Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

Elmo Oxygen posted:

Has anyone used any of the Encounters in-store material at their table? I'm thinking of starting up a new campaign and I'm interested in the Dark Legacy of Evard. Any trip reports to share?
I don't think I've ever used Encounters materials outside of Encounters, except for maybe a one-off "oneshot" for an off night of gaming.

But from what I remember of Season 5: Dark Legacy of Evard, it was pretty good but also kind of average for the quality of the program. I think I enjoyed Lost Crown of Neverwinter and Beyond the Crystal Cave more as a DM, but also realize that people may not have access to those—although wasn't the Crystal Cave printed in one of the magazines a while back? I think Dark Legacy is serviceable if you can get your players to buy into the whole "dark heroes" concept a little bit, but over-reliance on Heroes of Shadow content comes with its own cost.

I assume if you're considering using Encounters adventures that you're already aware of their railroady nature, so just be cognizant of that. Dungeon's Master has nice recaps of all the different seasons, including Evard's, you just need to scroll down... quite a ways. And if this is for a physical game—rather than a digital one—I have some DM resources that might be of use to you.

Auralsaurus Flex fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
It's been a while since I've used the LCB, but I think for that you either click on Lay on Hands in the little "selected powers" box at the bottom of the window and then that brings up the appropriate screen in the upper portion or there's a section somewhere on the at-will selection portion of the powers tab where Lay on Hands appears as though it's a power that's already been chosen and there's a little drop down arrow to the right of that bar or something. If neither of those work, I'd also check the Class Features section and make sure it's not located there.

For the OCB, I think you just click on the bar for Lay on Hands and then the selection pop-up appears and you can change it from there.

Bear in mind that I don't really have access to either of the builders presently, so I'm going off of memory here.

In any case (at least for the LCB, the OCB might not actually do this), it's not super intuitive since it's presented as a selection already made for you rather than a choice you make yourself.

Auralsaurus Flex fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 16, 2014

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

SeraphSlaughter posted:

I want to encourage it since he's building up a lot of backstory for it, but I don't want him to have more abilities right out of the gate than other players.
Using Themes does exactly this. Basically, everyone gets a Heroic Tier "Paragon Path". The player in question will likely pick the Werewolf/rat/bear Theme from Dragon #410 that Mendrian mentioned since that's what they want, while everyone else chooses some other thematic character-defining background and then everyone's on an equal footing mechanically.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

Lamquin posted:

So if I decide to do a Double Move it's a Double move - the creature can shift a square on difficult terrain if it dedicates two move actions to it.
By RAW, this doesn't work that way.

Assuming a standard shift of only one square and no special difficult-terrain-ignoring abilities such as Earthwalk/the Elf's Wild Step/etc., the creature in question uses its Move Action to shift one square; it can shift into any square so long as that square isn't difficult terrain. It then downgrades its Standard Action to a second Move Action and can use that to shift one square (into non-difficult terrain) again. At no point does the creature—nor is it even able to—"double up" on Move Actions and combine the movement speeds of associated forms of movement into a single value. A double move is just two, discrete Move Actions, not a single "double action". In this case a double move with both Move Actions spent on shifting is as follows: shifting one square, followed by shifting one square, not shift two squares once.

In a decent number of situations, this distinction won't cause a creature to still be adjacent to a single enemy combatant at the end of its turn—although it may be an inefficient use of actions and the enemy is likely still able to just move/shift up to a square adjacent to the fleeing creature on the pursuing creature's next turn. This is not the case in situations where the creature in question is completely surrounded by some combination of difficult terrain, blocking terrain, and enemy creatures.

A 'double move" isn't any special game mechanic; it's simply game terminology/shorthand to say, "I'm going to take two Move Actions." As in, "I use a double move to move 10 squares," or, "I'm going to double move to shift away and then move my speed in order to get away from the goblin without taking an Attack of Opportunity."

You had it right in your example/question regarding standing up, and—of course—there's nothing stopping you from making a houserule that says double moves work the way you want them to, it just affords the same benefit to the PCs and very slightly cheapens the effect of the aforementioned abilities such as Wild Step and [Terrain]walk.

