Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Oh man I had no idea they were doing more stuff with Bardock. I can't wait to see how horribly stupid and retcon-y they can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Yeah whenever I caught kai on tv I always wound up quitting after like 10 minutes because I just spent the whole time going "Thats not Gohan/Bulma/Freeza/Cell/Hercule!"

I can understand mistaking Cell because while it's the same guy, he does sound a bit different, but how the gently caress do you hear someone different for Mr. Satan? Chris Rager has one of the most distinctive voices in the industry.

Also if you don't appreciate Chris Ayres' fantastic performance as Frieza then you can go to straight to hfil

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I certainly wouldn't call the original dub BAD by any means, but I do think Kai is better.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

Yeah, I think Kai's better overall but there are bits of the original I prefer. And by "bits" I mean "Android 18" who's replacement VA just doesn't sound like she fits quite as well for some reason I can't explain. I'd say probably just because it's not what I'm used to, but I prefer basically every other recasting so it's probably not that.

I prefer her Kai voice simply because she actually sounds like a teenager, which is what she's supposed to be.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Mister Roboto posted:

Krillin took out a few people in the Buu Tournament. And if you count movies, there's villain sidekicks that get taken out a lot.

Otherwise, nope, humans were useless pretty much after SSJ was invented.

Krillin didn't even do anything before that, Vegeta killed everyone from Nappa to Jeice, leaving the Ginyu alive and losing to Frieza, and Goku did the heavy lifting against Recoome and Burter.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

18 stayed about the same which meant she was stronger than everyone but Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, and Gotenks. And Buu obviously.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

I've never ever seen 17 and 18 as teens. They neither act nor look the part.

They were amoral runaways who were kidnapped, turned into cyborgs, and given superpowers greater than galactic tyrants and legendary warriors which their future selves proceeded use to kill a bunch of people, blow stuff up, and generally terrorize the populace for the next 20 or so years.

Sounds like teens to me.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Mister Roboto posted:

The only two movies that totally fit are Bojack and Wrath of the Dragon. Maybe the first Cooler as well.

Cooler happens after Goku gets back to Earth but Goku somehow didn't know how to activate Super Saiyan at will yet, which he states he had already done by the time he left Yardrat to go home. Also Gohan has a tail for some reason.

Bojack fits, Wrath of the Dragon fits (although Goku is somehow stronger than Gohan post-Kai powerup in this one which is total bullshit), and you can make an argument for the first two Broly movies because of the 10 day wait for the Cell Games and the couple of weeks Gohan takes off from school to train for the tournament, but that's kind of a stretch.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

WickedHate posted:

Gohan is probably stronger, but Goku will always be more skilled because training and fighting is his life.

They were fighting a kaiju, I don't think skill had much to do with it.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

WickedHate posted:

According to Dragon Ball Heroes, Future Trunks can totally go Super Saiyan 3. I know, I know, but come on, that game is awesome.

I feel like as the lone protector of the planet and the fact that Bulma likely told him about the various alien threats she was witness to, Trunks would probably keep up his training to make sure he was ready for anything. Eventually ascending doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

For me it's a toss-up between Goku vs Jackie Chun, Goku vs Vegeta (the first time), and Piccolo vs 17.

Comedy option is Pikkon vs the Barrier from Fusion Reborn.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Prison Warden posted:

But in Kai they never say the full name even when it would be appropriate.

Actually, they do it exactly one time.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

The only reason his confidence shatters before getting his rear end beaten in that movie is because he's such a nerd about Saiyan history and whatnot that once Broly snapped he realized just what he had gotten himself into. Against the Androids, he had no idea how strong they were since nobody could sense their energy, but I'm willing to bet once Cell got going Vegeta realized he wasn't going to win. Against Frieza, that was more just a case of sheer overestimation of his own power.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

crankdatbatman posted:

It's hard to tell the difference between the two

For Goku and Gohan it's basically "deeper scowl, hair is much more upright, lighting bolts in aura" although in Vegeta's case the only difference is the lightning bolts.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I've been enjoying TFS' Android Saga just about as much as I did the latter half of the Frieza Saga. They're really good at taking little things about the characters from the source material and making a believable yet much funnier interpretation of them. Most of the characters in DBZ are, quite frankly, incredibly shallow a lot of the time, even if they do get depth to them later on like Vegeta and Gohan eventually did. DBZ Abridged doesn't give every single bit part a complex personality but it sure as hell does it with a lot of them.

None of the stuff 17 and 18 are saying sounds "out of character," but obviously they'd never actually say a lot of it in the real version. I really like their interpretation of them as irresponsible teens with superpowers just out to have a good time. Which, now that I type it out, isn't exactly super far from the canonical versions, but it doesn't come across nearly as well in DBZ proper, I feel like.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Blue Star posted:

Something about seeing normal-looking humans with normal-looking (for DBZ) street clothes flying around beating up Super Saiyans just seems wrong.

