Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I haven't seen a lot of talking about Battle of Z, which is a shame because it's actually surprisingly good. I am very surprised there hasn't been a lot of buzz about it, but given what DBZ games were for quite a while I can imagine why. I made a write-up of my thoughts about it in case anyone is interested to learn about the game.

DBZ Battle of Z is a weird game in that it really shouldn't be a DBZ game. Why? It's a lot more complex than any DBZ game that wasn't developed by Dimps. It looks like a fighting game at first glance but it is not one. You cannot chain combos, there are no bet of 3s, there is no character balance derived towards the game on a competitive level at all. It is a team based action-rpg with elements of Monster Hunter, yes you read that right.

The game is based around the team as a whole, four players on one team. There are four classes that characters are divided into: Melee, Ki, Support and Interference. Each one has their own strengths and weaknesses while filling in a role on the team. Melee is meant for up close battles, ki is meant to use special attacks and ki blasts from afar, support is the healing role not meant for fighting much, and interference is meant for stopping the opponent from either being able to move or mount an offensive by binding them in place. There are no in-game transformations, this due to the how the game's equipment and the class system works. Different transformations have different classes from the last form for the most part or will sometimes build on a previous form and have two classes. This leads into another big part of the game, the cards.

Cards are your equipment, you get some after every mission you complete and there are many with a multitude of effects. Every character has a set number of cards they are able to equip, this does not change unless you equip cards that let you equip more cards of specific stats. A way the game also balances more powerful characters is a retry system. Basically, the entire team share retries and if you run out of them and one team member is not revived within the time limit you fail the mission. Specific characters are attributed a number of retries that add to the pool and these vary from 0-2. Weak characters whose only purpose are one thing are given 2 retries, second tier characters who can serve one purpose very well or sometimes two are 1, and the strongest characters who can kind of break an opponent have none. It makes it so you have to build a team around your respective playstyles combining together and working in tandem. IE: No one wants to be the white mage, but someone has to be if you want to win.

This is a mission based game, there are 60 missions and of course they will increase in difficulty. Some of the later missions are downright ridiculous in how many specialized characters can get thrown at you at once and the last two in general are really tough. The bosses are smart and have buffed stats so you cannot possibly lay in effective damage on your own. Your best bet is always to find someone to play with as the computer is complete garbage. There is also an online battle mode where you will need to fight other teams who are eithe rjust as messy as yours or who know how to coordinate an attack.

The gameplay however is very standard DBZ Tenkaichi-styled games gameplay. You get your basic stuff like melee, ki, and so on. Really large 3d fields to fight in, everything like that. There's not much to say about that part, it's as it looks. The only that's really change is you can't charge your ki up, it recharges from melee and ki blasts, this is actually a big change as again just allowing people to charge ki would disrupt the balance of the game. I actually like the game a lot, it's got some unique ideas and is a lot more than I expected to have from a gameplay system from a modern DBZ game. Unfortunately it was given to one of the worst fanbases they could've given it to as DBZ fans only really know how to mash buttons until everything is dead. BUt hey. at least I get fun stuff like this...

Super Saiyan Da Gawd

Oh and this

I was thinking about picking this up, but I have way too many games to play as is right now. Also Bravely Default comes out for the 3DS in like a week, so there is even more on my plate. I was curious though, you said that it played a lot like the Tenkaichi games; I was poo poo at them, but I don't know if it's because I didn't 'get' it, or what. Which in turn made me rather disappointed in the one I rented years back. I got back into the games with Burst Limit, which was closer to the Budokai 3 I adored on PS2.

Your description of the team system and cards seems interesting, but if I wasn't a fan of/good at the old Tenkaichi games am I going to just be wasting my time? As is I may try and get it used down the line for like $30 or so, I can't bring myself to dump $60 on a game when I have so much on my plate from the latest Steam sale and Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
So maybe I'm dense, but I feel like I'm missing something obvious. In the latest DBZ Abridged, 19 is talking to Toriyama the bird about his dinosaurs and what they do?