Auralsaurus Flex fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 23, 2014

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
Well, that's what I get for not playing 4e in a while and not consulting my Rules Compendium before responding.

That exact situation regarding moving through difficult terrain with a speed 5 character has come up plenty of times in play and it should have come to mind regarding the double shifting question.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
My opinion is that it does cheapen their effect, but not by terribly much in the grand scheme of things, since—as you mentioned—you're still spending more actions doing the same thing.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
I'm not sure if you're jumping on him for this (emphasis mine),

PeterWeller posted:

I'm not keen on 4E modules,
which is a perfectly reasonable opinion to have, or

PeterWeller posted:

but Gammaworld
that, but Gamma World 7e is basically D&D 4.1. It's also a pretty good system that can result in lots of fun being had and is also well-equipped for the type of play that P.d0t seems to be looking for.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
Yep! Although it isn't as lively as more popular threads such as this one.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
There are prices and descriptions for several buildings in Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium and Adventurer's Vault 2 has some Wondrous Lair Items so you can film an episode of MTV's Cribs after you've pimped out your party's headquarters, but there aren't any real mechanics for how they (the buildings, not the wondrous items) function or anything like that, nor are there any rules for investing as far as I'm aware.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
The Sacred BBQ thread has been archived (I don't have archives, so that very well could be a bad link) since Jimbozig left TG, but this appears to be the most recently released playtest document.

Auralsaurus Flex fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 30, 2014

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

They don't but it doesn't unbalance anything at all if you just say they do. 1d6/plus is fair.
They do exactly this in the Dark Sun printing of the inherent bonus rules.

AXE COP posted:

"gain an item bonus to initiative checks equal to the blade's enhancement bonus". Does that scale off the IB?
The rules lawyer in me says not by RAW using that wording on the item, but it shouldn't really break anything if you rule otherwise.

Auralsaurus Flex fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 6, 2014

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
Does your group have any reliable forced teleportation or forced movement of 2 squares or greater? Because if not, I don't see how a successfully landed Horrifying Dismemberment isn't essentially a death sentence, short of deciding to Fling a grabbed creature—which would have questionable reasoning given that Dismemberment should usually be the better choice if it's got a grabbed creature.

In general, action denial isn't very fun for the receiving end on either side of the screen, doubly so if you have no way to affect when the effect ends. I would recommend dropping the stun on Dismemberment down to a daze. That way the grabbed creature actually has an option between attacking and trying to escape. If you make the switch in status effects, you probably want to also have some sort of after effect on the power where the escaped creature is dazed until the start of their next turn so they can't potentially gain lost actions back by trying to escape first.

This is less of a concern if you definitely plan on having The Beast flee without regards for consequences when it hits bloodied and you—and your players—don't mind a slight game of rocket tag where at least one person on Team PC is likely to lose their rocket launcher until the game's over.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
Relevant grab rules are that teleportation will end a grab and forced movement can break a grab if it results in the grabbed creature's end position exceeding the range of the grabber's initial power. So yes, you could bull rush your own teammate or the enemy—if you're any good with strength (or if the target has low fort)—but in this case, you would need two successful bull rushes before the Beast gets one of its turns. A monster should also probably have some sort of power for moving a grabbed creature (usually at either half or full speed) if it wants to be able to do so.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I was planning on using Dark Sun, as it's a pretty cool setting, and running through the three pre-made adventures (Bloodsand Arena, then the Campaign Setting book one, and then marauders of the Dune Sea).
I could be wrong, but I believe Marauders is pretty much universally regarded as a bad adventure, both in fitting with Dark Sun theme/lore and as a bit of a combat slog fest.

