Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Pretty sure that Kai doesn't have the driving lesson episode and that's a loving crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
So I recently realised after some discussion here that I've never really watched the Kai dub and it's been a while since I last watched DBZ stuff that wasn't abridged.

The thing that has really jumped out to me is how power levels as a concrete thing is something that the fandom and the whole surrounding Dragonball franchise really ran with despite it not really being in the story much at all. It's basically used either as shorthand way of saying "oh hey this guy is a badass" or, more often, showcaase that Freeza's goons are super confident in their rigid hierarchy of power and then the heroes blow that all to poo poo.

I've got a totally different view of Dodoria now too. I used to think he was with Freeza all the time, he must be WAY stronger than Vegeta back when he came to earth! But no, when Vegeta kills Cui (his equal in power before), as soon as Dodoria is alone with him and is terrified of Vegeta, so those three were probably all approximate equals before the whole Dragonball dealio. I wonder what gave me that first impression anyway?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Shindragon posted:

Being fat is fine, Yajirobe managed to at least turn the tables against Vegeta. :colbert:

(Yeah I know he cut off the tail but still that was pretty hilarious)

Easy to forget that when Yajirobe showed up he was as powerful as Goku.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Well Manicured Man posted:

Mr. Satan defeated Buu*

*With the power of friendship :colbert:

Don't forget he beat Cell too.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

WhiffleballDude posted:

Krillin didn't even do anything before that, Vegeta killed everyone from Nappa to Jeice, leaving the Ginyu alive and losing to Frieza, and Goku did the heavy lifting against Recoome and Burter.

Krillin managed to solar flare Dodoria to help he and Gohan escape, and almost killed Vegeta to help him power up, he also killed a bunch of saibamen, Tien killed one or two also I think. Other than that... Yajirobe killed one of King Piccolo's minions, and cut off Vegeta's tail. Aside from that Tien put up a good fight in the World martial Arts tournament, I guess. It's really been downhill for humans since then.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
"So I thought fast and I used the Solar Flare on him."

"And then used your kienzan to cut him in half?"

"Umm..."

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

NikkolasKing posted:

I was very confused about DB Goku's age for a very long time.

To be fair, so was he.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

MooselanderII posted:

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted, but a recent interview with Akira Toriyama has been posted that reveals details about Goku's mother as well as his hopes for the next movie, if it's made. http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/episode-bardock-akira-toriyama-super-qa/

quote:

Since Saiyans are supposed to have no affection for family or friends, does this actually make Vegeta, who holds his family and wife dear, an even stranger (kinder) Saiyan than Goku?

Vegeta, whose pride had been deeply wounded, sought help from Bulma, and little by little, his ruthless personality changed. Nowadays, you certainly might be able to say that. On the other hand, Goku might not have a sense of family members like Gohan and Chi-Chi except as one of his companions.

So Vegeta IS actually the Dad of the Year, and Goku being a horrible husband and father is just a genetic :v:

quote:

About how many of Freeza’s race are there? Are they quite thriving, with a big population?
Freeza is what you might call a mutated life-form. Strictly speaking, Freeza’s father is a mutant with an abnormally high battle power. And, born from his father alone4, still in strong possession of the mutant traits, was Freeza.

Accordingly, even saying “Freeza’s race”, these two are the only ones who possess an abnormal [level of] battle power and cruelty.

I've thought this for a while, but I think Vegeta, Raditz etc aren't just talking poo poo when they say the saiyans are the strongest warrior race. The Ginyus, Freeza etc all seem to be insane mutant outliers (Ginyu says as much about his men). Saiyans, and to a lesser extent namekians, are the only species as a whole who seem to have widespread higher ki power. Easy to see why Freeza feared them.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 5, 2014

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

NikkolasKing posted:

Piccolo died so there went Kami too. As to why he didn't get a ship to the new Planet Namek and use their balls...because reasons.

I don't know if it applied to Planet Namek's balls (probably not thinking on the different time measurements.) but if I recall correctly, you need to wish someone back to life with the Dragonballs within a year of their death or it doesn't work. New namek was presumably too far away (or they didn't know where it was, I guess).

