Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Idiot Wind
Sep 10, 2007

We hope anyone sees you again...

Frackie Robinson posted:

Yeah, but if we had a system where schools actually fostered an environment where these guys could actually attend classes and leave with a useful degree, it would be a good system. You'd have immensely increased the future potential of a lot of guys who'd never have had the means to attend college were it not for athletics. That's pretty decent compensation. That's root idea behind this whole system, and it's not a bad one.

In a lot of cases the only reason they got in is because of the athletics, they certainly couldn't get in (regardless of background) on the merits of their applications simply as students!

E: VVVVV Getting forced through a degree program to fulfill the requirement to be a student isn't really bettering your life in some cases. The number of unemployed college graduates should be ample evidence that a degree isn't a magic bullet to improve people, but I think I get the point you're making. The non-major sports will suffer too, but I think there's an argument to be made that those don't belong at the university any more than football/basketball do. What's the argument for college athletics in the first place? The gentleman-scholar ideal from three centuries ago? Why should being good at sports give you any sort of leg up at all?

Idiot Wind fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Idiot Wind posted:

In a lot of cases the only reason they got in is because of the athletics, they certainly couldn't get in (regardless of background) on the merits of their applications simply as students!

The kid who got into school because of athletic skill and is using it to get a degree and better his or her life (remember, college sports aren't just football and basketball) in not what is being discussed in this argument. Nobody wants to pay 100k for that guy's autograph. And those kids are the ones who will get screwed over if college sports go full semi-pro.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Frackie Robinson posted:

Yeah, but if we had a system where schools actually fostered an environment where these guys could actually attend classes and leave with a useful degree, it would be a good system. You'd have immensely increased the future potential of a lot of guys who'd never have had the means to attend college were it not for athletics. That's pretty decent compensation. That's root idea behind this whole system, and it's not a bad one.

That would be awesome if it actually worked like that, but when athletes like Richard Sherman try to take advantage of it coaches like Jim Harbaugh allegedly question their commitment to the sport and attempt to poison their careers in the NFL by characaterizing them as soft or lazy.

Again, allegedly.

*edit*
I'm trying to find the article that this was mentioned in and I can't, so take that with a grain of salt because I could have just imagined the whole ordeal.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 29, 2014

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I disagree with the parallel between graduate student instructors and college athletes made in the LA Times article, since the former derive from the university's need to employ teachers in order to fulfill its essential purpose, teaching. If a university had sufficient personnel or an alternative to in person instruction, it could and certainly would cease to employ these students in these existing positions of need. Since universities do not, graduate students are employed, paid, and consequently often have the ability to unionize.

College athletics are an ancillary function that happen to provide substantial revenues to a relatively small number of universities from a relatively small number of sports, which seems to be the basis for the claim that certain college athletes should unionize. This logic encounters problems when a sport generates less revenue because there is not a basis for employing students in that capacity. As much as I enjoy football, I do not believe that it is essential to a university and I would certainly prefer that these athletes receive employment from a minor league than from a university, at which sports - like any other student activity - should remain an amateur extra-curricular activity.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Frackie Robinson posted:

So is the answer to just give up on academics altogether and say "gently caress it, just pay them cash and drop the pretense"? That's just always struck me as a very defeatist attitude. A college education for every athlete should be a tremendous value, the fact that it's not being utilized most of the time is the real scandal. Sure, players who have no interest in or need for a college education should have other alternatives for continuing their football career, but that's not really the NCAA's fault.

Either drop the pretense or change things so they can take advantage of the great free education they're allegedly getting, but don't continue pretending that it's a fair compensation for what they're doing while working to make it close to impossible for them to take advantage of.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

MourningView posted:

Either drop the pretense or change things so they can take advantage of the great free education they're allegedly getting, but don't continue pretending that it's a fair compensation for what they're doing while working to make it close to impossible for them to take advantage of.

Remarkably, I think we're on the same page then.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

MourningView posted:

This, and also get rid of the stupid restriction on the athletes making money, from things like endorsements.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

wheez the roux posted:

To be fair to Komet, "foreign" to him is anything outside of Pennsylvania's borders.

