Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Komet
Apr 4, 2003

This is the beginning of the end of the NCAA. It may also be the beginning of the end for college sports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Needs More Ditka posted:

Modern American universities are a farce and I'm in favor of anything that might kill them quicker.

The problems that plague American universities plague all universities.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

wheez the roux posted:

To be fair to Komet, "foreign" to him is anything outside of Pennsylvania's borders.

:rolleyes: I work in academia. While the student athlete thing doesn't apply to international universities, most of those other things do, including, which was not mentioned, the contiuous undermining of the humanities in favor of STEM disciplines that bring a higher level of economic gain to the universities. A system that charges money for a university education is not necessarily a bad one, but the current arms race in the U.S. is out of control. In France, for example, free college education has resulted in a dearth of vocational skills and high youth unemployment. Just not enough jobs to go around for college educated individuals. It's a problem in the U.S., and it's a problem in Europe. Middle Eastern countries and China are dumping billions into glorified tech schools. They don't give a poo poo about the humanities, and they've completely missed the point of a university education. I don't know how many faculty they can draw to teach at these universities, since tenure and intellectual freedom are important factors for university professors.

So chide me all you want, but understand that I'm plugged into this better than any of you.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Thoguh posted:

Open transfer in general is a tough subject because if you don't limit it in some way teams would have to just be assembled from free agents every season.

Hard to say, really. Everyone at Penn State could have transferred in 2012, but only a few did. I think that the sense of community that a football team brings is stronger than the draw of constantly transferring to better teams.

• Locked thread