I mean I get that Dino's are in DBZ... but I don't get the joke part?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Caros posted:

That doesn't really answer his question, it just refers to the first iteration of the joke. The origin of the joke, as far as I can tell, lies in the Dragonball Z opening song "CHA -LA HEAD CHA-LA".

The song contains the lyrics, 溶けた北極1の中に 恐竜がいたら 玉乗り仕込みたいね, which translates more or less to "Within the melted polar ice, If there’s a dinosaur, I want to train it to balance on a ball!"

To be honest the lyrics of the opening song are straight up ridiculous. One of the defining moments for me as I began to learn Japanese was watching dragonball and realizing just what the gently caress I had been listening to for all those years.

As another fun fact, Head Cha-la is a weird engrish style pun on words. 平ちゃら or Hecchara can be Japanese slang for "Be cool" or "Its all good" which fits with the overall fun loving feel of the song.

Huh, had no idea that was actually the lyrics. Thanks for the tip!

Also, if anything this has made me realize that I need to watch the abridged movies still. Forgot there were some.

Ninja E: Oh and which movie is Battle of the Gods, numerically? I actually really liked that one as well and would recommend it. Even if the fight scene at the end wasn't quite as good as some of the others, it was still a fun movie.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

PiedPiper posted:

Speaking of which, I know there is some vitriol for Buu saga, but what do you personally make of it? What would you want to be altered? What scenes/characters were your (least) favourite?

Removing the entire scene where Gohan can't catch an earring even though he is one of the strongest and fastest people I. The world?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Azubah posted:

Kai is pretty great but it really needed that filler episode where they get their driver's license.

Buu saga has yet to be released though, we can still have hope!

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

TARDISman posted:

I still think one of my favorite parts of the series is Vegeta screaming at Trunks that they're going to play in the park. Hell, anything involving Vegeta becoming a dad/husband is one of the best parts of the Buu saga, so much so that it ends up being a plot point when he becomes Majin Vegeta.

Also probably the best scene in Battle of the Gods. Vegeta powering up and going toe to toe with the big bad in defense of Bulma.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Away all Goats posted:

Are we allowed to talk about video games here?

I remember playing the Budokai Tenkaichi games in the past as a teen and loved it. So far the only game that really captured the fast, explosive and destructive fights in the series. I was really getting a hankering to play it again but it would require buying a PS2.

That said, I noticed there were sequels called Raging Blast for the PS3, and having checked out some videos, I gotta say, I'm not impressed. It looks like a cheap knockoff despite being a generation older.

So for those who have played: Is the Raging Blast series of games any good? Are there any DBZ games you would recommend?

You realize they re-released Budokai 3, and Tenkaichi as a HD remake right? I picked it up on a whim due to Budokai 3 being my favorite DBZ game, and was sad by my rose tinted glasses. :(

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

That looked pretty awesome, and no it has not yet been posted here.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

CHUMPVILLE posted:

Which, if any, of the Dragon Ball games are worth seeking out to play? Across any console?

For (somewhat) recent games: Budokai HD Collection has Budokai 3 which a lot of people have rose tinted glasses about (Myself included). I bought the collection and was disappointed. Going to nip that right in the bud. The rock paper scissors combat for the "Dragon Rush" just doesn't hold up.

There is tons of love for the Budokai Tenkaichi games, especially 3. It has probably one of the largest rosters. Otherwise you are looking at their new versions, which is Raging Blast for the Tankaichi (Third person over the shoulder fighter ) style, or Burst Limit for the Budokai 3 style ( 2D Fighter ).

As for games previous to those, there is a dearth of pretty great GBA games that I have only a passing experience with.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Szmitten posted:

Wait.

Is there way less Saiyaman and high school highjinks? :(

I was saddened too, but there is still enough that I wasn't completely upset with it. Just disappointed.

I still mourn Goku/Piccolo driving. :911:

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

NikkolasKing posted:

Well Movie 4 Goku used Kaioken x 100 which, if you know the SSJ multiplier is only 50x, means that Kaioken is stronger than Super Saiyan.

