Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Sash! posted:

You know he's not even from Pennsylvania? And doesn't live there?

Yeah, Penn State grads all live in DC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Frackie Robinson posted:

If that's where you're coming from that's fine, it's just weird to see people in this thread that I know to have rooting interests in college football act like this is great news. I know nothing's going to come of this specific effort, but it's still an omen of things to come, none of which are good for the continued existence of college football at its current level of competition.

If the NFL moves to a true minor league system, it's going to squash any sort of creative offense which will be lovely

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

That money is not evenly distributed throughout college and most college football programs operate at a loss (and like, an actual loss, not "Pro Sports Accounting is Magical" loss). If you add salaries for 85~ scholarship players you're tacking on something on the order of a million dollars, minimum, to the operating costs of each program, which is not something that the BGSUs and the Rices of the world just have laying around.

Eifert Posting posted:

Yeah, this. The argument that the administrative .1% will consider anything less than total exploitation a loss and pull out is not something I expected from this board. It's literally the exact same argument that's been used to negate labor reform for centuries.

I thought this was a refuge for LF castoffs not a Young Republicans club.

We're exploring both sides of an issue instead of just jerking each other off with how much we agree and are outraged. If the system requires the exploitation of thousands of college students then the system shouldn't exist, of course, but it changes the landscape of college athletics as a whole. Also don't take General Dog/Frackie Robinson as the voice of the majority (unless you really need a strawman or w/e)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

swickles posted:

Its even more ridiculous in basketball with the one year rule. Could you imagine if Lebron spent a year in college? Plenty of NBA athletes are ready right out of high school. Its a ridiculous system of collusion.

:ssh: not to start a big fat NBA labor derail but the one year rule didn't come from management in the cba negotiations :ssh:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I think this is a bit of a leap. I see where you're coming from and it's a definite possibility but that's so many steps removed from the current system that it's not worth worrying about. If/when someone tries to set up a minor league then we can worry about it.

Not to be pedantic but Rice definitely has the money for that. That said would it be so terrible for everything outside the top 30-50 teams to fold up? It's better for the university since they're likely already operating at a loss.

I don't know the specifics of Rice's endowment or their finances; I was just using it as a placeholder for another small school. Substitute Tulsa or Houston or whoever. And while I don't think it would be terrible for the sport as a whole from a playing standpoint I don't know that as many people would watch if they didn't have their alma mater to root for. You'd also have to shut down half the bowl games, which hurts TV revenue. There are drastic changes coming with this.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Vaya con Dios!!! posted:

Lots of Little Chickens in here. I can't help but notice that almost everyone in here lamenting the death of college football is being pretty selfish in their thinking. College football might change a little or a lot, but it's not going to go away and you'll still get your entertainment.

It will likely be much different than it is in its current form, probably with far fewer schools competing (which could be a good or a bad thing). And pretty much anyone who continues to watch and support football at any level is being selfish on some level in light of the physical toll it takes on the players.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

fuckin duh

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

College football has always been a huge moneymaker and the source of endless corruption. These are not new issues. Complaints about the amount of money football was making started about 1885, almost as soon as the sport was invented. Drop by the football history thread sometime.

The rules could probably use a good overhaul, but whatever problems the rules cause, they prevent even worse ones.

What are the worse problems that are being prevented?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

fat greasy puto posted:

This is a nice idea in theory but seems to open a can of worms. Where do you draw the line? Should someone on an ncaa swimming team be paid the same as a football player? Should an engineering major at MIT have their medical expenses covered if the stress causes them health issues? It just seems like if you provide athletes with free healthcare and say it's because it's a for profit industry, you would have to do the same in academia.

I can't say for certain where the line should be drawn but I think it's a good thing that those groups at least be allowed to negotiate the terms of their scholarships

quote:

Colleges are HUGE business and athletics are just a small chunk of their profits

This is a good point and many colleges operate at a loss in terms of athletics so I think most of them will shutter their athletic programs or reduce them to intramurals which is sad but is probably for the best

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Alereon posted:

This ruling wouldn't affect those programs, right? It seems limited to schools where athletics is a big enough deal for the players to be fulltime athletes who are also students rather than full-time students who are also athletes.

NCAA dictates up to 4 hours of practice a day for a maximum of 20 per week with at least one day off (which doesn't include game day) and that doesn't include "self-directed or student-led training" (i.e. strength and conditioning done at the coach's request but not under his supervision or other drills) which is (anecdotally, from 4 basketball players at VCU) another 1-2 hours (plus independent film study which is heartily encouraged). It's a bit more reasonable during the offseason (8 hours a week, two days off) but that's every program. It's basically a part time job except it's all physical labor and you have to travel out of town regularly (and travel count towards your hours; only the actual competition counts, and regardless of how long it goes on, it gets clocked at 3 hours).

Right now it just applies to private universities, though (and no one's sure how it'll all end up shaking out, so it's all speculation).

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Graduated last year and all I had to have was vaccines at both schools I went to.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Ribsauce posted:

I am well aware administrative costs are crazy at universities and increase at a much faster percentage than instructional costs. I was looking at the financial statements for my school and the gym was broken out nice and conveniently, so that is what I picked for just a random example. I also picked it because when I was in school the gym was the hot university arms race. One state college opened a fancy one with a climbing wall, pools etc. and within 2 years I think every other school broke ground on their own. I think the new arms race is fancy dorms.

Student housing is a legitimate problem as almost every college has more students who want to live on campus than they have dorms

E: I feel as though we may have gotten off track a bit

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

turbomoose posted:

Yeah, because all those players that signed up to play basketball totally don't want to play in their sweet 16 game.

11 AM classes! The height of luxury!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

swickles posted:

They also found in the code though that players were referenced by name. Apparently there were sets of plays that were designed for particular players like TEBOW1, TEBOW2, etc. It was never seen on the front end, but was pretty prevalent in the code.

That and the fact that EA themselves were the ones leaking the updated rosters under sockpuppets on places like OperationSports

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Volkerball posted:

Wow just read an article on this and it sounds really stupid and petty. All over names and faces on a video game.

Potentially having to pay out money to 126 universities/players cuts into the profit margin big time, and the series has never sold like Madden (or even like NBA 2K if I'm not mistaken)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

oldskool posted:

It'll put them at a huge competitive disadvantage against The Ohio State University:
https://twitter.com/sganim/status/453527959458938880/photo/1

I can tell it's a big deal because Sara Ganim is throwing her hat in the ring.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Teams I am worried about winning the Big Ten
-One that starts Kain Coulter
-One that is somehow unable to recruit Chicago despite being right loving there
-One that can only consistently beat Iowa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

swickles posted:

that is one area that the NCAA actually has the public support for.

Not so much. Certainly, there are a lot of outspoken people who are against it but the public opinion is probably closer to 50/50 than overwhelmingly for not paying them

• Locked thread