Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

or, How I learnt to stop worrying and love the bonfire

I've just started a video series on Dark Souls. As I'm neither a pro-gamer nor a newbie the angle I've chosen is as a guide to the game for people who're starting out with Dark Souls, or who've been interested in playing but put off by tales of its extreme difficulty, or people who've picked it up but become confused or overwhelmed and put it down again.

Episode 01 - In which we escape the Undead Asylum and I talk a bit about shields and weapons
Episode 02 - Firelink shrine and other local tourist attractions. Treasure hunting before a trip to the Undead Burg.
Episode 03 - Undead Burg. A look at the move sets of the Zweihander and Winged spear, followed by an exploration of Undead Burg. Havel is demonstrated, but not fought.
Episode 04 - The Undead Parish, Part one. Giant Pigs and the route to the first Bonfire
Episode 05 - Undead Parish, Part 2. The church, the Gargoyles and multiplayer.

After a brief diversion to visit old friends, we descend into the Lower Undead Burg and face the Capra Demon, unlocking the depths.

Episode 06 - The Lower Undead Burg. Revisiting some old friends, then fighting the Capra Demon
Episode 07 - Prologue to the Depths and Return to the Undead Asylum part one
In this video I prepare for the Depths and Blighttown by getting the large ember (to upgrade my weapons past +5), unlocking Pyromancy and getting the Rusted Ring so lower Blight town isn't too terrible.
Episode 08 The Depths with bonus Hot Rats.
Both the short and long routes through the depths, a demonstration of the Cursed status and a humanity farming loop.
Episode 09 - Poison, platforms and hanzo steel.[/url]
We begin the descent into Blight town, finishing at the first bonfire, and picking up the Shadow set and Iaito along the way.
Episode 10 - , Blight Town, Part 2. Down, down, deeper and down
Our descent into the swamp continues, picking up the Wanderer set and Falchion, the Eagle shield the Whip and most importantly, the Power Within pyromancy.
Episode 11 - Lower blighttown and Chaos Witch Queelag.
Episode 12 - Sens' House of fun

I'll be going through the game in sequence, but if there's any sections that people would like to see in advance, let me know and I'll see if I have a character I can demo it with.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dizaero
Jan 30, 2012

CORRECT ANSWER
YUO ARE SMART
try jumping

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Always try jumping. Also, bravery.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Just watched the first bit on my phone but the sound is desynched like a second behind the video, anyone else?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Takes No Damage posted:

Just watched the first bit on my phone but the sound is desynched like a second behind the video, anyone else?

Nope, watching on my PC, less than a minute into the video and the sound's already desynced badly.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Yeah, outside of the desyncing, I'm a bit curious what problems you had recording the cutscenes. I'm pretty sure I've seen quite a few LP's of the game and whether it was the console or PC version, none of them had that issue.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Yeah, I noticed the desynch, but wasn't sure how to fix it.

I think I've worked it out now, so it won't be there in part two onwards. As for cutscenes, FRAPS just didn't do the sound for some reason. I had the same issues with the intro cutscene of Wizardry Online - with that I ended up recording it via OBS and grabbing the sound from there since I actually wanted the cutscene.

I suspect that my new sound card - an Asus Xonar DG - might be to blame, as I didn't have those sorts of issues when using onboard sound (however the rest of the sound quality is so much better with the Asus...)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I've noticed that the PC version of Dark Souls occasionally decides to slightly desynch the audio for no reason, both on my computer and in several videos I've seen, so I didn't think anything of it while watching the episode. Restarting the game may or may not fix the audio (usually doesn't, but sometimes it works fine :iiam:), and rebooting the computer should do it if all else fails.

edit: never mind this, my problems with desynch in Dark Souls are down to my soundbar getting progressively worse audio drift after a few hours using the same source. Going from HDMI1 to HDMI2 fixes it.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 15, 2014

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Angrymog, I was going to send you a PM about something after seeing this thread, but it appears that you don't have Platinum.

