Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yeah, I think Kai's better overall but there are bits of the original I prefer. And by "bits" I mean "Android 18" who's replacement VA just doesn't sound like she fits quite as well for some reason I can't explain. I'd say probably just because it's not what I'm used to, but I prefer basically every other recasting so it's probably not that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I've only played the demo for Battle of Z, but I've played the ever loving poo poo out of the demo. I still haven't Z-ranked anything in it, but at this point I'm convinced SS is the highest you can get in it anyway. That or the Z rank requirements are pretty absurd for the early Saiyan saga missions.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

or just gets so ridiculously powerful that he can beat 17/18/Cell without breaking a sweat.

Which is kinda weird if you think about it for a moment. He went back to his own time, beat 17 & 18 only to eventually get taken down by Cell absolutely effortlessly... and Cell at that point was weaker than the 17 and 18 from the past. Which is fair enough normally, but Trunks gets strong enough to be able to handle them before going back to his own time. :psyduck:

Okay, you could argue that it was probably a Cell from a different future where 17 and 18 were weaker than the ones Future Trunks had to deal with but then it just gets even more convoluted and confusing.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Most of mine have already been mentioned, but I'm gonna also throw in Goten vs Trunks from the very start of the Buu saga. It's just oddly fun to watch, and the way even the crowd got into it made it feel a lot better than it would've done otherwise if they decrying it mostly as "trickery" and "smoke and mirrors" the entire time.

Really, Tenkaichi Budokai fights always rock because they don't have major stakes but you still have people giving it their all in amazing ways.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Prison Warden posted:

It actually annoys me they still call him just Tien and never say Tien Shinhan like in the manga, though. You'd think the name I grew up with would stick with me.

The way I rationalised stuff like this was Tien was his first name, but Shinhan was his surname. I know it doesn't really work (for one thing, it's probably the other way around but also I think it's one word anyway), but at least that way it makes more sense to me. And, besides, that way it doesn't stand out as weird that people don't do things like call Gohan "Son Gohan" everytime his name comes up and the like.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

aers posted:

Toriko is ending in March, leaving us with...

Oh man, I cannot wait. Buu saga was great, even with some stuff being needlessly drawn out. Kai version's going to be amazing.

Also remastered Saiyaman antics :allears:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

bowmore posted:

Great Sayiaman was embarrassing to watch.

Great Saiyaman's only bad part was that it wasn't long enough.

Also there wasn't a mini post-Buu arc with Great Saiyawoman. Hirudegarn movie doesn't count.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

Are there any DBZ games you would recommend?

Battle of Z and/or Attack of the Saiyans depending on what you're into. Battle of Z if you like superfast action games, Attack of the Saiyans if you like late Dragon Ball filler RPGs.

Maybe one day we'll finally get that Namek sequel the ending to Attack of the Saiyans teased. :sigh:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

The Bansho Fan stuff at the end of Dragon Ball was all filler.

e;f,b.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

The one thing I can't wait to see is Krillin beaming Goku with a rock. If only to see what justification they give Krillin for even trying that.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

dr.acula posted:

Woah woah woah. Tenshinhan is a human.

Tien got wrote out of the role of strongest human by being retconned to be like 1% alien or some poo poo. Purely so Krillin could have something.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

e X posted:

That they don't actually finish the the 25th tournament is one of the biggest missteps of the series. Come on Toriyama, you could have given us one last Tournament before the series ended, for old times sake.

The worst part about it was all the hype and build up it got, then it started for real... and was dropped basically immediately. :sigh:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Darko posted:

It's really funny that Gohan blew up Freeza so hard that the much more powerful Bojack ran off.

To be fair, if I were Bojack and I saw that Gohan had gotten even stronger I'd loving leg it too. Dude knows what's up when it comes to that.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

ManOfTheYear posted:

If, for example, Dr. Gero would first have gotten his hands on the remains or Frieza and King Cold (is that his name?) and put their genes on his creations

He, uh, he did though? Like that's straight up mentioned when Cell comes around because he is part Frieza.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

StrifeHira posted:

WELP.

Dragon Ball Heroes gives a new teaser for Super Saiyan 4 Broly.

I know it's probably just the lighting and way he's posed and stuff, but SSJ4 Broly looks an awful lot like a Vampire.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I just double-checked, and yes. He did. :drat:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Shindragon posted:

edit: Hell he actually LANDED IT once and it didn't do poo poo.

If you mean it just bouncing off Cell's neck ineffectually, that was just anime filler. Shame too, because even though it is straight up the best attack ever (and never gets used because of it) that would be great if it was just because Krillin is essentially dogshit terrible.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

He's also the King of Earth, so he can be classified as whatever the hell he feels like. :v:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Plus it continues the fine Dragonball tradition of having great OPs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up7D3OwyV08

I'm sorry you linked the wrong video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H9di7tCLVg

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I can only think of two; the one from the "main" timeline that Krillin killed and the one from Trunks' time that jumped him and stole the time machine after he returns and kills 17 and 18. What's the third?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

facebook jihad posted:

What the gently caress have you guys been talking about

Fanfiction

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Only a handful of haircuts and faces? How is that not the true Dragonball experience?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

have you considered that tien just might be better than everyone else

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Endorph posted:

on the other hand all 9 of the main cast members in one piece gets scenes and development and at least a couple of fight scenes

what the gently caress did chad ever do

Job to everybody ever.

Even loving Renji at least got to win like one fight.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Well, yeah, that's what I said.

That's not a thing that started at Impel Down at all, though. You can see it very transparently beginning to head in that direction from Enies Lobby onwards, what with it's 5-10 minute recaps of the previous episode starting at that point.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Goku was already dead in Future Trunks' timeline. Non-specific heart disease and all.

Although why they never revived him or considered it is a question worth asking, I guess. Like pretty sure Piccolo and Kami weren't fused or dead or anything at that point. After 17 and 18 went on a killing spree, sure. Or maybe I'm just forgetting something but from what I remember that whole "oh yeah we have these magic titular things that grant wishes!" was never addressed there.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 6, 2015

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

New Leaf posted:

Why is he always referred to as "Teen Gohan"?

Well, Frieza Saga is Kid Gohan and high school student is Adult Gohan, so...

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

One of the better parts of Garlic Jr is that it leads to Krillin naming his daughter after an ex-girlfriend. :v:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Xibanya posted:

Kai sucks because of the dubbing

Well, have you seen the credits?

:v:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Endorph posted:

yamcha, after gohan kills cell: I did it!

Well, it is Yamcha. He was probably just happy to have made it through a fight without dying for once.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Only ones stronger were the Ginyu Force, and I think they worked directly for King Cold rather than Frieza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

Dragonball Abridged would basically just be Dragon Ball, but shorter.

That... that is what "abridged" means, yes.

• Locked thread