Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I've always really liked Northwestern and now I like them more

Amen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Toymachine posted:

Honestly, NCAA players should just shut up and stop pretending like their $120,000 full ride scholarships don't mean poo poo. Most of these guys would be in backwoods Alabama pumping gas if it wasn't for colleges offering athletic scholarships.

If you don't source your quotes we are all just going to assume you're actually the one posting it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Frackie Robinson posted:

This is really exciting, as the end of the NCAA as we know it would definitely make college football better and not ultimately kill the sport, no siree...

Yeah, moms and dads will magically decide their babies shouldn't play this game anymore once the integrity is gone and they start making actual money doing it. I can hear the parents from Friday Night Tykes now, "A&M is gonna pay you $15,000* a year while you're also a student? Not in my household, boy. Get to studyin and quit dreamin."

*number entirely made up

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sash! posted:

You completely misread what he's saying: that the universities will just go "screw it, if we can't have all of it, no one gets anything."

I hadn't realized that was what he was trying to say, though considering he never made that point at all I don't think I was being too uncharitable.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Frackie Robinson posted:

If that's where you're coming from that's fine, it's just weird to see people in this thread that I know to have rooting interests in college football act like this is great news. I know nothing's going to come of this specific effort, but it's still an omen of things to come, none of which are good for the continued existence of college football at its current level of competition.

So your pride in your alma mater is more important to you than the interests of these athletes?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Frackie Robinson posted:

I think that health hazards notwithstanding, these athletes are pretty well taken care of.

To make my stance clear, I think in an ideal world you could keep college football more or less the way it is, but also have it coexist with an actual professional minor league, just like college baseball and the minors coexist. College shouldn't be a mandatory stop for elite players, but until the NFL changes its rules about draft eligibility there isn't a lot to be done.

While I completely disagree with you I do want to thank you for giving me an honest answer. Looking back at it I realized my question comes off a lot more aggressive and confrontational than I intended it to.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Hazo posted:

Chiche, what do you disagree with? That college ball could coexist with a minor football league? Or that going pro shouldn't require x amount of college?

I think that the idea the players are well taken care of is a total joke (read the FSU article about football playing students). I also disagree with this being bad for college football. Either we will have minor league teams that pay the players or we will have college teams that pay the players, but this is absolutely not a death knell for the continued existence of the sport.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Frackie Robinson posted:

That's absolutely what it is, but what do you want the NCAA to do about it?

Not make millions upon millions of dollars while exploiting these athletes and not giving them proper support in a way that allows them to resemble scholars in any meaningful way.

Not be evil and stupid.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Frackie Robinson posted:

Yeah, but if we had a system where schools actually fostered an environment where these guys could actually attend classes and leave with a useful degree, it would be a good system. You'd have immensely increased the future potential of a lot of guys who'd never have had the means to attend college were it not for athletics. That's pretty decent compensation. That's root idea behind this whole system, and it's not a bad one.

That would be awesome if it actually worked like that, but when athletes like Richard Sherman try to take advantage of it coaches like Jim Harbaugh allegedly question their commitment to the sport and attempt to poison their careers in the NFL by characaterizing them as soft or lazy.

Again, allegedly.

*edit*
I'm trying to find the article that this was mentioned in and I can't, so take that with a grain of salt because I could have just imagined the whole ordeal.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 29, 2014

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Frackie Robinson posted:

cough American car industry cough cough

Yea, American cars sucked, that was why.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Ribsauce posted:

I guess we should have kept slavery too since it would hurt the southern cotton trade

I knew Panthers fans felt that way.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

ryan8723 posted:

Yes. A&M could shut down all sports and it wouldn't change my feelings toward A&M. I love college football and I would be angry and sad to see it go, but I love my school even more.

And A&M is one of the few schools that can weather this situation. This is really bad for collegiate athletics. Most schools are already way in the red and subsidized by the university, it's a guarantee that they will just shut down their programs rather that spend millions more.

Also, good luck to the athletes who now get to pay taxes on their "salary" since they are now employees of the university. Anyone who thinks this is a good thing for collegiate sports is delusional. This is the beginning of the end, so you better enjoy it while you can.

Those poor students who will be making 61,000 a year minus taxes sure would be better off not being able to afford to eat during Spring Break. :qq:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

ryan8723 posted:

You're forgetting insurance and the other expenses as a result of them being employees. Beyond like 30 schools, exactly how in the hell do you think these schools can afford this? The insurance alone will kill most programs.

