Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Dexo posted:

I think the "student-"athletes should get comped, but I have seen a viable argument as to why that shouldn't happen.

What I think is complete bullshit is that the players can't use their own likeness to do promotions and other things. Make it so they can't wear school attire or logos. But poo poo if they want to sell some signatures then by all means they should be able to.

Agreed, but keep in mind that only supports the very best players that are highly marketable, and still leaves most in the same situation they're in now. Unfortunately the alternative seems to be a system where colleges can just buy the best players and competition just goes down the drain, since only a few football programs actually operate at a profit (and I mean a very few).

There's no simple answer to this. I really do think that the players should get something considering they are propping up a huge cash cow, but HOW to do it is a really difficult question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Frackie Robinson posted:

So is the answer to just give up on academics altogether and say "gently caress it, just pay them cash and drop the pretense"? That's just always struck me as a very defeatist attitude. A college education for every athlete should be a tremendous value, the fact that it's not being utilized most of the time is the real scandal. Sure, players who have no interest in or need for a college education should have other alternatives for continuing their football career, but that's not really the NCAA's fault.

Well, in a way it IS the NCAA's fault due to the collusion with the NFL that requires athletes to go through college football to go pro. Football players are more or less being forced through an unpaid farm system.

It's also unique to football - you can join the NBA or MLB right out of high school unless I'm mistaken.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Frackie Robinson posted:

It's not collusion, it's 100% the NFL's rule. The is that you have to be three years out of high school to enter the draft. Unfortunately for those who want to continue their football careers, college football is really the only viable option. The NCAA benefits from the rule, but couldn't do anything to change it if it wanted to. The rule was challenged back in 2004, but it didn't end well.

The NBA has a one year rule, by the way, and it's made college basketball even more of a farce than it was before.

Alright, but it'll be pretty hard to convince me (or most people, I'm guessing) that the NFL's 3 year rule isn't there basically to force players through the college system so they don't have to build a farm league and pay for it.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

MourningView posted:

Either drop the pretense or change things so they can take advantage of the great free education they're allegedly getting, but don't continue pretending that it's a fair compensation for what they're doing while working to make it close to impossible for them to take advantage of.

This, and also get rid of the stupid restriction on the athletes making money, from things like endorsements.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Wait wait, is someone really trying to argue against the fact that college athletes are exploited? Seriously? Ok, my loving brain hurts. These guys work far beyond regular college requirements and put their bodies on the line for 10-15 weeks a year and can't even sell their signatures without being suspended. I mean, loving really?

• Locked thread