Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
YES! Anything that kills the NCAA or forces major changes to the current American university system is a net positive. Northwestern just became my favorite Big Ten team.

Komet posted:

The problems that plague American universities plague all universities.

They have a similarly exploitative student athlete system in other countries? A massive student loan bubble? Rankings obsessed institutions which use new construction to make up for their educational shortcomings? A culture which pushes university education as the only solution to unemployment while denigrating vocational schools? Ever decreasing amounts of public funding for higher education? Educational loans which can never be cleared for anything including bankruptcy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

wheez the roux posted:

To be fair to Komet, "foreign" to him is anything outside of Pennsylvania's borders.

It's a strange wild land out there wheez. It's filled with people who don't love Penn State. Aye, it's a strange barbaric land. Why, they even think Joe Pa should be blamed for that unfortunate incident with the children.

Toymachine posted:

Honestly, NCAA players should just shut up and stop pretending like their $120,000 full ride scholarships don't mean poo poo. Most of these guys would be in backwoods Alabama pumping gas if it wasn't for colleges offering athletic scholarships.

Maybe you and the NCAA should stop pretending that a scholarship, which can be revoked in the event of injury or poor performance, means everything when they're making millions off of the athletes.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 29, 2014

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Sash! posted:

You completely misread what he's saying: that the universities will just go "screw it, if we can't have all of it, no one gets anything."

It's a drat shame that there is no other system in the world for young athletes to compete and improve before getting to the big league. C'est la vie

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Frackie Robinson posted:

I'm not approaching this as an advocate for the athletes, I'm approaching it as a college football fan. If you're a fan of college football, this is bad news.

I'm a fan of football. College is an unrefined method of delivering football that's younger and wilder than the big leagues. I don't give a drat if the delivery system changes.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

If the NFL moves to a true minor league system, it's going to squash any sort of creative offense which will be lovely

I think this is a bit of a leap. I see where you're coming from and it's a definite possibility but that's so many steps removed from the current system that it's not worth worrying about. If/when someone tries to set up a minor league then we can worry about it.

Declan MacManus posted:

That money is not evenly distributed throughout college and most college football programs operate at a loss (and like, an actual loss, not "Pro Sports Accounting is Magical" loss). If you add salaries for 85~ scholarship players you're tacking on something on the order of a million dollars, minimum, to the operating costs of each program, which is not something that the BGSUs and the Rices of the world just have laying around.

Not to be pedantic but Rice definitely has the money for that. That said would it be so terrible for everything outside the top 30-50 teams to fold up? It's better for the university since they're likely already operating at a loss.

Frackie Robinson posted:

It's a slippery slope.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/schools/finances/

Look how many of these athletic departments are running at a loss or breaking even and tell me how they're going to make it work if they have to share any significant portion of their profits from football. Yeah, at first you're going to have small token stipends that won't make a lot of difference. Then you'll have an inevitable escalation in compensation for players until eventually all but about 20 schools are priced out of it. Some will drop down to a lower division, others will hang on but be unable to remain competitive. At least that's how I see it.

I seriously doubt you'd see any major escalation. If players start getting paid you'd immediately see the programs currently losing the most money fold. The rest would suck up the remaining talent and likely pay them 15-20k a year. You might see some select positions or recruits (QBs) get offers for more but by and large there'd be no incentive to pay them more. The top schools could offer a lower salary and still get great recruits based on their ability to get players better opportunities for future earnings.

Anyway this has me curious about the math. Let's assume there are 85 players per team that would get paid. At an average pay of 20k per year you're looking at 1.7mil per year for each school. The average HC salary has increased by more than 1.7mil in the past 5 years. There's definitely money for the players.

This made me think of a completely different reaction. College athletic expenditures have increased while academic spending has decreased over the last five years. That problem hasn't become a conversation in the wider culture but who wants to bet that paying the athletes, the mostly poor black athletes, will suddenly bring that problem to the forefront?

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jan 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

Here's the Deadspin thing.

I was wondering if there'd be a big anti-union push within the university. You've got to love the former players threatening to freeze them out of post college hiring. Mmmm that's some sweet sweet union busting.

I loving loved the bit about what the Northwestern lawyers sent them

quote:

it says college football reform will happen faster via unilateral NCAA decisions than by unionizing

• Locked thread