Unfortunately, I don't have a good alternative in mind unless you can somehow get ahold of the Ashes of Athas organized play campaign modules. dwarf74 might be able to weigh in on this more since he's got considerable Dark Sun experience, if I recall.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Which (if any) of the 4E Encounters seasons were worth running?
As long as you don't mind the Encounters format, I would recommend Lost Crown of Neverwinter (Season 6) and Beyond the Crystal Cave (Season 7) as personal favorites. For context, this is out of my experiences running Seasons 3-7 in 4th Edition and Seasons 13-14 using Next.

If you're looking for a lengthy adventure with a serviceable—if a bit generic—plot, Keep on the Borderlands (Season 3) fits the bill—just be sure to tell anyone familiar with the original Keep that they shouldn't have any expectations of it being the same as the old module. For the most part, they all kind of have a different theme to them, so if there's one that really catches your/your group's fancy, it probably can't hurt to try it out, given the following proviso.

Just be sure you know what you're getting into, which is primarily combat-heavy, railroaded adventures where combat encounters are sandwiched by brief roleplaying opportunities and skill challenges. The two I mention above at least either make the most out of it or change the formula a little bit.

Dungeon's Master also has a bunch of Encounters resources, including weekly recaps and end-of-season report cards, if you feel like wading through some or all of them.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
They currently have everything up to Season 18, excluding Seasons 12-16, on Wizards' DriveThruRPG page (the last two seasons are found under the D&D Next section). I don't believe the maps are included, but I also haven't purchased any of them yet, so I can't say for sure either way.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

My girlfriend just got a new phone. Are there any good Android apps around that would be useful for a player? Preferrably with the ability to import a sheet from local .dnd4e files.
The only one I'm familiar with is KSheet, which comes in both Trial and Pro versions. It should work with both .dnd4e files and linking up with your DDI account, from what I remember.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

Littlefinger posted:

Is there an online errata for the old guidelines somewhere?
That would be the Official D&D Errata & Rules Updates, which contain the updates to page 42 of the Dungeon Master's Guide that the linked 1d4chan page mirrors, except it looks like the DC has been increased for one entry of the official errata since the creation of the image used on the wiki.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
I'm aware of Advanced Encounters: Terrain Toolbox, which might be right up your alley. It's got a section on creating your own interesting terrain, but also provides quite a few different pieces of example terrain that you can just plug right in, reskinning if necessary. It's specifically for D&D instead of Gamma World, though, so you might have to tweak some numbers.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is there a set/repository of pregens I can look into?
I'm not sure if you've already seen these before, gradenko, but Dungeon's Master has a bunch of pregens corresponding to most seasons of Encounters; they're even done up using the same layout as the official cards. There are a couple links on that page to other blogs that have pregenerated characters, such as:
Since I haven't looked over them all, I can't really speak to the optimization level of these. But given how bad the official ones could be at times, they have to be at least a little bit better.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

Moriatti posted:

How difficult would it be to publish an adventure module for 4e at this point?
Since Wizards hasn't issued a blanket termination of the 4E GSL, it's about as easy as it ever was during the system's lifespan – although it's perhaps a little more difficult due to the fact that the SRD hasn't been updated since early 2009 and the latest products to be incorporated were the AV, PHB2, & MM2.

I'm not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice, but if I were going to publish 4E compatible material, I'd definitely look long and hard into the possibility of using the GSL to do so, since a good deal of the legal heavy lifting is already done for you. However, you may find that the license isn't appropriate for your needs, in which case you might want to consult with someone who is qualified to give legal advice and is familiar with IP law, etc. so you can figure out how to go about doing things the right way.

thespaceinvader posted:

Maps would be fine as long as you have the rights to them anyway. You could get away with referencing monsters and telling what page of the relevant book they're on, but I doubt you could print the actual stats without getting in trouble. Although, I very much doubt Wizards would have the resources to DO anything about it.
Under the GSL, third-party content is kosher assuming you have all the correct licenses and permissions – except for depictions of a select few creatures such as Beholders. Creature references – minus the same sorts of exceptions – are ok, but you can only refer to the book they're in, not the page they're on. They give a reason for this that seems like a bunch of baloney, saying that reprints might have different pagination. Stats and such are definitely out. You're basically just allowed to use any applied mechanical results (such as skill bonus totals for NPCs) and a bunch of system references without providing or altering the definition of those references. You can, however, extend a reference's definition – the examples they give for this are essentially subraces along the lines of the Bozak & Kapak Draconian Dragonborn.

