Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Samarium posted:

You left out the best/worst part: The idea came from Tyler Perry, and Jeff wants to call it the Tyler Perry idol.

That's because he has to put his name on everything. It's like some sort of sickness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo that episode was insane. I can't believe J'Tia is still there and I don't know what the Brain are thinking. Smart people should know you don't need to play for Day 39 on day 1 (or day 3).

I have a feeling that Spencer and Kass might pair up and it might end up as a weaker version of Malcolm and Denise.

I just don't get why Tasha is fighting so hard against getting rid of J'Tia even if she would have been next in line and I'm not sure she would have been. She started complaining about wanting to scheme and backstab, but there are times when it just isn't needed and this was one of those times. Garrett might be a threat personally, but J'Tia is a threat to the entire tribe. However, she did get lucky in that Garrett had the HII, but didn't think he needed to bring it.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I got the impression that Tony's spy shack wasn't so much a separate 'building' as he was just making it impossible to see out of the side/back/corner of the shelter and he was going to crouch near the shelter and listen in. But I admit I wasn't paying as close attention as I should to that part.

I also want to see how Miss Cop is going to take it when Tony tells her he really is a cop. I think that lying to originally may be a huge mistake for Tony.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm watching this the day after on demand, so I figured I'd read along with the thread and comment.

ColonelCurmudgeon posted:

She specializes in meltdowns.

Fan-loving-tastic. :laffo:

Seriously, J'Tia might just be worse than Crystal.

Robnoxious posted:

Chickens: How the gently caress does that work?

Hahaha, that was some of the most amazing and dumbest chat I've listened to in a while.

Also, Tony saying "I trust Woo, but I don't trust him" when talking to Sarah was hilarious.

Holy poo poo, I can't believe J'Tia sucks that loving much. She couldn't even get a ball untied just 3 feet under the water. But I have to give some props to Spencer for almost single-handedly pulling off second place for Brains. I really hope they don't vote him off.

Un-loving-believable. Tasha is just as terrible as J'Tia. Why worry who is loyal because the first tribal J'Tia goes after a tribal mix up is going to get her booted because she is so loving bad at challenges and it hurts the team. I don't think they are going to go straight to the merge, so there are going to a least a few more team challenges.

Also, it's terrible that they are saying that Spencer is unloyal when all he really wanted to do was get rid of a terrible loving player. How is that being unloyal? He has never said he was against Tasha or Kass or anyone else who was on the Brains tribe except for J'Tia and that is because she is loving terrible.

Thank loving Christ, they didn't keep J'Tia. I honestly don't know if I could have kept watching if they kept her.

edit -

sleepingbuddha posted:

Illinois, at the Argonne National Laboratory, literally 7 miles from my house.

I am 2 miles away from it.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 13, 2014

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Adus posted:

Has throwing a challenge ever worked out in a tribe's favor?

Russell's tribe in Redemption Island threw a challenge and voted him out. Then he lost the next RI challenge.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

mancalamania posted:

All that said, I think Tasha and Kass are both very bright and I think they are much better players than Spencer. Spencer does have his head in the game and his snarky confessionals are amusing, but he's also pretty bad at the social game and also a bit delusional. "These women have driven the tribe into the ground by voting out two men" is pretty boneheaded and misogynistic, given that he voted one of those men out and they also had their two best challenge performances right after voting out their buffest guy.

His actual quote was: The worst part about being in this tribe is that the girls have succeeded in putting themselves in a power position. The problem is, by doing that, they have run the tribe into the ground.

It's a factually true statement and, except perhaps for using the word girls, I don't think it's particularly misogynistic. He isn't stating that anytime a woman gets to be in power, she will do something wrong. He isn't stating that he hates them because they are women.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

xbilkis posted:

Sugar was the heart and soul of Gabon so I don't blame them for bringing her back first, but yeah the other two weren't really standouts. I'd be willing to see basically anyone who wasn't one of the Onions or Ace return from that season, because they were all really strong personalities on their own (and also insane, and mostly terrible at the game, which made for a great chaotic season).

Yeah, Sugar was crazily awesome on Gabon and they basically had to bring her back. She got sent to exile island 5 straight times in a row and was just like, "gently caress it, I'm just going to relax out here and enjoy it." Then everyone got all butthurt when Sugar turned out and voted them out, despite the fact that none of them really liked her, and ended up giving Susie the most undeserved second place finish ever.

edit - Also, how come this thread never gets stickied anymore?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

sportsgenius86 posted:

I loving hate Kass

I hate everyone on the Brain tribe except Spencer. Even the people who have already been voted out.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Haha, this is the worst balanced challenge ever. But it's fun to watch.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Haha Lindsey is an agist!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
drat, Cliff was fun.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

LeJackal posted:

Maybe you can explain how his ability to drink a beer relates to anything else, because I've never understood the significance of it no matter the context or frequency of its use.
"Man, he sure can drink beer - he should do my heart surgery tomorrow!"
"Man, he sure can drink beer - that obviously qualifies him to be the best president!"
"Man, he sure can drink beer - he deserves to win Survivor!"

