Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Ribsauce posted:

I guess we should have kept slavery too since it would hurt the southern cotton trade
Great job trivializing slavery there :downsbravo:

I didn't know that Auburn tried to have Cam Newton's Achilles tendons clipped to keep him from fleeing school early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Sash! posted:

How many lashes did he get for stealing that laptop?
His college name was Kunta Kinte.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ryan8723 posted:

You're forgetting insurance and the other expenses as a result of them being employees. Beyond like 30 schools, exactly how in the hell do you think these schools can afford this? The insurance alone will kill most programs.
Unless I'm mistaken, a lot of schools offer insurance programs that you can take part in while you're a student. If you're talking about insurance plans specifically tailored for football players, I think high-level prospects can get private plans as well.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 27, 2014

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Chichevache posted:

I don't play division 1 football, but are they not providing medical care for them already? Like, when Lattimore loving demolished his knee did Carolina just toss him out like an old eskimo on an iceflow?
Actually when Lattimore hosed his knee they sent him to some guy at the back of a Bodega in Queens whose surgical tools consist of a pair of scissors and a utility knife.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Chiken n' Waffles posted:

Where did you come up with the 61,000 a year?

I'm not sure where I sit on this one. On one hand, everyone knows the NCAA is a farce. On the other hand, NCAAMF is so much fun to watch and I agree with the people who think that college athletics will be seriously hurt as a result of this. I wish there was a middle ground where students could make money selling autographs and poo poo, were protected from any negative consequence of injury, still required to attend class, but did not receive a salary. Maybe a small per athlete allowance based off of program profits?
If they really had to, I imagine colleges will find some justification to shift money around to make things work.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Whirlwind Jones posted:

If a guy works at the stadium concession stand is he required to go to class??? If a girl works at the campus book store is she required to turn in her papers on time????
If it's part of a Work-Study program they'll want to.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ryan8723 posted:

And they will get what they deserve, which is nothing. What I'm getting from most of you is that you are all perfectly okay with destroying 95% of the athletic programs in the country so long as the 5% get what is owed to them. Good job killing the dreams of a college education of loads of athletes from mid majors on down because no one can afford to pay athletes a salary because Title IX requires all athletes to be paid equally and insurance along with worker's comp eats up entire athletic budgets until they are forced to shut down.

You guys do realize that this will result in the college athlete world being almost exclusively big conference schools right? It will be the SEC, B1G, Pac 12, ACC, and Big 12 at most and even then lots of these schools will just fold their programs because they can't afford it anymore. March Madness will be dead, the CWS will be dead, and football will be the SEC and change. I don't think a lot of you have really thought this through.
The Northwestern players aren't asking for a guaranteed salary and they've made that pretty clear from the beginning you extraordinary dumbass.

That strawman you constructed is bigger than the Aggie Bonfire.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 27, 2014

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

What will be interesting is, if this goes forward, what consequences will emerge for schools refusing to negotiate with players. Will they go on strike? It could be that only football teams have enough clout (and generate enough revenue) to actually bargain for benefits.
I'm wondering if the larger outcome will be collegiate athletes becoming one large union.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

Well, at one time 30-year-old "freshmen" who had played college football for 10 years without ever attending a class was fairly common.
You could also play for a team as long as you were taking one class or were employed by the school. This led to one University of Minnesota player being on the team for six or seven years in the early 1900s, and then as a professor they called him back in for a game a couple of years later when they needed him at QB.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

This is a good point and many colleges operate at a loss in terms of athletics so I think most of them will shutter their athletic programs or reduce them to intramurals which is sad but is probably for the best
This won't happen. With the amount of money many colleges take in, they'll find some kind of way to subsidize major sports if it comes to it.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

quote:

Far less enthused was Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.), a former U.S. Department of Education secretary and former president of the University of Tennessee.

"Imagine a university's basketball players striking before a Sweet 16 game demanding shorter practices, bigger dorm rooms, better food and no classes before 11 a.m.," he said. "This is an absurd decision that will destroy intercollegiate athletics as we know it."

Oh Lamar you silly man!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

The difference is that the college players knowingly and willingly entered into the contract of playing football in exchange for a scholarship and an education. They are getting exactly what they were promised.
But sometimes they don't. Many players who sign scholarship papers don't know that the scholarship is for one year at a time and if their coach oversigns that their scholarship can be taken away from them on a whim.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I say burn Penn State just because they ruined college hockey.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Chichevache posted:

What does it mean though?
"boy rape"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The Grand Tetons after named after a French slang word for titties.

• Locked thread