Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Other things that may hurt Northwestern's chances of winning the Big Ten:

• Being Northwestern

This is actually a very subtle and clever plot by our SAT overlords. Their plan is to convince the other 13 teams that unions are cool so they all unionize, then yell, "PSYCH!" and not form one of their own - leaving the path to the Big 10 championship wide open for them.

This time, The Brain will win, you'll see!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Teams I am worried about winning the Big Ten
-One that starts Kain Coulter
-One that is somehow unable to recruit Chicago despite being right loving there
-One that can only consistently beat Iowa

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
:effort:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

you fuckers just wait

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

you fuckers just wait

Northwestern getting good at football would be one of the signs of the Apocalypse. They win a naitonal championship, and the world gets destroyed in a hail of brimstone and locusts.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

As long as the hail waits until *after* the end of overtime in the championship game, I'll take that deal.

I've got a question. I've heard some people off the back of the NRLB finding that the players are employees claiming that this means the IRS could/would come along and declare athletic scholarships a form of income paid to an employee, and start expecting athletes to pay income tax on them. Is this just barrack-room lawyering or could there be something to it?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Trin Tragula posted:

As long as the hail waits until *after* the end of overtime in the championship game, I'll take that deal.

I've got a question. I've heard some people off the back of the NRLB finding that the players are employees claiming that this means the IRS could/would come along and declare athletic scholarships a form of income paid to an employee, and start expecting athletes to pay income tax on them. Is this just barrack-room lawyering or could there be something to it?

While they probably could consider scholarships income, they'll probably declare it as untaxable income and just keep going.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

kayakyakr posted:

While they probably could consider scholarships income, they'll probably declare it as untaxable income and just keep going.

My employer paid for my masters and my MBA. Every cent of that was tax free. Employers providing tuition assistance and scholarships is a pretty standard benefit for professional jobs. The IRS has rules in place for that kind of stuff already.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
Ohio State's synchronized swimming team just won the national championship. Congratulations especially to AD Gene Smith on all your hard work, I hope you enjoy your $18K bonus.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Spacemonkey57 posted:

Ohio State's synchronized swimming team just won the national championship. Congratulations especially to AD Gene Smith on all your hard work, I hope you enjoy your $18K bonus.

Calm down bro, that's class warfare! Enjoy your free degree and like it!

There are far too many people that think like that. But student athletes are sorta like mine workers before unions. Living in the company town, paid with company scrip (the degree), can be fired if they get hurt.

Spork o Doom
May 31, 2011

effectual posted:

There are far too many people that think like that. But student athletes are sorta like mine workers before unions. Living in the company town, paid with company scrip (the degree), can be fired if they get hurt.

It's the whole 'kicked out if you don't/can't perform on the field part that really bothers me. They should be obliged to let those kids finish out their scholarship even if they don't stay on the team. Especially if they get hurt playing football. I mean what the hell, that's straight up morally indefensible.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

effectual posted:

But student athletes are sorta like mine workers before unions.

The hyperbole nearly killed me.

President Harding once threatened to conduct air strikes against strike miners. College football labor issues are to miner's labor issues what a dead housecat is to a robotic panther 500 feet tall with laser eyes.

Sash! fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 15, 2014

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I had a long effort post typed up why you are being dumb, but I think the Sash! next to the post will let people know that. Its not a perfect or even accurate analogy, but to pretend that just because their plight isn't as bad means it isn't bad is still pretty dumb.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Miners had ugly wives/girlfriends too iirc so it was definitely a real bummer for them.

Edit: like compared to football players

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

effectual posted:

Isn't it just 80% free?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

swickles posted:

I had a long effort post typed up why you are being dumb, but I think the Sash! next to the post will let people know that. Its not a perfect or even accurate analogy, but to pretend that just because their plight isn't as bad means it isn't bad is still pretty dumb.

You know, it is possible to draw such a preposterous analogy that it just looks ridiculous. Comparing a few thousand guys who may not be getting properly compensated to an armed insurrection that took a century to sort out and cost thousands of lives is, well, dumb.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sash! posted:

You know, it is possible to draw such a preposterous analogy that it just looks ridiculous. Comparing a few thousand guys who may not be getting properly compensated to an armed insurrection that took a century to sort out and cost thousands of lives is, well, dumb.

No analogy is perfect. You're only being so pedantic because you know you are standing for an indefensible position. Trying to trivialize college football players as "a few thousand guys who may not be getting properly compensated" is an incredible understatement considering what they actually go through.

The hypobole nearly killed me.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Chichevache posted:

No analogy is perfect. You're only being so pedantic because you know you are standing for an indefensible position. Trying to trivialize college football players as "a few thousand guys who may not be getting properly compensated" is an incredible understatement considering what they actually go through.

The hypobole nearly killed me.

The difference is that the college players knowingly and willingly entered into the contract of playing football in exchange for a scholarship and an education. They are getting exactly what they were promised. They were under no obligation to play college football, and had plenty of other options.

