Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

carry on then posted:

I always thought Goku should have taught instant transmission to Gohan during the 10 days before the Cell Games but he wasn't very good with the whole planning things out... thing.

Didn't it take Goku six months to learn how to use it himself? Might have been a waste of time to teach Gohan when that time could be better spent pumping him up.

I've always had the sense that Instant Transmission was a really difficult skill to learn in general, not just some easy thing that could be taught in a week or to just anybody. Goku was already a Super Saiyan when he learned how to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

Correction: He never went super saiyan two till he came back.

piccolo is pretty good at gaining strength. Remember that he went from being only a bit stronger than frieza's second from to comparable to a super saiyan after only 3 years of training. Which kind of makes toryiama writing him out of the story bullshit.

Piccolo.

Ehhh I don't know if Piccolo was really on par with the Super Saiyans until he absorbed Kami. He handles himself well against Android 19 and Dr. Gero, but those guys were kinda chumps anyway.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Trunks didn't fight 19 and 20 in the future, though. It's possible that 19 and 20 (if they existed at all in Trunks' timeline) were killed off by the Z Fighters when they showed up even without three years of training. I also don't know that 19 and 20 were stronger than Freeza. 17 and 18 definitely were, no question there.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Imagine four Cells on the edge of a cliff...

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

There's actually three timelines: the main one, the one Future Trunks came from and the one Perfect Cell came from.

From my understanding there were four timelines:

1) Dragonball Z's main timeline where Trunks kills Frieza, Cell Saga happens etc.
2) DBZ where Trunks shows up, the Androids are all killed off by the Z-fighters, and Trunks returns to his own timeline (#3) to be killed by Cell.
3) DBZ but without Trunks showing up, Goku dies of heart failure, Androids go rampaging. Trunks is born and goes back in time, returns after beating the Androids, and is killed by Cell.
4) Same as 3, but this time Trunks (from timeline #1) returns after the Cell Saga and prevents his timeline's Cell from going back in time.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Timeline 2 raises more questions than it answers though. How did the Androids get killed and where did that Cell go?

I think if you remove Timeline 2, you get a much cleaner description that still covers everything.

1) Goku kills Freeza, the Cyborgs kill everyone, Gohan trains Trunks, Trunks goes back in time. Trunks returns here and kills 17, 18 and Cell.
2) Same as above, Cyborgs vanish, Cell kills Trunks and goes back in time.
3) Trunks comes back and kill Freeza, Cell comes back and hibernates. These events causes a "time boom," which creates 19, 20 and 16 and makes 17 and 18 stronger.

Ehh, look at timeline 2 and assume everything is the same except no Cell. Assuming Goku recovers, he alone could be powerful enough to defeat Androids 17 and 18. Trunks from the future certainly believed that Goku would be a tide-turner. Piccolo himself is strong enough to fight to a draw with 17 after fusing with Kami, and Vegeta/Trunks after the Hyperbolic Time Chamber could probably match 16 too. I don't think it's shown whether the chump Trunks that Cell kills ever reached USSJ because he gets caught off guard but it could have still happened.

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

There's no actual proof of this considering the only source is a guy who can't actually sense how strong they are.

Future Trunks fought the Androids more than a few times so I'd think his opinion on their strength would be pretty reliable.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

But that raises the question of "if there's no Cell (ever) here, why does he exist in every other timeline?" What motivates the lack of Cell?

For all we know there was only one Cell who ever successfully went back in time... and it's a Cell that came from a different universe than DBZ's Future Trunks. It could be possible that the Cell who was meant to return to that universe got killed before he made it, for example.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Okay, fair enough, but I'm still confused as to why we're trying to kludge in a fourth timeline. What does the four timeline model account for that the three timeline model doesn't?

It accounts for a Trunks who went back in time but never encountered Cell. The fourth timeline is the one he went back to.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

In the DBZ we all watched they're the same guy. But there's another Trunks who gave Goku his medicine (and may have trained with Vegeta) but didn't fight Cell.