Some of you are so dead set on "sticking it to the man" that you can't see the forest through the trees.

I don't play division 1 football, but are they not providing medical care for them already? Like, when Lattimore loving demolished his knee did Carolina just toss him out like an old eskimo on an iceflow?

Also, if a school can't afford to treat a student who spends 50+ hours a week training to play a sport for them, then the school probably shouldn't have the program to begin with.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Chiken n' Waffles posted:

Where did you come up with the 61,000 a year?

Well mainly I'm pulling it out of my rear end as an example. But also:

mastershakeman posted:

I'm glad that the decision addressed head on that they receive $61k+ of pay for what they do. Haven't read through the whole thing but it looks pretty sound. Anyone know how often lower NLRB boards get reversed by the DC one?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

ryan8723 posted:

And they will get what they deserve, which is nothing. What I'm getting from most of you is that you are all perfectly okay with destroying 95% of the athletic programs in the country so long as the 5% get what is owed to them. Good job killing the dreams of a college education of loads of athletes from mid majors on down because no one can afford to pay athletes a salary because Title IX requires all athletes to be paid equally and insurance along with worker's comp eats up entire athletic budgets until they are forced to shut down.

You guys do realize that this will result in the college athlete world being almost exclusively big conference schools right? It will be the SEC, B1G, Pac 12, ACC, and Big 12 at most and even then lots of these schools will just fold their programs because they can't afford it anymore. March Madness will be dead, the CWS will be dead, and football will be the SEC and change. I don't think a lot of you have really thought this through.

So you think the athletes who do all the work deserve nothing, but those of use who sit on our couches and consume this poo poo deserve to have this product? Am I reading that right? Because what I'm gathering from your post is that you don't want the programs shutting down because (an assumption since you didn't explain more) you enjoy the product and feel you deserve the right to watch it. But they don't deserve the right to be paid for their performance because it conflicts with you deserving to watch it?

*edit*
What Swickles said also. I'm just confronting the straw man you've built.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Doltos posted:

They don't. They require you to be up to date on vaccinations including MRSA if you live in a dorm. Outside of that there is no law that enforces health care coverage for any student.

My (private) college requires it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Doltos posted:

When did you guys attend? I went to two state schools between 2007 to 2011 and neither required insurance or a waiver, and only one even asked about it because I was living on campus.

I'm currently attending. On the other hand, my girlfriend is going to a state school in California and I'm not sure that she has to have insurance. I'll check later if we don't have this cleared up.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sash! posted:

I'd argue that a fancy-rear end climbing wall is part of the core mission of a university.

Educate the body and mind. And given how fat everyone is around here, we're failing at that first one pretty badly.

We Are Obese

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
:effort:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sash! posted:

You know, it is possible to draw such a preposterous analogy that it just looks ridiculous. Comparing a few thousand guys who may not be getting properly compensated to an armed insurrection that took a century to sort out and cost thousands of lives is, well, dumb.

No analogy is perfect. You're only being so pedantic because you know you are standing for an indefensible position. Trying to trivialize college football players as "a few thousand guys who may not be getting properly compensated" is an incredible understatement considering what they actually go through.

The hypobole nearly killed me.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Now the NCAA is throwing the 'student-athletes' a bone: unlimited meals and snacks. I guess they finally felt some embarrassment when the star player for UConn basketball talked after their championship about how he went to bed hungry most nights because he couldn't afford food?

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/10787521/ncaa-legislative-council-approves-expanded-meal-allowance

:lol:Makes this post even funnier.

Sash! posted:

You know, it is possible to draw such a preposterous analogy that it just looks ridiculous. Comparing a few thousand guys who may not be getting properly compensated to an armed insurrection that took a century to sort out and cost thousands of lives is, well, dumb.

Just a bunch of pampered students. :jerkbag:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

The winner of the next Super Bowl needs to sign him to a one day contract so he can get a ring. :allears:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Gerund posted:

"Hey the the Ohio State University AD got paid $18K bonus because of the work of the synchronized swimming team."

"Oh yeah? Penn State's athletic director facilitated the rape of children."

Obviously our priorities are out of order. Burn Penn State.

This is a great example of a flawed argument with a correct conclusion. C+

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sash! posted:

An Algonquin word?

Might as well be asking what a...pick a word is.

What does it mean though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

"single mountain"

:geno:

• Locked thread