Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Honestly the most valuable 4e product I ever spent money on was DDI, and really just for the online compendium. Searchable database of basically everything, including most rules minutia (to my knowledge; it's sufficed whenever a question came up at the table). Classes, races, PPs, EDs, items, monsters, all there. The character builder is really handy for chargen, but if the table likes doing it all by hand, it should have everything you'd need. Plus if someone wants to roll something that's not a warpriest/thief/slayer/knight/mage, they'd have a wider range of options.

Know that doesn't help with tokens/physical aids, but for game info it's a pretty sweet deal imo.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Rules Compendium is fantastic.
Also this. Get the pdf and print it out if you have to, it's a really good resource to have at the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

The Belgian posted:

Thanks to you too, but I thought you could make an opportunity attack in every turn that isn't your own, not once per round?

Mhm, OAs are once per turn, Immediate Actions (interrupts/reactions, like the Fighter's Combat Challenge) are once per round. Likely he meant turn and was saying it's rare to find something that would be able to make 2 OAs on something moving through 2 threatened squares in the same move.

Generic Octopus fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 24, 2014

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Gau posted:

It would, however, work really well for a regular pickup-style whoever-shows-up Roll20 game or something.
I'd be into Roll20, probably could get a couple friends into it if need be.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Dr Cheeto posted:

Yeah, I don't think they'd use them outside of this session, I just wanted to give them some characters which had clear purposes and simple rules so they could start crushing skulls with the best of them.

I'd say Essentials (martial) classes work better for introducing people to the game; at least, I wish we'd had them when I was first playing. In my experience it's a lot easier to take a guy new to the game and point to, say, the Slayer, and tell him "This guy beats the gently caress out people with weapons, and he's pretty tough." Or the Thief, "This guy deals lots of damage and is focused on moving around the battlefield." Or the Knight, "This guy protects his allies by standing next to them, does good damage and is real tough."

Comparing the Knight and Fighter for a second, someone playing the Fighter has to learn what a Mark is, how it's applied, how Combat Challenge works ("Can't use that now, Tom, you used it already this round." "What, why?"), difference between that and an OA, what his powers do, when he wants to use them, etc. Meanwhile, the Knight can just stand around and hit things that try to attack his friends, and not get bogged down in rules minutia while he's still trying to learn the basics.

People often find Essentials classes kinda boring though, so if you're not worried about the learning curve for your group, regular classes will work fine. Just offering my 2 cents.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

P.d0t posted:

I used one on my Ranger|Rogue hybrid in heroic; hurray for having Ranger weapon proficiencies with Sneak Attack from across the map because gently caress burning a feat for Prime Shot.

Is there a version of Treetop Sniper that lets you Sneak Attack with crossbows? Haven't played one in so long.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

killstealing posted:

How does 4e fare with Tiny races as PC such as Pixies and Fairies? My backup character is an int/cha Warlord with a tiny warhorn but I was informed that 4e doesn't really do Tiny.

The fact that it's Tiny doesn't really matter for a Pixie, the only thing it does is let it occupy enemy squares. For everything else, the Pixie basically uses the rules for Small creatures instead. So...no 2-handed weapons pretty much.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

killstealing posted:

Ah alright, and it would move by flying with a maximum height of one square or so? I think I'll ask my DM first but it's a lot more clear now.

The thing about altitude limit is that it only matters at the end of your turn. In the Pixie's case, if you end your turn higher than 1 square above the ground, you Crash (basically fall, but slightly modified). There is no "max height" beyond that.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

killstealing posted:

I had to google Lazylord and it sounds ideal for what I want to do. Obviously as a buzzing sprite I won't be solid at melee combat so just telling others to hit harder/faster sounds good to me. The party could also use someone with high Cha/Int. It's a really big party (8 people) so Warlord an sich will be powerful anyway.

If you have time to kill, you might want to look into a Killswitch build; it's a hybrid of Warlord and Artificer that's very tactician-y and a very strong support/leader/enabler. Uses Int and I believe isn't concerned with a secondary so Cha can work fine. It's kinda min-maxish but the build mainly serves to boost up the rest of the party, so power discrepancy across the table isn't normally an issue.

killstealing posted:

So it's more like a max maintained height. Alright, thanks!

