Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Does anyone have any dinosaur wizards, sorcerers, shamans, witches, warlocks, druids, arcanists, thaumaturgists, necromancers, seers, oracles, hierophants, or general magic-users?
I just want a T-rex with a spellbook or a sauropod casting magic missiles or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Hogge Wild posted:

If you want Dino people, search for "saurial":
I was more specifically looking for full-sized non-anthropomorphic dinosaurs, but given how awesome everything that popped up on this page was I'm not about to nitpick. Especially Dinosaur Warlock.

Thanks guys. And Dinosaur Warlock.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

It's neat when people ask for my pictures =)

And it's neat when you give them to people! As a topical thanks, have a Spinosaurus from All Your Yesterdays that might not strictly be 'fantasy' art, but certainly is a fantastical take on it.

Look at him. Write 'believed to undoubtedly be the creation of some lunatic mage' underneath the image and he's straight out of the AD&D Monster Manual.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Is that a dinosaur with an elephant trunk?!

The world needs more dinosaurs with elephant trunks (apparently).
If you seriously want to see some other pretty weird stuff, go download the book - the entire point is of it is paleoart showing dinosaurs as we don't usually illustrate them/in situations they aren't usually depicted in/both. It's a sequel made entirely with fan-submitted art so it's got a more uneven quality curve than the first book (I think this is probably one of the best pieces), but it's still pretty great.
Also, it's free (with optional donation). Free adds a lot of quality points.
Here, have a little thought experiment from the first book: a modern-day baboon illustrated using the principles it's criticizing in dinosaur art. A body like shrink-wrap over a skeleton!

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

winterwerefox posted:

Remember, Dino means Terrible, and Topia means Place :D
True, but it's 'terrible' as in 'the great and terrible X'. You know, 'awe-inspiring' rather than 'garbage.' I believe Richard Owen specifically described the intended meaning of the term 'Dinosaur' as 'fearfully great lizard.'
Still not sure I'd describe anything in Dinotopia as FEARFULLY great, but there you go.

EDIT: The Faces of Fearful Greatness.

Okay, this is a bit more like it.

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Alert! Alert! This is not a drill! The PYF insane paperback covers thread over in The Book Barn has discovered the website of the guy responsible for this timeless classic:

Grizzwold posted:

I remember finding this in the library back in high school.

Midjack posted:

Artist page here, he sells prints: https://davidmattingly.com
....and lo, it bears fruit.

madmatt112 posted:

Omg this is a goldmine