Then again, Movie 4 is just the perfect storm of Teoi not giving a gently caress. Goku turned Super Saiyan before he did in the anime or manga(or so I hear), the whole plot is just a rehash of King Piccolo and then of course the Kaioken being stronger than Super Saiyan just makes the SSJ transformation stupid and pointless.
Oh and SPIRIT BOMB SAVES THE DAY. Again.

But Kaioken puts a lot more strain on his body doesn't it? Wait... really... am I trying to justify that poo poo movie, I feel dirty. I need a shower.

I really wanted to go see Battle of the Gods in thearters, but it appears it's only coming to random theaters outside Boston at like 7 pm on like one day. :saddowns: I just can't make it there after I get out of work really.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

furiouskoala posted:

Teaser for the next movie is out.

That trailer had less cool stuff than the DBZ Kai Intro. :(

Article is cool to read at least.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Surfer Rosa Parks posted:

I'm seriously tempted to buy this shirt

Fixed, and that shirt is awesome. You had a ? and query parameter after the image location.

So I was talking to my wife while driving to my brother in laws birthday party, and we were talking about random poo poo. DBZ came up, and she refused to go to the new movie in theaters. But more to the point, Kami came up. Piccolo fused with Kami, pretty much becoming whole again, but really, who was Kami before Kami?

Was his name just Kami before? Was he just DESTINED to become a god of Earth?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Mordaedil posted:

If I remember it correctly, he took the name Piccolo because it opened his spaceship/house. He became a fairly powerful warrior and the Guardian of the Earth told him he would have offered him the position if he was pure of heart, so Piccolo split in half right there, one part pure, the other... Well. Piccolo kept his name while the pure part became the new God, Kami of Earth.

Kami literally means god in Japanese, or at least deity, so it's a strange untranslated artifact that is just curious to look at now. Which is why when Piccolo and Kami fuses, he isn't Piccokami as Goku suggested, but keeps the Piccolo name. It was his to begin with.

I had figured Piccolo was likely his original name, and he inherited the title of Kami, and just took that on as his name when he split. But yeah, the fact that Kami means god is only really jarring in Battle of the Gods when they talk about Dende as Kami(God) and everyone is taken aback. It provokes a kind of knee jerk reaction.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Shindragon posted:

Seriously while Vegeta's BINGO dance is the greatest thing in the movie, there are just way too many things to list in that movie that made me laugh and smile.

The pictures etc scream it's super serious movie, but it ain't at all. I considering Battle of the Gods one of the best DB movies actually. Up there with Bojack and Fusion Reborn.

I liked it way better than either of those movies. Easily my favorite DBZ movie made thus far.

The ending fight though was a bit.... too much. I understand that they needed to really try and elevate the fighting and make it all about Goku saving the day :saddowns: but Vegeta seriously steals the show hardcore.

I HIGHLY recommend it. I already bought my ticket.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Beef Waifu posted:

Who all is excited to see Battle of the Gods tonight?

I have my ticket already, they printed it when I went to see Guardians of the Galaxy. But the showings up in NE don't go up until tomorrow.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Kai doesn't even really re-animate anything, right? It's just recut and remastered, right? What is there to even say about a show like that beyond "Yep, more dragonball," or waxing nostalgic about parts you haven't seen in a while?

For the most part it is recut, but there have been some animations they had to completely redo, it was more evident in the beginning though.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Has Xenoverse ever been confirmed for America? Also, is it going to be another MMO? With it coming to consoles, I question it a little.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

The Score DBZ Card Game is coming back! Well, not through Score this time, but it has the same rules and everything.

http://paniniamerica.wordpress.com/2014/07/24/a-legend-returns-panini-america-bringing-back-popular-dragon-ball-z-card-game/

We have a "Freecycle" table where people give away poo poo at work. A buddy of mine grabbed a plastic bag FULL of this old card game for me and dropped them on my desk. I've yet to actually open the bag and look at them, but interesting that it's getting a revival.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

soscannonballs posted:

Wow I was huge into the card game and I actually still have all my cards sitting in my closet collecting dust. I am guessing my old cards won't be legal in the new game though.

I doubt anywhere will pick it up for tournament play, and the rules are apparently the same so I don't see how they would be 'illegal' anywhere you could find a game for it.

soscannonballs posted:

It was pretty popular in my area. We had a group of about 10 players who would go to regional events, had a few even win them, and one of the players actually won the last World Championship event the game did before dying out.

