Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I'm almost eager to see what other craziness they can add to Bardock's life. Is he going to become the Forrest Gump of the DBZ universe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Faulconer's score was amazing, I literally can not imagine Cell or Super Buu without thinking of their kickass themes. I really hope the Abridged series uses them.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Nothing he did in the main timeline would affect his future, but he could bring stuff back to it. His goal was to find something that would help stop the androids, and he either gets the plans for the Android's shutdown switch or just gets so ridiculously powerful that he can beat 17/18/Cell without breaking a sweat.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Oh man, is the SS3 transformation not going to be an entire episode anymore? :(

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Man, SS3 Vegito/Vegetto/Vegerot could probably blow up the universe by sneezing. He might even be able to figure out his name!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

If they ever do GT, I'm very hopeful that'll come back.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm pretty sure Chi-Chi going out of focus isn't Toriyama enforcing the glass ceiling unless the glass ceiling covers everyone who is not a Saiyan now.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Kid Buu is way weaker than Super Buu though.

The only change I'd want is Gohan being the Great Saiyaman the entire time.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

WhiffleballDude posted:

I think Kid Buu is about on par with original Super Buu but weaker than the versions that absorbed Gotenks and Gohan.

He isn't even close. Kid Buu is Buu before he absorbed anyone at all. Super Buu is Buu after absorbing hundreds of things over time. This is kind of basic math.

The danger with Kid Buu was that it was mindless, world-destroyingly powerful chaos.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Look if any of those guys had saved the day we wouldn't have gotten the awesome Hercule Saves The Day ending. And that just wouldn't be acceptable.

And not to mention would have made the bonding between Buu and Hercule ultimately pointless, which would have been lovely writing.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

Man, I just rewatched part of the Vegito/Buuhan fight - specifically the part where Buu tries to kill Vegito by turning into goo, flying down his throat, and making vegito swell up until Vegito chases him out by punching the big lumps of BuuGuu moving around underneath his skin.

Dragon Ball is loving weird, you guys.

That part, like a good deal of the fights scenes in the anime IIRC, was anime-only.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I thought it was hilarious. Tien's just wandering the world doing his own thing, maybe hearing some weird news about a crazy pink monster rampaging around, and then one day a giant beam almost kills him. His reaction? Go look for Goku because it's probably got something to do with him.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Before either was Oolong I think.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Yajirobe wisely decided to just stay away from all the bullshit and settle down with Korin. He is secretly the only DBZ character to have never died, or been in a state of "technically dead".

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Darko posted:

Mr. Satan never died. Buu healed his gunshot would, but that's it - he still wasn't dead.

He got teleported to the afterlife, close enough. :colbert:

Though now that I think about Yajirobe probably died when the earth blew up, huh.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Every single night Vegeta beats up time itself.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Don't forget to find some kids to practice screaming KAMEEEEEHAAAAAAMEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAA with.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Goku and the rest of the Z-Fighters are unique in that they don't run around at full power all the time. You have to figure out how to draw out more power, and in Goku's case you need to understand the Kaioken too. Krillin straight up says this while he and Gohan fight with Ginyu.

And when Ginyu started getting the hang of things Vegeta showed up, so yeah.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

crankdatbatman posted:

But as my last post said, the Freeza thing just makes no loving sense.

I am amazed that there are still people who don't understand that the entire point of power levels was that it's impossible to actually quantify a person's abilities and that anyone who thinks they can just gets smugly crushed.

Like this is not hard to get.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Did you miss how both Raditz and Vegeta lost to people who were "weaker" than them? Both times the heroes pulled through with their heads, or in Gohan's case his weight I guess.

Because it turns out power levels don't mean jack and your brain is more important than your muscles!