Basically I was going to inquire as to whether you were going to have guest commentators later on, and offer to share some thoughts about the influence of the boss fights in Demon's Souls upon Dark Souls. One or two of them have only a minor impact, but all have some level of influence.

Man, you got lucky dashing in the boss fight. That should have really gotten you killed.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Yapping Eevee posted:

Angrymog, I was going to send you a PM about something after seeing this thread, but it appears that you don't have Platinum.

Basically I was going to inquire as to whether you were going to have guest commentators later on, and offer to share some thoughts about the influence of the boss fights in Demon's Souls upon Dark Souls. One or two of them have only a minor impact, but all have some level of influence.

That would be cool - I've played Demon's but only once, so apart from a few obvious ones like the Gargoyles, Golem and the False Idol I haven't paid too much attention to simmilarities.

Heh, now I've said that I'm thinking of lots of others, but expert insight would be cool.

quote:

Man, you got lucky dashing in the boss fight. That should have really gotten you killed.
Probably, but the nice thing about this is that I don't have to produce a perfect run to show off, a 'good enough' run is perfectly fine. Dark Souls boss fights are a bit like landings - any one you can walk away from is a good one; if you don't have to bonfire right afterwards, that's a bonus.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Angrymog posted:

That would be cool - I've played Demon's but only once, so apart from a few obvious ones like the Gargoyles, Golem and the False Idol I haven't paid too much attention to simmilarities.

Heh, now I've said that I'm thinking of lots of others, but expert insight would be cool.

I'd hardly call it expert, but it's something I've mulled over a bit. :) It's kind of surprising how much impact one boss in particular has.

Angrymog posted:

Dark Souls boss fights are a bit like landings - any one you can walk away from is a good one; if you don't have to bonfire right afterwards, that's a bonus.

That's a pretty fair summation, honestly.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Episode 2 - Firelink shrine and other local tourist attractions.

A bit of treasure hunting before we head up to the Undead Burg.

Next episode I'm going to show off the moveset of the Zweihander and Winged Spear as well as demonstrate the death mechanic.

Yapping Evee - my steam is madcat_uk if you want to add me on that to sort something out.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Good stuff, no desynch this time. I wasn't aware that you could suicide-run for the Fire Keeper's Soul in New Londo at the start. I'm going to have to do that after I finish with the Dynamic Duo.

Are you going to try getting invaded in the Burg/Parish to show new players why it might be a bad idea to unhollow? Alternatively, show them why it can be a good idea by getting Sunbro to help you fight the Gargoyles.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

QuantaStarFire posted:

Are you going to try getting invaded in the Burg/Parish to show new players why it might be a bad idea to unhollow? Alternatively, show them why it can be a good idea by getting Sunbro to help you fight the Gargoyles.
Yeah. In the Parish probably so that I can also demo being summoned and pop the red eyes to demo invading whilst having less chance of hitting a fight club.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
One very minor correction: The door to the Valley is locked, not openable-only-on-one-side. :eng101:

An extensive look at the starting area and some very nice tips; a fine video. :) Might want to link to the channel you recommended.

Pyrogenesis
Feb 19, 2013

After getting the fire keeper soul you can also homeward bone it out of there, no need for suicide.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Yapping Evee: There's a link in the description, but I'll add a Youtube annotation pointing to the description.
Pryogenesis: Yeah, but waste of a bone really

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

A look at the move sets of the Zweihander and Winged spear, followed by an exploration of Undead Burg. Havel is demonstrated, but not fought.

Episode 03 - Undead Burg

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Angrymog posted:

Yeah, I noticed the desynch, but wasn't sure how to fix it.

Can't watch because I'm trying to stay in the dark on DaS, but if you separate the video and audio, you can figure out if it's one major desync and shift audio to match. If it's a progressive thing, you may have to do it multiple times and it's a lot of work.