I'm like 90% sure that was the point.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

There's also the fact that Goku and Vegeta pretty much live for fighting so he wasn't exactly reluctant.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Which is why I hate the fact he's had such a negative influence on shounen. So many Goku clones like Naruto or Luffy or Natsu, when we really should be getting more Kenshin's or, hell, even Yusuke's.

There is the occasional twist on the Goku archetype, like Gon from Hunter x Hunter. Pretty similar at first but different in a few key areas and develops in a much MUCH different way.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Momomo posted:

Not really, there have been guys like Lucci and stuff that Luffy has had trouble with, but for the most part it seemed like as long as Luffy could get his hands on the guy, he was in complete control of like every fight.

I'd say that's true of just about everybody except Crocodile. He got soundly defeated twice before finally managing to take Croc down.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna be honest, it just reminds me of the last six years worth of DBZ and Naruto games, which I only played one or two of but were pretty not fun, but I might have to give it a shot just because it's as close to another Jump Super/Ultimate Stars as we'll get.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Dead Zone, Bojack Unbound, Fusion Reborn, and Battle of Gods are all great. World's Strongest, Tree of Might, and Wrath of the Dragon are all terrible. The first Broly is maybe the single dumbest thing to ever come from DBZ but I'm personally okay with that. The second one I have a soft spot for because Gohan gets a cool fight in the back half with him and adult Gohan's my favorite character. Lord Slug, Cooler's Revenge, and Super Android 13 are all kinda whatever. A lot of people here like Return of Cooler but I never did. History of Trunks, while technically not a movie, is fantastic. The Bardock stuff is almost on par with Broly for being supremely stupid.

We don't talk about The Eleventh Movie.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

crankdatbatman posted:

One of my favorite things in DBZ Abridged is after Zarbon piledrives Vegeta into the ground at the end of their first fight. Vegeta gets out of the lake and chokes out "WHY DID I EXPLODE?". The little jokes like that are hilarious to me.

I've never seen Cooler's Revenge, but his fifth form kind of irks me. It's established that Freeza's fourth form is his 'true' form, right? Unlike the rest of the villains in DBZ, it's established Freeza's transformations are power downs instead of power ups. So why does Cooler have a fifth form that is more powerful than his fourth? Is he basically a super Cooler in the fifth form? I'm asking because I've never seen it and maybe they explain it in the movie, but that tidbit never really sat well with me since it's a direct contradiction to Freeza's tranformations.

I couldn't say if the Japanese version clarifies it better but right before he transforms in the English dub, he says Frieza "always had the edge" as in he was naturally stronger than Cooler, but Cooler "found" a fifth form.

Dragonball Multiverse, which takes some liberties with movie and anime-only stuff, says that Cooler actually gave a poo poo and trained. This allows him to maintain his original form all the time, whereas Frieza and Cold had to power down because they couldn't control their own power, because they're not really fighters, they're just naturally absurdly powerful. As a result, Cooler discovered an ascended form. I like to think that's pretty close to the truth, because it actually makes some semblance of sense out of the plot of a DBZ movie.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Mister Roboto posted:

Well, there's also the possibility that Goku got way stronger than he was when he fought Freeza. It was a year or two after that, and Goku manages to train even when he's lost in space.

There's also the fact that despite the rear end-beating he was delivering to Frieza, he seemed pretty hosed up when he got to Yardrat so he probably got a zenkai out of the ordeal.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

PiedPiper posted:

It really irks me that beside Vegeta's little exploit of that trait on Namek, no one really tried to do this whole almost-die-to-gain-more-power thing. When they first heard Future Trunks' story, the most sensible thing to do was for Vegeta and Goku just bash each other in the head and then eat senzu beans till they can no longer fit through the doors.

It COULD be explained by saiyans' arrogance and thirst for challenge but at least someone could've proposed that idea.

See there are a couple of problems with that theory. Vegeta was doing this on Namek because he was still a ruthless, cold-blooded killer with ambitions for immortality and absolute power. The Ginyus and Frieza were stronger than him and he wasn't trying to prove anything so he had no shame in making full use of zenkais to scrape by and deal with the assholes standing between him and immortality. Once Goku becomes a Super Saiyan, his motivations change to just surpassing Goku, and since Goku got to that level mostly on his own merits, it's possible Vegeta decided to try and do the same. It's also possible zenkais give diminishing returns and once you get to Super Saiyan level the boost isn't significant enough to be worth nearly dying over and over.

Goku's too much of a good sport to resort to that kind of tactic and Vegeta's too proud after Namek. The half-saiyans just don't care enough.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Kid Buu is way weaker than Super Buu though.