EDIT: Hell, DBZ actually handled power levels waaaaay better than any of its successors. The numbers got stupid high and didn't actually mean anything in a real battle (which was again the point), but Toriyama always made it clear that how strong a person was had absolutely nothing to do with how effective their attacks would be. Piccolo was "weaker" than Raditz and Goku but Special Beam Cannon could still drill a hole through the both of them. Krillin is miles beneath Nappa and Freeza but the Destructo Disc and the Solar Flare still worked fine. Vegeta and Goku are explicitly weaker than Perfect Cell but Final Flash and Kamehameha still tore a hole right through him. And so on. It's not like in Bleach or Naruto where if you are X weaker than Y opponent all of your attacks do nothing. Even if you're "weaker", if you're better at fighting or have an ace up your sleeve you win. Which is how it should work!

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 24, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

crankdatbatman posted:

Piccolo didn't use the special beam cannon on Freeza, he fought him with brute force.

Piccolo is a Namekian, and they're explicitly supposed to be really great at ki manipulation. It's not weird at all that he'd be able to match someone who's pure power, no skill like Freeza.

Not that it really matters anyways because Piccolo vs Freeza was a quick exchange where both sides were holding back.

quote:

Same with Goku. Hell, his trick--the spirit bomb--didn't work on Freeza because his power level was too high.

Freeza explicitly says the spirit bomb could have killed him. It's actually completely unexplained how he survived, he just kind of did. Even he's surprised he lived.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Vegeta's Final Flash blew off huge chunks of Cell too, but it's undeniable that Perfect Cell was stronger than him. Same thing goes for Goku vs Cell, Goku could never win in a straight up fight so he had to go for tactics. And even then Goku wasn't strong enough to vaporize Cell's entire body at once.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The manga is undeniably better (even without the driving lessons), but more people have watched the anime so it's the only form of DB most people think of.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

DBZ didn't make all new arcs as much as it stretched actual content out past the breaking point, which made everything feel ridiculously slow and tedious.

See: the episode where Piccolo confronts Cell. What was six quick pages in the manga got turned into a full episode.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The Androids are pretty amazing comic relief to me. Not main villains or anything, but that's Cell's job.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Esroc posted:

Saiyans don't give two shits about their kids.

Where did this come from? Because Vegeta is pretty obvious evidence to the contrary.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Android 18 didn't kill anyone in the regular timeline. The one who did was obliterated by Future Trunks.

EDIT: Vegeta also didn't really become a good guy until what, the latter half of the Buu arc? Dude was sort of just the guy everyone fought along with but didn't really like all that much.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 8, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

They all lived on Earth for a bit so they're retroactively Earthlings. :colbert:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm pretty sure a SS3 Broly would be easy absorption fodder for Buu. Dude is dumber than a sack of bricks.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Man you got to do something while working out, and Bulma probably didn't approve of destroying the landscape in explosive hissy fits.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

There's a time limit on resurrections I thought.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

He said DBZA.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Esroc posted:

-Cell's first appearance expanded

Are we talking about Piccolo and Cell's staring contest here, because that is not exactly what I would call quality.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Vegeta desperately rationalizing his loss was pretty great.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Testekill posted:

I also could have sworn that Piccolo fused with Kami after his run in with Cell. That's how I remembered it at least.

That was entirely filler so they just cut it out.

EDIT: V Wait are we talking about Piccolo's encounter or Kami?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I just want to see how they handle the second form.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged started off fine, but it got full of itself right after Marik motorcycled in and never really got its head out of its rear end.

Last episode I remember watching was one where Kaiba goes off on a rant to most of the supporting cast in a scene that was probably supposed to be funny but ended up being really really awkward.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Cell had amazing themes. It's kind of a shame that the very nature of an Abridged series makes it really hard to use slower paced songs, because this was just the best.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Yes Gohan should be mad at his mom for being a constant (if overbearing) presence in his life when his main stated issue with his dad is how he is never around.

Oh wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Man you are either projecting really hard or actually think there's something weird (or for that matter, Japanese) about a mom wanting her kid to have a good education.

Not sure which is sillier.

• Locked thread