Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Echophonic posted:

Ok, this is going to sound strange, but what's the best way for me as a PC to limit how hard an Avenger can murder me? I think I can mitigate the others somewhat with some damage resistance of various types, but the Avenger will be tricky. I think I'm on track for a story-appropriate heel-turn and I'd like to have my pieces in place for when the weapons come out.

I'm not that guy, I swear. :saddowns:

Get a buddy to stand next to you and make sure that buddy can't be forcibly moved away from you or easily murdered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Echophonic posted:

Man, Runepriests are a hassle to pick feats for. I have no idea what to do with my level 20 pick. I have all the core stuff for the greatspear, have some damage boosting stuff, the usual defense boosters, but I'm totally out of ideas. Any good leadery feats I'm overlooking?

What do you have? Also, get Mark of Healing if you can.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Let's talk Natural 1s. Do you ever do anything special when your players roll natural 1s? Do you just leave it as "you miss, badly" or do you take it further?

I actually remove natural 1s automissing, because gently caress that. Adding an extra effect onto automatically missing is pretty lovely.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

AweStriker posted:

What's an AEUD, again? I must have forgotten.

At-Will, Encounter, Utility, Daily.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Deva are a rad concept with rad fluff :colbert:

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

dwarf74 posted:

The final adventure of Zeitgeist has just dropped. So say what you will about ENworld - I have, and probably will in the future - they've produced a complete, awesome adventure path for 4e, finishing it up even after the end of the edition. That's a goddamn class act, right there. It's also the only series of adventures I've seen which really shows off 4e's best sides.

So yeah. In case you were on the fence about buying it, it's complete and well worth the money. For a tabletop group, I'd say it's 2-3 years' worth of excellent gaming.

I'm midway through Adventure 9 right now, and I want to get to the end but also don't want it to end because I'm not 100% sure where I'll find adventures of similar quality.

Do you have any tips and suggestions for someone running Zeitgeist? Asking for a friend.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

I would be unoriginal and combine a ranger's double tap encounter power with the Distracting Strike power from level 3, for an interrupt doubletap that inflicts a scaling to hit penalty.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I don't understand why they just didn't given them wizard dallies as dallies

The Bladesinger, aka the Fighter/Wizard of days past, had less powerful spellcasting than Wizards because of their martial focus. Dailies are the Wizard's strongest ability.

Therefore... :eng101:

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Torchlighter posted:

So, a couple of questions for the thread. I've been GMing a group through a homebrew campaign, and I've been tooling around with some mechanics from other games, notably the Background system from 13th Age.

I've also been thinking about adding the escalation die. When I discussed it with my players in passing, they weren't sold on the idea, and suggested using it as the gimmuck for an encounter. Makes sense, no big. But the talk in the D&D Next thread has me thinking: how unbalancing would it be to have damage on a miss? The MM3 monster math is obviously pretty rigid and well defined, so how would DOAM affect that?

Another thought, related to the escalation die: 4e notably has a 'nova' problem, where dropping your big abilities at the start is the best course of action. To gamify it, if the escalation die locked off your bigger abilities until a certain level, would that illeviate some of the nova problems?

DOAM is not going to have that dramatic of an effect since even say, half your damage as a striker dumping The Big One on an enemy isn't going to be terribly stellar, and adding that on other characters with less Striker levels of damage means it's going to be even more sad. Yeah, it's better than literally nothing, but anything positive is better than literally nothing so that's not really a favorable thing.

Locking off powers behind the escalation die feels really lovely in 4e tbh. Like, beyond nova-ing, I feel like that would really sour the fun of choice since a lot of dailies are great to pop off at the start of the fight, again, not for nova purposes. I feel like the best way to tackle nova problems is to just have a frank conversation with your players that begins with something like "I know the optimal tactic in 4e is to drop the Tsar Bomba on your enemies immediately (and to be fair its the overpowering tactic literally everywhere), but it's not that exciting for me as a GM. Now I'm not saying that you should never nova, but don't always just smash the big red button that says 'kill absolutely every single motherfucker and terrify the rest'."

I mean, to answer the question, it would alleviate the nova problem, but not in an especially "fun" way.

In my opinion.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

although I might also steal an expanding aura/attack from an MM3 dragon.

Might nothing, definitely steal it. Those auras conceptually own. Just don't make them as... auto-hit as the Cataclysm Dragon auras are. By that, I mean the auras begin at iirc 5, then increase by 5 per turn into it hits 15. There's practically no way to actually avoid it in advance, and I've never found that fun at all.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

I think Strike would be significantly worse if it had the Attacker Through Remote Proxies rather than the Summoner or whatever, and not just because the latter kind of class name makes it much easier to think of powers. Though there's not an official Strike setting its classes do suggest a default one, which I guess is a kind of Final Fantasy-ish tech-friendly fantasy world in which you've got both wizards casting spells and engineers laying mines.

