Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

P.d0t posted:

You mean like Defender Aura? :smaug:
Some monsters actually have that, but again most don't have a mark punishment.

IMHO keeping track of marking isn't any harder than keeping track of whether or not Monster #126B has used their immediate action this turn or not.
So just be lazy and make them opportunity actions :getin:

Marking might not make simulationist sense, but it makes game sense.

It makes simulationist sense too, provided you're not a goddamn idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
The first time one of the characters in our group makes an attack against a given defense for a monster, the actual number for that defense goes up on our turn tracker. We're using a custom one, though; dunno if Masterplan has that functionality.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I'm currently playing four characters that use implements and only two have superior implement training. It's not, imo, significantly different than Superior Weapon Proficiency.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

TheWyrmDude posted:

There's a theme called Darkwalker Kin that gives the character an at-will, once per round wolf transformation, and the bite is like, 1d8, +3 proficiency bonus, and gets the enhancement of your primary hand weapon. When you transform you can shift as well.

What's that from? It doesn't show up in compendium.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

The Leper Colon V posted:

Cold is good for controllers.

Why is cold good for controllers? Frostcheese is good, but additional piles of damage is more of a striker thing than a controller thing.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

The Leper Colon V posted:

Cold is usually accompanied by slow, or other good controller-y things.

Case in point, Vanilla Icestorm.

...your case in point has half of frostcheese and a feat that gives -2 to fort whenhit by cold attacks. I'm not necessarily disbelieving your point, but your case needs some serious work.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Purely from a DMing perspective, putting together a 4e encounter takes like a tenth of the time of putting together a 3.5/Pathfinder encounter, and it's vastly easier to figure out whether the encounter will actually be an appropriate challenge for your party.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Roctavian posted:

I have a storm sorcerer player in my campaign, who uses longswords as implements. I understand weapon-as-implement stuff is poorly supported, but the way I'm running it is like this:

1) Proficiency bonus does not apply to implement powers, of course,

2) Via modified He can deliver any spell as a melee attack, targeting AC instead of NADS and adding in the proficiency bonus in this case,

3) and I don't even think about 1[W] damage ever unless he's doing an MBA.

Is there anything particularly problematic about this? The player said he'd settle for "it's just a reskinned wand" but I think it can work like this, via a modified Sorcerous Blade Channeling feat.

If later on, he ended up going with two-weapon fighting (roleplaying reasons) what would be some cool stuff (magic items, alternative rewards) to give him? Other than the obvious joy of "you are shooting lightning out of two swords"?

There are a couple of ways to do this RAW if you don't want to muck around with custom rules.

Arcane Implement Proficiency feat allows you to be proficient in an implement used by any arcane class. Swordmages can use heavy blades as implements, and are arcane, so there you go.

If he has Con and Int 13+ and hasn't taken a multiclass feat yet, he can also take Heart of the Blade and multiclass into Swordmage. In addition to being able to use heavy blades as implements and picking up another trained skill, he gets swordbond -

quote:

SWORDBOND
By spending 1 hour of meditation with a chosen light or heavy blade, you forge a special bond with the weapon. As a standard action, you can call your bonded weapon to your hand from up to 10 squares away.

You can forge a bond with a different blade using the same meditation process (for instance, if you acquire a new blade that has magical abilities). If you forge a bond with a different blade, the old bond dissipates.

If your bonded weapon is broken or damaged, you can spend 1 hour of meditation to recreate the weapon from a fragment. (This process automatically destroys any other fragments of the weapon in existence, so you can’t use it to create multiple copies of a broken weapon.)

which your player may find cool.

Nothing that I'm aware of makes 2) happen, but if he wants to do that I'd let him; it's far from unbalanced.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
A Blackguard with a full charge kit and/or Frostcheese is a very effective striker, they're just deadly loving dull to play.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

dwarf74 posted:

Make that "any character at all" and you're still right.

This is one of many reasons I won't ever run 4e with pre-Essentials full magic item crafting/buying/selling, and why I mostly prefer inherent bonuses now. :)

You aren't wrong, but Blackguards are actually pretty effective strikers even with neither thanks to Power of Strife.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Psychologically, it's difficult to "force" PCs to fail at something without making them feel like they're being railroaded. If they've done a bunch of stuff to prevent her from being kidnapped and defended her in combat and you have to fiat it anyway because of the plot, it tends to get players annoyed. My advice would be either of the following -

A) set up a combat where there's a twofold "goal" - maybe the place they meet the witch for her to explain things has some important looking item in it, goons burst in, and she screams "PROTECT THE IDOL!". If she gets kidnapped while they're "succeeding" at protecting something else, it feels much less railroady, and if the item is maybe visibly one part of a whole - maybe it's got an obvious hole in the middle that corresponds to a necklace that a successful Perception/Insight check means you'll "let" the PCs remember the witch was wearing - it's a good McGuffin to send them off to "rescue" her as per your plot.

