Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Well things got very interesting today, as the NLRB sided with the All Players United group and agreed that college athletes are employees and not 'student athletes' under labor law. This will certainly cause a seismic shift going forward with how NCAA does business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

effectual posted:

Might that run into the rule about political ads being equal-opportunity for both sides? Or whatever that rule is.
The fairness doctrine is long dead

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Mark Emmert came out today and called the unionization attempt 'grossly inappropriate'

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/10738559/mark-emmert-ncaa-president-says-unionization-attempt-grossly-inappropriate

Because making money off of kids and then kicking them off of scholarships if they get injured playing for you IS appropriate, obviously.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's not really shocking. I can't imagine the NCAA made a ton off of that, and just out of spite they would do it anyway to screw the players.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Now the NCAA is throwing the 'student-athletes' a bone: unlimited meals and snacks. I guess they finally felt some embarrassment when the star player for UConn basketball talked after their championship about how he went to bed hungry most nights because he couldn't afford food?

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/10787521/ncaa-legislative-council-approves-expanded-meal-allowance

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Mark Emmert's comments about this new food regulation change are completely insufferable. All of a sudden those rules are 'absurd' despite him never talking about it before that I'm aware of. I really think the Shabazz Napier comments are what prompted this. Before that I didn't hear anything. I guess you could also throw in the fact that they're under pressure thanks to the NLRB ruling to make themselves look less insane.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/10802011/mark-emmert-agrees-ncaa-rule-food-was-absurd

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

swickles posted:

The funny thing is that if you want to squash unions and the threat of their formation, all the NCAA has to do is give in to the demands. Thats sounds bad but when you realize the demands are things like medical care and guaranteed scholarships, the NCAA could not only squash it but also win a huge PR victory demonstrating that they care for the players. The public push for fairness wojld be eliminae and the argument over paying players will get pushed into the forefront, and that is one area that the NCAA actually has the public support for.
Yes but we all know they will never do that out of spite, but will instead be forced to and drag this out for 5-10 years.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

kayakyakr posted:

Early indications are that NW voted against unionizing, with something like 60-15 votes.
Yeah I think the result of this was pretty obvious when we saw the coaches and admins coming out heavily, and the QB or whoever. Those kids aren't stupid; they know they will be vilified and I'm sure were threatened privately if they did unionize.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Gerund posted:

Even beyond the 'B scabs 4 iPads' quid pro quo, the line about the former football alumni calling the current players and threatening to freeze them out of post-football employment opportunities is the most beautiful.
Or the school threatening to end the program, which is ridiculous

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

von Metternich posted:

If there's enough evidence of this stuff, the pro-union folks can appeal to the NLRB and have them investigate.

Even if not, though, the fact that the vote was allowed to go forward means that some other school will try, and probably sooner rather than later.
Good luck with that. It's so hard to prove

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Now the Northwestern team co-captain has come out on record saying he believes a union is 'not necessary', then proceeds to ignore the reasons why people believe it's absolutely necessary in the first place.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10844309/northwestern-co-captain-says-union-not-necessary-our-team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The NCAA also announced yesterday a settlement over the EA video game lawsuit. It was $20 million on top of the $40 million that EA paid out to players this year.

• Locked thread