Yeah pretty much. It's also really easy to circumvent as a Pixie if you play a Ranger with a Raptor pet (you can ride it 'cause you're tiny, and it doesn't have an altitude limit). Pretty fun.

Oh and also:

quote:

Obviously as a buzzing sprite I won't be solid at melee combat
Pixie Brawler Fighter says otherwise sir.:colbert:

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Check PHB3 for hybrid rules, but it's way, way easier to use a character builder. Hybrids have a lot of potential to do cool and interesting/powerful things, but it's also very easy to make them horrible in a number of ways, so they're often traps.

Adding to what Klungar said, Hybrids essentially get a few "core" features from their classes (often reduced in some way, like 1/encounter healing instead of 2, or "This only works with [class] powers specifically"). You then get access to the feat "Hybrid Talent" which lets you pick an additional class feature.

When you pick powers, you have to have at least 1 power of each type from each class (so if you're a Ranger|Fighter and took a ranger encounter power at level 1, you'd need to take a fighter power at level 3, then choose from either at level 7).

You can still take Multiclass feats, nothing about multiclassing changes really.

Generally it's been my experience that Hybrids are either really powerful builds that've been charoped to the max, or are horrible messes made by people who wanted to be a master of sword and spell so built a Fighter|Wizard. Killswitch is the former, but the way it works is more likely to make the table say, "Man, glad [character] is around, his buffs/utilities are awesome." And as others have said, traditional Lazylord can get pretty boring, and I say that as someone who enjoys (most) Essentials class design.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
In a world where the Wizard (and Mage and Witch and so on) didn't exist, what would be the strongest controller, hybrid or otherwise? Psure it's Invoker|Cleric, but I don't know enough about Druids and others to assert that completely.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Bargain with a local dragon/strong magical beast of your choosing to aid in the city's defense; alternately, if the dragon's terms are too demanding/the dragon's an rear end in a top hat and says "no," kill him and use his horde to fund & fortify the city's defense.

Engage in a stealth operation to assassinate the approaching armies' officers/generals, reducing their moral and putting them in disarray.

Also everything Chernobyl said while I was typing this.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Captain Walker posted:

Intimidate: No penalty for attempting to force surrender, and it's a minor action

With as easy as it is to boost skills, I'm fairly sure this would get stupid really fast. Intimidate focused builds are already pretty good at overcoming the +10 to Will, eliminating that barrier lets these sorts of characters run over applicable encounters. It wouldn't even have to be someone deliberately min-maxing, they could just be looking for things that give them Intimidate in the character builder and then suddenly they're cowing every enemy in earshot.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

rotinaj posted:

4e/PF/DW

I like 4e for the combat system, people have issues with time management it seems but that will vary from group to group/person to person. There can be a lot of situational bonuses to track. That said, in combat, everyone has a role and no one should feel like dead weight because they wrote the "wrong" class on their sheet. Check out Gamma World for a version that's less headache and less involved as far as feats/powers/ability scores go.

I don't have much experience with PF/3.5, but the gulf between what a fighter or rogue can do and what a wizard/cleric/druid can do turned me off of it completely.

Dungeon World is reeeeeally free-form; there's no initiative, no turn order, people just say what they want to do & when and the DM adjudicates. I've had a lot of fun with it. The core classes all work pretty well from what I've played (some minor math balance concerns on the damage output of the Paladin but honestly it's not a big deal). It's also not d20, but the resolution mechanic (2d6 + modifier, 6- failure, 7-9 success with consequence, 10+ great success) is fun.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

I sorta assumed this was about about post-racial boost ability scores; 16/16 pre-racial is good and sometimes preferred/necessary for certain build (like your fighter pmc wizard).

The thing here I really disagree with is the idea that the mark penalty is the important part of the mark, when the mark punishment is what defines most defenders. Yeah, penalty to hit is good (Dishearten Psion), but if all you're expecting from the defender is a -2 or drawing enemy attacks, then that defender is seriously under-utilizing his defender mechanic. Possible exception being the Paladin, since the auto-damage isn't all that high, but they've got enough tools to work with to compensate.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Agent Boogeyman posted:

It's situational, but really, from a long time of personal experience it's not as bad as you guys are making it sound.

