Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I'm so excited about Xenoverse. My original character is going to be the most original original character available. And by that I mean I hope they have angel wings. I played the beta on PS3 back in October and if the full game is just that again, I'll still like it a lot. Now one thing I'm not sure of, and can't seem to find an answer to: can you only play the original canon and then the new story separately or do your actions in battle create a branching narrative?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I just want to do repeated and sudden alignment shifts, turning heel or face on whomever I please. That's all.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

The good news is those gold and crystal Saiyan Armor suits you get from the preorder look really slick, regardless of how much narrative control we are offered. And like I said earlier, the actual gameplay is pretty fun, or was 6 months ago, combining the chaotic gang warfare of Battle of Z with a bit more control and choice like a Raging Blast or BudoTen title. I hope they apply some sanity checking to the character selection where the pro strat is no longer just to pick 4 clones of your best dude at all times.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Endorph posted:

I meant in multiplayer.

Battle of Z assigned everyone a power level (all their stats totaled, ran from 240 to about 3K I think) and you could set a min/max per team when building a lobby. It was pretty noticeable as you went up.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Quite a few of the DB games are quite well reviewed, Budokai 3 and Super DBZ immediately spring to mind.

Also I quite liked Battle of Z. I understand why people didn't, but it made a lot of adventurous moves (4v4, fully voiced villain narrative, etc.) the actual combat was a bit chaotic and no local multiplayer is a glaring problem, but I had more fun with it than quite a few DBZ games I could mention.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

i wonder if Frieza Clan dudes get a transformation, and if so I hope it's more interesting than Cooler's advanced mode. Ideally you could select any of the five forms we've seen plus a few.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

New Leaf posted:

They do not. As far as I can tell, though, you get to use components from a lot of different forms that we've seen, so you can make them look like they're in whatever form.

That's good at least. I know that Super Saiyan is supposed to be Special and Important, but I wish they'd given all the OC races a mid-combat upgrade of the same class. SSj for Saiyans, Transforming for Frieza Clan, Absorbing/Fusing for Nameks and Majins, maybe some Android wackiness for Humans?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

Cooler's advanced form is super cool, because it's loving Super Shredder.

Sure, but after all of Frieza's crazy transformations, it's like "you got a hat, hooray". I did like how they had him start in what looked like Frieza's final form, good way of telegraphing that he was a bigger deal.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I always took it as similar to the Goku/Gohan full power SSJ thing where Cooler's so much more used to 4th form so he can control it. Alternately he is just so much stronger that his base resting PL is in 4th form, while Frieza's is down at 530000 so he naturally walks around at 1st form.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I just want to see 3rd form Frieza using that little hover chair he used for 1st form.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Esroc posted:

Arcosian transformation is more like controlled mutation. Much like how a caterpillar will mutate into a butterfly to achieve flight, select Arocisans of the royal bloodline can mutate their bodies to accumulate more strength and ki.

The "first" form is the natural state for the Arcosian species and the form most of the species is stuck in for the entirety of their lives, but those with royal genetics can willfully enter a state of metamorphosis that twists their body into a new form with ever increasing power as they ascend upwards in stages of mutation, opening up their bodies to accept more ki. Theoretically there is no upper limit to these forms. One could wager an royal Arcosian with enough training and willpower could push their bodies to God-like levels of power. This is why Arcosians are presented as rival "brothers" and analogues to the Saiyans, they both have the same potential for power via mutation and transformation respectively. However the royal Arcosians successfully kept the Saiyans weak for millenia and thus had no need to attempt a mutation beyond the 4th and 5th tiers of their power. This makes sense, as going beyond the 4th form would make it highly unlikely for the Arcosian to assimilate into physical society very well. A single errant sneeze could lay waste to a city, after all.