In other words:
Both versions of Future Turnks go back in time, presumably both kill Frieza and give Goku his medicine.
Both versions of Trunks go back to the future for three years.
Both versions of Trunks return to fight the Androids.

Trunks A is our Trunks from DBZ. Fights the Androids, discovers a second time capsule, trains and fights Cell.
Trunks B is chump Trunks. Fights the Androids, never finds a second time capsule, returns victorious, kills Androids, is killed by Cell.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Prison Warden posted:

He's probably pretty hand to have around if you need someone to open a jar of space pickles or move a washing machine or whatever.

The difference between goku and Vegeta is that Vegeta uses his free time from not having a job to actually be a good father.

The good father bit is arguable. I got the impression that Trunks did more or less whatever he wanted and that Vegeta was hands-off at best, taking interest in Trunks and training him only to continue his rivalry with Goku into the next generation. Vegeta was pretty surprised to find out his son could go Super Saiyan; doesn't really seem like he was all that involved in Trunks' upbringing.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

To be honest the only time I remember Vegeta being a good parent to Trunks was knocking him out for his own good before he took on Fat Buu.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Wow that intro straight up spoils every fight except for the Spirit Bomb finish, and practically in order too. That's amazing.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

With RemixSprites doing the voices for Android 16 and Kami, I keep waiting for WeeklyTubeShow jokes to come up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?Ls8Y7q31Tzo

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

So, uh, apparently this is happening?

I'm not sure how to feel about this.

It's been under works for a while, I've seen a few pictures come up here and there. From what I've seen it looks good, aka not a complete joke like Evolution was, and it helps that they're taking on Future Trunks' story which is relatively self-contained.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I watched GT a few years ago before Battle of Gods came out and thought it sucked, I wouldn't have made it through if I wasn't watching it on background while doing other things. The only part of it I thought was good was the Baby Saga, mostly because it was closest to Z in its story arc and tone. Things actually happened in that fight even if it still couldn't match the very worst of Z. But I almost stopped watching when somewhere in the early episodes Goku and crew are on a random planet and run into some guy who is "stronger than Majin Buu!!!" who gets chumped in an episode or two. And the ending is some of the laziest animating I've ever seen; I still have a vivid memory of the Shenron flying closer sequence because they used the same clip four times for it.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

What was piccolo saying he felt nostalgic for? Was it a reference to him being King Piccolo's son?

Android 17 told him to get off his high horse and he was nostalgic for his old ride.

http://youtu.be/phV5K80TuNY

That horse was bad as gently caress.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Don't forget about the Father-Son Kamehameha, the one Gohan used one-handed to take out Cell.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Firstborn posted:

I'm trying to watch it from the beginning again. Give it a real good shot. On a technical level it's impressive, but man it got dated. Myspace jokes, South Park cut-outs, and clips from old Adult Swim cartoons. I'll stick it with it, because some things are clever and if you say it gets better I'll try it.

The Frieza saga is where DBZA really hits its stride and never looks back. The quality of pretty much everything picks up and the writing gets a lot better.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Every time I see this thread with 100+ new posts I always get hopeful that the newest Abridged episode dropped.

Anyway to add some content this post is where I admit that I actually do read Dragon Ball Z fanfics sometimes. The best one I've seen is Bringer of Death, which has Vegeta go SSJ on Namek instead of Goku and recasts Vegeta as the main character. The author is pretty obsessed with getting power levels right but the writing is really good at capturing the feeling of the show, especially the fight scenes. New chapters come out pretty regularly and last I've seen it was on the Otherworld Tournament arc of the story.

Another good one that I've found is Honor Trip, a story about Cell getting hit really hard in the head during his fight with SSJ2 Gohan and becoming a good guy. The story is all over the place but what I like about it is the amount of thought the author puts into his plot beats. For example Cell comes up with some really clever wishes to undo a lot of the damage he caused on Earth.

