Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Angrymog posted:

I guess you killed him rather than ran away?

Actually it was Reah and her entourage at the Firelink Shrine, and I had completely forgotten that you can get Oswald to make people not-mad at you anymore. So I restarted.

Luckily I was only at the Depths at that point, so it didn't take long to get caught up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I'm working through your videos; is there a way you can make them brighter? Because they're darker than a carload of assholes for me.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

SubponticatePoster posted:

I'm working through your videos; is there a way you can make them brighter? Because they're darker than a carload of assholes for me.
Will see if I can do anything about the ones which are already on Youtube and remember to turn my brightness up before recording the next session.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Appreciate it. I know the game well so I'm not lost as to what things are, but sometimes the screen is pretty much black.

e: oh god you have CoH videos, did you ever play with the goon group(s)?

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 24, 2014

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

SubponticatePoster posted:

Appreciate it. I know the game well so I'm not lost as to what things are, but sometimes the screen is pretty much black.

e: oh god you have CoH videos, did you ever play with the goon group(s)?

No, I was mainly with a couple of RPGnet based RP groups or solo. RIP CoH :( (Though based on the Devchats that have been done recently, I'm starting to think it closed down when the going was good - the ever escalating powerscale of the things they had planned sounded very meh to me.)

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I haven't forgotten this, and will have the depths episode out by next Sunday.

I've been a mix of depressed and too busy with things that had to be done, leaving me with little time or energy for things I wanted to do, and when I did have time I spent it on things that didn't require more effort than necessary.

Migeman
Aug 1, 2011
It's okay, when I did my God of War LP, I ended up not updating for nearly a month because of real life things.

It's worth the wait, these have been fun videos to watch, really informative. Looking forward to it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The :airquote: Normal Person :airquote: playthrough with someone who knows what they are doing behind the helm, and not just "I'm streaming this blind with no editing!" or something has been pretty nice to watch. The hardest part will probably separating all those things the game has beaten into your muscle memory and what was something you have no goddamned clue about at first. (Longsword? I always thought it was amazing I didn't drop it asap what are you talking about?.... DKS1 Longsword moveset, I miss you...)

So when your life isn't spin kicking you in the face, then you can get back to it.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

And we're up - delay was due to technical difficulties, namely having run another backup over my backup save then using that to restore from. Fortunately I had another backup so only had to replay though a small bit rather than the entire game up to this point.

I turned my ingame brightness up so I hope it's easier to see what's happening.

Episode 08 The Depths with bonus Hot Rats.
Both the short and long routes through the depths, a demonstration of the Cursed status and a humanity farming loop.

Re: Muscle memory - you don't see too much of it in the video, but I kept getting confused by the bow controls expecting them to work like Dark Souls 2 bows and missing ripostes because I was waiting for them to fall over.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jul 28, 2014

Migeman
Aug 1, 2011
Hoorah you're back with a video.

As much as I like the starting sections of DS1 I don't like revisiting the asylum and I completely detest the depths. I can't stand the basilisks at all they put me off. I don't like the boss because I find it really boring and long.

I also know what you mean about muscle memory but it's the other way around for me, I cannot play DS2 well at all. I'm awful at it, DS and DKS it's fine, I can do my fair share of parrying and whatnot but when it comes to 2 it goes all out the window, as does any sort of skill I have in the other souls.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Migeman posted:

Hoorah you're back with a video.

As much as I like the starting sections of DS1 I don't like revisiting the asylum and I completely detest the depths. I can't stand the basilisks at all they put me off. I don't like the boss because I find it really boring and long.

Interesting. I class the depths as one of the very few decent sewer levels in a game.

What do you think of Blighttown? Personally I think it's pretty neat - I like how vertical it is - there aren't many levels that use vertical space to that extent.

Migeman
Aug 1, 2011
I actually really like Blighttown. I like the kind of boardwalk vertical poison sections, I like being able to knock dudes off the sides of things. It's probably why I like Valley of Defilement so much in Demon's Souls. I feel like I have to be on my toes more in that kind of area.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The thing I despise about blight town are the endless respawning bugs. They don't do much damage overall, but are infuriating to get rid off if they are at a higher altitude than the player is. Especially if the weapon used only has horizontal swings. That and the fact that they respawn and are annoying bastards that distract you while you're focussing on the bigger dangerous enemies.

That and the darkness. I really dislike the dark levels in this game where your vision gets reduced to a few meters around you. It's not as bad as the Tomb level, but it's still obnoxious.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I was actually pretty okay with Upper blight town (Except for those Dart mother fuckers. I'd hate to imagine going through with no spider shield). I only died a few times in Upper Blight Town, and two out of three non toxic related deaths were due to insane glitches such as "Block attack with back to a stone wall... Clip through floor into pit" and "Kill enemy with sword, fly 50 feet horizontally through the air to my death". There was also one bridge (not a moving bridge) that would always have me "stick" trying to walk across it from one direction, then teleport me three feet to the side with one foot hanging over the edge, but never quite killed me.