:aaaaa:

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

bowmore posted:

The rules have changed a bit for the better and and streamlined to make it less complicated.

Having known nothing about this game besides the fact that a large zip-lock bag collection is sitting on my desk at work, I was going off of:

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

The Score DBZ Card Game is coming back! Well, not through Score this time, but it has the same rules and everything.

http://paniniamerica.wordpress.com/2014/07/24/a-legend-returns-panini-america-bringing-back-popular-dragon-ball-z-card-game/

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

NikkolasKing posted:

Even the weaker start of Buu Saga Gohan was stronger than Piccolo or Krillin. Dabura being on his level isn't too shabby for that point in time.
Only Goku and Vegeta could have beaten him.

For the dub of Kai Buu Saga, I hope they bring back Dabura's original dub VA. He was one of the few performances that was just perfect from the first time he said anything. I'd honestly say he was one of the best voices in the whole dub.

Also they better keep this in Kai's version of the Buu Saga.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvHxwhqQ8lE

Dabura at least got the best death of any Z villain.

I kind of doubt that filler will make it, if the car driving lesson didn't :(

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

WickedHate posted:

It is a DBZ joke, the punchline being that Naruto and Luffy are both very derivative of Goku. Which isn't to say they are rip offs exactly, but Dragon Ball Z is one of the most influential manga of all time, and Goku is the archtypical shonen protagonist.

This is the reasoning why I loved those jokes when I saw it. I loved the dream sequence and also that the "Ninja Goku" had a four star ball on his headband.

Sure the actual art wasn't anything to be proud of, but it was amusing. I really liked the "Yeah" after it ended, just sold it for me and I laughed out loud at it.

The only other part that needed more praise than it's getting is the bus drivers last scene and Cell's "Beep" during it.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Just got an invite for the DBZ Xenoverse network test that is going this weekend. Starts tomorrow at 5 AM and ends on Sunday apparently.

I'll have to post up some impressions once it goes live. Can't play it until the servers are up.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Azubah posted:

RBCL-CLN4-TPF3 is the PS3 voucher code if you want in.

It's seriously the same code for everyone? I didn't that they legitimately did that. Anyway, it's the first 20k to register.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Trip report on the DBZ: Xenoverse, no manual/tutorial really hurts, especially in the first mission, where you need to target the portal, and go through it.

I also apparently am the only one who picked to be a Namekian. Everyone that I walked around seeing was a Saiyan, be it female or male.

The combat system is a bit weird for me, where you hold R2 for your selection of specials/supers/ultimates. Coming from Budokai and Burst Limit, is this something I just missed in the latest games?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Brony Hunter posted:

Can you play a Human? I wanna play a Human. Saiyans are for posers.

In the actual game I think they supported being human, but in the network test that is for today only you can only be a Saiyan or a Namekian. The matchmaking is a bit hit or miss, takes a WHILE to get some lobbies to come up, but it is with a much smaller test base. Once we were in a game I noticed no lag. Having three separate people trying to beat up on one guy is a bit chaotic though and generally doesn't work that well with almost every combo having some sort of push-back. Some coordination in the players would've helped.

There are all the poses they showed up, plus a ridiculous amount more. There are 4 pages of pre-canned sayings to use as well, like Hello!, and various looking for group sayings. Oh and One more time, please, and other rematch style things. Since you can PvP in this as well.

I found it a little odd that you get to select between your created character and any unlocked character (Goku, Krillin, Tien, Vegeta, Yamcha, etc. ) when you actually take on the mission. Your avatar is only required when you walk around the city area, and talk to other people. If you want you can play as Tien, and take on the mission where you prepare for the Saiyans and fight Tien/Krillin. Having two of them in the fight, or hell 4 Tiens, if you all pick him.

I guess I was more expecting the missions you do to be your avatar only, and then have a separate kind of Vs. mode where you pick anyone.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Kild posted:

Tenkaichi does this IIRC.