And while the D&D branch of Wizards definitely doesn't have any real resources to speak of these days – evidenced by the lack of any corresponding license for 5E, among other things – I'm pretty sure its legal department is alive and well, if the whole Hex kerfuffle is any indication.

The biggest hurdle to using the GSL – like I mentioned previously – is how outdated the SRD is. You might be able to get away with using references that should be in the SRD but aren't for lack of anyone updating the document – like, say, any references whatsoever to monsters that use correct math – as long as it's done in a manner appropriate to the rest of the license. I should note, though, that the SRD only applies to core rulebooks, so anything that only appears in a splat or adventure is probably out of the question.

Obviously, if you're going to do something that violates the GSL, don't accept it in the first place – there are provisions built in where any licensee who breaks any of the license's agreements is held liable for Wizards' legal fees.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
Yep, that's perfectly ok as long as your monsters don't share the exact same name as a monster in the SRD and aren't facsimiles of anything that's not in the SRD. I'd also stay away from anything that Wizards considers proprietary characters and hasn't included in the SRD, such as Kuo-Toa, Slaads, and Yuan-Ti. Looking over the monster sections of the d20 SRD for the OGL for notable omissions should give you a better idea of which creatures are product identity for Wizards.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
Someone was asking about Gamma World in system recommendation megathread, so I thought I'd move that conversation over here since the the Gamma World thread's in the archives.

Woozy posted:

Just wanted to say I followed up on this and I think I'd just rather do an actual Gamma Worlds game! Any advice for someone running this for the first time? I'm pretty familiar with other tabletop games.
For any advice you might need on the foundational elements that are common to GW 7E and D&D 4E, there should be plenty of people in this thread who can help you out. The biggest differences are probably the mortality level for and amount of randomness present in characters (don't worry to much about this) as well as the cards that are used, so make sure you're familiar with the rules for Alpha Mutations and Omega Tech. I'd also recommend starting out using a Game Master's deck for both of these at first so players can get a feel for things before creating their own decks later on.

Everything you need to get started playing is in the starter set, but there's a character sheet generator (redirected link) and blank character sheet (redirected link; .zip available) available that you might find useful. There's a set of booster cards to expand your Alpha/Omega options from just the base set, if you find that you or your players want more variety or deck construction options. The Famine in Far-go expansion has additional Origins, monsters, an adventure, and a few cards used in an optional subsystem for group or individual allegiance. The Legion of Gold expansion has more monsters, a few more Origins, another adventure, and rules for a feat system. There are also some vehicle rules (redirected link; direct download available) and a guide for incorporating real-world locations (redirected as well; direct download still available) posted on Wizards' website.

You don't need all of these extras to start out, but they're helpful if you need more options as a GM or your players find the system to be just on the simple side of things for their tastes or want more character options. As I said before, you can probably even use 4E monster statblocks as long as you use a discerning eye when picking them out.

If you're looking to get started soon, there's even a short holiday-themed adventure (also redirected with direct download still up and maps available; requires some statblocks from Famine in Fargo & Monster Manual 2), which might (I want to really stress the 'might') work as a one-shot if you have about five players who don't mind diving headfirst into 8th+ level characters.

To speed up character creation, I'd also recommend printing out the cards you'll be using and some half-page Origin summaries that other people have created if you're playing in person. Otherwise, make sure you've got some sort of system for handling the deck stuff for online play.

Auralsaurus Flex fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 16, 2015

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
Apparently Wizards has chosen to prevent any new DDI subscriptions without advance notice. What's conspicuously absent is any statement indicating that this is a temporary measure. Pretty bummed about this, since I had some sort of weird account issue that prevented me from being able to use any of the tools the last time I tried to re-up, which was shortly after the change to the new account system.

