Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FilthyImp posted:

But I also liked OG Vegeta's higher pitch, so...

Wasn't Brian Drummond the Ocean Group VA for Vegeta? I think I liked his take better than Christopher Sabat's (who certainly isn't bad, by any means).

Anyway, I think we're forgetting the best dub of them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kild posted:

She lost cus she's a girl.

The most beautiful - and fertile - woman on her home planet. Until Freeza blew it up.

Actually, is that something that was in the anime or the manga, that Freeza had blown up a bunch of his minions' home planets? It's been ages since I saw any version of the series or read the manga but I have this vague notion that Dodoria and Cui (maybe one of Cui's race in a filler episode, I admit) both said it happened to them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

a cartoon duck posted:

RIP Vegeta's mustache.

His flat-top looked sillier than his mustache.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tae posted:

Dragonball the movie could've worked if they didn't get the Dragon ball parts completely wrong. Like, at what point do you go to the idea that the Kamehameha is a revival technique?

My favourite thing about Dragon Ball: Evolution is still James Marsters describing Piccolo:

quote:

Lord Piccolo. He's thousands of years old and a very long time ago he used to be a force of good but got into a bad argument and was put into prison for 2,000 years. It got him very angry, and he finds a way to escape and then tries to destroy the world. The cool thing is, anybody who has seen Dragonball knows that Lord Piccolo transforms into a character named Piccolo, and that is a whole other ball of wax ... Heroic wouldn't be the wrong term by the end, but it's a long journey.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember liking Goku vs Ninja Murasaki, Goku vs Mercenary Tao and Goku vs King Piccolo from DB, and Raditz vs Goku and Piccolo, Nappa vs everyone and Goku vs Vegeta from DBZ.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Namtab posted:

Kamicollo

Schubalts posted:

Kamicollail

BMB5150 posted:

Picolami.

They should split the difference and call him Big Green.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I mostly liked the Garlic Jr saga but thought the parts with Kami and Popo were a bit naff.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"It's not for kids! Take me seriously, damnit!" :qq:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Stuff like Angel Cop and some of the other series I found in the "related videos" section (Mad Bull, Cyber City, Psycho Diver; I've never heard of these series before because my knowledge of anime in general is pretty limited) were pretty clearly aimed at an older audience. I was thinking more along the lines of fansubbers cramming a bunch of swearing into brightly-coloured shonen schlock because they want it to be for adults.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Holy crap, it's Sonic the Hedgehog!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've enjoyed most of the Android episodes a lot more when I've rewatched them. Same deal with the Ginyu segment of the Freeza episodes; they seemed to fall a bit flat when they were coming out but I liked them a lot more when I was able to watch them consecutively from start to finish.

Come to think of it, it occurs to me that season one was 10 episodes and season two was 20. Does that mean season three is going to be 30 episodes long? :v:

(It'll probably be twenty again)

Weighing in on the Freeza vs Cell sagas, I think part of the issue was that there wasn't really as much going on in between the fights. I think there was a lot more going on in the Freeza saga compared to the Cell saga.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

crankdatbatman posted:

The fun thing about the Freeza saga is that it was kind of tiered off. You had Cui, then Dodoria and Zarbon, then the Ginyu force, and finally Freeza. Like, they were all villains and stronger than the heroes at the time, but they were knocked off one by one and it was kind of exciting to see the heroes work through them and how they did it. The Saiyan saga was kind of like that too, at least with the saibamen and Nappa before Vegeta. In the Cell saga and especially the Buu saga it started just being "good guys vs. really strong bad guy" and that was that.

I kind of liked how Gohan and Krillin are, by this point, much more powerful than the average Freeza soldier, but since they're still completely outclassed by his best men, they need to spend most of the time laying low and searching for the Dragon Balls, which eventually leads to them meeting Dende and Guru. Meanwhile Vegeta is taking out Cui, Dodoria and Zarbon on his own, and they only really team up once the Ginyu Force shows up.

There's one part of the Cell saga that I think is sort of like that, and it's the bit that's just about to come up in the abridged series, where the androids are still the main threat and the ones the heroes are most concerned with defeating, but Cell is out there wandering about and absorbing whole towns at a time right under their noses, with Piccolo the only one aware of him and trying to chase him down on his own.

PiedPiper posted:

I like Cell saga (well, mostly because of Cell) but it really makes me sad that DBZ didn't end of Frieza saga.

