Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I loathe unions, but if this gets us closer to the NCFL, I'll back it like FDR showering Stalin with weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

wheez the roux posted:

To be fair to Komet, "foreign" to him is anything outside of Pennsylvania's borders.

You know he's not even from Pennsylvania? And doesn't live there?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

They do and I want them all to leave

I was born in Alexandria, I was here first :colbert:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Chichevache posted:

Yeah, moms and dads will magically decide their babies shouldn't play this game anymore once the integrity is gone and they start making actual money doing it. I can hear the parents from Friday Night Tykes now, "A&M is gonna pay you $15,000* a year while you're also a student? Not in my household, boy. Get to studyin and quit dreamin."

*number entirely made up

You completely misread what he's saying: that the universities will just go "screw it, if we can't have all of it, no one gets anything."

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

vaginal culture posted:

The NFL needs to bear the cost of developing players instead of benefiting from the current system.

But why should they? It's not like, with very few, very extreme examples, any of our employers paid to develop us into lawyers and consultants and engineers.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Simplex posted:

Or how about every other job. If you get a better offer somewhere you can leave your old job and then start a new one.

Not if you signed a non-compete.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Dexo posted:

Haha you think Non-Compete's actually hold up.

Depends on the state and the industry. But yes, I've seen them do their thing in my own house.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm always skeptical that there's any significant number of guys that can physically compete when they're 19. My gut tells me Jamies Winston would be killed on the field right now.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

$61k is $16k more than what the average person in the US makes.

$61k with no debts and being 20 would be like living like an Egyptian god made flesh.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Crazy Ted posted:

I didn't know that Auburn tried to have Cam Newton's Achilles tendons clipped to keep him from fleeing school early.

How many lashes did he get for stealing that laptop?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

kayakyakr posted:

I'm for it all except 10. I think 10 should be standardized where a student is granted an athletic release to any school not in the same conference. 9 is a little strange. The rest is fine by me.

11 bugs me a little bit too. Its a little unbalanced to be like "school you have to be 100% committed to keeping me here, but I can bolt at any time!" Plus, given the brevity of the college playing career...I don't know, something just seems off about it.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Volkerball posted:

which is the real issue behind schools being football teams with educational institutions on the side rather than vice versa.

This is absurd hyperbole though. Look at one of the biggest dogs in the fight:

In 2011-2012, Penn State spent $107 million on athletics and had $108 million in revenue. In the same year, the operating budget of the university system exceeded $4 billion. Nearly $600 million was spent on research alone.

Still want to call that a football team with an educational institution on the side?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

vaginal culture posted:

Doesn't the amount of student athletes getting sham degrees undervalue the typical students own typically overpriced degree? Students at my alma mater voted down transitioning to D1 due to this, which bothered me at the time but now seems good.

They're such a tiny fraction that it doesn't matter. I mean, of all the stuff to worry about, this is like the last, unless your university has graduating classes of 30 people.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I think that's a terrible way to look at it. I didn't go to college to get a financial return on my investment. I went to learn things. Also there were plenty of things that couldn't possibly be quantified in monetary terms.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'd argue that a fancy-rear end climbing wall is part of the core mission of a university.

Educate the body and mind. And given how fat everyone is around here, we're failing at that first one pretty badly.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Chichevache posted:

We Are Obese

Pennsylvania is only the 24th most obese state. :colbert:

Seven of the top 10 are SEC states.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Regular students value the perk stuff because they have to use it. Penn State having bonkers ag facilities for academic reasons was immaterial to most of the students because they never saw it. They did, however, have to have a place to sleep.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Volkerball posted:

Madden pulls a profit. Even smaller sports manage to get their likenesses secured while still providing quality games. It's absolutely petty. We'll ruin the sanctity of the game played by student athletes just out there having fun if we let them be in video games! :qq:

Madden is one of, if not the, top selling game franchise. NCAA was... Somewhat less.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

effectual posted:

But student athletes are sorta like mine workers before unions.

The hyperbole nearly killed me.

President Harding once threatened to conduct air strikes against strike miners. College football labor issues are to miner's labor issues what a dead housecat is to a robotic panther 500 feet tall with laser eyes.

Sash! fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 15, 2014

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

swickles posted:

I had a long effort post typed up why you are being dumb, but I think the Sash! next to the post will let people know that. Its not a perfect or even accurate analogy, but to pretend that just because their plight isn't as bad means it isn't bad is still pretty dumb.

You know, it is possible to draw such a preposterous analogy that it just looks ridiculous. Comparing a few thousand guys who may not be getting properly compensated to an armed insurrection that took a century to sort out and cost thousands of lives is, well, dumb.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I believe you may know very little about the coal strikes.

Step back and think about how "sometimes I didn't get enough to eat," which is bad and wrong, may not be as bad as "50 miners died in a mine cave in after five days of 12 hour shifts and management went 'well there's plenty of Irish.'"

Also, you know I've been supporting the idea of outright professional college football for, like, ten years right?

Sash! fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 16, 2014

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

swickles posted:

All we are saying is that you are taking an offhand comment that included the use of the phrase "sort of like" way too seriously.

He provided too much evidence for his argument then, with the allusions of company housing and scrip!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

No Butt Stuff posted:

and what the hell is a nitanny

An Algonquin word?

Might as well be asking what a...pick a word is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Chichevache posted:

What does it mean though?

Most likely "single mountain."

• Locked thread