewatches of Amazon, Pearl Islands, and Palau. Right after I finish Tocantins, I'm going to rewatch HvV and I am so excited not only to see the incredible season again - but to see it really knowing every character now.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Really hope that talk of Tyler Perry idol in the recap doesn't mean it's found tonight.

I don't want this season ruined with an overpowered idol.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
#SPYSHACK!!!!!!!!!!

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Good point...

Rob Cesternino @robcesternino · 1m

Memo to future #Survivor players... If a camera person is filming a random bush, it's actually a #SpyShack!

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

So do they not know who flipped and voted out LJ or does Trish just believe Tony's story that LJ was after Woo?

They know - as soon as they got back from tribal Tony said it was him and Woo that flipped.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Jefra with confessional right after immunity saying Tony has to go now....so Jefra goes tonight?

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
My opinion of Spencer dropped because of his comments about Woo. Not because it was offensive or anything - but just because Woo is the coolest.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Yeah I've been rooting for Tony since early and the season and that ruled finding the idol without a clue - but the superidol is really some bullshit and it'd all be a lot cooler if it were a normal idol. If Tony gets to finals, I really hope he can do it without having to use the idol.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

Rarity posted:

Just finished Redemption Island. I can see why it's lumped in with the bad seasons cause there's not much in the way of great strategy but as a huge Boston Rob fan it was a joy to see him completely school everyone for the whole season. Also there was crazy Philip and the hilarity of Matt being endlessly beaten with the poo poo stick at Redemption Island.

Felt really bad for Natalie at the FTC though. Yeah, she was super naive but that's no reason to have such a go at her :smith:

Disclosure: I'm not a Boston Rob fan

The main reason I feel this season really sucked (and possibly my all-time least favorite) is because yeah he schooled everyone for the whole season - but even if you are a fan - is it that interesting to watch a FOUR time player school a bunch of people playing for their first time? Not only that, but most were starstruck fans of him. The season may have had some potential if Russell and Rob both made merge because then at least there would be strategy maybe - but instead it was just hey I've done this poo poo wrong a few times so let me use my unprecedented experience to dominate a bunch of newbies.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
And hey it's cool that I've always been really good at puzzles and almost EVERY challenge this season involves a puzzle.

(I really hated this season)

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

Shakugan posted:

I don't know that he ever really "got poo poo wrong" though, winning Survivor requires a lot of luck. He was eliminated in Marquesas because of bad tribe mixing luck and he was in control of the villains in HvV and probably would have stayed so had Tyson not been a complete moron who didn't understand vote splitting (Rob explained it to Tyson a number of times in the episode; there's no way he could have predicted Tyson's stupidity, just like Tasha and Spencer can't be blamed for not seeing Kass's incredibly stupid move coming). Then we have All-Stars, where he potentially (depending on your level of cynicism) made the most manipulative Survivor move ever (post game even!), by proposing to Amber before the results were read (so Amber, not knowing who would win, has a very strong incentive to say yes) thereby guaranteeing he gets access to the money regardless of who actually won.

You're right in that Redemption Island is just him schooling a bunch of newbies, but it's not because he eventually figured out how to win after bungling 3 previous attempts. It's because Boston Rob is one of if not the best castaways to ever play the game.

That is fair. I don't remember Marquesas circumstances at all because I haven't seen it since original airing, he did dominate All-Stars and got screwed by others stupidity in HvV. I do think he is deserving of a Survivor win and is one of the best people to play. BUT the time he did win I feel was in the least satisfying situation and therefore I had a lot of trouble appreciating it and had a lot of cynicism in that season hating him.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

Rarity posted:

Is it me or is Coach actually kinda likeable this time round?

And you know, I thought Russell was bad but Brandon is so much worse. At least Russell owned the fact he was a dick.

He comes and goes with being somewhat likeable. Also, I forget how far into the season - but I hope you like religion with a side of Survivor because if I remember right - that was one thing that became unbearable in the stretch you're currently in.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

No one would blame you for skipping One World. Things pick up again a lot after that though.

Wouldn't blame you, but also if you are bothering to watch every single season then it's probably worth it just to see how low Survivor gets. There's also a couple characters worth seeing just to know including the worst Survivor ever and an impressive (even if kind of boring) winner. Also, it probably makes Philippines even better when you've trudged through that stretch and suddenly get the "wow Survivor can actually still be good".

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

blue squares posted:

Even as an unabashed Tony fan, this idol stuff is annoying me.

This. gently caress you Tyler Perry and Jeff Probst.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Haha just saw scenes out of order. They showed clip of Tony talking with no idol around his neck 10 seconds after he put it there.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

John Cena posted:

three nerds vs three beefcakes. and the last three voted off were all former beauties!!! what a season~!

It's actually even 4 straight beauties voted out right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Woo remains awesome

• Locked thread