I remember years ago I had this really fanfictiony idea for what should have happened after the Freeza saga, but it's basically the same idea everyone else has probably had (Goku doesn't come back, Gohan needs to become a super saiyan to beat the androids/Cell/whoever, then Goku comes back and says, "I've been in space the last fiveyears and I've learned a whole bunch of new tricks, but there's this new guy called Majin Buu and he'll be here in a year or two; we'd better start training!").

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 8, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

NikkolasKing posted:

But yeah, Funi's dubbing practices have changed a lot in a decade. Nowadays, giving a character an unnecessary accent is basically like saying your dub is poo poo. People like to say dubbing standards have improved since 2000, and I guess they have, but I still enjoy dubs from early 2000 or even the 90s. Stuff like Magic Knights Rayeath and what I've heard of Gundam Wing are all pretty nice. Plus some of the best dubs ever are from the start of the 00s, like FMA or Inuyasha.

I don't watch a great deal of anime so my knowledge is fairly limited, but I think my favourite dub is probably Slayers (especially once Crispin Freeman takes over as Zelgadis), which is about as '90s as they come.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WickedHate posted:

Democrats and Republicans would still vote for him over the opposite party's candidate. I mean, obviously Cell is a member of the Green Party.

There's probably a bad pun like "Celery Clinton" in there somewhere.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've only seen the first five. I sort of like them solely because they provided most of the footage for the original "Rock the Dragon" theme, which I thought was really cool when I was younger, and I spent ages wanting to see where all those scenes came from.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Spiritus Nox posted:

That's probably the funniest usage of Ghost Nappa besides The Punchline, too. ...Was that the last time Ghost Nappa showed up? I don't remember him saying anything during the Ginyu or Frieza fights.

He appeared at the end of the Tree of Might parody.

"Vegeeeeetaaaa... Tonight you will be haunted be threeeee ghooooosts! And they're all me. Hi."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I'm still hoping they'll do one for Namek as well.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Otherwise I don't really object to any of the Saga. I'd rather there have been fewer curbstomp fights, so Gohan vs. Buu would be better served by Buu immediately absorbing Gotenks and them fighting at basically an even level until Buu gets a surprise absorption victory or something.

He could've absorbed Gotenks and it would have given him enough raw power to fight him on an even footing, then he could've absorbed Piccolo, gaining the edge that way because it makes him a much smarter fighter.

Or the other way around, maybe.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It would've been cool for that to occur in stages like that; Buu realises that he can overpower Gohan with his Gotenks absorption, but he doesn't necessarily know how to do it, so he absorbds Piccolo to gain his intelligence, understand how to use his new power and work out a strategy that allows him to win.

Of course, having Gohan lose because the villain knows everything his first teahcer knows would have had the side-effect of emphasising that the reason he lost is because he didn't keep up with his training!

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 17, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Steve Jorbs posted:

If it was Super Buu's human extinction attack then why were Tien and Chiaotzu targeted???

Presumably it also works on three-eyed cowboys.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Roboto posted:

Big time. They point out in the series that pre-split Piccolo ("The Nameless Namek") was quite a powerful being before he became Earth's God.

Powerful enough that he could have beaten Freeza on his own, if I recall correctly.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shindragon posted:

I do like how Piccolo never uses his get large and stay the same speed/size tech ever again after DB.

Did he use it in the Garlic, Jr. saga or was that a different technique?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

crankdatbatman posted:

But he lost to Tenshinhan?

It's been a while since I saw it but I'm pretty sure he conceded the fight; he stops fighting and leaves the ring after Tenshinhan copies his kamehameha. It was a loss, sure, but it was a technical loss.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember I had this DBZ magazine several years ago which had this short profile of Master Roshi that included the curiously specific factoid, "He became a pervert at the age of 123."

It's one of the few things I can recall really distinctly about the magazine, aside from the fact that it included a word search you could complete, cut out and post in to win a TV/VCR combo with tapes of the Big Green Tree of Might and Lord Slug dubs. I think maybe around 2000-ish or thereabouts, I think it might have been in the gap between Freeza and the Androids airing in the UK, and I think it was it was glossy, yellow, the cover had Goku and Gohan riding the Nimbus and it was listed as "No. 6".

I can only remember bizarrely specific facts about this thing but I can't even recall the actual title.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think I've read that Toriyama did want the story to end with the first Dragon Ball quest. It might even have been in that article; I'll have to re-read it to double check.

Edit: Sure enough, that particular rumour was the very first one they cover!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

a cartoon duck posted:

Toriyama sold out after the Ox King.

