Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I've never been in favor of directly paying student athletes (colleges are for education, not minor league sports development), but if they want to use this as leverage for expanded athletic scholarships, medical insurance, travel expenses, more comped shopping sprees at Under Armour, etc. then I could get on board. Anything to even the playing field against the NCAA's exploitation that's gotten out of control.

edit: Or something like what Idiot Wind said too. Something needs to change, dunno if this is the way to go about it but if it kicks the association in the rear end enough to maybe consider restructuring then it should be worth it

Hazo fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Chiche, what do you disagree with? That college ball could coexist with a minor football league? Or that going pro shouldn't require x amount of college?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Chichevache posted:

I think that the idea the players are well taken care of is a total joke (read the FSU article about football playing students). I also disagree with this being bad for college football. Either we will have minor league teams that pay the players or we will have college teams that pay the players, but this is absolutely not a death knell for the continued existence of the sport.
Ah cool, thanks. I agree with both points, which is why I said earlier that I'm all for "payments" to athletes being in the form of scholarships or, for gently caress's sake, medical care.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

This is a spectacular pro-click.

• Locked thread