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Stairmaster posted:

He seems to have a lot of agency in the film, so no.

So yeah, Cat Galactus.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I played the Battle of Z demo a week or so ago, and I thought it was pretty good, so I contemplated buying it, so I looked it up on XBox Live. £45? Hahahahahahaha.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

jivjov posted:

I'm phone posting so I can't run a currency conversion right now, but that sounds about right for a new release on the 360. Are new games normally cheaper in £?

£45 is about $74 US. It's on the upper end for new titles. For reference, most places were charging less than £40 for Skyrim on release.

But yeah, what soulcleaver said, I don't see how they can expect anyone to pay that. The game is already going for £10 less on amazon.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Rewatching Kai there are a few things from Z I find myself missing. The driving lessons filler, yeah, but other than that it's mostly little turns of phrase in the translation that stuck with me as a kid. Like, Vegeta saying Goku is "making sport of Nappa", little things like that. I know it's pretty much entirely nostalgia, though. There are a couple of great lines though. Freeza being increduclous when Vegeta shows up alive and says that he killed him and Vegeta replying "It didn't take!" Goku poo poo-talking Vegeta when he comes out the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, it's all great. I really like Cell's theme tune too.

It actually annoys me they still call him just Tien and never say Tien Shinhan like in the manga, though. You'd think the name I grew up with would stick with me.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

crankdatbatman posted:

Don't they call him that in the manga too though?

Yeah, but what I mean is that while people mostly call Goku Goku and Tien Tien, they do occasionally say Son Goku or Tien Shinhan in situations where using a full name would be appropriate, such as announcing them in the World Martial Arts tournament, or introductions and such. But in Kai they never say the full name even when it would be appropriate. I can kinda get not saying Son Goku or Son Gohan if you don't want kids to be confused by the Japanese naming order, but there's a scene in the saiyan saga where I think Krillin is listing off their allies and says "Yamcha, our friend Tien, Yajirobe," I'm pretty sure if you call a guy Tien all the time and call him Tienshinhan once kids' heads wont explode from confusion.

Then again, I can't recall if the ever call Dr Briefs and Mrs Briefs their name or say Bulma's surname in Kai either, so maybe they just want to avoid surnames entirely.

Vintimus Prime posted:

I swear, there might have been one or two times in either Kai or the funi dub that they actually called him Tienshinhan. Or maybe I'm thinking of the DB dub by Funimation.

Yeah I think they call him by his full name in Dragonball. I think they even say Son Goku and Son Gohan too come to think of it. Huh. I guess they needed surnames for the Jackie Chun joke to work :v:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

I think the implication was that Vegeta conceived of the technique too, same as Goku, it's just that like Goku, he just instantly knew that it wouldn't work, whereas Trunks went along with it.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I seem to recall that in some of toriyama's design sketches for SSJ3, Goku had his tail grow back, which I really wish he'd went with.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

carry on then posted:

That's one of the issues with this series, you can never really be sure who's going how hard and when. Goku took his time killing Frieza after transforming but was that because Frieza could still hold his own or because Goku was trying to send a message without actually killing him?

As soon as Goku goes Super Saiyan he utterly outclasses Freeza easily. Every step of the battle Goku is completely in control, and this is after he has been beat to hell by Freeza before transforming. The fight doesn't end because Goku ekes out a victory remember, Goku literally becomes so bored that Freeza is such a weakling that he just gives up fighting him. Even without getting any training in at all, I could see a fully rested Goku just beating the gently caress out of Freeza and his father as soon as they touched down.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
In the Cell example at least, Goku straight up knew he couldn't beat Cell.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Metal Loaf posted:

It's been a while since I saw it but I'm pretty sure he conceded the fight; he stops fighting and leaves the ring after Tenshinhan copies his kamehameha. It was a loss, sure, but it was a technical loss.

Man, Roshi really should have stuck around as an active, badass motherfucker who keeps improving. In Dragonball he is one of the coolest characters, aside from being hilarious. One of my favourite scenes in the whole thing is when the Red Ribbon army shows up at Kame House and one of them opens up with a machine gun on the old geezer and he just catches all the bullets out the air.