I liked it better when it was a series about a blue-haired girl driving her futuristic car down a country road, but then she met some kid with a tail. It never recovered from that blunder.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Namtab posted:

My :spergin: level is over 8000

There's no way that can be right.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wanna know what 17 and 18's real names were? Well, now you can!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Spiritus Nox posted:

I love Vegeta when he's being impotently defiant. :allears:

"How did you know about the parts you weren't there for?"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Vire posted:

I thought I remember a scene where vegeta was young practicing against a bunch of saibamen. So I am not sure that is true about them never training.

I think there's a scene like that in Bardock: The Father of Goku.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I never paid much attention to the incidental music, but I'll tell you this much; I remember being nine years old, and Cartoon Network had all these adverts for DBZ. I didn't know what it was, but looked pretty cool, so I tuned in to watch the first episode, not really sure what to expect, and then...

This happened.

:hellyeah:

I mean, looking back, this is naff as anything, but first time round, it was the coolest thing anyone had ever seen.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Star posted:

Rock the Dragon was my first exposure to DBZ, too. It's funny to watch it now because now I know where all the clips are from, but back then, I just thought those were from other parts of the series that I hadn't seen yet.

Haha, yeah. I think that's most of the reason I still like those movies best!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Squallege posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR46WbmYFyQ
I think this'll end all discussion about the best openings.

YO HO HO HE TOOK A BITE O' GUM GUM.

Thyrork posted:

Dont forget Pokemon and Digimon! :allears: ... Terrible times.

Aside from Pokémon and Digimon, I remember when DBZ got popular and all the other kids' channels we had on Sky Digital scrambled for their own action anime series, Nickelodeon ended up with Cardcaptor Sakura while Fox Kids got Sailor Moon and (one I actually liked) Vision of Escaflowne.

Cartoon Network also got Gundam Wing but they never tried any of the other entries in the franchise (it remains the only Gundam series I've seen; to this day, I have not seen a single Universal Century series).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't recall ever seeing any Gundam series other than Wing on Cartoon Network or its spin-off channels. However, I'm pretty sure Sci-Fi in the UK had Gundamn SEED and Gundam 00. Or maybe that was also Cartoon Network. Frankly, I can't remember, I haven't really watched TV regularly in years.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, when it would have been on, I had to go to bed at 9 o'clock, so I probably just missed it. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zorak posted:

Creators of popular manga / anime make quite a bit money, even something like shounen. Some of the big names are actually among some of the highest earners in Japan. The system is actually pretty favorable to creators in general in terms of rights and financial contracts. Hours are terrible if you're actively creating a weekly manga though. This is going off of memory, but I seem to recall one of the female authors actually topping the list of individual earners? Remember that all corporations in Japan don't actually pay much to executives etc. The companies keep most of the money corporate.

I think Oda is actually pretty filthy rich as a result of One Piece and its merchandising. Toriyama I would presume is pretty similar.

I've heard that Rumiko Takahashi is one of the richest women in Japan, but she had something like four really major hit series (which either overlapped or came out consecutively), which to my admittedly quite limited knowledge of the manga business seems to be the exception as far as the shonen/shojo mangaka go.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My favourite line from Malaysian DBZ:

"WE CAN WANDA SELFISHLY IN UNIVERSE, DESTROY WHATEVAH WE LIKE! EAT DELICIOUS FOOD... AND DRINK DELICIOUS LIKKKAAAA!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Retcon posted:

Do I understand correctly that DBZ finished airing in the US before DB? Because here in Germany Dragon Ball aired two years before DBZ and I remember being blown away when they revealed that Goku was an alien. Our localisation of DBZ was kind of weird though. From what I've read online they used the French localisation as a basis. The French version aired in the afternoon but the German dub aired at 7pm so it had more cuts than you would expect. There was content in DBZA that I never saw when I first watched the series, like Dodoria stabbing that Namekian.

In the UK, at least, Cartoon Network (though it was probably Toonami by then; I can't exactly remember) didn't air DB until after they'd finished DBZ. In fact, they may not even have aired it until after they'd finished GT.

It was definitely advertised as a kind of "see where it all began" thing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

Goku says that Vegeta's power dropped quite a bit making that false moon so gohan and krillin showing up wouldn't have helped as much if Vegeta still had most of his stamina.

Then again the only reason the Giant Monkey thing backfired was because Vegeta was completely unaware of the existence of Yajirobe.

After he gets hit by the spirit bomb then drops back to Earth, isn't there a bit where King Kai goes, "I don't believe it! The Saiyan is even more powerful than he was before!" or is that only in certain versions of the dub?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Astus posted:

Could also have something to do with 17's obsession about driving cars instead of just flying around.

They had to wait a couple of years while he learned how to pilot an aeroplane.

• Locked thread