Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I haven't seen a lot of talking about Battle of Z, which is a shame because it's actually surprisingly good. I am very surprised there hasn't been a lot of buzz about it, but given what DBZ games were for quite a while I can imagine why. I made a write-up of my thoughts about it in case anyone is interested to learn about the game.

I went to metacritic for shits and giggles and it's gotten panned pretty harshly across the board, made me wonder what the hell, since the trailer made it look like intense fun.

So I found out I could download the demo and try it for myself and I feel it got pretty unfairly critiqued, so I plan to pick it up later today.

I'm not really sure what review sites are looking for in a game like DBZBoZ. It is the one genre I kinda want to toss up to the "is it fun" category rather than "is it art", which it seems these reviews operate under.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

The supreme examples of someone with a lower PL managing to pose a threat to a person of a higher level are Goku with Raditz and Android 16 with Perfect Cell. The former had Goku with broken ribs holding a guy about 4 times stronger than him and the latter had 16 holding a guy dozens of times stronger than him.

Or maybe it's just bad writing.

Yeah it's probably that.

This is what you write when you take the powerlevel argument very literally.

Even though there are many, many times proven just how little it matters when even Krillin and Gohan at low powers can even annoy Freiza with a weak-rear end beam attack. It ought to sink in that "4 times as strong" doesn't actually mean "he's as strong as four of you". It's just dumb numbers that mean little besides boosting the villains ego and dig their own dumb graves.

More often than not, willpower is what wins the day in DBZ.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Heck, Vegeta survived because he realized this and crushed his scouter as soon as possible and then started killing the other bad guys. He still couldn't help but brag and show off a bit, but he was still Vegeta after all.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I still feel like the Buu saga was Toriyama's chance to break off with Goku and focus entirely on the kids and Gohan sort of being the protagonist, saving his little brother and Trunks from too much trouble and they could have dialed significantly cut down on the "threats to Earth" hijinks.

Can't change what we got, but it is almost making DBGT feel like it was starting out right.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
gently caress, I really wanna play DB online, drat.

Stairmaster posted:

Holy gently caress, I need to beat that game.

Frankomatic already did it on his YouTube channel, it's terrible compared to the first game.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Goku with Aladdin's facial expressions is making me cry from laughing too much.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

VJeff posted:

Hey Kaoru did a cool thing one time and uhhh oh I can't even try to defend this poo poo. Kenshin is my favorite shounen but man oh man did it suck at that. :smith:

It got a little better in Watsuki's next manga, at least.

When I was reading the manga of Rurouni Kenshin, it struck me that he saw Kaoru as a really strong female character, just that she was vastly outshined by the rest of the cast who were the protagonists and their anti-thesis, but he also felt remorse at not being able to show just how strong she was when writing it originally.

He did allow her to completely disable her opponent with just the hilt of her blade though, which is really badass.

It was a lot worse with the anime-only content I guess most of you mean when you reference Kenshin, where she was basically a damsel in distress.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I always liked that idea that Kid Buu wasn't more powerful, but just such concentrated evil that he became the perfect target for the Spirit Bomb.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

BlitzBlast posted:

Look if any of those guys had saved the day we wouldn't have gotten the awesome Hercule Saves The Day ending. And that just wouldn't be acceptable.

And not to mention would have made the bonding between Buu and Hercule ultimately pointless, which would have been lovely writing.

There are other ways to write around that, really. All while Goku and Vegeta stepped out of the spotlight to train in the afterlife, even.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Reminds me that I only saw GT in it's Japanese form, which was really draining.

This makes the English dub look kinda good. What is going on?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Mister Roboto posted:

Roshi's moon-nuke was definitely part of the gag era, but if you want to rationalize it, it's part of the canon that Roshi indeed has that much power in him, but he also demonstrates he cannot maintain it for more than a second or two. See: the first Kamehameha, where he buffs out like crazy but it vanishes fast.

Oh man, another favorite moment from Budokai Tenkaichi 3 was a what-if story I think, where you can totally take control of (a completely drunk) Super Roshi and fight Broly. And beat the living poo poo out of him. Make the Super Saiyans look like a bunch of twerps.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Freeza being the final boss would mean that all that foreshadowing of Gohan was pointless, so I am glad we got the Cell saga, even if I feel it should have had no dumb blowing up Goku with King Kai.

It could have tied a bit neater into the Buu saga that way too, with Gohan, Goten and Trunks taking the lead over their retired fathers who can't seem to stay calm unless they are fighting each other.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

BlitzBlast posted:

Freeza explicitly says the spirit bomb could have killed him. It's actually completely unexplained how he survived, he just kind of did. Even he's surprised he lived.

I think it works on the same principle like the Devilman beam in Dragonball, except that if you have even an ounce of goodness in you, you can survive, and Frieza for how evil he was, was still a being borne of flesh and blood and not a magic construct from the very concept of evil like kid Buu was.

At least that is what I assume Vegeta also concluded and why he recommended Goku charge one up.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

TARDISman posted:

I always wanted to play BT3, never got a chance before it became super scarce and prices for it shot up to $45+.

I'm so glad I managed to get that one and not anything else, because it is simply amazing.

I even set up my computer to be able to emulate it now, since Wii looks like turd on modern TV's.

I still need something for making the Wii-mote to work though, the LED light part is what throws me off a bit.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I kinda prefer the androids as presented, not too different, just a tad modernized sass to them.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

StrifeHira posted:

So the Dragon Ball Heroes avatars got their new designs all set up.