B) Set up a combat where goons try to kidnap her, and it's tough but obviously (to the PCs) possible to stop them. If they fail, things proceed as normal but they feel like you gave them an honest chance, and the fact that she was dragged off alive means they have an obvious trail to go "rescue" her, as above. If the PCs stop them, have the witch panic about not being able to hide from them and never being safe, and have her try to talk the PCs into going off to stop them once and for all. If they agree, all is good; if they don't, you've given her a much more foreshadowed motivation to "wander off".

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

cbservo posted:

That's a really, really good idea, actually. I had toyed with the idea of her having a necklace that would eventually serves as a catalyst for the ritual that would allow her to feed off the essences of her dead witch friends. For 6 level 10 PC's, what would be a good number of monsters for a distraction encounter? One that they could beat pretty easily but have her get carted off?

Use a standard XP budget but spend most of it on minions; while they're fending off the hordes trying to get to the item a couple of the non-minions can make off with the witch. You don't have to go buck wild with the minions but you're going to want to err on the side of more monsters, especially since a couple are gonna be running.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dr Cheeto posted:

Isn't there a Bard build out there that isn't so much focused on its own maneuverability, but grants a number of teleports to party members?

There's a feat called Walk Among the Fey (iirc) that turns all bard's slides into teleports, which has great potential for ally teleportation as well as enemy. I'm currently running one that's MCed warlock to pick up Ethereal Sidestep and the Evermeet Warlock PP, but there's a wide variety of ways to take advantage of it.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bikindok posted:

So, I may be involved in a 4e game for the first time since release (seriously, last time I finished a dungeon was Keep on the Shadowfell) and holy poo poo, I have no idea what I'm doing. I kind of want to run a Warlock, but have heard that mechanically, they're not very good? Should I just swap over to Sorcerer, or can I make Warlocks not suck somehow? I like the Star Pact but I'm not under any illusions about it being anything but a bad idea.

Warlocks are fine and I'm not sure why anyone would tell you otherwise. They're more complicated than Sorcerers but not even remotely weaker.

EDIT: Also Star Pact has the best Pact boon and one of the best paragon paths

fatherdog fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 12, 2014

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

Like many other classes, you can also stack them to ridiculous damage in Epic.

Warlocks, basically, are weaker than most strikers with much stronger control. Their principal problem is a lack of multi-attacks compounded by the fact that a LOT of their damage boosts are based on Curse which is only 1/round.

Nonetheless, they are effective. Very thoguh to build though. Sorcs are much more straightforward.

They have access to enough zones to make up for the lack of multi-attacks imo, but you do have to be wise in your power selection.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

They're getting ready to release an audiobook of D&D stories as narrated by celebrities. A few months ago it was noted Ice-T was doing some work on D&D audiobooks and was completely flabbergasted by it, and I guess this was the project.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/08/12/ice-t-weird-al-dungeons-dragons/

You've not really lived until you've listened to David Duchovny sleep through an R.A. Salvatore passage.

"Who should we get to narrate the story of a character that heroically rebels against his evil, dark-skinned race? Oh, Ice-T, obviously."

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

crime fighting hog posted:

I could use a little dangerous terrain help guys, is this a dumb idea?

One of the places my players will have to go is a time machine laboratory that got blown the gently caress up. They're trying to reach the time machine in the basement to save the world but there are time warp bubbles on the map that wander around. Anything that gets sucked into them gets aged/de-aged by a number of years.

Would it be dumb to have a sort of counter, like you roll 3d6 each time they get knocked into one and say "You age 13 years" and if they reach a certain number, like 100 over their original age, they die?

Or should I just keep it to damage/slowed effect? It does seem like needless book keeping if I go that route.

Way too much bookkeeping, imo. Just roll a d6 each time they get sucked into one and apply a status based on what they got aged/de-aged to. "You're elderly and your hip has started to go! Slowed, save ends." "You've grown old and feeble! Weakened, save ends." "You've hit middle age and are struck with the crushing realization that you've spent your entire life doing nothing but killing things for money which you spend to get better at killing things! Dazed until EONT."