:rolleyes: I work in academia. While the student athlete thing doesn't apply to international universities, most of those other things do, including, which was not mentioned, the contiuous undermining of the humanities in favor of STEM disciplines that bring a higher level of economic gain to the universities. A system that charges money for a university education is not necessarily a bad one, but the current arms race in the U.S. is out of control. In France, for example, free college education has resulted in a dearth of vocational skills and high youth unemployment. Just not enough jobs to go around for college educated individuals. It's a problem in the U.S., and it's a problem in Europe. Middle Eastern countries and China are dumping billions into glorified tech schools. They don't give a poo poo about the humanities, and they've completely missed the point of a university education. I don't know how many faculty they can draw to teach at these universities, since tenure and intellectual freedom are important factors for university professors.

So chide me all you want, but understand that I'm plugged into this better than any of you.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Thoguh posted:

The kid who got into school because of athletic skill and is using it to get a degree and better his or her life (remember, college sports aren't just football and basketball) in not what is being discussed in this argument. Nobody wants to pay 100k for that guy's autograph. And those kids are the ones who will get screwed over if college sports go full semi-pro.

Which is why the union initially will only be for D1 football and basketball players.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Idiot Wind posted:

E: VVVVV Getting forced through a degree program to fulfill the requirement to be a student isn't really bettering your life in some cases. The number of unemployed college graduates should be ample evidence that a degree isn't a magic bullet to improve people, but I think I get the point you're making. The non-major sports will suffer too, but I think there's an argument to be made that those don't belong at the university any more than football/basketball do. What's the argument for college athletics in the first place? The gentleman-scholar ideal from three centuries ago? Why should being good at sports give you any sort of leg up at all?

This is basically how I feel. Universities are meant to be institutions for further a persons knowledge. Which has gently caress all to do with how athletically talented a person is. Mixing the two is a strange idea, and in most cases ends up costing most universities far more than it benefits them.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Anyone want to post the Sarah Ganim article about the reading levels of college athletes. Apparently graduating from UNC gets you the ability to read at the 3rd grade level and not much else. Good thing they have access to this education!

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.

swickles posted:

Anyone want to post the Sarah Ganim article about the reading levels of college athletes. Apparently graduating from UNC gets you the ability to read at the 3rd grade level and not much else. Good thing they have access to this education!

I haven't really commented on this issue, since I don't want to appear like a total homer that defends either his university past the point of what is reasonable, or defends an obviously broken NCAA system, but there is good reason to question the research upon which Mary Willingham's claims are based, none of which was peer reviewed or even approved. The research is currently being review by an independent third-party but initial reviews have almost been uniform that serious problems exist.

Obviously, the respective debates regarding amateurism and student-athlete representation are important. I'm just putting this information out there, because the way this story has been reported has been kind of strange, and it's not entirely clear to me whether Ganim actually reviewed Willingham's research or rather just repeated her conclusions, all of which are based on her UNCG thesis that basically calls for the abolition of NCAA athletics.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

King Hong Kong posted:

College athletics are an ancillary function that happen to provide substantial revenues to a relatively small number of universities from a relatively small number of sports, which seems to be the basis for the claim that certain college athletes should unionize. This logic encounters problems when a sport generates less revenue because there is not a basis for employing students in that capacity.

Which is why only athletes in revenue generating sports (football and mens basketball) would be eligible for this union if it actually happens. I don't think anyone would disagree that it is a lot harder, if not impossible to make the case that athletes in the non-revenue sports could make the claim that they are employees of a university.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Vaya con Dios!!! posted:

Lots of Little Chickens in here. I can't help but notice that almost everyone in here lamenting the death of college football is being pretty selfish in their thinking. College football might change a little or a lot, but it's not going to go away and you'll still get your entertainment.

It will likely be much different than it is in its current form, probably with far fewer schools competing (which could be a good or a bad thing). And pretty much anyone who continues to watch and support football at any level is being selfish on some level in light of the physical toll it takes on the players.

Buckhead
Aug 12, 2005

___ days until the 2010 trade deadline :(
The NHL does college prospects pretty well, which is made interesting because colleges have to compete with Canadian junior leagues and European professional leagues. Nearly all of the NHL-level prospects are drafted when they are 18. If they choose to go to college, the drafting team retains their rights until the summer after they graduate. Meaning that the team/players can collectively choose to sign when they are ready, or the player can stay all 4 years in college (which most do except the very top tier of talent). Due to amateur rules, there are some restrictions on the contact the teams and players are allowed. For example, I know players cannot attend training camp.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

astr0man posted:

Which is why only athletes in revenue generating sports (football and mens basketball) would be eligible for this union if it actually happens. I don't think anyone would disagree that it is a lot harder, if not impossible to make the case that athletes in the non-revenue sports could make the claim that they are employees of a university.