I agree with gently caress Mosquitoes though. I was so glad I had picked up Promancy and Combust because gently caress Slimes Even If They Never Hurt Me (God, I miss being able to actually tank damage. Everything in the Sequel HURTS SO BAD).

It really, really helped that ladders tended to be marked with torches, and I had the FPS fix though.

Now, LOWER Blight town? gently caress that place. Because even going back to it late game, with the Gold Hemmed stuff, and a poisonbite ring, and a rusty iron ring, you can still hardly get anywhere without getting poisoned if you travel more than 15 feet at a time. Just from sheer ANNOYANCE in how it's trying to kill you even if overall it was nowhere near as dangerous as upper blighttown.

EDIT: vvv Oh yeah. Just because it did not quite live up to it's reputation for me, does not change the fact Blight Town is the biggest slog (even literally) in the game.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 28, 2014

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Section Z posted:

and two out of three non toxic related deaths were due to insane glitches such as "Block attack with back to a stone wall... Clip through floor into pit" and "Kill enemy with sword, fly 50 feet horizontally through the air to my death".

Oh God, you too? Blighttown seems like the glitchiest place in the game. I walked past a bonfire at one point to see if anything was past it and got stuck in a corner of the wall. Adventuring through that place was like playing a game of pinball with myself as the ball.

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
Meow Mix Meow Mix please reconsider.
I'm not a big fan or upper or lower Blighttown, in part due to the spike in difficulty that likes to manifest in the club-wielding guys and the massive irritation of having to track down and murder every last toxic dart spitter in the place. Meanwhile lower Blighttown has the annoying mosquitos, poison swamp and some boulder lobbing jerks just for added fun. On the other hand, I really love the boss of the area. She's a ton of fun to deal with, especially with melee. That said, I like getting the place over and done with as quickly as possible so I can move onto more fun things.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

There's a branch in upper Blighttown (I think on the way back up to Firelink) that leads to the Sealer's set. You can cross it one way, but it almost always sends you plummeting to your doom on the way back - there's something dodgy about the surface hitboxes on it. :(

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Angrymog posted:

There's a branch in upper Blighttown (I think on the way back up to Firelink) that leads to the Sealer's set. You can cross it one way, but it almost always sends you plummeting to your doom on the way back - there's something dodgy about the surface hitboxes on it. :(

gently caress THAT BRANCH. That thing has killed me more times than the poison darts.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Episode 09 - Poison, platforms and hanzo steel.

We begin the descent into Blight town, finishing at the first bonfire, and picking up the Shadow set and Iaito along the way.

Essential equipment for a blight town are throwing knives, the Spider shield, the Rusted Iron ring and some purple moss.

Note: Apologies for the audio desync in places. I did two seperate recordings and it was in both of them.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The only good thing about the Mosquitoes, is making throwing knives feel useful instead of "These are cool but I have no real reason to ever use them".

I also had decent luck taking potshots with my crossbow, if they did not start off right in my face or directly above my head like they do some spots.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Mosquitos are easy to handle and account for once you get in the mind set of "There is a fifty percent chance of one being right behind me or coming up close to me, so I may as well take a swing." Schrodinger's Mosquito, if you will.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I'm glad I didn't play when the mosquitos spawned indefinitely - would have driven me wild.

I do find throwing knives handy at times, especially the poison ones, though they aren't as useful or as good as the DS2 ones due to not scaling with dexterity.

In other news I'm going to be streaming a couple of test runs through the next part on Wednesday, probably around 7 or 8 PM UK time.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I'm starting to stream my practice run of the lower half of upper Blight town.

http://www.hitbox.tv/angrymog

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 6, 2014

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Angrymog posted:

double nine posted:

gently caress THAT BRANCH. That thing has killed me more times than the poison darts.

You can avoid falling off by simply rolling over the problem spot.

threedestinos
Jun 20, 2014

There is clearly something wrong here.
I can't seem to put my opposable thumb on it....
I see your Halberd +7 and i'm looking to upgrade mine right now as i've been using a divine +5 Uchigatana but I now have the stats to wield my Zweihander and my Gravelord Sword. Suggestions on how to proceed weapon wise?

Great tip on the Rusted Iron Ring, btw. Time/Life saver.

threedestinos
Jun 20, 2014

There is clearly something wrong here.
I can't seem to put my opposable thumb on it....

Dragonwagon posted:

You can avoid falling off by simply rolling over the problem spot.

I think i also got stuck on this spot (if it's the branch that overhangs that first part where the guys shoot toxic darts at you) I read a thing that said you have to RUN over it, not walk over it and it has worked for me. Sometimes it takes reckless abandon instead of caution, i suppose.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

threedestinos posted:

I see your Halberd +7 and i'm looking to upgrade mine right now as i've been using a divine +5 Uchigatana but I now have the stats to wield my Zweihander and my Gravelord Sword. Suggestions on how to proceed weapon wise?