I don't get it. There isn't even beer available to Woo.

You don't seem like a good guy to have a beer with.

I'm a little sad that Uncle Cliffy is gone (despite him playing against Jordan, I don't recall him being a dick) because he does seem like a good guy to have a beer with, but I think it was probably a good move for Tony/Trish and definitely for LJ/Jefra. I'm really interested in seeing the fallout next week.

I'm still amused that the Brains tribe is still together especially since they picked their buffs last. I'd almost accuse the producers of rigging it, but why would they?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Pinterest Mom posted:

There's a 25% chance that a three-person tribe would all end up in the same tribe after a random swap. It's fine.

I know they didn't because there isn't any reason to do it, but it will let us know how that whole 'loyalty' issue from last week will play out.

LeJackal posted:

I don't drink beer, which sort of unravels the entire experience at the get-go.

You hear that really loud 'WOOOSH!'? That's the sound of you missing the joke. And proving my point at the same time.

quote:

They falsely believe that without the interfering hands of their production assistants, humans would fail to generate any interpersonal drama. They are wrong, but that doesn't stop them from interfering in the most obnoxious and obvious ways.

I think the only thing I'd really accuse the producers of doing is creating some challenges that seem to be designed for a particular person to win. But even that doesn't always play out the way they expect.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CapnAndy posted:

They picked first and it doesn't matter anyway, it was random chance. 3 people pulling the same color in a row is unlikely, but not staggeringly so.

Oh I must have missed that and just remembered the final shots before they formed the new tribes when it showed Brawn, Beauty then Brains. Picking first does make it possible to rig it, but I don't think they actually did so.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Pinterest Mom posted:

How do you figure the order of the picking matters at all? The number of people on each tribe needs to be the same, they can't just stuff the basket with orange buffs at the last minute.

I thought they used a plate/platter to hold the packages. I admit I wasn't paying that much attention at that point because Ithe picking doesn't interest me, only the results matter.

However, using a plate you can 'force' the first few picks by setting the plate and understanding human instinct. There are 14 packages, so imagine a set up of three rows of three on the bottom and on top is a row of two placed to 'cover' the top/middle rows and a row of three to 'cover' the middle/bottom rows. Then you put the plate in front of someone and say pick one. It is virtually guaranteed that the first person is going to take one of the 5 packages on top and chances are pretty high that the second person is also going to pick one of the top packages. The third person is a bit more of a gamble and after that all bets are off.

Edit - I should state that I really don't think that is what happened. The production assistant being lazy and the editors crafting the story is the most likely scenario.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 20, 2014

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

blue squares posted:

Spencer sure is getting a lot of credit in this thread for figuring out such a no-brainer situation :rimshot:

He's so smart that it took him halfway through the challenge to realize what the other team figured out before it even began

Seriously, the guys should have been in the front from the start because that's where all the power is going to be focused. The back doesn't really do much except continue the momentum that the front starts, both backwards and forwards.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Away we go!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Lindsay is a big old wimp.

Waaaaaaaahhh...that's all I heard.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
This is an awesome looking challenge.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Everyone always thinks that the big guys have an advantage during the individual challenges, but it usually shakes out that they are bad at them because lots of them are body weight stuff.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Wow, Alexis didn't see that coming at all.

And she isn't even a jury member.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

savinhill posted:

Lindsay was real nasty to Trish from the get go, openly mocking her looks, personality, age, and even the way she talked/laughed, just real nasty poo poo to the point that it made it super easy for Sarah to believe Tony's lie about Lindsay talking poo poo about her too.

Trish did not start rubbing her victory in. She started saying something like "I just want to clear the air/say a couple of things" when Lindsay jumped down her throat, that's when Trish started arguing with her. Trish gloated some then and said she didn't like her but Lindsay came at her super hard with some really ugly, uncalled for poo poo. Trish may be super annoying but how anyone can take Lindsay's side in all this is beyond me.

Lindsay strikes me as one of those people who likes to dish it out, but can't take it when it's returned at her. So instead of just laughing it off and moving on, she ends up escalating it even more which is why she ended up removing herself from the game.