There are individual programs of football and men's basketball that lose shitloads of money. And there are also individual programs of niche sports that make money at certain schools. If you're say, a Hockey player at Minnesota, do you get to unionize? What if you're a football player at Kansas? Do you get to unionize? A basketball player at an Ivy? Do they get included?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Honestly if those universities would be better off without the football program then they should just shut it down. It's not like we HAVE to have loving 125 teams in division 1. And it shouldn't be a barrier to any of this change. Fewer programs means less opportunities to exploit the poo poo out of athletes so it can only be good.

Bear in mind I have no stake in college football even continuing to exist. I wouldn't cry myself to sleep if college football completely fell apart. Or any college sports, really.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 29, 2014

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Thoguh posted:

There are individual programs of football and men's basketball that lose shitloads of money. And there are also individual programs of niche sports that make money at certain schools. If you're say, a Hockey player at Minnesota, do you get to unionize? What if you're a football player at Kansas? Do you get to unionize? A basketball player at an Ivy? Do they get included?

That's a legitimate point and I don't really have an answer for it.

edit: but yeah I guess Quest for Glory sort of summed up how I feel about the whole thing as far as football goes, minus the part about not caring of college football goes away entirely

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Frackie Robinson posted:

It's a slippery slope.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/schools/finances/

Look how many of these athletic departments are running at a loss or breaking even and tell me how they're going to make it work if they have to share any significant portion of their profits from football. Yeah, at first you're going to have small token stipends that won't make a lot of difference. Then you'll have an inevitable escalation in compensation for players until eventually all but about 20 schools are priced out of it. Some will drop down to a lower division, others will hang on but be unable to remain competitive. At least that's how I see it.

If you look at the breakdown of expenses at the link as much as 50% of athletic department expenses fall into that nebulous "other" category. Tell me that that Other column is not filled with poo poo like depreciated value of assets and discounted student tickets. What's really telling is how little of the schools revenue is actually spent on the students in the form of scholarships.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Pro click http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/1/28/5354718/college-football-players-union-pay-for-play

Medical expenses due to injuries from playing are covered, scholarship protection, no waiting a year after transfers, NCAA should punish the culprits not the athletes. Those are the main planks in the union arguments. Aside from expenses being added to their scholarship - like other full scholarships have - there's not much talk about universities shelling out extra cash to athletes.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I think a lot of people are equating unionizing with getting paid, and that isn't the case. Currently the NCAA unilaterally makes the rules and students have little to no recourse with any punishment they are given for violations of NCAA rules. There have been tons of documented cases of unfair and unequal treatment when players break rules. Not only does the NCAA treat schools unequally, but also the players. In fact, the NCAA is notorious for coming at a school or player even harder when they appeal. Having the players have the ability to negotiate some of these rules, and have a fair and unbiased appeal process would be a huge step towards improving the college football system.

edit: beaten by the above, and I am sure the article is much more explicative than I was.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

King Hong Kong posted:

I disagree with the parallel between graduate student instructors and college athletes made in the LA Times article, since the former derive from the university's need to employ teachers in order to fulfill its essential purpose, teaching. If a university had sufficient personnel or an alternative to in person instruction, it could and certainly would cease to employ these students in these existing positions of need. Since universities do not, graduate students are employed, paid, and consequently often have the ability to unionize.

College athletics are an ancillary function that happen to provide substantial revenues to a relatively small number of universities from a relatively small number of sports, which seems to be the basis for the claim that certain college athletes should unionize. This logic encounters problems when a sport generates less revenue because there is not a basis for employing students in that capacity. As much as I enjoy football, I do not believe that it is essential to a university and I would certainly prefer that these athletes receive employment from a minor league than from a university, at which sports - like any other student activity - should remain an amateur extra-curricular activity.
Whether these people are fulfilling an "essential function of the university" or not is irrelevant.

Both grad student TA's and football players are students who do work for the university (separate from their own academic work) which brings in revenue to their institution. That's the important link between the two.

And I feel like it bears repeating that currently these players at Northwestern aren't asking for direct pay-to-play, but rather better working conditions and the ability to make money independently.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

superaielman posted:

D&D is thataway if you want an echo chamber of outrage. Cut the poo poo otherwise.