But can you have wizard engineers laying down spell mines?

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Eopia posted:

So how much information should players have both in and out of combat? Should they know AC and NACs for their enemies, HP? Should they know the DCs for things they want to use skills for before they decide to roll? etc.

Mostly asking because in the previous 4e campaign I played in our GM denied us all of this information, and at the every least not knowing our enemies defense numbers really slowed down combat until we managed to piece together what the target numbers were on our own in every fight.

I tell my PCs all of that, because in the end, it just makes everything easier on me, and on the PCs.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I'm DMing so this is a weird question but how do I get the Leader to stop holding his heals? He's playing a straight cleric with a strength/something build and has at least 3 encounter heals but seems obsessed with holding them until someone goes down.

It's definitely learnt behavior from 3/5E that he's bringing across where healing in combat is bad.

This wouldn't be a problem if the first guy to go down wasn't him a solid chunk of the time. This makes combat extremely swingy based on whether he gets creamed or not. I've tried talking to him out of game both gently and fairly directly so does anyone have any in game advice to help get him in the swing of it?

Tell him combat healing is Good because a) you typically use Minor actions to fuel it, or it gets slapped onto an attack, which makes it actually efficient, and b) 99% of heal effects use healing surge value, which means unless something is going drastically wrong with the target, the healing always scales from a quarter of their HP and up.

Besides that, I hella don't know, man.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

P.d0t posted:

For my homebrew 4e-ish D&D clone, I'm debating a small change to how knowledge skills are doled out. Specifically, power sources granting you a few trained knowledge skills.

Context: ability scores are dead; each class gets 2 power sources (with a fair bit of customizability)

How does this list look?

What's the difference between First Aid and Medical?

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

MBA: clawed gauntlets, deal damage and blind target until the end of its next turn.

Don't do this. Blind at-will is the actual opposite of fun.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Loel posted:

So I knock my players to 0hp a lot, and I dont like the dying mechanic. Think Ill playtest this next session.

If 0 or below hit points, roll 2d6.

10+ tis but a scratch. Apply 2 healing surges.
7-9. Make a deal with death. If he accepts, use a healing surge. If not, go to 6.
If you have less healing surges available, apply as you can. If you hit 0 again with no surges, your roll counts as a 6.
2-6 blaze of glory. All your attacks crit, but you die at the end of the encounter.

You can choose to do blaze of glory at any health, but you have to describe how it starts. "For my father!!" Or whatever.

This works extremely not well with how 4e generally operates unless you want something "deadly," and I really do mean to use the scarequotes.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Spiteski posted:

Dumb question, but how can I gain the ability to use Daggers as my implement as a Warlock?
Really want to start using an Incising Dagger for my Teleport-themed warlock.

Multiclass Swordmage. You gain light blades and heavy blades as implements.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

it sounds like you should roll an invoker

Flame of Hope is a cool rear end PP.

Though, my personal favorite invokers are the convoker types. They're just really cool to me :v:

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

isndl posted:

My favorite Invoker gimmick was the Tiefling Invoker|Cleric that rolled anywhere from 2-8 times on attack rolls and dominated on a crit. Too bad my rolls were still poo poo and I only managed to trigger the dominate once. :sigh:

Wouldn't you need a Bard multiclass for Life Singer for the double rolling, or am I thinking of something else?

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

ProfessorCirno posted:

Simulationism is a disease.

so if i inject simulationism into my blood in minute quantities i can protect myself against it?

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

What class is that dude and what are his stats? Build? Outlook on life?

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

They don't really die of age, and if they get knocked unconscious they can just remain in unconscious death stasis forever.

They'll probably get up eventually, but being knocked the gently caress out isn't really an extended rest, so once they run out of healing surges they just... lay there.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Had anyone played an adventurer that had been petrified but still conscious for centuries?

I have, but RPing the desire to scream with no mouth for centuries isn't particularly interesting or fun.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Brash Assault+Harlequin is fun but your DM could just... not take the incentive, which leaves BA roughly as effective as a... Basic Attack, and IIRC Harlequin doesn't force the issue, just makes it safer. The other attack grants in the PHB and the MP2 are better anyways, but I'm glad you're having a blast with Bravura Warlords because they're my favorite kind of Warlord :v:

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Definitely do inherent bonuses but just increment them at levels 6/11/etc. Basically the levels where you can get the upgrade via literally the Magic Weapon/Armor/Necklace items.