But the list of people who eventually drop out the story is almost everyone. In the entire first arc, the only characters who matter all the way to the end are Goku and Bulma, and Bulma is kind of on the edge I think.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

The Bee posted:

And the one where the minor characters fight the Ginyu Force on King Kai's planet. Because if DBZ needs anything, its more Ginyu Force.

That's so dumb because there's no way Tien and Yamcha and such were strong enough to take any aside Guldo. DBZAbridged handled that way better.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Nf3 posted:

Also Tien's shoulders getting any bigger from training joke.

Tien's character design is loving ridiculous is the joke.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So here are scans for Spaceman Jako's DB pages (just ignore the comments)

http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/4675145.html#cutid1

Gine's pretty cool and Bardock has mellowed out since his introduction, as someone who grew with DBZ this filled me with fuzzy feelings :unsmith:

Bardock really is straight up Jor-El, huh?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Caros posted:

Which is also why Goku flips his poo poo even beyond what you would expect. As far as he was concerned krillin was dead permanently.

And Goku flipped his poo poo pretty hard when Krillin died the first time, and he knew he could wish him back at that point, so he was REAL pissed.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I still giggle like a child every time I hear Piccolo say "We get it you're from space!"

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I'm just happy they mentioned the King. :allears:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Squallege posted:

Bulma did shoot Goku with a machine gun like, seconds after meeting him.

It's not like bullets can hurt him.

Roshi was friendly from minute one, yet another reason why Roshi is the best character in Dragonball.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I liked the little South Park musical sting after Goku says "I learned something today."

Once again, Vegeta remains the only person who can use the Kienzan properly.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I want to say that was Scrubs actually, but it's been forever since I've seen either.

Ah yeah, musically I think you are right. I just associate that phrase with Kyle so whatever.

So Vegeta got there in his ship.. but WHY was he there?

And aside from forgetting he could go super saiyan for a while, Goku also seemed to forget his power of unlimited-distance teleportation.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

ImpAtom posted:

Goku never killed anyone. Except for Buu but he got reincarnated so it's okay.

And the entire Red Ribbon army.

And he certainly thought he killed Tao Pie Pie and Freeza.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Momomo posted:

I have yet to watch/read much of Dragonball, and hearing that people like Tien and even Yajirobe get to actually like, do something is mind boggling.

Yajirobe is a loving badass and straight up as strong as (maybe a little stronger than) Goku in the King Piccolo saga when he shows up. He just never, ever does anything. I mean I guess he trains with Kami a bit but I think he just ate some chicken wings all day.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Given how awesomely cinematic the Asura's Wrath dudes made all the fight scene cinematics and such in Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 3, I'd still say they should be given a DBZ license.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
All these questions this page about power levels, ki and physical power only make no sense if you don't know what ki is. Having more ki makes you physically stronger because being physically and spiritually strong is what ki is. See: every Shonen and the entire wuxia genre.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
At this point I've spent a lot more time reading the manga and discussing Dragonball online and off than I ever did watching the show. Hell, I only watched, what, 1 hour 40 mins of DBZ a week when it was being broadcast when I was in school and I definitely spent more time talking about DBZ and reading Planet Namek even back then, so I've definitely got a few habits like using Tienshinhan, Freeza and Saiyajin.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

StrifeHira posted:

The 4th wall is literally broken in one of the first few chapters (Yamcha the Bandit fight I think?). The manga holds up pretty well compared to the original anime.

Yeah, Yamucha punches Goku and he ricochets off the panel border and breaks it :allears:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I'm gonna go with "Hey guys! You remind me of some assholes I'm gonna kill!" and "P-Piccolo... why didn't you DODGE!?"

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Starsnostars posted:

The thing I never got with Trunks is that he gave the impression he was all business, no toying with people or letting them power up, but then he had a signature attack with the most elaborate hand movements in the series. It just seemed out of place.

The hand movements for the kamehameha are pretty elaborate, and in my head they always do it before launching the attack, it's just that the don't show it every time in the manga because it would be redundant, and anime producers don't know what the gently caress they are doing. Like how no one who worked on Naruto remembered than stringing together handsigns were a thing after a while.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Metal Loaf posted:

There's some source which says Jeice and Zarbon were cousins. I also recall Jeice's character profile from one of the games (fairly sure it was whichever one had the story mode change and play out movie plots or alternate universes on every replay) commenting on his "sexy Euro features". Just thought I'd mention it.

