Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Re: where's the money going to come from? Assuming that you're going to do nothing more than pay 85 scholarship kids a $20k per year stipend, you need to find $1.7 million a year. Multiply that by 14 teams, you've got about $23 million.

Now consider that the SEC's currently distributing anywhere between $20 and $40 million a year...to each team, depending on whose numbers you use. Big 10, $20-$35 million.. ACC teams are slightly worse off, they only get $16 million a year. Pac-12, $20 million. If your athletic department's budget can't cope with reserving $2 million of that pie (or approximately one Dabo Swinney) for the most important people in the system, then either it needs to have different people in it, or it shouldn't be playing with such ridiculous sums of money in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Come on, let's not pretend that there's a shitload of staggeringly thick athletes in any sport.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

As long as the hail waits until *after* the end of overtime in the championship game, I'll take that deal.

I've got a question. I've heard some people off the back of the NRLB finding that the players are employees claiming that this means the IRS could/would come along and declare athletic scholarships a form of income paid to an employee, and start expecting athletes to pay income tax on them. Is this just barrack-room lawyering or could there be something to it?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

That's probably the closest we're going to get to the old urban legend of the geographical feature called in the local language something like "Your Finger, You Idiot", isn't it?

• Locked thread