Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Everyone who knows anime knows what Dragonball is, and if you don't there's plenty of people here who will gladly explain everything over 8000 times.

Interesting Dragonball News:

More of the Bardock saga, possibly:

Viz is releasing an English version of the full color comic:

The Buu saga is coming to Kai, supposedly:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-11-23/australia-madman-ent/dbz-kai-buu-saga-should-come-in-2014

Akira Toriyama recently did his "final" full manga as he's retiring. It was called Jaco the Galactic Patrolman. This is important for DB fans, it's not being translated very fast by scanlation groups, but it actually IS related to Dragonball, but to say how will spoil it.

It's really hard to find translations of it, only the first two chapters were done by scan groups and put online:

http://www.manga2u.me/Jaco_the_Galactic_Patrolman/1/01/

If you can understand Japanese, read it and marvel at Toriyama's final drawn contribution to the DB universe.

Some good resources for fans:

The wiki, which has every obscure fact ever:
http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

For good DB news:
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/

Dragonball Abridged, which everyone already watches and if you're not, you should be:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Good fan manga:

Dragonball Wrong Time. Art is ok, but the premise is pretty interesting.

http://selphiesk.deviantart.com/gallery/28191285

Dragonball Multiverse. The writing is a bit weak but the art makes up for it:

http://www.dragonball-multiverse.com/en/page-0.html

Dragonball AF by Toyble. Sort of a self-aware parody of all the Dragonball AF rumors over the decades.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/toyble/
Translations: http://desirecampbell.com/projects#dbaf

This fan artist managed to turn this into a real career doing the manga for the Dragonball Heroes video game:

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Heroes:_Victory_Mission

Dragonball Who wants to be a superhero? Slow to update but is pretty funny:

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17272

Thread will be updated with Dragonball news as time goes on.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jan 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Last Celebration posted:

That bullshit in Abridged with the purple aliens being the distant descendants of belligerent killer were-monkey men was totally made up by Team Fourstar, right? Right?

Those guys are the Plantians.

They live on Planet Plant, which eventually becomes Planet Vegeta a gazillion years later.

Plantians lived there in their little cave race. Then, eventually, the planet had two dominant species, the Tuffles and the Saiyans. The series has contradicted itself because some people say they both always lived there, but then later accounts say that the Saiyans came later and conquered the Tuffles and took their tech as well.

Dragonball mythology is a bit mired here, because this means the primitive Saiyans somehow came from another planet to conquer them. Given the Saiyans' savagery, it's never really explained how they got the tech, though it would be easy to fanwank and say they stole it or Freeza found them and tested them out on Plant.

So the Plantian bug-heads either:
-Evolved to become the Tuffles/Saiyans
-Were wiped out by the Tuffles
-Were wiped out with the Tuffles by the Saiyans
-None of the above, they just went extinct on their own.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jan 28, 2014

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
One thing I forgot to mention but I edited into the OP:

Jaco The Galactic Patrolman.

Akira Toriyama did another manga recently, officially his final one since he's retiring from the daily grind.

The reason why this is interesting is because it ties into Dragonball. To say more will spoil the entire Jaco series.

You can read the first two chapters in English here:

http://www.manga2u.me/Jaco_the_Galactic_Patrolman/1/01/

However, finding the rest in English online seems really hard, I think maybe because Viz Manga got the rights to release it.

It features a scientist named Omari, who is the bald man here in Toyble's clever fanart, which is linked because it's a spoiler and gives away how the series is related to Dragonball:

http://i.imgur.com/HAChh2f.jpg

The reason I can't give too much about the plot is because even little details will ruin it, but if you don't mind being spoiled and don't want to wait, here is a massively spoiling image about how it ties into Dragonball:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-CLa_QA4R-PU/UkQmKXtGcWI/AAAAAAAAJnI/CRdelgsP1Jo/s1600/Schermafbeelding+2013-09-26+om+14.03.46.png

If anyone can help find the series translated beyond the first 2 chapters, that'd be great! Otherwise, there is a supposed bundled version of all chapters being released in April, perhaps it will be scanned then.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 28, 2014

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

funkybottoms posted:

OP shouldn't it be over 9000 times?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
This is a group of Brazilian artists doing Dragonball homages:

http://dragonball50br.tumblr.com/

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Szmitten posted:

That's a really really interesting take on Raditz.

Check the link, there's at least 50 more takes:

http://dragonball50br.tumblr.com/

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Toyble on why Gotenks did not appear in GT (right to left):

(They forgot how to do it)

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 1, 2014

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Toriyama dropped a small present for the fans about the upcoming collected book of Jaco the Galactic Patrolman. Big DB spoilers:

We'll finally see who Goku's mother is.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Thing to note about power levels: Everyone who relied on them was a villain, and everyone who ONLY relied on them suffered horribly for it.

