Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I think the "student-"athletes should get comped, but I have seen a viable argument as to why that shouldn't happen.

What I think is complete bullshit is that the players can't use their own likeness to do promotions and other things. Make it so they can't wear school attire or logos. But poo poo if they want to sell some signatures then by all means they should be able to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Sash! posted:

Not if you signed a non-compete.

Haha you think Non-Compete's actually hold up.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I can't wait to see how much money the NCAA and the Conferences use to appeal this decision.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Alereon posted:

Is this going to require colleges to pay athletes as well as provide free schooling?

Who knows how the colleges respond to it. It has to go before the national ruling board since Northwestern is obviously going to appeal. That's when it gets real interesting.

If the National Board upholds it. The only Hurdle left would be overcoming the public schools and their case that since they are state funded they are exempt or something.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 26, 2014

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Doltos posted:

Wouldn't that make them the opposite of exempt, that if the national labor board ruled that they had to pay players that they couldn't even question it because it's state funded?

The main difference between Northwestern and other schools is their private school status. So if if the appeal fails for Northwestern, When the other schools get hit with similar cases, other schools are going to fight it by bringing up differences, of which that is one.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

Why does being state funded matter, though? My mom works for the University of Minnesota and as far as I know everyone that works there is union.

It very well might not, I'm just pointing out a difference. As some States could have silly laws or something.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Mukaikubo posted:

Honestly if the sport can't run while providing that minimum decent stuff for its athletes it probably deserves to die.

Empty quote.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Whirlwind Jones posted:

If a guy works at the stadium concession stand is he required to go to class??? If a girl works at the campus book store is she required to turn in her papers on time????

Look how dumb you sound.

If those jobs are managed by the schools and designated as a "student" job then you do have to stay enrolled at the university to keep said job.

I was a student manager at a residence dining hall, every semester I would have to do checks on the employees to ensure that they were taking the correct number of hours and were still enrolled in the university. If not I had to let them go.

So if Athletes are designated student employees then yes. They would still have to go to class and turn in papers on time.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Whirlwind Jones posted:

That's kind of the point I was making actually.

My bad. Quoted the wrong post.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Alereon posted:

This ruling wouldn't affect those programs, right? It seems limited to schools where athletics is a big enough deal for the players to be fulltime athletes who are also students rather than full-time students who are also athletes.

Right now it only affects Northwestern(and logically all Private Universities)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Doltos posted:

They don't. They require you to be up to date on vaccinations including MRSA if you live in a dorm. Outside of that there is no law that enforces health care coverage for any student.

NIU(state school) did. I had to provide proof of insurance, in order to opt out of the 300 dollar or so insurance charge on my tuition.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Doltos posted:

When did you guys attend? I went to two state schools between 2007 to 2011 and neither required insurance or a waiver, and only one even asked about it because I was living on campus.

2006-2010.

Now that I think about it, I might have only had to waive the insurance charge when I lived on campus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Other things that may hurt Northwestern's chances of winning the Big Ten:

• Being Northwestern

Ohio State?
Having less B1G wins than NIU?

• Locked thread