Of course nothing compares to Multiverse's visual storytelling. But Multiverse also has a written fanfic and it's pretty bad.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The video was pretty cool. It's amazing how good DBM has been overall, even if it's just a glorified fanfic at the end of the day. It's a proper sequel to DBZ.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

If I'm remembering right didn't someone state that they felt a power level on Frieza's ship that was even bigger than Frieza's? Hard to reconcile that with what looks like an untransformed King Cold, unless Frieza's robot parts made him substantially weaker than he'd been on Namek.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Brony Hunter posted:

Piccolo only uses his techniques once. I mean did he EVER use Hellzone Grenade again, even in the anime? :v:

He uses the Weighted Clothes technique in every fight.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Tae posted:

Vegeta was weak as poo poo in Future Trunks timeline

This is how it's explained, somehow right

Did Future Vegeta even make it to SSJ? I don't remember Trunks ever saying one way or the other.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Shindragon posted:

Future Trunks biggest highlight is beating up Freeza and King Cold. As superkameguru says, it's all the way downhill from here. Cuz what happens after that? He gets beaten easily by the Androids, his buffed up form that he hid away from Vegeta ( I can't wait til DBZA Vegeta gives him so much poo poo for it) ends up being useless against Cell since he can't hit him and then he is the first one to get one shot'd by Cell after he returns from his self destruction.

Only saving grace is when he comes back to his time he wipes the floor with the Androids and Cell, but that was basically one sided. :v:

So in short, yeah he is pretty much a disappointment.

I don't dislike him per say, he feels more like the punching bag, and the fact Xenoverse plot is basically revolved around him loving things up in the past is just icing on the cake.

The episode where he goes back into the future and exacts sweet revenge on the Androids and Cell was way badass though.

I loved Future Trunks as a kid, him and Android 17 were my favorites for a long time.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Future Trunks is a huge doof in Xenoverse but he remains one of my favorite characters.

Kid Trunks is such a disappointment.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

A lot of the movies were pretty blatant arc recycles, at least Broly was a somewhat original villain. Turles was another Saiyan invading Earth during the Saiyan saga, the Cooler movies were almost direct mirrors of Frieza's story, Lord Slug was King Piccolo, Android 13 was Cell, and Janemba was Buu.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

On the other hand I don't have to take someone's opinion of a summary of an unreleased movie very seriously.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I started watching DBZ sometime during the Namek saga and didn't see the Saiyan saga until after the Frieza fight had finished airing and it didn't at all affect my enjoyment of the show. I was twelve years old and all I cared about were big explosions and guys punching dudes.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'd still probably recommend starting from the beginning if you have time. The first season is bad compared to their work from (real) Namek onward, but there are still some good funny parts.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I actually enjoyed the Garlic Jr saga, granted I was also a preteen when I watched it.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

What's the gameplay of DB Heroes like anyway? The only videos I've seen of it are the cutscene ones.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I dunno why everyone thought Gohan would ever be the hero of the show. He's always been a reluctant warrior; it was even a plot point in the Cell Saga that Gohan knew he had a hidden rage but didn't want to let it control him. He's definitely the guy who would rather spend time with his girlfriend over fighting villains or getting stronger. Gohan is just not as motivated a fighter when compared to Goku or Vegeta. He has more raw talent than even Goku does but fighting has never been a priority for him.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Nessus posted:

I thought part of why Vegeta got so loving salty is, partly, because he was forced to turn to Goku and beg him to avenge the Saiyans, and partly because Goku became what he couldn't, the Super Saiyan.

If Goku had just like, used his Kaio-whatever horsecrap times fifty and killed Freeza that way, I imagine Vegeta would've been way less pissed off. Instead, not only did he have to beg this low-born dog, he ALSO fulfilled the ancient prophecy!

I think that's a big reason for why Vegeta has a grudge later on in the series, but even early on in the Namek saga he's pretty resentful about getting his rear end kicked. He mentions a few times that he plans on returning to Earth once he wishes for immortality, and bitch-slaps Gohan during their chance meeting as a message to send to Goku.