I think Kid Buu is about on par with original Super Buu but weaker than the versions that absorbed Gotenks and Gohan.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

bowmore posted:

Great Sayiaman was embarrassing to watch.

That's the best part though. Gohan actually has a unique personality in the Buu saga, I loved watching him be a humongous dweeb.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Mister Roboto posted:

I'd like to ask Toriyama exactly who pressured him into giving up on writing Gohan.

Watch it be like 3 angry 13 year old Japanese fanboy letters in Shonen Jump's "feedback" section and Toriyama thinks this represents everyone and change his style in shame.

Before the internet, letters columns were how people told everyone what was the Worst Ever.

Isn't that pretty much how Jump still operates?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

As goofy as the Buu saga is, a lot of what happens is incredibly dark and unsettling if you take a moment to think about it.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Wait. What even happened to those two? The last I remember seeing them was Tien using Tri-Beam to deflect one of Buutenks' attacks away from Gohan. Did Buu eat them or knock them out or...?

Buu's legs kicked Tien and knocked him out, and we never saw him again after that, so presumably he and Chiaotzu (who wasn't anywhere nearby but didn't get killed by the Human Extinction Attack) died when Kid Buu blew up the Earth.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Also, when you get to the Garlic Jr. Saga make sure to make a big deal about it as if it was a big special event. Tell everyone you know. Let them know the Garlic Jr. Saga has officially started.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Honestly I kinda like the current Namek special; it's an interesting "what-if" that isn't just "What if this super crazy thing happened?" It's taking out one domino from way back and exploring the way it could change things.

Yeah the most interesting universes in DBM are ones like that, or Universe 13 where Kakarot never hit his head, which sets off a series of changes rather than "Cell won, the end"

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

I thought 17 and 18 had equal power levels, being twins and all that.

17 claims he's the strongest android (although that is later handily disproven by 16) but it's hard to say whether that's just him being an egotistical dick or if he's actually stronger than 18.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

So you're saying Roshi was only twice as powerful as an average human, but could destroy the moon? Roshi destroying the Moon was so wildly beyond what characters who were clearly far beyond him in raw power could do that it doesn't make much sense in the first place, though. Even then, the whole "all this happened in .2 seconds" thing during his fight with Krillin suggests he's far too fast to be considered only twice as powerful as an average human.

Pretty sure 139 is more than 5x2.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

Are there any DBZ games you would recommend?

Legendary Super Warriors.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Crosspeice posted:

DBZ Abridged is based on an actual show???

:aaaaa:

It's based on an animated version of a Superman fan-comic some guy in Japan made where he has a tail and crazy hair and isn't as strong.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I do appreciate that TFS has been getting more subtle with their humour, but I also think it might be going over more peoples heads and thus they'll start losing people who don't find them funny anymore, or find it harder to get new veiwers since the most recent show is only kinda funny instead of "Oh God That's Great I Need To Watch More!" funny. I guess that's what the Let's Play stuff is for, though.

Honestly, ever since the Ginyu force showed up I'd say they've been making the show more and more focused toward hardcore fans of DBZ than just the dudes surfing the internet for funny videos who watched some DBZ once on Toonami. The characters are just funnier versions of their original selves for the most part. A lot of the jokes are based on small stuff from the original, and there's not really any memebait characters like Nappa or the fake Namekians anymore.

Well. Except for Popo.

But yeah I really like the Androids. They're obviously not quite on the level of abridged Frieza but like some people have said, that's what Cell's there for. The androids being flippant teens in a series full of angry musclemen and aliens was a pretty odd dichotomy in DBZ but it's played in a pretty enjoyable way here.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Coughing Hobo posted:

The episode single-handedly bought the entire concept of filler like thirty years of (grudging) acceptance.

Which got renewed another 10 years with the G8 Arc in One Piece.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

The Saiyan saga is alright but they didn't quite find their legs until the time Nappa and Vegeta show up.

I've found the Saiyan Saga to be kind of unbearable. The jokes are either just flat and unfunny or it's memebait catchphrase poo poo. Nappa was the worst, as evidenced by their self-aware joke in DBZ Kai Abridged where he says "I am hilarious and you will quote everything I say," because as bad as youtube comments are normally they're somehow made even worse when a video features a character like Nappa.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I fuckin' love King Kai, and the VA they got for him works perfectly.

Same guy who voices Goku, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

VanSandman posted:

In Bojack Unbound's Funimation dub, they call him Satan instead of Hercule.

The crowd chants his name.

I'm pretty sure Hercule is exclusively used for TV at this point and all their DVD/BD releases call him Mr. Satan. I'm not sure about the video games since I haven't played any since the original Tenkaichi.

• Locked thread