Don't be a baby there is nothing wrong with that position.

swickles posted:

I think a lot of people are equating unionizing with getting paid, and that isn't the case. Currently the NCAA unilaterally makes the rules and students have little to no recourse with any punishment they are given for violations of NCAA rules. There have been tons of documented cases of unfair and unequal treatment when players break rules. Not only does the NCAA treat schools unequally, but also the players. In fact, the NCAA is notorious for coming at a school or player even harder when they appeal. Having the players have the ability to negotiate some of these rules, and have a fair and unbiased appeal process would be a huge step towards improving the college football system.

edit: beaten by the above, and I am sure the article is much more explicative than I was.
Yeah not only the fact they aren't paid, but they really don't have any recourse (outside of just not playing at all) to deal with how the NCAA does poo poo.

Of course the problem is that there isn't much in the way of doing a national Union as it will probably be kind of unwiedly and the fact turnover is going to rather huge (because duh), is a major factor. Though if this leads to a pruning of the various programs, it could actually make it much easier.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 29, 2014

Idiot Wind
Sep 10, 2007

bawfuls posted:

Whether these people are fulfilling an "essential function of the university" or not is irrelevant.

Both grad student TA's and football players are students who do work for the university (separate from their own academic work) which brings in revenue to their institution. That's the important link between the two.

And I feel like it bears repeating that currently these players at Northwestern aren't asking for direct pay-to-play, but rather better working conditions and the ability to make money independently.

What do most grad students do that "brings revenue" as teachers? They're being paid to provide the basic service that a university is involved in providing. That is explicitly the goal of having TAs teach. How is voluntary participation in extracurricular activity at all the same? If the goal of student-athletes is to make money, why the hell are they in college at all (except because, at the moment, that's the stepping stone to pro sports)? Obviously conditions should be improved, but they just shouldn't be where they are right now. Whether they're asking for pay or not, they're asking to be treated as employees, when they just aren't employees at all.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

It's a good comparison, but as a grad student at a UC and a member of our union, I should point out that grad student researchers (i.e., folks who don't teach, but are paid via grants to research) are not under union protection. It's part of the demands during our current contract negotiations, but surprise surprise, the university system is pushing back because they want to keep exploiting yet another underpaid captive labor force. The argument is that research is inseparable from our academic work, but that's ridiculous because as Idiot Wind said upthread, it's an academic apprenticeship. Apprenticeships in most other areas are covered by (and occasionally administered by) unions.

This also applies to the topic at hand because college football is essentially an apprenticeship as well, in the vocation of professional athletics. No reason for them to not unionize.

Kill Dozed posted:

These laws vary from state to state. Some grad students can unionize and some can't. For example, they can't unionize in Ohio.

And that's also loving bullshit, but that's neither here nor there.

All of these complaints would be resolved in UAW 2865's case if the UC would let all graduate student employees unionize, like they do at 23 other public universities in California. Y'know, at the CSU's. Yes, all grad student employees are unionized there.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Idiot Wind posted:

What do most grad students do that "brings revenue" as teachers? They're being paid to provide the basic service that a university is involved in providing. That is explicitly the goal of having TAs teach. How is voluntary participation in extracurricular activity at all the same? If the goal of student-athletes is to make money, why the hell are they in college at all (except because, at the moment, that's the stepping stone to pro sports)? Obviously conditions should be improved, but they just shouldn't be where they are right now. Whether they're asking for pay or not, they're asking to be treated as employees, when they just aren't employees at all.

They would effectively become employees though. Which they probably should be.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

bawfuls posted:

Football players are not doing "work" for the university any more than any other undergraduate student is in the context of their extra-curricular activity of choice. Their activity simply has the difference of bringing in more money to the university and that money is as often as not sustaining the program rather than creating a profit. As a result, the revenue argument for unionization is irrelevant except at a relatively small number of institutions.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

I'm too dumb to have an educated, nuanced opinion about unionization so I'm just going to drop a white noise post about anything leading to colleges trending away from massive entertainment and marketing enterprises being a good thing. I'll take my probation now tia

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Idiot Wind posted:

Grad student TA's are helping to teach classes. Classes are one of the services a University provides in exchange for tuition fees. TA's are contributing to the production of that service, thus they are contributing to the collection of that revenue stream.

King Hong Kong posted:

Football players are not doing "work" for the university any more than any other undergraduate student is in the context of their extra-curricular activity of choice. Their activity simply has the difference of bringing in more money to the university and that money is as often as not sustaining the program rather than creating a profit. As a result, the revenue argument for unionization is irrelevant except at a relatively small number of institutions.
Football players (at big programs) are doing physical labor which directly brings in significant revenue for the institution. How is that not work?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
My only issue with all of this is the punishments doled out on players who try to make money on the side. That completely blows the TA versus Football Player argument out of the water. I've never heard of any institution of academia penalizing their researchers for applying their skills to earn them extra money elsewhere.