I've worked with guys like that a pizza place and a simple and common example from that is throwing dough at each other. It would start with a pea sized piece of dough being softly lobbed at someone, but the return throw would be bubble gum sized and thrown with a bit of force. If the bubble gum sized piece got thrown back with equal force, a fist sized piece would then be whipped as hard as possible.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 27, 2014

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
One thing that seems weird is why do a tribal raid when you are just going to do a merge immediately after it? The producers surely got lucky that it generated the drama that it did this episode, but it really doesn't seem like a great reward.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lone Goat posted:

Lindsay quitting effectively made them skip a week, and it might have been too late to change plans.

That's a good point, although it still doesn't seem like that great of a reward. I guess it's meant more to mess with a tribe because if the orange tribe had won they could only take a weaker version of the stuff they already had at camp.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Shakugan posted:

If Tony returns, everyone's going to know he's full of poo poo and won't fall for anything he says, making him a boring castaway who'll get the axe sooner than later.

How do you explain Coach? The guy was completely off his rocker and made it far in his seasons.

Tony may be full of poo poo, just like Coach, Phillip, but he doesn't seem maliciously mean like Russell.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Metropolis posted:

I think it's 'cause you Ponder all the horrible mistakes you made and how dumb and bad you are while everyone else is still playing.

I always figured it was a reference to the Ponderosa Ranch from Bonanza.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Kass is so stupid. How is she a lawyer?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Boxman posted:

It is hard to articulate how many lawyers there are. They can't all be geniuses.

I know, it's just seems so weird. Maybe she just doesn't talk to actual clients.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Don't do it Sarah! Tony is a snake in the grass!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Why do people thing that being the decision maker at 5v5 is a good place to be? Has it ever worked out?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Shut the hell up Kass. You are so loving stupid.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Now I really just hope Kass goes home tonight. She is completely overplaying for no loving good reason.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

mr.capps posted:

Jeremiah is smarter than people give him credit for. His motives are really simple and straight forward so people just kinda assume he is an idiot but he has typically been right about things.

Yeah, plus I think the accent throws people off too.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

xbilkis posted:

Kass was 100% right not to trust Sarah, about Sarah acting weird about who she'd vote out, and about Sarah not being fully into the six-person alliance :confused:

Sarah is steadfastly refusing to vote out a member of the "other alliance" to establish a dominant 6-4 majority; there's no reason not to try to convince her she's being stupid.

I disagree, in this situation you just let the kingmaker make the decision because it's easiest thing to do. Sarah wants to get rid of LJ/Tony/Woo and any one of those guys is perfect to vote out. She is right on the money that Trish is a complete loser and is a non-entity in the game, so there is no reason to think about voting her out at this point.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Milovan Drecun posted:

We always seem to be watching a different show. How do you not see Sarah as the idiot from that edit? She's the one overplaying her position, and wants to direct the vote at people who have idols. Something Kass and Jeremiah are trying to get her to see.

Actually, if you listen, Sarah wants to vote out Woo first. She was in a tribe with Trish and knows that she isn't a threat. There is no reason to vote her out at this point.

On the other hand, Sarah has been tight with Tony and he could easily be blindsided into not playing his HII because he thinks that Sarah will stick with him.

Sarah is right on the money in this case, vote Woo or Tony depending on the immunity win.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Milovan Drecun posted:

Kass just frucked herself, but no: LJ, Tony and Woo are all bets to have an idol. Trish and Jeffra are recognized non-factors in the game (by Sarah). They are safe bets to not have an idol. An idol frucks the whole thing for the 6. First you get the numbers, then you go after the power players.

And I am listening.

She can be pretty sure that LJ has the idol since that is what Jeremiah was talking about, so sure he isn't going to get votes. As for Tony/Woo it's a toss up. Sarah was gunning most for Woo because he will surely be an immunity idol threat (as evidenced by the challenge he just won), but she can easily blindside Tony since he will surely think that he has the cop bond with her. Tony is not going to want to play that idol unless he is clearly on the wrong side of the numbers.

This is the perfect opportunity to take out Tony even if Sarah thinks he has the HII.

edit - of course when you gather around in a group like that, it kind of ruins it Sarah.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 3, 2014

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Now I think both Sarah AND Kass are being dumb. Sarah could easily get information out of Tony, but she isn't doing it.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Hey, but the good news out of all this is that Spencer doesn't seem to have a target on his back right now.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Haha, you don't move forward with an alliance of numbers. :haw:

What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Haha, Tony is truly amazing.

• Locked thread