Power levels were never intended to be concrete--they were the exact opposite of that, showing how useless reducing people to numbers is.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Now that I think about it, when was the last time an actual human being actually beat anyone? Like, who mattered. At all.

Was it Krillen blowing up the Saibamen? Or maybe his contribution to beating Guldo?

Not a lot, but Tien did hold off Cell for a while.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah, I remember that and that was legitimately cool, but it was cool precisely because Tien didn't have a loving prayer of actually beating Cell. I'm talking about straight up beating somebody.

Krillin took out a few people in the Buu Tournament. And if you count movies, there's villain sidekicks that get taken out a lot.

Otherwise, nope, humans were useless pretty much after SSJ was invented.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Also Buu saga Krillin also finally managed to nail someone with the Kienzen and slice them in half...unfortunately for him it was Kid Buu who that doesn't affect.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

AlternateNu posted:

She didn't become a human again until after the Cell Games, and they wished for her to turn back into a human. She was (more or less) a cyborg before that.

That makes me wonder: Did they ever mention about how powerful 18 was after she was transformed back? She was still technically stronger than Krillin even after that, right?

No, she was still a cyborg, she just had her self-destruct bomb removed by the dragon.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
It's a pity that Toriyama never even tried to explain how Krillin won #18 over.

I mean, he honestly admits he just can't write romance at all and that's why, but still, even a gag manga would work.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Petiso posted:

It's crazy (and kinda incoherent) how strong a mere human becomes after Gero's modifications, stronger than a base supersaiyan which overpowers Freeza who had a reputation even around the afterlife gods. If we assume 17 and 18 were just regular teenagers imagine how insanely strong people like Krillin or Ten would become after the same modifications.

That's just a natural side effect of writing a fighting manga where every villain HAS to be a bigger, stronger threat.

In-story, Gero was specifically said to be a genius, too, by Bulma's family...who were supergeniuses already. If you're willing to accept that super-smart Bulma and her father could build giant spaceships, defy the laws of physics, and make TIME MACHINES, another scientist building super-strong androids shouldn't be much of a stretch.

Also, Gero was working for many years, and part of DB lore has always been that if you push hard enough, with enough time and training, you will exceed anyone.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Rudoku posted:

But Goku almost got killed by him, too. He had to be saved by freaking Arale.

Blue's entire character is very odd. He constantly outwits and dominates the heroes and is beaten mainly by multiple examples of dumb luck. And then he's killed off unceremoniously by a tongue.

I think Toriyama just wrote himself into a corner with Blue and just got sick of him and needed a Deus Ex way out.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

tsob posted:

That theme song is pretty cool, but it doesn't really seem to fit her character to be honest. It seems to fit a femme fatale like Catwoman better than #18 who was a straight up fighter and never really used her sexuality at any point. Was it even used during the show at any point out of interest?

No, other than kissing Krillin in an attempt to scare him, she was pretty :effort: about her sexuality. She just seemed angry and bored all the time and that was her primary motivation for doing anything.

She also comments on how immature 17 is at times since he'd rather make a game of everything.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Fun trivia: 17 and 18 were just rear end in a top hat teenagers who ran away from home and were out wrecking things. Gero just happened across them and took the opportunity to kidnap them.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

I've never ever seen 17 and 18 as teens. They neither act nor look the part.

By the time they meet Goku and friends, they're likely a few years older and far more bitter after being experimented and roboticized over the years.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Toriyama never really put reality in front of a gag.

So Goku looking like a kid, but really being 13, was funny, so he did it that way, that's all.

It made for gags like bathtime Bulma going from "aw he's just a confused little boy" to "RAPIST PERVERT TEENAGE BOY KILL HIM."

And it was also an example of Toriyama's favorite joke, tiny little kid beating up big huge guys.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
The only two movies that totally fit are Bojack and Wrath of the Dragon. Maybe the first Cooler as well.

The others, you have to do some pretty serious fanwank to explain the inconsistent behaviors and contradictions.

Personally, I like to think of the DB movies as "What if the heroes DID beat the villain at a certain point?"

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Esroc posted:

I didn't get the impression that Goku couldn't change at will in the first Cooler movie. Just that he held off on transforming until Cooler really pissed him off.

Yeah, you can handwave it with Goku trying to gauge, as usual, how much energy he had to use to take out the opponent, and also possibly not to overtire himself.

WhiffleballDude posted:

Bojack fits, Wrath of the Dragon fits (although Goku is somehow stronger than Gohan post-Kai powerup in this one which is total bullshit),

Stairmaster posted:

By that logic that rules out movie 13.