From a long time of personal experience, the marginal benefits you gain from setting up a weird array do not compare to the +1 or 2 to-hit that you can only get from your stats.

All the teamwork bonuses you're getting, you'd still be getting regardless of your array. So what are you getting/think you're getting with your stat points that is worth 5-10% to-hit?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Ideally team monster would have more going on in terms of status effects/terrain hazards as the PC levels rise, but yeah, 4e gets pretty easy (relatively speaking) for the players from Paragon on up. This isn't even because of the PC HP vs Monster Damage thing you're looking at; the wealth of options open to players to gently caress poo poo up is just enormous in later levels in terms of damage & control that encounters can be effectively decided in the first couple rounds. You probably already know this since you're looking at the math parts, just stating it for the sake of discussion.

Only thing I'll add to the Con discussion is that, as a stat, it's made mostly unnecessary thanks to the 2 hp conversion backgrounds; players worried about their hp at low levels should be taking those anyway so low Con shouldn't be a big deal.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Captain Walker posted:

Hey can someone explain to me what the gently caress is up with the new books coming out starting in July? Are they 5e? 4e? 4.5? Do I have to go to the Next thread in DDRD to find out? :ohdear:

It's 5e/Next. They're doing a staggered release, more stuff comes out in Aug/Sept/Nov (PHB, MM, and DMG respectively).

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Gort posted:

Mostly for my own benefit, collected house rules for eliminating the "adventuring day", please critique:

* PCs heal all HP damage at the end of an encounter. (IE: During a short rest)
* PCs quarter their number of healing surges, rounding down. This is their number of surges per encounter. The Durable feat and similar healing surge-increasing effects give +1 surge per encounter.
* PCs may use one daily per encounter. Dailies recharge at the end of a session, or when you have no dailies remaining at the end of an encounter.
* PCs reduced to 0 HP take an injury - a persistent debuff related to the damage that reduced them to 0 HP. (EG: Sharp damage might cause vulnerability, cold damage might reduce speed, crushing damage might reduce Will defense, and so on) Injuries last until the end of a session.

The house-rules I've found successful are mostly cribbed from 4e's Gamma World:

* Everyone full-heals at the end of an encounter.
* Everyone can Second-Wind as a minor (dwarfs get it as a free) for their surge value.
* At a milestone, either gain an action point or recharge a daily.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Gort posted:

I don't like the way 4e assumes you'll have roughly four encounters per extended rest and would like to change it so the number of encounters per extended rest is more flexible. How would I best accomplish this?

We got rid of the "adventuring day" in my group by houseruling that instead of gaining an action point at a milestone, you had the option to regain a spent daily instead.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

I'd look at using a different system rather than trying to hack the current one.

For real though Gort, just check out Gamma World for a version of 4e that's built around going from encounter-to-encounter rather than the adventuring day.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

crime fighting hog posted:

Hey guys, could someone point me to something, official rules or not, for flying ship to ship combat? I can probably wing the rules myself but wanted to see if there was some precedence rip off crib from.

There's vehicle rules in Adventurer's Vault. Never used them though, can't speak to their effectiveness. If you have ddi they're also in the compendium.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Chapter 1 psure. Also here's this: http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ex/20090821

Refers to pages in the 30's range so try there I guess.

VVV Oh yes, templates are there. VVV

Generic Octopus fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 11, 2014

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Poison Mushroom posted:

Has anyone had any luck with, like, a series of Zelda-styled theme dungeons for a game? Most of my group seems to be about "mostly combat with some chances to roleplay in between", and that format seems pretty suitable for it, as well as giving me a lot of latitude for interesting encounter design. ("Why is the floor made of rotating and shifting tiles that screw with your initiative score and warp you around the battlefield? Because this is the Time dungeon, obviously!")

Fun terrain is practically necessary to give the game longevity; while I haven't done anything really zelda-like (like, not a literally [theme] Temple), I've used/seen warp tiles, moving floors, semi-random elemental effects in certain areas of the battlefield, etc.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Gort posted:

Does it? I knew it did the "heal to full at end of encounter" but I didn't know you could just spend surges whenever. What kind of action is it to spend a surge in 4e Gamma World?