Up to you.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Slowbeef posted:

Can't watch because I'm trying to stay in the dark on DaS, but if you separate the video and audio, you can figure out if it's one major desync and shift audio to match. If it's a progressive thing, you may have to do it multiple times and it's a lot of work.
Thanks. When I have time I'll look at re-recording episode one to fix it.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

The Undead Parish, Part one

The parish has been split into two parts because it's a suprisingly complicated area once you start looking at it in depth. In this section we get to the second bonfire. The second section will be uploaded later tonight/early tomorrow morning.

Pyrogenesis
Feb 19, 2013

Is there any Dark Souls video I will not watch?

No. There isn't one.

Anyway, aiming at the base of the Hellkite's tail rather than the tip is a bit easier, it doesn't wobble that much.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Undead Parish Part 2
The church, the Gargoyles and multiplayer. I've sort of used the Gargoyles as a demo-boss, so you see rather a lot of them. Future bosses will only show one play through of them.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

After a brief diversion to visit old friends, we descend into the Lower Undead Burg and face the Capra Demon, unlocking the depths.

How I learnt to stop worrying and love the bonfire, episode 6

Next stops will be a return to the Undead Asylum, a detour through the woods and then finally, into the depths.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Angrymog, would you be able to update your OP with the links to new videos as you post them please? It makes it a lot easier for folks to see if you've posted a new video, even if they aren't necessarily reading the whole thread.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Will do.

Minor hiatus as I've been busy playing DS2, but will have an episode up at the weekend: Sidequests before the Depths and Blight town.

Edit: And done. Sorry, the other forum I normally post on has a 10 hour window for editting posts; forgot that this one doesn't.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Apr 1, 2014

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Yapping Eevee posted:

I'd hardly call it expert, but it's something I've mulled over a bit. :) It's kind of surprising how much impact one boss in particular has.

Aaagg :justpost: it already

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

:stare: What? I didn't say I was making a video, only that I'd be willing to guest in one. I'm not some LP superstar who has an Elgato or whatever it is you need to record PS3 footage.

Besides, discussing the relationship between bosses from the two games should probably wait until we've seen more of this game's, don't you think?

Migeman
Aug 1, 2011
I only found this thread today. It's really nice to see someone with lots a knowledge play this game. I thought I knew about things in the opening areas. I've learnt quite a bit so far, I'm quite excited about the rest of the LP. Good stuff.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Migeman posted:

I only found this thread today. It's really nice to see someone with lots a knowledge play this game. I thought I knew about things in the opening areas. I've learnt quite a bit so far, I'm quite excited about the rest of the LP. Good stuff.
Glad that you've enjoyed the videos so far. :)

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice

Yapping Eevee posted:

I'd be willing to guest in one.

I thought I'd throw my hat into the ring here as well. I'm on my first play-through of Dark Souls, and if you want someone to ask dumb questions while you play I am that guy.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I've been enjoying this Dark Souls journey- this LP actually inspired me to do a lot of research about games, difficulty, and fairness. Is there any chance of another update?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Glad it inspired you, and I'll be doing one this weekend - been terribly distracted by DS2, real life (restuctures are not fun) and faffing around in RPGmaker.

Edit - Dressei - sorry, didn't see your post. Guess you're well past the dumb questions stage, but if you're still interested could probably set up a skype call for a few sessions.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 09:50 on May 15, 2014

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
It's not an average gamer's Dark Souls game until you've cut yourself off from a critical merchant because you accidentally attacked one by picking up the controller one-handed while talking on the phone. :doh:

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I guess you killed him rather than ran away?

Anyway, as promised, Episode 7 is up.

Prologue to the Depths and Return to the Undead Asylum part one
In this video I prepare for the Depths and Blighttown by getting the large ember (to upgrade my weapons past +5), unlocking Pyromancy and getting the Rusted Ring so lower Blight town isn't too terrible.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
The butchers are indeed parryable, but not when they're using the hand Angrymog/Madcat tried to demonstrate on. As shown, that's their grab attack. :sweatdrop:

I'm not sure if the Sack itself is an example of this, but it can be used to point out something interesting. Killing all instances of certain non-respawning enemies will force the last one to give you all of that enemy's drops that you haven't gotten before. If the first butcher randomly drops a Sack, the second one is no longer guaranteed to drop one. (This behaviour was added to certain enemies as the result of a patch, I believe.)