Not really, while Gohan IS totally stronger, him being uninspired and slacking on his training is also part of his character, so it's not TOO hard to think that, maybe in the year or so from Buu to Wrath, he got lazy.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Ak Gara posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Trunks say that what ever he does when he goes back in time, won't have any effect on his timeline? What's the point then? His world is still gonna be hosed?

Yep, he knows, because time travel in Dragonball Z doesn't actually exist. You can't change the past, you can only jump to a parallel universe where things went differently--which is a result of you jumping in the first place.

The only ray of light in Trunks' universe is that now he's killed Cell and the androids, so for all intents he is now the strongest being on the planet by far, which means he and his mom can probably rebuilt humanity.

A few what-if stories, like games and fanfics, often have future Trunks have to deal with Dabura and Babidi some years later.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

WhiffleballDude posted:

They were fighting a kaiju, I don't think skill had much to do with it.

Yeah, and there's also a universal fact of Dragonball that everyone always forgets in power debates: The strongest person can still be beaten by the weakest if they're careless or taken off-guard.

Goku defeating Hirudegarne because Gohan was out of commission is not a plothole in itself, since Gohan being knocked out is not a plothole either. Just because they're stronger doesn't mean they can't be beaten and a weaker person finishes the job.

Arguably this happened a few times in the series, i.e. Vegeta being beaten by Krillin and Gohan (and Yajirobe). While Vegeta did beat Goku, the amount of damage done by Goku to Vegeta made him weak enough to be beaten by the weaker trio.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Dragonatrix posted:

Which is kinda weird if you think about it for a moment. He went back to his own time, beat 17 & 18 only to eventually get taken down by Cell absolutely effortlessly... and Cell at that point was weaker than the 17 and 18 from the past. Which is fair enough normally, but Trunks gets strong enough to be able to handle them before going back to his own time. :psyduck:

Okay, you could argue that it was probably a Cell from a different future where 17 and 18 were weaker than the ones Future Trunks had to deal with but then it just gets even more convoluted and confusing.

It's not that confusing--again, just because someone is stronger does not mean they can't be taken off-guard. Happens all the time in the series.

Imperfect Cell was shown to have the ability to hide his Ki. So he could easily sneak up and take an unprepared Trunks out. Especially as THAT Trunks was the one who went back after the first warning to Goku.

In fact, the finale of the Trunks saga shows exactly that--Trunks goes to the location where he knows Imperfect Cell is hiding and waiting to kill him. Trunks calls him out and Imperfect Cell is surprised because it should be impossible for Trunks to know he's coming.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 6, 2014

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Just to clear up any future confusing questions: Power levels do NOT define battles. That's the whole point of them, to show how people that rely on "who is stronger" eventually suffer for that assumption. People forget that the first person who relied on power levels, Raditz, DIED because he didn't realize skills and talent fluctuate, proving their uselessness.

There's tons of examples of stronger people being taken down by weaker ones, usually when the stronger is taken off-guard:

All the way from Majin Vegeta vs. an off-guard SSj2 Goku:

Back to the when Yamcha beat Goku (who was distracted out of hunger):

And for good measure, here's the scene that explains how Cell planned to Ambush Trunks:

And how Cell DID manage to do it in his timeline:

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Feb 6, 2014

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Soulcleaver posted:

Are the only Dragonball scans around STILL the ugly, badly-edited, mirror-flipped scans from 1998? Haven't there been a couple VIZ English releases and re-releases?

Generally speaking manga sites don't scan official US releases.

Companies ignored scanlations for stuff that's Japan-only, but when it's things sold here, that can cut into profits and is basically piracy.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Monaghan posted:

I'd absolutely love a movie with vegeta as the star. Toriyama's come a long way from begrudgingly keeping vegeta around because fans liked him.

Although I thought the dbz movie did well and I'm guessing it'd make good bank in a worldwide release, so here's hoping.

I honestly think Dragonball still has great potential as a franchise, but it'd need to be handled right and be marketed right. Kai wasn't so great, but it proved there's an audience.

I even think a real life action movie COULD work but, again, they need the right approach. The highschool comedy routine, ehhhhhhh it could've worked, but, really, it didn't need to pander like that. 2 hours of people blowing things up while fighting sells itself.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

NikkolasKing posted:

And that time Goku multiplied his PL by like, 20 or 50 or whatever and could only mildly annoy Freeza at 50%? That would make Freeza worth, what, a 100 Goku's?
Or that time Vegeta used all his power to attack Perfect Cell (both times actually...) and didn't really do anything?
Or my favorite, when Nappa attacked Tien and Tien defended himself...only to get his arm punched off.

