Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
This is really exciting, as the end of the NCAA as we know it would definitely make college football better and not ultimately kill the sport, no siree...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Sash! posted:

You completely misread what he's saying: that the universities will just go "screw it, if we can't have all of it, no one gets anything."

Yeah, you're kidding yourself if you think this won't happen at a large fraction of current D1 programs.

If this has traction (probably not yet), college football's headed back to the stone age. Maybe that'll be for the best, who knows, but it certainly doesn't bode well for the on field product.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 29, 2014

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Relentlessboredomm posted:

It's a drat shame that there is no other system in the world for young athletes to compete and improve before getting to the big league. C'est la vie

I'm not approaching this as an advocate for the athletes, I'm approaching it as a college football fan. If you're a fan of college football, this is bad news.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I'm a fan of football. College is an unrefined method of delivering football that's younger and wilder than the big leagues. I don't give a drat if the delivery system changes.

If that's where you're coming from that's fine, it's just weird to see people in this thread that I know to have rooting interests in college football act like this is great news. I know nothing's going to come of this specific effort, but it's still an omen of things to come, none of which are good for the continued existence of college football at its current level of competition.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Chichevache posted:

So your pride in your alma mater is more important to you than the interests of these athletes?

I think that health hazards notwithstanding, these athletes are pretty well taken care of.

To make my stance clear, I think in an ideal world you could keep college football more or less the way it is, but also have it coexist with an actual professional minor league, just like college baseball and the minors coexist. College shouldn't be a mandatory stop for elite players, but until the NFL changes its rules about draft eligibility there isn't a lot to be done.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 29, 2014

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Eifert Posting posted:

Yeah, this. The argument that the administrative .1% will consider anything less than total exploitation a loss and pull out is not something I expected from this board. It's literally the exact same argument that's been used to negate labor reform for centuries.

I thought this was a refuge for LF castoffs not a Young Republicans club.

It's a slippery slope.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/schools/finances/

Look how many of these athletic departments are running at a loss or breaking even and tell me how they're going to make it work if they have to share any significant portion of their profits from football. Yeah, at first you're going to have small token stipends that won't make a lot of difference. Then you'll have an inevitable escalation in compensation for players until eventually all but about 20 schools are priced out of it. Some will drop down to a lower division, others will hang on but be unable to remain competitive. At least that's how I see it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

swickles posted:

I think unionizing is the way to go. Right now, the only people talking about paying players is coming for the media and there are so many things a union or organization of players can accomplish other than pay for athletes. For one, eliminating the the three year rule. Right now it serves no purpose. Its even more ridiculous in basketball with the one year rule. Could you imagine if Lebron spent a year in college? Plenty of NBA athletes are ready right out of high school. Its a ridiculous system of collusion.

Good luck to the theoretical college athletes union getting NFL rules changed.

Edit: and the three year rule is really the crux of the issue. For all the NCAA's faults, it's the NFL's policies that are forcing these players to go to college if they want any shot at playing in the pros. The three year rule ensures that the owners have time to evaluate talent in what amounts to a free minor league system. It's just one of the nice things you can do when you're a monopoly. There's no pro developmental league because they have no incentive to create one.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jan 29, 2014

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

MourningView posted:

They are also actively encouraged to not take full advantage of those scholarships by coaches and advisers pushing them towards the easiest classes possible, a culture of rampant academic fraud that teaches them they don't actually have to try to learn anything, and insane practice/workout/film study demands that make it difficult to balance their academic interests with football.

So is the answer to just give up on academics altogether and say "gently caress it, just pay them cash and drop the pretense"? That's just always struck me as a very defeatist attitude. A college education for every athlete should be a tremendous value, the fact that it's not being utilized most of the time is the real scandal. Sure, players who have no interest in or need for a college education should have other alternatives for continuing their football career, but that's not really the NCAA's fault.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Fenrir posted:

Well, in a way it IS the NCAA's fault due to the collusion with the NFL that requires athletes to go through college football to go pro. Football players are more or less being forced through an unpaid farm system.

It's also unique to football - you can join the NBA or MLB right out of high school unless I'm mistaken.

It's not collusion, it's 100% the NFL's rule. The is that you have to be three years out of high school to enter the draft. Unfortunately for those who want to continue their football careers, college football is really the only viable option. The NCAA benefits from the rule, but couldn't do anything to change it if it wanted to. The rule was challenged back in 2004, but it didn't end well.

The NBA has a one year rule, by the way, and it's made college basketball even more of a farce than it was before.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Basil Hayden posted:

For MLB you just have to graduate high school, but if you choose to go to a four-year college you have to play three years or until you turn 21 (which I always thought was a fascinating requirement).

I think college and pro baseball by far get the closest to getting it right, although the expenses in fielding a football team make a minor league system on the same scale as baseball unfeasible.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Fenrir posted:

Alright, but it'll be pretty hard to convince me (or most people, I'm guessing) that the NFL's 3 year rule isn't there basically to force players through the college system so they don't have to build a farm league and pay for it.

That's absolutely what it is, but what do you want the NCAA to do about it?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Quest For Glory II posted:

GROAN. That's not why these programs recruit these kids. That is such horseshit. What is the value? You're recruited specifically because of your physical talent and that's the only reason you're there. They couldn't give a single poo poo about your education. You're there to make them money.

You also keep saying "what do you want the NCAA to do about any of this" as if the NCAA has any concern or interest in changing things that BENEFIT THEM. The current system BENEFITS THEM. Why would they want to change anything?

Yeah, but if we had a system where schools actually fostered an environment where these guys could actually attend classes and leave with a useful degree, it would be a good system. You'd have immensely increased the future potential of a lot of guys who'd never have had the means to attend college were it not for athletics. That's pretty decent compensation. That's root idea behind this whole system, and it's not a bad one.

On top of that, a lot of the revenue generated by football goes to scholarships for people playing the sports nobody gives a poo poo about. It seems like all the LF-types would love that, but noooo, it's all "is Jameis not entitled to the sweat of his brow?"

General Dog fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 29, 2014

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

MourningView posted:

Either drop the pretense or change things so they can take advantage of the great free education they're allegedly getting, but don't continue pretending that it's a fair compensation for what they're doing while working to make it close to impossible for them to take advantage of.

Remarkably, I think we're on the same page then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Raku posted:

The talk of schools everywhere having to shut down their programs due to a union is hilarious because that's exactly what unions want to do, destroy themselves right? It's not like they negotiate for the best deal they can get while acknowledging the other side has real needs.

cough American car industry cough cough

• Locked thread