Without the welcomed convenience the various digital tools provided, this almost certainly means I'll never be able to run a 4E game again. :smith:

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
Both the compendium and monster builder should be able to handle that – if you have Insider. If you don't, this tool doesn't include any unique monsters (and probably has an incomplete list of sources), but can handle what you need otherwise.

Edit: This encounter builder looks like it pulls creatures from all sources, but requires compendium access to get any useful data – including the monster's source.

Auralsaurus Flex fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Dec 13, 2015

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
The link redirects me to ddi.wizards.com. Does that work for you?

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
Yeah, that's the first encounter presented in the Slaying Stone. You later end up infiltrating an enemy-occupied village in order to track down a MacGuffin.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
Yeah, it sounds like there's definitely a problem with too much time being spent discussing optimal tactics amongst your group, but tactical discussion itself isn't necessarily an issue.

pookel posted:

And then the monk leaps into the room on his next turn and uses his action point to be able to get to the fight which he shouldn't even have been aware was happening.

gradenko_2000 posted:

The two warning flags (not even red flags) I see in your story are:

1. The Monk joining into a fight that maybe he shouldn't have been aware was going on, but how "unrealistic" this is can vary depending on the specific circumstances and how much of a stickler the group is.
For 4th Edition – if you're in initiative – you explicitly know which square each creature occupies unless they're hidden from you. Hidden meaning the pseudo-status resulting from a successful Stealth check made at the end of an action involving movement and attempted in an effort to become hidden, not just "is out of line of sight". If you need a reference for this, the "Targeting What You Can't See" sidebar on p. 221 of the Rules Compendium is pretty clear.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
I don't have the text for Commander's Strike in front of me, but if that's an accurate paraphrase, that doesn't work the way you think it does because Melee Reach is not Melee Weapon.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
Thank you, Gradenko.

I went to go look at Commander's Strike, and I had it hazily recalled/slightly conflated with Direct the Strike. My point was that per Rules Compendium page 100, a power with range Melee Touch is distinct from something with Melee Weapon.

But yeah, a reach weapon will let you use the power in question against a target from a greater distance.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Good news, at least assuming that wiki is accurate:

I don't want to burst your bubble, but Throwing Shield is unfortunately a shield enchantment — not a weapon enchantment — and magic shields always occupy the arms slot by RAW. Of course, you and your DM are free to houserule whatever you agree upon and want to.

The wiki's also wrong about dual wielding shields; nothing stops you other than opportunity cost (since typed bonuses such as shield bonuses don't stack).

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
That's not the right description; the grab power (RC 243) is not the grabbed condition (RC 231).

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
In addition to Generic Octopus's post, your quoted text for the grab power is pre-errata.

Rules Compendium, pg. 243 posted:

Grab
At-Will
Standard Action       Melee touch
Requirement: You must have a hand free.
Target: One creature no more than one size category larger than you.
Attack: Strength vs. Reflex
Hit: You grab the target until the end of your next turn. You can end the grab as a free action.
Sustain Minor: The grab persists until the end of your next turn.
(underlined emphasis mine)

Unless you're intently keen on infinite recursion, it is obvious that "grabbing a target" means imposing the grabbed condition upon that target. Is it unfortunate that two different mechanics share the same term, but both are the most aptly named when considered in a vacuum. The designers must have come to the conclusion that, since they are different types of mechanics – namely a general condition and a specific power – any ambiguity stemming from their shared name was outweighed by the intuitiveness of that chosen name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

Impermanent posted:

Is there somewhere you can get like a big Summary of the various D&D 4e classes and a sentence summary of their playstyles? Interested mostly for ideas for a lancer hack i'm loving around with.

I put something like this together a while back, although many of the short descriptions are more focused on theme than mechanics since I was aiming to provide a one-pager suitable for introducing completely new players to the classes. I believe it has all of the classes, but doesn't go down to the subclass level — which can sometimes produce noticeable differences in playstyle.

I can also upload a Word document or plaintext version on request, if that would be more helpful than the PDF.