Idiot Wind
Sep 10, 2007

SporkOfTruth posted:

This also applies to the topic at hand because college football is essentially an apprenticeship as well, in the vocation of professional athletics. No reason for them to not unionize.

Maybe this is where the disconnect I'm having on the topic is, because the rhetoric on one hand is amateur student-athlete engaged in an extracurricular activity, and on the other it's being treated as employees and apprentices. The fundamental question I still can't get past is why the university (except for historical reasons) should have athletic apprentices in the first place. In the short term, I think you're probably right and that this is a good step, but I dislike the comparison still and think that athletics should be removed from the universities.

SporkOfTruth posted:

All of these complaints would be resolved in UAW 2865's case if the UC would let all graduate student employees unionize, like they do at 23 other public universities in California. Y'know, at the CSU's. Yes, all grad student employees are unionized there.

I'm sure our glorious new President will facilitate the expansion of the union, but in the short term the effect of unionizing in my department has been to create push back against research. Which doesn't mean that the union isn't a good thing (I'm also a member), but it wasn't a quick fix for grad student employees. I have doubts that unionizing is really the correct long-term answer to the problem for athletes, since it's going to take a long time for anything good to come of this (look how long it took grad students!), and in the end in comes down to protecting and monetizing the top percent of student-athletes and not to the educational mission of the university. It's not the small sports threatening this, as others have mentioned, and for good reason.

Edit:

bawfuls posted:

Grad student TA's are helping to teach classes. Classes are one of the services a University provides in exchange for tuition fees. TA's are contributing to the production of that service, thus they are contributing to the collection of that revenue stream.

Are sporting events part of the service a university should supply? Obviously they are one at the moment, but should they be?

Idiot Wind fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 29, 2014

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

bawfuls posted:

Football players (at big programs) are doing physical labor which directly brings in significant revenue for the institution. How is that not work?

They are not employees, they are students participating in an activity for which they may or may not receive scholarships just like other students receive scholarships for other reasons. If they were employees in the same way many graduate students are (a status that is separate from their role as students), then the question of unionization would probably have been resolved long ago.

Mind you, in an ideal situation, I do not think that these students should be employed, but I also think that their participation in college athletics does not generally serve them well and quite often detracts from their lives. Create a minor league for those players and let college football be for true amateurs like almost every other college sport and activity is. That will not happen in foreseeable future, but at least it is a relatively good solution compared to the stop-gap measure of employment.

Edit:

Doltos posted:

My only issue with all of this is the punishments doled out on players who try to make money on the side. That completely blows the TA versus Football Player argument out of the water. I've never heard of any institution of academia penalizing their researchers for applying their skills to earn them extra money elsewhere.

There are generally restrictions on that happening, so I'm not sure why you think it is applicable. Also, no GSI is gaining anything through teaching that they can sell. Their research is separate from their employment.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 29, 2014

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Dubar posted:

The idea of scholarship being as good as payment is like if a retail job paid you in gift certificates. Yeah, it has a monetary value, but the "cost" to the employer is a fraction of its market value. Or if a company picked their ten best employees and sent them paychecks and then sent the rest of their employees a bill instead.

Yes, paying employees in company scrip is a terribly exploitative practice that was outlawed years ago and calling NCAA football and basketball players student-athletes is an end around on that whole concept. Division I football generates $5.15 billion in revenues every year. Division I basketball generates an additional $1.3billion in revenue. These athletes are generating tremendous value for the universities they play for and being taken incredible advantage of. The share of revenue going to players in professional leagues in the US ranges in the 45-55% range depending on the league. If we say the average value of a D1 scholarship is $50,000 a year which seems like a rather high estimate IMO, you're still talking less than 10% of the revenue NCAA football makes going to the student athletes.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Thoguh posted:

A great viable change I'd love to see come out of this would be for more of the huge amount of money that is being generated through the NCAA to actually go towards athlete welfare in the form of lock-tight medical insurance, realistic stipends, post-eligibility scholarships, and long term support. The IOC and just about every national governing body for Olympic sports is just as bad or worse as the NCAA and they need the same reforms. I don't think the solution is to pay them unless you go straight up minor league. But I think the athletes should be the ones benefiting from all their effort, not a bunch of people who skim off the top.