Everyone gets a minor action second-wind, and that's it for encounter healing. Some classes have abilities that heal them & stuff but yeah, GW is built around encounters, not the adventuring day.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Gort posted:

7. Feats become too numerous as you level. 16 feats by level 30 is too many. I'd prefer them to work like the powers - you spend the heroic tier gaining feats until you have say, five. Then through paragon and epic you gain maybe one or two more, but also get to swap out your existing feats for better ones.

8. ...I don't really like debuffs in general - like stunning a player character, robbing a monster of the ability to do anything interesting by piling tons of negative modifiers on them seems like the opposite of fun...

Feats become less of a problem when you've played/read a ton and can cherry pick the good stuff from the huuuuuge list of junk. A condensed feat list that just has the things people actually use would be great, but otherwise I don't have a huge problem with the way feats work now. That said, I think I'd prefer fewer, more powerful ones.

Your last point is sorta at odds with the optimal way for the PCs to fight. I mean I get what you're saying, it sucks when your dragon gets poo poo on because the Psion dropped Dishearten on it 4 rounds in a row while the Ranger and Sorcerer cleaned up the dragon's minions. Or it gets daze-locked and weakened by a Paladin/something that MC'd pally because they had the presence of mind to write "Champion of Order" on their sheet. Or the Wizard polymorphs it and forces failed saves for 2-3 rounds. Team PC has a lot of ways to gently caress over Team Monster, it's just kinda the nature of the beast.

Gort posted:

Based on what I've said in this thread, what games do you think I should check out?

Well Gamma World is the obvious, but you already knew that one.

I can't recall if you mentioned Dungeon World in the past; it's pretty different, but as a long-time fan of 4e who actively enjoys all the min-maxy parts of the system, I really really like DW's simplicity & ease of play, games feel much much faster. Also no adventuring day and short lists of "feats" per class. The only thing that I sometimes miss is an initiative system, just to divide up table time more evenly; I've been considering trying popcorn init to see how that plays out.

13th Age is a thing; I've only played 1 short session of it but fighters seemed pretty poo poo. Rogue was cool though. Might be worth peeking at, though while it cuts down on feats & stuff it still assumes an adventuring day.

Legend is pcool; short feat list full of good stuff, flexible class/multiclass stuff for people who're into that, strong "normal" class builds for people who aren't, and the adventuring day is basically how far can you go without running out of hp (there's ways to heal, but nothing like 4e surges).

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Loki_XLII posted:

This isn't actually true, just letting you know. It uses terms like Dailies, but they're decoupled from actual days. Generally you get everything recharged after four fights.

By "adventuring day" I just meant there are resources to manage over time (like recoveries & spells & stuff). Extended Rests in 4e happen after around 4-6 encounters too. Admittedly 13a comes right out and says "hey, handwave an excuse to give the party a full heal after they've fought a bunch and get back to playing" rather than the "find X hours in the day to get your poo poo back" of 4e, but functionally it seemed pretty similar.

Apologies if I misrepresented it, like I said I've barely played it.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Something like a random Save Ends effect could be interesting. Like when you enter a bubble you roll a die and are randomly slowed, dazed, stunned, etc.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

I will have to think of something for monsters that aren't intelligent though.

Example: a group of undead. If they've killed the vampire overlords and there's just a couple zombies or whatever shambling around and they're like 0 threat, just have the players describe how they finish off the remaining few and press on.

The important thing is to not waste time on things of little threat or consequence.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Yeah, when one gal in our group rolled a monk everyone pretty much started calling out the moves like that red-haired dude in the Jackie Chan cartoon.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Kurieg posted:

That reminds me of another thing that bothers me. RAW if you prone a flying target they instantly teleport to the ground. Which seems incredibly dumb. "Oh hey the enemy is flying over a chasm, well they're dead now."

Nah, the falling rules let flying creatures catch themselves in high-altitude falls. RC 209. You only fall 500ft, then fall another 500 til your next turn if you do nothing to stop it. Plus an athletics check to arrest the fall at 100 ft. Flyers be okay around chasms.

e: beaten, but yeah, anyone who falls basically falls 500ft/round.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
If the harpy had like, fly speed 8, and +2 for running, it could cover 20 squares with a double move in a turn.