Freeza is a special case in that unlike the rest of his royal family, he adopts the form of his lowborn brethren. However, this makes a kind of sick sense when you look at Freeza's personality. He revels in sadism and destruction, and is the most powerful of his species (including Cooler! But we'll get to that). Why not lower yourself to the primitive body of your subjects and sow rumour of your awesome power despite your lowborn appearance? It would be frightening to look upon your prince, who looks just like you, and knowing that at any moment he could unleash hell like a natural disaster given flesh. And it opens opportunity for subjects to question the power of their dear leader, who will then gladly demonstrate.

Cooler remains in his 4th form due to an amusing inferiority complex. You see, due to Cooler arriving on Earth within the first year or so after Trunks' arrival, when he and Goku fought Goku could not have been much more powerful than he was when he fought Freeza . A being who was able to, at least for a little while, stand toe to toe with a very angry Super Saiyan. Cooler, on the other hand, while in his 4th form barely equals to Goku in his base form! Already Cooler, for all his pompous bragging, has proven himself to be weaker than his own brother. Thus in a move of desperation he pushes himself to a new tier, a 5th form. Why look daddy! I've pushed past even Freeza's forms! Look at me! Look at me! Except that in Cooler's 5th form he is torn apart by a Super Saiyan with little effort. The same Super Saiyan that Freeza fought to a near standstill in only his fourth mutation!

Cooler is a jealous, angry sibling that is hurt that Freeza has surpassed him so completely that even by breaking the known limits of the royal bloodlines power isn't enough to rival his own baby brother.

Yeah! Yeah!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Reminds me of the 700000000 word Dabura vs Cell rants I used to read on GameFAQs.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I like how at the end of Cell it looked they were going with Gohan as The Guy now and then haha nope status quo forever

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Azubah posted:

Have they said how many Original Characters Do Not Steal you can have in Xenoverse?

In the PS3 Network Test Beta I played, there were 4 slots, but you could only use one in the test, so that's what I'd assume. Maybe 5 so you can have one of each race?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

The stream I saw had 8 slots.

Dude Human, lady Human, dude Saiyan, lady Saiyan, dude Majin, lady Majin, Namek, Frieza. Perfect number of slots.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I thought some of the most compelling stuff in the series was the early Android 17/18 episodes where the heroes were completely outgunned, their big trump card (transforming to SSJ was no longer good enough, they had nothing to do but run and hide.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Yeah that's kinda what I meant, the first third of DBZ had the heroes going higher and higher up the food chain of an evil galactic empire, it gave the opportunity for loads more characters to turn up and have a greater diversity of fights and Frieza was just the final antagonist of his saga rather than the overwhelming focus of it (though the foreshadowing and buildup he got was great for building the hype). The Cell and especially the Majin Buu sagas seemed more interested in rushing off to the ultimate super-opponent part much more quickly

To be fair, Cell didn't just appear ex nihilo. He was a logical followup to 17 and 18, which followed out of 19 and 20. There was still a build up.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I loved the pre-Buu parts of the Buu Saga, like the continuing adventures of Son Gohan, Earth's Mightiest Schmuck, and Babidi's spaceship, where we meet Pui Pui and Yakon who get destroyed while the saiyans make air jerkoff motions.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

He means of the characters. They frequently go so fast they vanish from sight!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

17 was pretty good as a villain. Never really had that final boss status like Frieza, Cell, or Buu did, but "here's a disaffected teenage dickhead, also he has phenomenal cosmic powers" is a pretty good transitional bad guy.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Plus Goku could just abuse the fact that he can teleport across dimensions at will, find Super Saiyan God Vegeta, fuse, come back, one shot Supes as SSG Gogeta, and we all go home happy the end.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Removing characters from the context of their own stories for the purposes of trying to determine who's 'objectively' stronger is stupid as gently caress and some gamefaqs-tier posting

Technically since it started from an episode of Death Battle, this is YouTube tier posting :v:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Rudoku posted:

They used GT Goku. The same GT Goku that sees a robot from hell absorb his attacks, then decides to shoot more ki attacks.

To be fair, this logic 100% totally worked against Yakon.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Rudoku posted:

But Yakon wasn't a cyborg that was built to absorb Goku's energy.

