Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Wait, people were actually surprised Ichigo was a hollow? Didn't they blatantly do a whole training arc on controlling his hollow self or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

None of teens looked like teens. Remember Gohan's high school? His "main rival" there was super beefed up and looked like he could've been Tien's fighting partner.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Except Chi-Chi was the same age as Goku.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Babidi and Buu wouldn't matter in Trunks's timeline because the only reason why Buu revived was because Supreme Kai is a stupid idiot and let Gohan be absorbed and later lead the 3 most powerful fighters to fight and fuel his rebirth.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Dragonball the movie could've worked if they didn't get the Dragon ball parts completely wrong. Like, at what point do you go to the idea that the Kamehameha is a revival technique?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The best fight has to be Goku vs. Krillin.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Was Vegito considered stronger than Gogeta?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I think Kid Buu is stronger just because he has absolute no limits and is infinitely more aggressive.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Ad revenue? Abridging was done way before that was even a thing to exploit, like years before Pewdepie. It's really old in internet standard.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I mean, he's friends with God who has access to a dragon that revives people and that's been happening since he was a kid. His perspective's a lot different, to be fair.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The issue might be less with those 3 and more that the other dozen VA's probably make it hard to continue. Think about how many more VA's they have to get for Buu Saga and then tell them to keep in contact for the next 2-3 years.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Didn't the Kamehamaeha revive someone?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

What was considered the strongest warrior at the time, Gohan at SSJ2 (before Goku was secretly hiding he was once again the strongest), drained fully on purpose was still not enough to power Majin Buu. It needed energy again from the fighting Gohan/Vegeta/Goku did in Buu's energy abortion thing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Torix posted:

Dabura is a super cool villain and deserved more than the two episode's worth of attention he got. He had a ton of cool powers and a respectable amount of strength, but unfortunately he got sidelined due to Buu being the ultimate goal and the insane power gain of the main characters. I feel as though he should have had an arc of his own earlier in the show.

Unfortunately his battle rival was Gohan, and we all know how the Buu arc handled Gohan in general.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Buu Saga would've been good if it ended the way it teased for the entire series which is Gohan takes over and beats the big bad when everyone's dead instead of "lol nope Goku saves the day again."

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

SSJ3 Gotenks would've beaten Buu if it weren't for the worst drawback of playing around because of super arrogance. Otherwise the only useful application was getting enough of a power boost to open dimensional holes by yelling a lot.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Gotenks does a LOT of messing around, I think at his first successful transformation he flew around the world multiple times before fighting Buu.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I don't remember the turtle giving him beef.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

VJeff posted:

Yeah, Togashi and the Berserk guy are both almost 50 so I would assume this is why they take their sweet time.

The Berserk Guy has been delayed in writing because he got really into Idolmaster.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

RickoniX posted:

Heero Yuy?

Happy, optimistic, makes friends with everyone, naive at times. Yep, that's Heero alright.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Freeza's gonna get revived, Goku beats him up in like 2 seconds with his pinky, and Bills get so mad for being called out as a liar that he powers up Freeza so he's telling the truth again.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

setafd posted:

I thought they did, and that's how they had a kid?

He removed the bomb inside her, also she's organic with cyborg parts to enhance her. She's not an android.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Takahata did G-Gundam.

Lani was a workhorse before DBZA took everything over. I think he put out a movie out as well.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Covok posted:

Lani also had his own series before this, Yu Yu Hakasho abridged. He did both of the movies for that show.

I remember Poltergeist report, what's the other one?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Kild posted:

The same way they got rid of Guldo?

The only reason why Guldo lost is because he was lazy and/or had Asthma, because his time stop powers required stamina.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

dr.acula posted:

wasnt that just so people wouldnt recognize him at school?

Yes, because blond hair is basically the clark kent glasses.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

One of the few episodes I saw was Gintama not being able to get up from bed because the announcer doesn't feel like starting the episode, and talked back at Gintama for being so ungrateful.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

The problem - and it's not his fault - was that they were played constantly. There was never a silent moment in the old Funimation dub.

There was and still is never silence in any american cartoon show aimed at young kids. This wasn't just a DBZ toonami thing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The number of times Kaiser said "edit" or "redrew" is absurd.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Covok posted:

This brings up a question: if Hercule were in Dragonball, instead of Dragonball Z, would he be a bigger deal, silly and cowardly personality aside? Would he be able to fight against the main cast legitimately or would he turn out like King Chappa and be taken out in the preliminaries?

ImpAtom posted:

He's just less absurdly strong than anyone who can manipulate their magic fighting energy.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I think the Radditz fight in DBZA is pretty bad but it picks up from there pretty quick. I don't think there's a huge gap between the Saiyans and the Freeza arc.

The constant meta jokes around making Nappa the star was incredibly grating. Killing him off was what really started the quality because their joke crutch was gone and Vegeta became his own guy instead of a straight man.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

There's some jokes that just don't land (Zarbon is pretty funny when he's accidentally spouting innuendo but there's still an uncomfortable 'lol homos' aura around him, a lot of the Nappa stuff, Dodoria) but there's nothing that's so bad as to ruin the stuff that does land.

Zarbon is a meta joke because Kaiser is gay.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

TFS related, littlekuriboh being a huge WWE supernerd is completely out of left field.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Well Manicured Man posted:

Why would Goku and Superman fight each other though?

To take dibs on who fights Green Arrow

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Taka is an actual VA, he was probably the easiest to contact and sign for voicework. The only other Actual VA on the team is Antfish, IIRC.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The VA talent has been filtering through fandubs for a long time. Cristina Vee started doing auditions for someone's basement fandub audition years ago.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Exercu posted:

Everyone wears weighted clothing all the time, starting from Goku and Krillin putting on a turtle shell at Roshi's. Then everyone forgets about the secret art of wearing heavy poo poo until kami tells goku to wear heavy poo poo for the 23rd tenkaichi.

Weighted clothes was used in the heavens filler tournament (after Cell saga, before Great Saiyaman). They even made a joke about it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

how could you forget static shock

Static Shock is basically part of the Tim-verse, since he's hung out at the Justice Tower and, according to Batman Beyond, the most powerful metahuman.

Or is that the point.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I think Teen Titans is part of the Tim Verse, they make references but couldn't make direct ones because of legal bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Zonekeeper posted:

Had he shown up in Dragonball, he probably would have handily beaten everyone short of Goku and Jackie Chun in the series' first Budokai, possibly beating Krillin. Beyond that the series starts escalating to the point that he could never hope to compete without picking up ki manipulation.

Not even Krillin, considering he could keep up with Roshi/Chun's super speed even in the 1st tournament arc.

• Locked thread