Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

"Hey the the Ohio State University AD got paid $18K bonus because of the work of the synchronized swimming team."

"Oh yeah? Penn State's athletic director facilitated the rape of children."

Obviously our priorities are out of order. Burn Penn State.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Gerund posted:

"Hey the the Ohio State University AD got paid $18K bonus because of the work of the synchronized swimming team."

This is a great example of a flawed argument with a correct conclusion. C+

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I say burn Penn State just because they ruined college hockey.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Why do we need a reason to burn Penn State

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Febreeze posted:

burn Penn State

Yep

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

and what the hell is a nitanny

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Gerund posted:

Can we also extend this to Penn State alumni who have consistently lovely opinions

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Rasczak posted:

Can we also extend this to Penn State alumni who have consistently lovely opinions

Only if they are relevant to loving JoePa and anything else regarding downplaying the rapes

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

No Butt Stuff posted:

An Algonquin word?

Might as well be asking what a...pick a word is.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sash! posted:

An Algonquin word?

Might as well be asking what a...pick a word is.

What does it mean though?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Chichevache posted:

There's no direct translation, but roughly, "tough life".

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Chichevache posted:

Most likely "single mountain."

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Chichevache posted:

"boy rape"

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Chichevache posted:

I reported this question to my supervisor. There's nothing more I'm responsible for doing.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

No Butt Stuff posted:

I guess this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Nittany

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

"single mountain"

:geno:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

That's probably the closest we're going to get to the old urban legend of the geographical feature called in the local language something like "Your Finger, You Idiot", isn't it?

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Trin Tragula posted:

That's probably the closest we're going to get to the old urban legend of the geographical feature called in the local language something like "Your Finger, You Idiot", isn't it?

... isn't that a Discworld joke? :v:

Apparently there's a good chance the Yucatán's modern name means something along the lines of "I don't understand" though.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The Grand Tetons after named after a French slang word for titties.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Crazy Ted posted:

The Grand Tetons after named after a French slang word for titties.

They're not the only ones.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mark Emmert's comments about this new food regulation change are completely insufferable. All of a sudden those rules are 'absurd' despite him never talking about it before that I'm aware of. I really think the Shabazz Napier comments are what prompted this. Before that I didn't hear anything. I guess you could also throw in the fact that they're under pressure thanks to the NLRB ruling to make themselves look less insane.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/10802011/mark-emmert-agrees-ncaa-rule-food-was-absurd

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

FlamingLiberal posted:

Mark Emmert's comments about this new food regulation change are completely insufferable. All of a sudden those rules are 'absurd' despite him never talking about it before that I'm aware of. I really think the Shabazz Napier comments are what prompted this. Before that I didn't hear anything. I guess you could also throw in the fact that they're under pressure thanks to the NLRB ruling to make themselves look less insane.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/10802011/mark-emmert-agrees-ncaa-rule-food-was-absurd

The funny thing is that if you want to squash unions and the threat of their formation, all the NCAA has to do is give in to the demands. Thats sounds bad but when you realize the demands are things like medical care and guaranteed scholarships, the NCAA could not only squash it but also win a huge PR victory demonstrating that they care for the players. The public push for fairness wojld be eliminae and the argument over paying players will get pushed into the forefront, and that is one area that the NCAA actually has the public support for.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

swickles posted:

The funny thing is that if you want to squash unions and the threat of their formation, all the NCAA has to do is give in to the demands. Thats sounds bad but when you realize the demands are things like medical care and guaranteed scholarships, the NCAA could not only squash it but also win a huge PR victory demonstrating that they care for the players. The public push for fairness wojld be eliminae and the argument over paying players will get pushed into the forefront, and that is one area that the NCAA actually has the public support for.
Yes but we all know they will never do that out of spite, but will instead be forced to and drag this out for 5-10 years.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Deteriorata posted:

The odd thing about this whole situation is that the anger about their "exploitation" doesn't come from the players themselves, for the most part. It is largely outsiders doing most of the agitation.

How do you know this to be true? Maybe just until recently, participants were just too afraid to come forward? They will be branded soft, disloyal by the people like you.

And who would they complain to? The NCAA doesn't have student representation. Unsurprisingly Players lack resources to hire lawyers. I remember that one UNC student was banned from a simple e-mail, no investigation. This is the power they can wield against dissatisfaction.

But then you got that interview with Foster and his teammates about going hungry. What do you think they were talking about while starving? Their love of the game.

I find it disingenuous that you can support oppression just because you claim to not hear the cries. You just choose not to listen. And PR costs money, which..

I don't it is a coincidence that free PR tools like twitter have finally given them courage to expose their predicament.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

swickles posted:

that is one area that the NCAA actually has the public support for.

Not so much. Certainly, there are a lot of outspoken people who are against it but the public opinion is probably closer to 50/50 than overwhelmingly for not paying them

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

One of the producers on ABOUT and Russilo had an interesting point about the food. He played for Stanford and said there was always more than enough food. However the walk ons and non scholarship guys didn't have access to the same meal meal plan, so they were always stealing food and stuff top give to those guys

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Early indications are that NW voted against unionizing, with something like 60-15 votes.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Stupid idiot kids

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Those kids are about to get paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaid under the table.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

kayakyakr posted:

Early indications are that NW voted against unionizing, with something like 60-15 votes.
Yeah I think the result of this was pretty obvious when we saw the coaches and admins coming out heavily, and the QB or whoever. Those kids aren't stupid; they know they will be vilified and I'm sure were threatened privately if they did unionize.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Gerund posted:

Those kids are about to get paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaid under the table.

They already did, according to that deadspin article I can't link because I'm on my phone. New iPads, among the other sudden unexplained perks that are totally unrelated to the vote.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

That'll be fun for the NCAA to 'investigate' and then say nothing bad happened

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Here's the Deadspin thing.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Even beyond the 'B scabs 4 iPads' quid pro quo, the line about the former football alumni calling the current players and threatening to freeze them out of post-football employment opportunities is the most beautiful.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Gerund posted:

Even beyond the 'B scabs 4 iPads' quid pro quo, the line about the former football alumni calling the current players and threatening to freeze them out of post-football employment opportunities is the most beautiful.

No the last bullet point about them claiming that scholarships have nothing to do with their football skills is the best.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

No the last bullet point about them claiming that scholarships have nothing to do with their football skills is the best.

Have you actually seen Northwestern play?

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
"unionizing might hurt the Wildcats in their goal of winning the Big Ten."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Gerund posted:

Or the school threatening to end the program, which is ridiculous

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

FlamingLiberal posted:

Or the school threatening to end the program, which is ridiculous

"If this store unionizes we'll have to shut it down and outsource."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

"unionizing might hurt the Wildcats in their goal of winning the Big Ten."

I wonder if being a union school would actually help recruitment.

• Locked thread