But does Goku recognize that as a relevant detail?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Three weeks until I can make a hulking, crystal clad Saiyan warrior who is legally not infringing on any copyrights.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I wonder how fat I can make a Saiyan. I'm sure Majins can approach spherical and humans can get quite rotund, but I want a 5'0", 600 pound Saiyan.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Rudoku posted:

So you want to recreate Onio?

Yes. Then get all my moves from Burter and Teen Gohan and other speedy, floppy chars.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Gohan should have been the only SSj2. The child has surpassed his father and claimed his mantle of Defender.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I would have also accepted Hyper Saiyan, Ultra Saiyan, or Mega Saiyan.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Not just that Each costume apparently has it's own moveset, so we don't have to have 5 versions of Vegeta or whatever.

Please do not be rude to:

-Goku (Dragon Ball),
-Goku (Early),
-Goku (Mid), Super Saiyan,
-Goku (Late), Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 2, Super Saiyan 3, Gogeta, Super Gogeta, Vegito, Super Vegito,
-Goku (GT), Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 3,
-Super Saiyan 4 Goku, or Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta

I love Budokai Tenkaichi 3 but they kinda jogged to those 192 characters.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I'm a little annoyed with (almost) no ingame transformations, but it makes sense considering you'll sometimes have 6 human players all flying around, can't pause for a transformation cutscene. Maybe make them go into a little opaque aura bubble for a few seconds.

Oh well. I hope there's a tuxedo. I want to do a Universal Spirit Bomb in a tuxedo.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Sometimes Vegeta explodes because of his family.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

There's Jump Ultimate Stars which is similar to Smash.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

So according to the wiki, all created characters in Xenoverse can learn the Kaio-ken up to x20 and Nameks can choose to be the 9 foot tall King Piccolo type. Both very neat. Also they decided a Majin's antenna is just hair and can be styled as such. Makes sense, considering they are jelly people.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

New Leaf posted:

Hoooly poo poo, some of these costumes are hilarious. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIMhzY-0E6Q These are unlockable costumes of other DBZ characters that you can wear on your custom character, just can't change the colors. It starts out pretty standard, but as it keeps going further, you run in to Videl's tournament outfit on a man, plus Android 18's outfit with the big pearl necklace, Emperor Pilaf's giant poofy collar outfit, the Dragonball "Native American" look, all of Ox King's clothes. Pretty amazing stuff here. I do like that if I wanted to make a big bruiser Saiyan down the road I could at least dress him like Broly.

Maybe my first character will be a big redhead with 16's armor. Nice to include that, if not him.

Kild posted:

Extend your experience in the unique universe of Dragon Ball Xenoverse with the Season Pass!
More playable characters and many more exclusive elements included in the DLC packs:

Episodes and Quests
Masters and Masters Quests
Stages
Skills, Costumes and accessories
Z-souls

$25

:eng99:

Well I can't say I didn't see that coming. New Episodes and Masters should be neat. Probably will have to pay to learn from a lot of the villains.

projecthalaxy fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 8, 2015

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

If I was understanding that clip correctly, it looks like going SSJ fills your Ultimate slot, that's an interesting twist.

And yeah that seals it, my first dude is going to wear General Blue's suit and use one of the giant Death Balls. I wish it was the 27th.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

My main question is what the requirements to get a master are. Mainly, I want Frieza's ultimates (the expanding Death Ball and the Evil Purple Destructo Discs), but I wonder what the game will require of me before I can use them. Beating him in Story seems like a reasonable thing, maybe.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Looking at the roster video now. I assume the metallic purple forms of Cell, Buu, Gotenks, etc are the evil time wizards controlling them?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yeah it's weird that Aura Change isn't in, considering it's been available dependably since at latest Budokai 3.

I'm sure it will be available for a nominal fee per color :v:.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

A Majin; named, styled, and roleplayed after the style of the Phillie Phanatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Maybe, for convenience, you should just name all of your CaC's, regardless of race, Kevin.

• Locked thread