Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I hope it succeeds, Workers Of The World, Unite! :getin:

The NLRB is actually doing stuff now right? Obama finally got his appointments to the board through?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Dubar posted:

The idea of scholarship being as good as payment is like if a retail job paid you in gift certificates. Yeah, it has a monetary value, but the "cost" to the employer is a fraction of its market value. Or if a company picked their ten best employees and sent them paychecks and then sent the rest of their employees a bill instead.

Yes, paying employees in company scrip is a terribly exploitative practice that was outlawed years ago and calling NCAA football and basketball players student-athletes is an end around on that whole concept. Division I football generates $5.15 billion in revenues every year. Division I basketball generates an additional $1.3billion in revenue. These athletes are generating tremendous value for the universities they play for and being taken incredible advantage of. The share of revenue going to players in professional leagues in the US ranges in the 45-55% range depending on the league. If we say the average value of a D1 scholarship is $50,000 a year which seems like a rather high estimate IMO, you're still talking less than 10% of the revenue NCAA football makes going to the student athletes.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I guess this makes Obama filling the empty spots in the NLRB one of the more positive things that he's done so far in his administration.

• Locked thread