Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

ryan8723 posted:

I wasn't saying they shouldn't get anything ever, just that if athletes unionize in schools that run in the red that they will get nothing. The big schools can afford to treat players as employees. The small schools? Not so much.

I don't like the NCAA either but unionizing as "employees" is not the answer and will have a lot of bad unintended consequences.

If you can't do something right, don't do it at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Quest For Glory II posted:

Gonna be a lot of back and forth now.

The interesting thing is that since the NCAA gets ad time during college football games, there's no way they won't run what essentially would be political ads attacking the union. And they can do it during every nationally broadcasted game. All of their advertising last year focused on the "student athlete" so they almost have to.

Might that run into the rule about political ads being equal-opportunity for both sides? Or whatever that rule is.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Outside the lines today is about this, and they're running comments on #collegeunion. I'm bluntly trolling it.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
One of the NW players (a kicker?) on espn yesterday said their first vote was just to file to make unionization possible for any ncaa player. He said support for them actually forming a union there might be a bit lower (not to mention all the political coercing going on now).

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
He's probably just a good ol' christian boy who thinks he doesn't deserve anything until he proves his worth (And as a corrolary, disabled/old people shouldn't get gov' assistance). There are a lot of young people now who have had "bootstraps" fed to them by their reaganite parents and mass media.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Spacemonkey57 posted:

Ohio State's synchronized swimming team just won the national championship. Congratulations especially to AD Gene Smith on all your hard work, I hope you enjoy your $18K bonus.

Calm down bro, that's class warfare! Enjoy your free degree and like it!

There are far too many people that think like that. But student athletes are sorta like mine workers before unions. Living in the company town, paid with company scrip (the degree), can be fired if they get hurt.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Yes because 17 year olds know perfectly what they're getting mixed up with, and have plenty of other options to become potential millionaires in a few years. Like gangs!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

FlamingLiberal posted:

Or the school threatening to end the program, which is ridiculous

"If this store unionizes we'll have to shut it down and outsource."

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Democrazy posted:

I wonder if being a union school would actually help recruitment.

I would think it'd greatly help it, kids can't be punished on a whim for bullshit like not hustling enough, their care would be guaranteed to all, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Related, I saw today that Ed Obannon is suing the Ncaa over this stuff.

• Locked thread