The odd thing about this whole situation is that the anger about their "exploitation" doesn't come from the players themselves, for the most part. It is largely outsiders doing most of the agitation.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Yes because 17 year olds know perfectly what they're getting mixed up with, and have plenty of other options to become potential millionaires in a few years. Like gangs!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

The difference is that the college players knowingly and willingly entered into the contract of playing football in exchange for a scholarship and an education. They are getting exactly what they were promised.
That's a funny joke, are you Colin Quinn

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Hello 18 year old, please ruin your body for life for this very valuable degree in Communications.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I wonder if UNC football players have gained valuable tools for the future from the "education" they were promised

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
While I am embarrassed that UNC employed a professor like Julius N'yangoro, and completely agree that it's the utmost charge of the university to provide the highest quality academic instruction, I honestly doubt that one or two sub-par classes taught by a single professor, out the entirety of their college education, collectively handicapped the respective educations of our football players for life. Hausfield L.L.P. has done an effective job attempting to link the situation in the media to the unionization movement, a cause I support, but not at the cost of giving credence to Mary Willingham's multitude of incredibly dubious claims, or her "research" that is at best spurious, and at worst fabricated

edit: fixed link

swizz fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 15, 2014

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

The difference is that the college players knowingly and willingly entered into the contract of playing football in exchange for a scholarship and an education. They are getting exactly what they were promised.
But sometimes they don't. Many players who sign scholarship papers don't know that the scholarship is for one year at a time and if their coach oversigns that their scholarship can be taken away from them on a whim.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

But sometimes they don't. Many players who sign scholarship papers don't know that the scholarship is for one year at a time and if their coach oversigns that their scholarship can be taken away from them on a whim.

True. There are problems that need to be corrected. The current state of affairs is not good. I personally don't think the way to fix the problems is to blow the whole thing up, however.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Why would the players having a union blow the whole thing up? They do work for a huge company with tremendous influence and every group of workers should have their interests represented.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Why would the players having a union blow the whole thing up? They do work for a huge company with tremendous influence and every group of workers should have their interests represented.

It wouldn't, necessarily. I'm not opposed to the concept of a players' union. Turning the players into professionals would blow it up.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

The NCAA and it's lobbyists are basically using the possibility of the players being able to be "professionals" as the reason they should take no steps in the right direction. So gently caress 'em. Union up, at least get your scholarship guaranteed, get medical care guaranteed, and be able to get some cash so you don't have to eat loving dorm food for 4 years. Maybe be able to buy a car or some poo poo after college?

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Oh no the poor unfortunate parasites, won't someone think of the plight of the parasites!

quote:

X. YOU MUST KEEP THE CIRCLE UNBROKEN.
College majors like Exercise Science and General Education have long been assailed by critics as crip-course degrees, but shadow boosters see them as a vital way to perpetuate the cycle. If a player finishes out his eligibility and has no feasible future in the pros, he might return home and become a nearby high school coach. It doesn't matter if it's junior high or seven-on-seven camps; each means a new brand ambassador for the program.

"You win the gym teachers, and you can go a long way. That's why all those basket-weaving degrees are so important, because we need 'em on both ends. You need 'em to keep the kids qualified, and you need 'em to produce guys who can go back and coach and teach and help us."

It doesn't hurt that the system produces agents who often become the most powerful male influence in a young athlete's life. And there is, of course, a fiscal incentive for the ex-athlete to help steer future players in the same direction he went. The bag man doesn't expect any coach to push 100 percent of his Division I-worthy talent to any one particular place, let alone his alma mater, but rather pick spots for the big ones.

"Kids are going to grow up liking teams for one reason or another, but when it comes time to start seriously talking to them, you need as many folks as you can get. Mama wins almost every time. Mama's most important. But you get coaches with ties to the school, then you get one person who has all those kids' attention."

From The Bag Man Interview about bribes and immoral behavior inherent in every NCAA program. Even the "99% that don't go to the pros" are designed to become broken down tools for the machine.

But yes, lets again weep for the parasites.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Now the NCAA is throwing the 'student-athletes' a bone: unlimited meals and snacks. I guess they finally felt some embarrassment when the star player for UConn basketball talked after their championship about how he went to bed hungry most nights because he couldn't afford food?

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/10787521/ncaa-legislative-council-approves-expanded-meal-allowance

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FlamingLiberal posted:

Now the NCAA is throwing the 'student-athletes' a bone: unlimited meals and snacks. I guess they finally felt some embarrassment when the star player for UConn basketball talked after their championship about how he went to bed hungry most nights because he couldn't afford food?

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/10787521/ncaa-legislative-council-approves-expanded-meal-allowance

I'm betting this is a response to the Arian Foster story about his coach bringing him tacos.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

FlamingLiberal posted:

:lol:Makes this post even funnier.

Sash! posted:

Just a bunch of pampered students. :jerkbag:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I believe you may know very little about the coal strikes.

Step back and think about how "sometimes I didn't get enough to eat," which is bad and wrong, may not be as bad as "50 miners died in a mine cave in after five days of 12 hour shifts and management went 'well there's plenty of Irish.'"

Also, you know I've been supporting the idea of outright professional college football for, like, ten years right?

Sash! fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 16, 2014

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.

quote:

jared lorenzen ‏@JaredLorenzen22 6m

I'll tell u what the NCAA really lucked out that I don't have any eligibility left.

:allears:

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

He brings a fair point. If he didn't go hungry, how the gently caress did Shabazz?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Sash! posted:

I believe you may know very little about the coal strikes.

Step back and think about how "sometimes I didn't get enough to eat," which is bad and wrong, may not be as bad as "50 miners died in a mine cave in after five days of 12 hour shifts and management went 'well there's plenty of Irish.'"

Also, you know I've been supporting the idea of outright professional college football for, like, ten years right?

All we are saying is that you are taking an offhand comment that included the use of the phrase "sort of like" way too seriously.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

swickles posted:

All we are saying is that you are taking an offhand comment that included the use of the phrase "sort of like" way too seriously.

He provided too much evidence for his argument then, with the allusions of company housing and scrip!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

The winner of the next Super Bowl needs to sign him to a one day contract so he can get a ring. :allears:

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Just because the lady next to you is slumped over dead due to miscut puffer fish doesn't mean you can't complain about the hair in your soup or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

"Student athletes have it kinda bad, huh"

"Oh yeah? 9/11"

• Locked thread