Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Patrick Hruby's got a long article about the implications:
http://therotation.sportsonearthblog.com/can-college-athletes-unionize/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The interesting thing about this coming from Northwestern is that the program comes pretty close to fulfilling what NCAA likes to tout as type of benefits for its student-athletes in football and basketball. NU players must meet academic standards higher than the NCAA's minimums, their tuition is valuable than many other schools' because of Northwestern's insane, exorbitant tuition, and they almost all graduate. The fact that this effort is coming from Northwestern of all places is just more of a demonstration of the NCAA's greed and hypocrisy when it comes to fair compensation for athletes.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Volkerball posted:

I know they didn't. The default rosters just say QB #12, etc all the way through. I'm wondering if, assuming they do decide to unionize, it'd be like that for every team except Northwestern, who's players would be able to sell their likenesses and have their actual names used.

Yes, a corporation will be willing to pay US dollars to license the likeness of Northwestern football players.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Northwestern is only 14 years removed from their last Big Ten title, and they won a bowl game once, you jerks.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I'd rather EA just make up names of Northwestern football players and sees if anyone notices. Here are some suggestions:

Cornelius Touchdownbilt III
Phil MCAT
Barry Schwartz
Pete Campbell
The Fifth Baron Saxeburg-Goethe
Steve Urkell
Trevor Siemian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

you fuckers just wait