I mean, it isn't going to happen, zero chance, but I wish it actually would.

This would be my preference as well. Medical support, a stipend, you scholarship fully guaranteed until you declare early or leave/get kicked off the team (with some sort of impartial review process to ensure coaches aren't kicking off the bad ones) that wouldn't count against the scholarship limit if the student is physically unable to play...very idealistic I know, but it'd go a long way toward making things a bit more fair.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Looking at news about tv contracts, coaches salaries, those bowl CEO's salaries, it's impossible not to think CFB makes a ton of money, and what the school does with all that money is really unknown. Embezzling it through building projects seems pretty popular.

They already count those scholarships as expenses, give it to the players, and no numbers changed on that end. Students get to pay for their own house party and entertainment, the stories will be amazing about these 18yr olds.

They'll have to pay for health care, it's appalling that they don't now actually..

I don't know why people think the money isn't there to do this, that money is going somewhere, and it should be to the participants. Football is a prestige thing as all sports is anyways, and sometimes it becomes an expensive hobby?

Where is all this money going? To unpopular sports that no one watches? Sorry go back to being a club, or pay for it yourself? Why is football/basketball responsible to subsidizing a school's expense? I very much doubt any school of even minior significance will stop running their football program, and not just change the rules to dump everything else. They are giving up billions from a ready made product.

Femur fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 29, 2014

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Femur posted:

Looking at news about tv contracts, coaches salaries, those bowl CEO's salaries, it's impossible not to think CFB makes a ton of money, and what the school does with all that money is really unknown. Embezzling it through building projects seems pretty popular.

At all but about 30 or 40 institutions across the country, that money is all spent.

This would add the largest line item on the whole AD expense sheet, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

What really needs to happen, however, is the de-coupling of college athletics from a state-supported model to a completely private model.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Idiot Wind posted:

Are sporting events part of the service a university should supply? Obviously they are one at the moment, but should they be?
It doesn't matter if they should be or not for the purposes of this discussion. As long as the university is an entity that makes money off of sports like football, then the players who's labor is creating that value deserve to be compensated for doing so.

But my previous post in response to you was intended to highlight how the work of TA's does in fact contribute to university revenue.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Title IX adds a special issue: Because the football team applicants are overwhelmingly male, per job requirements, the athletic departments may have to agree to have wages for male and female athletes line up. Either by averages, median dollars, total salary -- whatever it is, it's going to have a huge effect on women's sports because the colleges won't get away from paying the starting softball catcher $2,000 a year while giving the third-string cornerback $20,000 a year. At least, they won't without significant legislative turmoil and (likely) a court ruling.

I think this is the biggest hurdle in the process. Title IX was one of those laws that had good intentions, but the consequences a few decades after its implementation are starting to become known. Given the unique nature of football due to the large roster and facility expense, Title IX needs to be adjusted to account for these expenses if successful unionization of football players goes forward.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

King Hong Kong posted:

They are not employees, they are students participating in an activity for which they may or may not receive scholarships just like other students receive scholarships for other reasons. If they were employees in the same way many graduate students are (a status that is separate from their role as students), then the question of unionization would probably have been resolved long ago.

Mind you, in an ideal situation, I do not think that these students should be employed, but I also think that their participation in college athletics does not generally serve them well and quite often detracts from their lives. Create a minor league for those players and let college football be for true amateurs like almost every other college sport and activity is. That will not happen in foreseeable future, but at least it is a relatively good solution compared to the stop-gap measure of employment.
I didn't say they were employees, I said what they are doing is clearly work, which you had disputed for some reason.

But the classification of "student athletes" as not employees is just semantics, as has been pointed out already. They are already given compensation (though insufficient and highly restrictive as it is) in exchange for their labor on the football field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

bawfuls posted:

I didn't say they were employees, I said what they are doing is clearly work, which you had disputed for some reason.

But the classification of "student athletes" as not employees is just semantics, as has been pointed out already. They are already given compensation (though insufficient and highly restrictive as it is) in exchange for their labor on the football field.

It's akin to an internship where you showcase your skills hoping to be hired at the next level. I think most college graduates go through the same process as student athletes, wherein they go to school, work part time, and tend to gravitate towards internships to get a job in a tough job market. Uncompensated internships are starting to lose in court cases and I don't see why the NCAA is going to be any different.

• Locked thread