I dig Genome's (Cell lookalike) wing/scarf/cape thing, kinda Gargoyles-ish.
Also hey the SS3 designs for the girls.

I don't know what is best here, the bottom Emperor Piccolo in super-spiky armor or Admiral Buu.

I really want a game where I can play these sayans though, holy gently caress. A beat-em-up RPG or something.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Good news! There's a long-running RPG franchise with designs like that!

Dragon Quest is fun, but doesn't exactly have those designs. Or a beatemup aspect.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
That is bizarre.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

AlternateNu posted:

What're you talking about? That's like the one thing he is intimately particular about.

I wouldn't trust him not to eat it though.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Petiso posted:

He kinda did once :haw:

I was half-way expecting the Yajirobe fight where he eats one of Piccolo's youngs.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Seemed like he missed out on realizing #18 wasn't evil, but the androids did have a ton of data on Goku put into them.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It was a Q&A with Toriyama where the question was "How did Vegeta learn about bargain sales? Did Bulma take him shopping? Poor sod" sort of.

The answer was "he learned it from watching TV like a slob."

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Squallege posted:

Surprisingly "prince of all saiyans" isn't something you can put on your resumé.

Wouldn't stop him. Ever.

gently caress, if I was a prince, I'd put that on my resumé.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Oh god dammit, it won't load for me.

Might be because I checked this at work, but still. I have a break just long enough and it not loading is just sad.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

SirDrone posted:

and lets hope they make cell creepy when it get's to the vore part.

I'll forward this message to them. :unsmigghh:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I thought Nappa was the funniest part of the early parts of DBZA, but eventually he leapt into his own meme form and they recognized it and downplayed him heavily over time and even point out how tired his sthick is in the Kai Abridged series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo5Rhn8zuPA

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

God, this is going to be great. All three forms. Holy poo poo.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I thought it worked really way as a minor distraction, but I feel it's too soon in a few ways. It seems older material is better analyzed for making fun of.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

So while I'm here, GT update: This isn't very good but it's not that bad yet either. It's kind of got a classic Dragonball thing going, and while it stacks up poorly to the original, it hasn't gone full Phantom Menace on me.

That said, I've only finished nine episodes. Everything I know tells me this is going to get ugly. Once I'm done with this episode I'll probably go to bed and pick this up later.

Fake edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwoaTeGSlLg

okay this is pretty bad

It starts out really promising, I felt too, but it gets really ugly when it gets out there.

That said, I personally think a lot of the movies are worse than GT as a whole. I guess a redoing of the entire GT stuff in abridged style would make it more watchable.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

The thing most irritating about GT is how weak Pan is. Daughter of Gohan, one of the most powerful beings in the universe, and Videl, a pretty strong fighter in her own right, should be a badass even as a kid. Instead, she plays a far less useful Bulma-esque role. How stupid. Goten could go Super Saiyan at her age and for him it just kinda happened when he was sparring.

Thank god someone feels the same way I do.

I kinda wanna rewatch GT and make a note of every time Pan should have gone Super-saiyan to make her more relevant, but I am not sure I hate myself quite that much.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I've been reading DBM, and my god the art on it is stunning right now.

I feel like it's really picked up with this latest chapter.

The art really only falls behind when covering side-stories and I view those as sort of distractions while work is being done on the main chapter.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

visceril posted:

That trunks looks like the kid from that Yaranaika yaoi

i am a child

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Dubbing in the era before video editing software was cheap and readily available sure sucked.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Most of the time might just be coding shaders, since Half-Life 1 was never designed to look anywhere near that good.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Pyroi posted:

I like Budokai Tenkaichi 3 on the Wii, just because I can make the kamehameha hand pose and Goku will do it.

This. Funny thing is that the Kamehameha works without motion sensor, a fact I found out while testing with an emulator. A lot of other moves you wouldn't really believe, uses the Wiimote though and it made some combinations impossible without a cheap IR thing I don't own.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Maltose posted:

Tenkaichi 4 will be a failure if I can't beat Broly with the Farmer and his gun.

Only unlocked by playing through the entire Z-saga as Hercule.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Buu saga had so many balls and it dropped all of them. Seven of them, actually.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

On the other hand, Vegeta actually does a significantly better job than Goku.

As a Saiyan elite, Vegeta was groomed for Dairy Queen.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

facebook jihad posted:

The 'all of them' line is just a reference to a goofy piece of dialogue in the Piccolo fight at the end of Dragon Ball. That's it. There is no underlying joke. I actually didn't understand what he was saying until someone in the thread disclosed what he said, then I heard it. It is kind of jarring to see late Dragon Ball drawing style spliced in with the Freeza saga though

Technically it is from early on, being from volume 16 of the manga, which is 42 volumes long. Not sure how far along it was animated or such though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Kild posted:

He's the Nameless Namek / Son of Katas. Then he met the previous Guardian who rejected him from being the New Guardian because of the hatred in his heart. So he separated into two beings.

If I remember it correctly, he took the name Piccolo because it opened his spaceship/house. He became a fairly powerful warrior and the Guardian of the Earth told him he would have offered him the position if he was pure of heart, so Piccolo split in half right there, one part pure, the other... Well. Piccolo kept his name while the pure part became the new God, Kami of Earth.

Kami literally means god in Japanese, or at least deity, so it's a strange untranslated artifact that is just curious to look at now. Which is why when Piccolo and Kami fuses, he isn't Piccokami as Goku suggested, but keeps the Piccolo name. It was his to begin with.

• Locked thread