In any case, Vegeta didn't win on Earth and a guy that prideful wouldn't care about whether he lost one-on-one or was outnumbered. Likewise it probably didn't matter to him that Goku was semi-conscious for half their battle.

facebook jihad posted:

I guess I just never had a problem with Namek's design, especially considering outside of the tournaments almost every battle is fought in a wasteland. It seems weird to pick on Namek for that reason, especially when it's one of the few backgrounds that actually does change as the Freeza fight reaches his climax.

Seriously, what fight in all of DB isn't fought in an environment like that?

e: I'll give that most of the Red Ribbon Army battles are fought in unique environments; and maybe 18 and Vegeta, although I'm not sure how much of that fight was filler and wasn't.

Most of the fights were in wastelands but there were a lot of variations in aesthetics that I can remember. Some good standout examples that I can think of are the Vegeta vs Goku fight (windblown rock outcroppings), the Piccolo vs 17 fight (island), the SSJ Goku vs Fat Buu fight (up far in the sky), the Piccolo vs Cell fight (ruined city), and so on. Namek also had a fair amount of landscape variation and I thought the anime at least did a great job of establishing landscape geography in those battles. The Ginyu fights take place on a field surrounded by some small plateaus for example while the Z-fighters take on Frieza mostly over water or on small islands.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I figured the Androids were stronger because the robots got to analyze Trunks too, and when he first showed up Trunks was goddamn ridiculous compared to everyone else. The other Saiyans caught up due to their training, but before the three years training to fight Terminators he might have been even stronger than Goku.

I'm not too sure about this one. In Trunks' timeline Goku would have shown up and blown up Freeza / King Cold anyway, giving Gero a benchmark at about where Trunks was at or higher. Seems more likely he just wasn't watching, but then again something must have changed for him to have made 16 in the present.

It's a bit of an inconsistency that Gero didn't know about the Super Saiyan transformation yet had gathered Freeza's DNA for Cell.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

e X posted:

Probably because pretty much everything Raditz says in regard to the Saiyans was reconnected almost immediately. But for a more in-universe answer, remember that Vegeta is not actually all that high up in Freeza's organization. All it really takes is half a dozen of Cuis to competently dominate the Saiyans. Also, there had to be a reason the Ginyu Force exists. We now that Earth is actually exceptionally weak, so it is not unreasonable that other planets have a handful of powerful mutants among their population that require Freeza's soldiers to actually put a bit of effort into their work.

Great Ape was a big trump card, Vegeta as a Great Ape on Earth had a higher power level than Captain Ginyu.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

That gif just needs one more frame to fit in with all the other DBZ battle loops.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Cell arguing with the townspeople definitely got the biggest laugh from me. TFS really knows how to write some good innocent bystanders.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Super isn't even that bad. People complaining about a 30-second Vegeta powering up scene need to go back and watch some more of the original series. There were episodes in the Cell Saga that would have half the running time taken up by Vegeta or Trunks powering up to their SSJ1.5 forms. If I'm remembering right there was at least one Freeza episode where he did nothing but transform.

I'm enjoying the TV adaptation of a movie I've already seen. They're already about halfway through anyway. GT ended in like 1997, we had to wait 16 years for BoG to come out and now people can't wait two months for the next arc?

Also I know for a fact that there are a ton of DBZ fans who for whatever reason never got around to seeing the movies, whether because they didn't know about them or haven't thought to pirate them or whatever.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

jivjov posted:

Don't be dense. There's clearly a disconnect between the specifics of how Beerus is being portrayed in Super and how he was portrayed in Battle of Gods.

I think it's been pretty consistent. In both the movie and the show, Beerus is a character who is so far outside of the level of any other character that he basically views the people around him as insects, creatures to be tolerated as long as they don't get in his way or piss him off. They're definitely magnifying the aspect of Beerus as capricious and ill-tempered, but that was in the movie too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Funimation still hasn't done Buu Kai, right? I'd imagine they want to finish that up before starting on Super.

• Locked thread