As for other math taxes, it's just the Expertise and Improved Defenses feats.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

That support familiar is loving madness.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

As an unshakeable 4e defender, I gotta say, multiclass feats were such a misguided idea. People want actual multi-classing you nerds. Putting out Hybrids later was good but they shouldn't have been called Hybrids, they should've been called multi-classing.

Multiclass feats were unquestionably good, and Hybrids were a mistake. Level by level multiclassing (I also hate your use of "actual", because it sets anything opposing it as "illegitimate" from the outset, which is at the very least, disingenuous, and at most, uncritically cargo culting bad mechanics just because it cemented into your mind first) is a garbage bullshit newbie trap of a mechanic and I despise the obsession with it. I'm not sure how power swap feats could be made into an okay choice, though (excepting powers that are just obscenely good).

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

ross the boss posted:

I bought a bunch of 4e books on eBay and DTRPG because honestly I'm getting sick of playing 5e and I can probably convince my group to play a 4e Dark Sun Campaign if I sell them on the combat being way less boring.

I've got PH1, the Essentials books (sans Monster Vault, that thing is expensive), and the Dark Sun setting and monster books. Should I get anything else?

Also, I am basically new to DMing anything but BECMI/BX so any advice re creating adventures/encounters? It seems like more prep than I am used/willing to do. Do the Dark Sun published adventures (Marauders of the Dune Sea? what else is there?) really suck? Is there a way to run a sandboxey game in 4e?

Hoo boy, you'll want to :filez: up basically the rest of the 4e books and ditch Essentials, or finagle your way into the character builder or something. Essentials is hot garbage (lol non-casters do nothing but attack and wizards have three hundred options per level) and the Monster Vault is an excellent book for how it's the crystallization of the monster math fix and design sensibilities that happened across its lifetime. The math is replaceable, but the concepts contained within are something you may not think of, so.

As for creating adventures, it depends on how tightly scripted you'll want to make it. But strong advice for anything is to have an especially strong start and end, with a malleable middle that you can change to suit your needs/the players' needs.

As for encounters, 4e is pretty forgiving in that it's generally so tightly balanced you're free to, as long as you don't deliberately do something overly fucky like chain stunning or using blatantly way too much damage, wing fights as long as you keep the numbers within the same range area.

A sandbox 4e is incredibly doable, but you might find it difficult considering 4e's expected, measured and planned pace. You can obviously be a lot more free with knowledge of the system, but it's not going to be easy. A simple solution to 4e's Encounter/Daily timings on powers is to move it away from a chronological time based limit to a more narrative time limit, gating restoration behind more narrative units of time so you don't have players constantly running into fights freshly rested, as 4e assumes a steady progression of resources being chipped away at.

EDIT: That's all the advice I can think up of unless more questions are asked/more concrete questions are asked. I hope this helps!

NachtSieger fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 17, 2018

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Waffles Inc. posted:

as a 4e liker this is a very good meme and I had to share

https://twitter.com/Ettin64/status/982133363992444928

https://twitter.com/KasimirUrbanski/status/982691846244663296

everyone's least favorite idiot

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Most classes have an at-will that replaces a basic attack, but that is a good point for the few that don't.

Personally, what I would do is the PCs making an attack and then the monsters making one, each targeting an opponent. PC resolves first, then monsters. Elites and solos get more attacks.

NachtSieger fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 30, 2018

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

Wait. If it's worth having a solo why are you glossing over the fight? It's a boss monster.

Sometimes I just want to skip the foreplay.

Or I posted mostly with an actual thought, got derailed into another idea, and then continued posting without making the A and B connections complete.

MY BAD. Post still stands, just ignore the solo part.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

I haven't counted but from my experience I wouldn't say "most". Plus, if you have to pick your basic attack at-will to be good in the filler fights, that's the point that at-will becomes a power tax the same way expertise is considered feat tax.

I've always found the basic attack replacers largely good, but that might just be down to the circles I ran around in :v:

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

NachtSieger posted:

I've always found the basic attack replacers largely good and worth taking, but that might just be down to the circles I ran around in :v:

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Kinda late, but it's a shame the Int/Cha psion is massively, unfairly better than the Int/Wis psion, because the latter has a while mess of real actually entertaining poo poo other than "hi these enemies can effectively no longer attack" or "hi this one thing has gotten hit by a one turn Lead the Attack" or "TIME TO MAKE THIS SHITLORD FORCIBLY PROVOKE THE FIGHTER'S MATK PUNISHMENT", or the previously mentioned Living Missile/Barrage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

KPC_Mammon posted:

Back when I ran 4th edition players regained one action point, one daily power, and 1/3rd of their healing surges (rounded up) every milestone. No long rests. They'd level at the end of every adventure, at which point they got all resources back.

It worked really well for pacing.

:eyepop:

Just add in as many milestone tattoos as you can and try to let the world burn in your wake.