Alternative (or in addition) to the wind-shaping leaders, could have updrafts be a terrain feature. And then the harpies could also have wind-based pushing/sliding/prone-ing moves to mess with PCs or maneuver allies.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
What the assassin needs is minor/multi/off-turn attacks so that it's not worse than Rogue in every respect. I really like the assassin and its features/utilities, but it's attack powers suck something fierce.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Dude, the 4e charop peops tear each others' throats out when they get a rule wrong. The DPR/KPR kings thread was full of debates and people ripping builds to shreds. They're not some insular cabal determined to interpret things in the most broken way possible.

I'm not going to comment on the shroud debate because it was done to death like 3 years ago and the assassin is still poo poo no matter what the ruling. Try to find the old threads regarding it on the wotc forums if you like, but it really does not matter because no one plays this horrible class.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

AXE COP posted:

The real thing to remember with mounts is that you can ride anything that has the mount keyword and get full access to its mount powers. Fighting a gnoll riding a giant spider? Knock him off and take it for yourself!

Just to clarify/add on to this, it doesn't have to have the mount keyword to ride it, it just has to be a larger size than you; the mount keyword indicates it has special powers which you need Mounted Combat to use. Also it has to be willing, so the spider might not cooperate (but that's what Nature is for).

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Cavalier is awful, but it's the only way to get the sorta neat Celestial mounts without houserules (the Summon Celestial Steed power used to be a utility with a level so Paladins could take it, but that was changed later).

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
A Wizard with a dominate and Storm Pillar will also win PvP, no thought required.

But the answer is don't do it because it's not fun and not actually reasonably possible. Whoever wins init wins the fight one-on-one; in a group, you're hosed if you're solo. They probably know your weak NAD so to-hit really should not be an issue. It's even less of an issue if they just drop action points and multiple dailies to murder your rear end.

If you want to pull one over on allies, grab a pocket dimension and a portal ritual. Then steal something plot critical and gtfo. Trying to actually fight your party is a waste of time.

Echophonic posted:

Serene Blade Runepriest

Your fellow players will have to be exceptionally bad or actively let you win for it to work.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Echophonic posted:

It's not a budget like the old days. It's 3 items, one each of level, level-1 and level+1.

And level appropriate gold, think the number is the gold value of an item of level-1 but I don't remember off my head.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Gort posted:

Doesn't charging every round mean you spread your damage out a lot, which isn't really desirable?

I'm assuming you charge a dude, shift away, charge another dude 'cause the first dude is too close, then shift away etc...

Boots of Adept Charging let you shift 1 after a charge, so you can wail on the same guy.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Link to his character for people who weren't watching the recruit thread.

Idk how much charop matters to doomykins so the advice here might not matter much in the long run, but anyway.

You want an Expertise feat at some point (the 3 bonus feats exist usually to let people take the "math fix" feats of Expertise and Improved Defenses, and Melee Training for classes with a lovely MBA) to raise your accuracy. I'd look at Executioner over Assassin for your hybrid if you're absolutely married to that pairing, otherwise I'd probably ditch Hybrid and pick one or the other.

You have proficiency in shuriken but no ki focus (they let you apply their enhancement bonus to any weapon, nice for multi-weapon builds) or magic shuriken (thrown magic items come back to you, always). Basically your sheet looks like you want to use a bunch of different weapon types but don't actually have much ability to use them effectively, which will be a problem. Even now your attacks with shuriken and garotte are gonna be a couple points lower than your other weapons, that difference will only grow larger as you level and monster defenses assume a certain to-hit.

Really what I'd recommend is moving away from Hybrid and going straight Executioner since they're explicitly set up to do the multi-weapon thing that you seem to be going for, at the moment I don't see Bard doing much for you aside from skill bonuses, which in a party as large as that there should be a wide enough spread that a generalist skill monkey won't be needed.

If that's not an option or you want the Bard stuff real bad then adjust your items to get a magic Ki Focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Agent Boogeyman posted:

(Fighter is one of them. Never hybrid a Fighter).

You can do some neat stuff with Fighter hybrids (Fighter|Rogue riposte defender, Fighter|Ranger MC Pally PP Champion of Order with HBO for a mean mark punishment).