Great tip on the Rusted Iron Ring, btw. Time/Life saver.

I haven't used the gravelord sword at all, but I do know that the Zweihander is good fun - it'll literally flatten most things you hit with it. If you've been using an uchigatana though the speed difference might take a bit of getting used to.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Next episode is recorded, and will be editted and posted tomorrow. Thanks to the practice runs I streamed, I was able to do it in one take :)

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Episode 10 - , Blight Town, Part 2.

Our descent into the swamp continues, picking up the Wanderer set and Falchion, the Eagle shield the Whip and most importantly, the Power Within pyromancy.

One take. Bit of desynch unfortunately, but I think I caught it.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Neat, I didn't know the trick with luring the dogs to their doom.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

They're just insanely stupid.

edit. Although it makes editting a total pain, I think I'm going to get Fraps to start splitting up the video again maybe having it in 4GB chunks will stop it desynching.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 14, 2014

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Angrymog posted:

Episode 10 - , Blight Town, Part 2.

Our descent into the swamp continues, picking up the Wanderer set and Falchion, the Eagle shield the Whip and most importantly, the Power Within pyromancy.

One take. Bit of desynch unfortunately, but I think I caught it.

Shortly after you get the whip, around the 24 minute mark, as you're going back down the pair of ladders that you skipped by falling, I saw a glowing treasure on the other side of the wall. Do you know what that is?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Peanut3141 posted:

Shortly after you get the whip, around the 24 minute mark, as you're going back down the pair of ladders that you skipped by falling, I saw a glowing treasure on the other side of the wall. Do you know what that is?

That's the Sealer set which is at the other end of the branch of DOOM we were talking about earlier. You get it on the way back up to Firelink.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Live now with a couple of practice runs of Blight Town swamp

Thanks for watching and commenting. :)

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 9, 2014

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Need to buy a new case fan for my PC - the bearings have gotten so bad in the current one that the sound picks up pretty badly on the mic at the moment. It's a laziness issue, not a finance issue - will hopefully rememember to get one this weekend.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

If it's a constant buzz, I think most audio editing software has a noise filtering option where you can provide a sample of the noise. Check the tech support fort for more details.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

pun pundit posted:

If it's a constant buzz, I think most audio editing software has a noise filtering option where you can provide a sample of the noise. Check the tech support fort for more details.

It's no longer steady - I have used that setting in the past in audacity, but I'm also not keen on the idea of stressing the PC out too much when the cooling is playing up.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

New fan, new year new motivation to finish this thing.

Streaming a lower blight town practice run, and will record tomorrow. If you see me space truckin' on steam tomorrow yell at me.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

And it LIVES!

Episode 11 - Lower blighttown and Chaos Witch Queelag.

What I'm thinking of doing once we're past Sens is more of a 'particularly tricky bits', secrets and set of videos rather than a room by room playthrough, because by the time anyone has gotten past Sens the game has unveiled most of its nasty tricks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself
If an LP is resurrected and nobody comments, is it still alive? :iiam: Bumping because I completely missed this; I was on vacation when you updated, heh.

The greatclub is a pretty great club. Aesthetically it's a log with a handle, what's not to love? It also has the highest possible AR if you make it Enchanted/Occult and then have 99 in their respective stats. Granted it's split damage so that's probably not a great plan, but if you have to see 4-digit numbers fly out of Hollows, that's the way to do it. In any case it's still probably the best damage-for-weight if you don't get lucky farming for large clubs.

Interesting way to get the Chloranthy Ring. I'll probably start using your method; I usually got on the ring above it and went by my shadow. Works pretty well but you do lose most of your health that way (DS1 has percentile fall damage so it won't kill you, unlike a similar drop in DS2). You did miss a great opportunity to "show" how tedious it is to go back up the Great Hollow. ;) I did it once for early-game Dragon Covenant shenanigans.

You had some pretty terrible luck with Quelaag, heh. It reminds me of the first couple times I ever tried fighting her; she's actually kind of intimidating: she's about as tall as the Taurus Demon but bigger around, and the spider leg clacking is really loud, plus it's easy to panic and get boxed in by the lava sprays. I actually wimped out and just kept rolling away and blasting her with Heavy Soul Arrows, heh. In true Souls fashion eventually you figure out the tricks (like the blind spot alongside her arms), and if push comes to shove she's still a demon; lightning ruins her day. It's not for nothing that Domnhall sells 3 gold pine resins and a high base damage enchantable weapon right before a dragon and a demon series of bosses if you need 'em.

Angrymog posted:

What I'm thinking of doing once we're past Sens is more of a 'particularly tricky bits', secrets and set of videos rather than a room by room playthrough, because by the time anyone has gotten past Sens the game has unveiled most of its nasty tricks.

Honestly it sounds like editing to show the choice bits is probably more work than editing it down to one run of the area (plus deaths, of course!), and more content is always good. Your call, though.

• Locked thread