I wonder if you can actually free our fiery friend with a regular attack, using pinpoint precision and positioning. There's no reason to risk doing so, but I'd like to see someone manage it.

The trading trigger is reloading the area, so you can just sit at the nearby bonfire, trade and then walk off the cliff. This is particularly useful in the PC version, which forces you to sit through the various logos before reaching the main menu again. (Just be careful to pick up your souls first, okay? Naturally, this is of more use after the first playthrough due to the lack of enemies between the two points on your original trip through the area.)

Having not played DSII yet, the little tidbits about how controls and timings have changed amuse me. :allears:

The Black Knights are in my opinion one of the easier monsters to parry, provided you know which of their swings to try it on. They're one of the few enemies I can parry with reasonable reliability; backstabs are certainly the safer option though.

The other main tip for fighting the Stray Demon is that you're not 100% safe when you're behind him. :ssh: A bleed weapon is an absolute must, because otherwise it will take you forever at this stage in the game (even with a decently upgraded weapon).

I actually hadn't heard quite a lot of the dialogue in this episode, particularly the clerical stuff. Could never seem to get Petrus to say that last bit.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Yapping Eevee posted:

The Black Knights are in my opinion one of the easier monsters to parry, provided you know which of their swings to try it on. They're one of the few enemies I can parry with reasonable reliability; backstabs are certainly the safer option though.
I'm terribly chicken when it comes to parrying large weapons - Silver Knights are easy, but I chicken out vs. Black Knights. I was seriously pleased with my 'Paladin in Hell' playthrough when I managed to 100% parry Havel.

quote:

I actually hadn't heard quite a lot of the dialogue in this episode, particularly the clerical stuff. Could never seem to get Petrus to say that last bit.
The trigger is really finnicky I think - Rhea has to have left, and you need to have gone to the depths but not cleared it, and Petrus doesn't say any of that unless you've paid Lautrec for his tip.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 10:26 on May 20, 2014

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Angrymog posted:

I'm terribly chicken when it comes to parrying large weapons - Silver Knights are easy, but I chicken out vs. Black Knights. I was seriously pleased with my 'Paladin in Hell' playthrough when I managed to 100% parry Havel.

The trigger is really finnicky I think - Rhea has to have left, and you need to have gone to the depths but not cleared it, and Petrus doesn't say any of that unless you've paid Lautrec for his tip.

Silver Knights are probably the best way to learn parrying, yes. And I can understand that, given the consequences for failure. It takes a much better player than myself to get it right all the time, even in PvE. (You have no idea how pleased with myself I was when my SL1 character killed a certain someone with only ripostes. :allears: That was some freaky luck.)

And of course, that trigger business all requires you not to have kicked Lautrec off the cliff at the earliest opportunity. :devil: Not to mention his asking price is pretty steep for just some extra dialogue. It's 50*SL, I think.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I can not parry anything with a spear. swords, clubs, axes, hammers, entire church towers, you name it; no problem. but spears an their ilk just mess me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Yapping Eevee posted:

I wonder if you can actually free our fiery friend with a regular attack, using pinpoint precision and positioning. There's no reason to risk doing so, but I'd like to see someone manage it.

The first time I got there was before I'd learned why you don't stream your first playthrough of a Dark Souls game. Everyone in the call and chat was warning me not to attack the barrel, particularly since I'd had to spend so long grinding just to get that far and I was using a mid-game weapon with a pretty high value for its scaling stat because I really had no clue what I was doing. I hit the barrel just to spite them, and I'm pretty sure Laurentius took the hit too. He didn't seem to mind all that much. Maybe a patch since then changed how much damage you can do to him without making him aggressive.

• Locked thread