As I mentioned I played all of the Budokai/Burst Limit style games, ( 2D Fighters really ) not the Tenkaichi games, so that would make sense.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

My copy of the blu-ray just came in today, I'm super excited to get off work and throw it in to watch it all over again. :swoon:

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Webbeh posted:

Yep, Battle of Gods is out today. YAYYYY

The 2 extra features they did for watching the voice acting behind the scenes were pretty cool. Also the extended edition scenes are actually interspersed throughout the movie, and I thought helped a bit with pacing. They were almost ALL universally random jokes, but it gave even more of that original Dragonball feel to it.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Prison Warden posted:

I think that was mostly Nail, I got the impression that he was stronger than any of Freeza's dudes who weren't the ginyu force.

Yet another thing I realise is great about Battle of Gods is that the vast majority of the combat is physical, beam attacks are used sparingly. Beerus even grabs one of Gohan's(?) punches with some chopsticks. Actual Kung Fu poo poo!

During the undersea battle when Bills even pulls out the beam attacks Goku is all "Now we're using energy attacks?!" in the dub at least I think. Saw it in the behind the scenes and I loved it for this reason specifically.

Also of note, the dub added more screaming to that scene.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Some Numbers posted:

Piccolo Jr's power level at the start of Z was around 3-400. That means King Piccolo was even weaker.

Was it though? When he "Birthed" Piccolo, would he have made him as powerful as himself? Like Cymbol and crew???

Something else has been annoying me.

During the Nappa fight, they talk about how they can't revive Chaotzu with the Dragonballs since he's already bee revived once. He dies, then later is back. I don't recall him getting wished back by any new Dragonballs, but it's been a while. However if it's because he was revived by "New" Dragonballs, why can't Goku be revived in the Buu Saga, doesn't the Supreme Kai give him his life or something?

It's been YEARS since I've watched all of the Buu Saga, but obviously Goku is back alive by the middle of it. He fights with his "One day on earth" originally, but in the Kai reshoot of it, that day is already almost done and there is still a lot to go.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Zonekeeper posted:

Chaotzu was revived by the Namek Balls after his death-by-explosion against Nappa, which can revive anyone as many times as needed with the restriction that only one person can be wished back at a time. The Earth balls can bring back many people with a single wish, but cannot bring back a given person more than once.

Goku didn't get wished back after Cell because the person being brought back must come back willingly. Goku wanted to stay dead since hes very presence seemed to attract powerful enemies.

I remember him not getting wished back willingly, but he needed to be revived during Buu correct? And was willing???

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

sharktamer posted:

I think he stayed dead too long.

This actually makes sense then. Didn't think of that.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Darko posted:

Yeah, "the worst wish." Goku wishes for something really bad (probably someone strong to fight at his level) and then a lot of fighting happens.

They also said Vegeta would play a larger role in the new movie too.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
From the google search posted earlier, I found this loving atrocious flow chart of events:

Anyone brave enough to do something similar that explains Cell, cause my brain is in loving knots.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Crosspeice posted:

Ah, a live action Dragonball series...

THEY NEVER LEARN

At least they did a good job with the 17/18 characters.... I'm really pulling off the bottom of the barrel for something good to say.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Esroc posted:

I assumed they just didn't need the second wish at the time and allowed the balls to reset at half-time.

I had assumed that they had used a wish some time in the last few months. After every wish it takes X amount of months to restore them to power for a wish, and it can store up to 2 or 3? It was said in one of the Kai episodes I just watched when they wished for people to come back and he says he doesn't need anymore wishes. Then it's followed up by "We can go find them again in X months" or something.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

SexyBrianPuppet posted:

No Farmer with Shotgun? Not buying.

Has he made his DB:Z Game debut yet? If not that is a tragedy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Kild posted:

:confused:

Exclusively in the Ocean Group dub of the anime, Vegeta states that Goku's father (never referred to by name) invented the Power Ball technique, calling him as an "average fighter but a brilliant scientist".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_DFJ-OXTzQ

Did I watch the ocean dub as a kid :aaa:

E: After watching it, I remember Vegeta telling Goku about his dad, but I definitely don't remember that voice....

• Locked thread