Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm starting my first D&D 4 game two weeks from now, gonna try to convince my gaming group it's not RPG Satan come to destroy us all. I was planning on using Dark Sun, as it's a pretty cool setting, and running through the three pre-made adventures (Bloodsand Arena, then the Campaign Setting book one, and then marauders of the Dune Sea). Any helpful advice for a first-time D&D4 DM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Thanks for the tips!

djw175 posted:

For beginning people, 2-3 combats a session is a lot. 4e combat takes a while even with MM3 rules especially for newbies who don't have what their abilities do memorized. Which is another thing. Don't be afraid to cut encounters short if they're dragging on and it's clear who's winning.

I have always been willing to just have the enemies give up or run away when the players have obviously won. I will have to think of something for monsters that aren't intelligent though.

Gort posted:

Speaking of memorising abilities - make sure you make power cards for every power the players have. (should only be 5 or so per player at level 1)

Makes the game so much slicker - use a power, flip the card. Makes it obvious to the players what options they have left. You can also do tokens for action points, second wind and even healing surges if you like.

That's a good idea! I was planning on using some blank cards to give to players to write their powers down, but I think there's actual Power Cards you can print somewhere? That would be even better.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Aww drat. I bought Marauder for nothing then. :(

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Reading Bloodsand Arena, it doesn't seem so bad. Characters get betrayed, they have to fight in the arena, etc. The +1 Flaming Greataxe seems a might random. I should be able to run it with a minimum of changes.

Speaking of magic items, I get that they should be rare in Athas. In the OP there's some talk about Inherent Bonuses to compensate the lack of magic items. How do those work? I don't quite get it from just reading the post. And would they be a good choice for a Dark Sun campaign?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I just ran my first game! I had fun, and I think most of my players had fun. One of them didn't, but I'll see if I can't help him rework his character into something he'll have fun playing. Skill challenges were surprisingly well received, the one fight we had was a bit slow due to us learning the game but was overall fun, with lots of movements and tactics. The Cahulaks are crazy good weapons.

My players:
- A Dragonborn Sorcerer Templar, works for the new King Tithian
- A Mul Arena Fighter, crazy and looking for his sanity (a bit fishmalkish, but the players ahd fun, so heh)
- A Half-Elf Bard Minstrel, looking inconspicuous
- A Mul Battlemind Nomad, just trying to survive
- An Elven Druid Elemental priest, who wants to bring back the rains
- A Dwarven Druid Primal Warden, who wants to bring back balance (the players who didn't have fun because he thought Druids would be closer to their 3.5 versions)

I'm crazy excited about the next game in two week. So far 4E seems to be what i wanted it to be.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

So, would it be possible to create a Final Fantasy Blue Mage-type Class and not have be completely broken? I'm somewhat of a newb at 4E, and I always liked the idea of stealing powers from monsters you fight.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Thanks for the answers guys. Yeah, that's about what I figured out. Still, an interesting thought experiment.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I wanna make the most rockingest Tiefling Bard ever. I tried my hand at it, but I'm not sure how good it actually is. Any good feats/powers I should get?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Mustache Ride posted:

Go straight implement powers, reskin everything to have your tiefling act like a glam rock show, and take all the feats related to skill upgrades.

That's what I did with my first try, more or less. Good.

He's gonna be the rainbow in the dark.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

It's honestly difficult to make a bad o-bard as long as you stick to the powers that match your secondary stats.

Mostly, the problem is that there are zillion feats and I have no idea which one to pick.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Khizan posted:

The martial controller is the polearm fighter.

Do not pursue Lu Bu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKDIQaq36tw

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Prison Warden posted:

Straight up steal the Opera from FFVI for background.

Also steal Ultros pushing that 5-ton weight for exactly five minutes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I had an argument with a friend yesterday about whether or not Themes break the game. I said they don't, as I've never heard of it before, while he claims that by giving a bonus they become mandatory in order to not be underpowered OR they make everyone too powerful.

Anything I could say to disprove his claims? Or is he right?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

The thing is, Themes give you an extra bonus and/or power at level 1. Even though all the later powers are utility ones that only broaden your options, the level 1 bonuses give you an edge over someone who doesn't have a Theme. Maybe it's on the same of "+1 damage when flanking", but it's still something.

Your friend is technically correct as far as everyone or no-one should have Themes.

The big thing was mostly regarding encounter maths being off, as stronger PCs changes stuff.

We probably won't be using theme in our upcoming game of Planescape (we were making characters, which started the whole thing) but it got me thinking anyway.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Any good tools to make a dungeon? I'm designing the next adventure for my Darksun campaign and anything that makes the job easier is welcome.

My plan is to set it in an old Eladrin ruin (halfway into the ruined Darksun feywild), with three towers intelrinked with teleports.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Mark of Storms, Lyrandar Wind-Rider, Resounding Thunder, there's not a lot more tbh.

Most damage types are very poorly supported.

Maybe elementallock? Getting one specific damage type reliably is useful for them and means your power choices aren't limited.

I've been thinking about a Lyrandar Wind-Rider as a back-up character in the game I'm currently playing in. It's Planescape translated to the 4E ruleset, my current character is a Minotaur Gladiator who was raised by a Dwarf.

I figur eif Eberron exists within the multiverse, it's possible for a dude to get lost into Sigil.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Been thinking about Eberron lately. I got the two 4e books, how are the adventures? Any good Eberron 4e fanstuff or Dragon magazine articles/adventures?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Oh that's something I'm gonna in pretty much all level-based systems from now on.

Thanks for the rec, I don't have the Ashen Crown book but shouldn't be too hard to find if I want to do it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

One Legged Ninja posted:

You should probably join the 4e discord and check out the resources channel. And here's the...

Edit: oops, I forgot that has the libraries in it. Well, you can find Masterplan at GitHub, but I'm not linking :filez:

I was already in that discord :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I’ve been thinking of running Dark Sun 4E. What are the good tools to run that online these days?