Proving, once again, that power levels are meaningless.

People still don't get it, 10 years later: Toriyama made it clear IN THE FIGHT when power levels were introduced that they were a faulty and useless method of judging fighters. Raditz died because he relied on it. And so did everyone else who did.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
The best fight that never happened:

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Szmitten posted:

The time chamber is one of those things that, if it weren't a dumb fighty fight shonen manga, would be a really interesting thing to explore and the mindfuck it would have on the people who enter it. A year is a really long time to spend in a giant empty room by yourself or one other person. Like cabin fever or something.

Piccolo trapping Buu in there was actually a really clever idea .

So clever, in fact, that Toriyama realized he'd written himself into a corner and had to Voice Ex Machina a solution.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Parrotine posted:

I finally watched the first Dragonball Z Broly movie.

I thought it was hilarious how Vegeta spends 3/4 of the movie searching for the Legendary Super Saiyan, all hot-blooded ready to kill him upon first contact, then does a complete 180 and cowers in the corner when he finds him.

I mean, what did he expect was gonna happen when he found him? He went from full gun-ho confidence to the timid nature of a newly born fawn just like that. The change was so radical it was jarring.

The movies generally are just copies of the last 40 or so episodes of when they were made.

Honestly, they're pretty blatant cash-ins, especially as the writers clearly just copy characterizations and moments that Toriyama wrote without any of the buildup or necessary dramatic moments.

So Vegeta going from braggart to crying was a condensed version of of the entire Namek saga Vegeta in 70 minutes.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Mordaedil posted:

I still feel like the Buu saga was Toriyama's chance to break off with Goku and focus entirely on the kids and Gohan sort of being the protagonist, saving his little brother and Trunks from too much trouble and they could have dialed significantly cut down on the "threats to Earth" hijinks.

That's exactly what Toriyama was trying to do, introducing this new generation of kids as the main characters. At the end of Cell, Vegeta flat out said he wouldn't fight again, the humans admitted they were outclassed, Goku was dead, etc.

Toriyama then admitted he just couldn't make it work.

In another universe, Shonen Jump gave Toriyama a year off to recharge instead of making him keep going, and he was able to come up with a far better Buu saga.

Wish we lived in that universe.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

ElBrak posted:

I think its been established through the series that you could increase your muscle mass at will with Ki, you just sacrificed your speed. Like Piccolo has bulked up an arm moments before punching someone a few times in the series, and Master Roshi had that thing where he would bulk up before throwing a Kamehameha.

Which makes sense why Trunks didn't know that: he lived in a time where there were no other Jedis to train him other than Gohan.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Toriyama also said he had to invent the Potara since the Fusion movie already made Vegeta and Goku do the dance.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
The DB universe has great potential to expand even more, like Marvel or DC. They just don't do it that way in the Japanese industry.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Stairmaster posted:

Holy gently caress, I need to beat that game.

Game? I'd pay a lot of cash to see that adapted to film.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

crankdatbatman posted:

Again, I'm not sure if it showed up in the dub/kai (I was a big user of those horrible fan translations discussed earlier when I was younger), but I remember Vegeta saying he really didn't get anything out of his second year in the time chamber. Maybe it was more due to Goku humbling him by being much stronger than him after Goku's first year and not needing it a second time more than some kind of training plateau, but it definitely came up that he could not reach Goku and Gohan's level.

Here's something I just thought of the other day. In the early days of my DBZ-fandom and internet usage, I would go on a bunch of lovely fan websites for Dragon Ball Z. One of them was Greg Werner's website (which, holy poo poo, is still here http://www.thegrandline.com/dbzinfo/frames.html). The links are all broken as hell, but there was a section where he showed stuff that was censored/cut from the Ocean dub (before the presence of uncut episodes were a thing), which was interesting to a 12 year old me. All of his stuff came from fan-subs, and several panels also showed the characters using really foul language according to the subtitles. Did anyone ever watch any of these fan-subs? Were the translations that bad? I'm sure the original Japanese dialogue may have been a tad more mature than especially the Ocean Dub, but I seriously doubt Goku was saying the Japanese equivalent of "Go gently caress yourself" to Nappa or others.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
What did Piccolo say just before he blasted at Krillin?

Oh my Me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
In general, Frieza was far easier to parody. Frieza's haughty mannerisms, the Ginyu squad being a parody already, Vegeta's arrogance constantly getting the best of him, etc.

I am reminded of Buttlord GT, which ended specifically for that reason: it's way easier to mock Dragonball in the Frieza saga.

Cell saga is far more serious.

That's also why Toriyama shifted things back to comedy for Buu.

• Locked thread