Actually, one other thing I remember about Jeice was him describing Goku as "the strongest bloody Saiyan we've ever seen". You don't get much more Australian than that.

As for how I got into DBZ, I remember it starting around the same time we got Sky Digital. I can't remember how it jumped around channels - it started on the main Cartoon Network, then jumped to the short-lived CNX channel, which was anime, adult animation, East Asian martial arts films in the evenings, and other miscellaneous stuff (has anyone ever heard of this French cartoon called Chris Colorado? Because it's the only one I can really remember), then over to Toonami when it started (I'm not sure what stage this would have been at in the series). I honestly don't remember the series looping around after the Ginyu fight.

One really striking thing I remember was when the Cell Game sub-saga started, Toonami ran this ad which had "DBZ" stylised in jagged white letters with a red underline like the WWF logo. I thought that was pretty cool.

DBZ was, of course, the first anime I was into. Pokémon might have been first, but it was so ubiquitous that, at the time, I didn't really think of it as a "real" anime as much as a permutation of this vast franchise where the trading cards and video games were where the real action was. It was a lot like the toy-driven 1980s cartoons that I remember Cartoon Network re-running a lot in the 1990s (and Digimon was kind of the same), whereas DBZ was this kind of distinct entity as far as design and content were concerned. The thing is, I was about 10 and a bit of a prat.

I got into some of the anime the other channels snapped up to try and replicate DBZ's success, but a lot of them were questionable choices (Fox Kids had Sailor Moon and Nickelodeon had Cardcaptor Sakura, and they both tried to market them as shonen action adventures; Fox Kids also had Vision of Escaflowne, which I do recall enjoying a lot but have no idea how I'd respond if I saw it again today 10+ years later). There was one called Shinzo as well, which I thought was a bit naff.

My favourite anime series from that late-1990s era, which I got into well after the fact, is Slayers.

Edit: Good grief, this turned into a long post.

Yeah I'm mostly the same, though I got into DBZ on the ground floor I remember seeing the trailers and waiting for the premier. I liked Digimon a lot when the first series was running, I was young then, Fox Kids also had Medibots, which I also recall liking. Toonami over here had less shows than in the US. I remember Tenchi Muyo and Gundam Wing being there other major anime they showed in the prime afternoon time, and you might occasionally catch some cowboy bebop or outlaw star late at night.

CNX didn't come out until a bit into DBZs life I think. I know we repeated the series a few times though I think the breaks were different. I remember one such stopping point was when Goku started fighting Freeza. The big thing about DBZ I recall was that a new episode was on every weekday at 5pm, so we got 2 and a half hours of new DBZ a week! I was around 11 or 12 and had just started high school and I met a whole lot of my best friends in high school through mutual love of DBZ. Three or four of us would spend our entire registration period discussing the latest developments of Goku and pals, arguing over power levels and one of us (often me, since only two of us owned a computer) dispensing hard researched, half understood arcane spoilers for the future gleaned from Planet Namek. My best friend and I got split up in Geography because we spent half of one period pretending to have a beam-duel. :downs:

The big thing I remember is we were always behind America when it came to episodes, and then one glorious day, we kept getting episodes after fat buu was released, and for once we were on top! It seemed such a big deal at the time.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Okay so forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole "King Cold is even stronger than Freeza" thing bullshit?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

Man, I wish they'd put the new episode on YouTube already. Is there a reason it's only on their site for a while? That player is terrible and I've only gotten to play past the first 10 seconds without suddenly going to low quaulity 1 FPS once. Even if I pause it right away and let it buffer for a while it does the same thing.

They, presumably get more ad revenue through their own website, which is fair enough I guess.

I don't expect a small venture like this to match a huge video host like YouTube but god drat is it hot garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

bowmore posted:

On my way to see Battle of the Gods at the cinema!

I'm hoping this thread will one day let me know it's showing in the UK. I know it'll never happen, but a man can dream.

• Locked thread