Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Sash! posted:

I loathe unions, but if this gets us closer to the NCFL, I'll back it like FDR showering Stalin with weapons.
You really are a stereotype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

superaielman posted:

D&D is thataway if you want an echo chamber of outrage. Cut the poo poo otherwise.

Don't be a baby there is nothing wrong with that position.

swickles posted:

I think a lot of people are equating unionizing with getting paid, and that isn't the case. Currently the NCAA unilaterally makes the rules and students have little to no recourse with any punishment they are given for violations of NCAA rules. There have been tons of documented cases of unfair and unequal treatment when players break rules. Not only does the NCAA treat schools unequally, but also the players. In fact, the NCAA is notorious for coming at a school or player even harder when they appeal. Having the players have the ability to negotiate some of these rules, and have a fair and unbiased appeal process would be a huge step towards improving the college football system.

edit: beaten by the above, and I am sure the article is much more explicative than I was.
Yeah not only the fact they aren't paid, but they really don't have any recourse (outside of just not playing at all) to deal with how the NCAA does poo poo.

Of course the problem is that there isn't much in the way of doing a national Union as it will probably be kind of unwiedly and the fact turnover is going to rather huge (because duh), is a major factor. Though if this leads to a pruning of the various programs, it could actually make it much easier.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 29, 2014

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Idiot Wind posted:

What do most grad students do that "brings revenue" as teachers? They're being paid to provide the basic service that a university is involved in providing. That is explicitly the goal of having TAs teach. How is voluntary participation in extracurricular activity at all the same? If the goal of student-athletes is to make money, why the hell are they in college at all (except because, at the moment, that's the stepping stone to pro sports)? Obviously conditions should be improved, but they just shouldn't be where they are right now. Whether they're asking for pay or not, they're asking to be treated as employees, when they just aren't employees at all.

They would effectively become employees though. Which they probably should be.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Thoguh posted:

D&D is leaking again.

This whole discussion is basically a D&D discussion with a football shell.

It can't be avoided really.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Unless the "taxes" are 100% that isn't really that big a deal.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ryan8723 posted:

You're forgetting insurance and the other expenses as a result of them being employees. Beyond like 30 schools, exactly how in the hell do you think these schools can afford this? The insurance alone will kill most programs.

Some of you are so dead set on "sticking it to the man" that you can't see the forest through the trees.
Nah we want the students to get what they deserve, if the school can't handle it an the program dies, so be it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ryan8723 posted:

And they will get what they deserve, which is nothing. What I'm getting from most of you is that you are all perfectly okay with destroying 95% of the athletic programs in the country so long as the 5% get what is owed to them. Good job killing the dreams of a college education of loads of athletes from mid majors on down because no one can afford to pay athletes a salary because Title IX requires all athletes to be paid equally and insurance along with worker's comp eats up entire athletic budgets until they are forced to shut down.

You guys do realize that this will result in the college athlete world being almost exclusively big conference schools right? It will be the SEC, B1G, Pac 12, ACC, and Big 12 at most and even then lots of these schools will just fold their programs because they can't afford it anymore. March Madness will be dead, the CWS will be dead, and football will be the SEC and change. I don't think a lot of you have really thought this through.

That is not what they "deserve". I am perfectly okay with destroying it. I like college football but I do not care for it so much that I am okay with exploiting the athletes. I don't think I hold anything in that high a regard.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I am going to guess competitive balance, then I am going to laugh.

Edit: I saw your post, that isn't to different from now. They aren't thirty but the basic concept is the same.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

Basically, there were no standard eligibility rules of any kind. It was entirely up to individual schools and negotiation between schools when they played. So every team was responsible for doing its own detective work on every player on every team they played.

That really isn't that much worse.

Hell its hardly that big a deal.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

It's a big deal if you think athletes representing colleges should actually be students at those college. If you reject that notion, then there really isn't anything to argue about.

Well more to the point is it worse because it is brazen? Because you could argue that right now effectively the same thing is happening now. As I assume the big deal you are saying it is has more to do with him being a ringer who isn't there for college as opposed to his age.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

Lack of control of eligibility led to the formation of conferences, first, and the NCAA, second. It was complete chaos otherwise. It was not "better" in any sense whatsoever.

I'm sure there's some subtle, clever point you're trying to make, but I'm not getting it.

I am sure we are talking past each other, because I am having a similar reaction.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Breaky posted:

Not sure about all of this. I could have cared less how nice the gym was when I was looking for schools. I was looking at location of the school, graduation rates and the scholarship offers I could get.

It could be relevant for players but I would guess you would hit diminishing returns really quickly.

It does make a good dick waving thing, so that part is probably true.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I like how he never actually says what would be bad about them unionizing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Volkerball posted:

I know they didn't. The default rosters just say QB #12, etc all the way through. I'm wondering if, assuming they do decide to unionize, it'd be like that for every team except Northwestern, who's players would be able to sell their likenesses and have their actual names used.

That would probably fall under illegal benefits.

If not that could make unionzation an interesting way to lander booster money.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

effectual posted:

He's probably just a good ol' christian boy who thinks he doesn't deserve anything until he proves his worth (And as a corrolary, disabled/old people shouldn't get gov' assistance). There are a lot of young people now who have had "bootstraps" fed to them by their reaganite parents and mass media.

Nah its seems to be a simple "I am friends with the coach and you don't go over friends heads" Which is hilarious but common thought among college athletes.

Bro no matter how much you may think it, they are not your friends.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Gerund posted:

Even beyond the 'B scabs 4 iPads' quid pro quo, the line about the former football alumni calling the current players and threatening to freeze them out of post-football employment opportunities is the most beautiful.

No the last bullet point about them claiming that scholarships have nothing to do with their football skills is the best.

• Locked thread