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Herr Tog posted:

Guys I'm in need of a +/- level 4 monster, preferably non magical and non-sentient, that has an attack that immobilizes at a distance or has the word 'ephemeral.' Thanks, I'm running into walls on this one

quote:

Ghost of Anarus Kalton
Medium shadow humanoid (undead)

Level 3 Elite Controller
XP 300
HP 74; Bloodied 37 Initiative +2
AC 17, Fortitude 13, Reflex 16, Will 15 Perception+0
Speed 6; phasing Darkvision
Immune disease, poison; Resist insubstantial
Saving Throws +2; Action Points 1
Standard Actions
Rotting Touch (necrotic) At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +7 vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d6 + 3 necrotic damage, and the target takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls until the end of the ghost’s next turn.
Shadow Darts (necrotic) At-Will
Attack: Ranged 5 (one or two creatures); +7 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 1d6 + 3 necrotic damage, and the target grants combat advantage until the end of the ghost’s next turn.
Spirit Flay (charm, necrotic) Recharge
Attack: Ranged 10 (one creature); +7 vs. Will
Hit: The target is dominated and takes ongoing 5 necrotic damage (save ends both).
Miss: The target is dazed (save ends).
Unraveling Doom (necrotic, psychic) At-Will
Attack: Close blast 2 (enemies in the blast); +7 vs. Will
Hit: 1d6 + 3 necrotic and psychic damage, and the target gains vulnerable 3 to all damage until the end of the ghost’s next turn.
Spirit Swarm (necrotic, psychic) Encounter
Attack: Area burst 1 within 10 (enemies in the burst); +7 vs. Fortitude
Hit: The target is immobilized and takes ongoing 5 necrotic damage (save ends both).
Each Failed Saving Throw: The target takes 5 psychic damage.
Miss: 5 necrotic damage.
Triggered Actions
Visage Revealed (fear, psychic) Encounter
Trigger: The ghost is first bloodied.
Attack (Immediate Reaction): Close blast 5 (enemies in the blast); +7 vs. Will
Hit: 1d6 + 3 psychic damage, and the target is dazed (save ends).
Miss: Half damage.
Ephemeral Ghost (illusion) At-Will
Trigger: An enemy misses the ghost with a melee or ranged attack.
Effect (Immediate Reaction): The ghost becomes invisible until the start of its next turn. After becoming invisible, the ghost then shifts up to 3 squares.
Skills Arcana +9, Intimidate +8, Stealth +7
Str 8 (0) Dex 12 (+2) Wis 9 (0)
Con 11 (+1) Int 17 (+4) Cha 14 (+3)
Alignment Chaotic Evil Languages Common
Published in Dungeon Magazine 182.

quote:

Goblin Acolyte of Maglubiyet
Small natural humanoid , goblin

Level 1 Controller
XP 100
Initiative +0 Senses Perception +3; low-light vision
Life Scourge aura 2; each creature within the aura cannot regain hit points.
HP 29; Bloodied 14
AC 15; Fortitude 12, Reflex 12, Will 14
Speed 6
Slashing Shroud (standard, at-will) Illusion, Weapon
+6 vs AC; 1d10+3 damage, and the goblin acolyte of Maglubiyet becomes invisible to the target until the end of the acolyte's next turn.
Hand of Maglubiyet (standard, at-will) Force
Ranged 10; +5 vs Fortitude; 1d6+5 force damage, and the goblin acolyte of Maglubiyet chooses either to slide the target 3 squares or to immobilize the target until the end of the acolyte's next turn.
Maglubiyet's Fists (standard, recharge )
The goblin acolyte of Maglubiyet makes two hand of Maglubiyet attacks, each against a different target.
Goblin Tactics (immediate reaction, when the goblin acolyte of maglubiyet is missed by a melee attack; at-will)
The acolyte shifts 1 square.
Alignment Evil Languages Common, Goblin
Skills Diplomacy +6, Intimidate +6
Str 11 (0) Dex 10 (0) Wis 16 (+3)
Con 13 (+1) Int 13 (+1) Cha 13 (+1)
Equipment: battleaxe .

Published in Monster Manual 2, page(s) 131, Dungeon Magazine 177, page(s) 33.

Is this for a trivia contest or something, because otherwise you should just build one yourself

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

ProfessorCirno posted:

Necrotic weapon adds it as a half so get blades heavy or light as an implement and all your powers do part necrotic, allowing you to still use the other damage type. Vampiric converts all and is lower level, but still like level 9. Before 9, not much you can do. Of course, the only real way to PIERCE necrotic resistance - which lots and lots and lots and lots of enemies have - is with...a weapon. Soooooo...

EDIT: There's a druid paragon that adds necrotic to all your animal form powers and pierces resistance, but warforged aren't very good druids, that's at paragon, AND I dunno if it even matches their idea for the character.

Blightbeast is really good as it basically gives you "Frostcheese, but for necrotic", but yes, Warforged unfortunately not a great fit for it.

RPZip posted:

Blackguards can be cool because they're the only class that can abuse two big vulnerability packages. They can natively inflict cold (and necrotic) on all their attacks, so they can pick up all the neat classless frost-related stuff, and with a radiant weapon they can also get a lot of use out of the Paladin base support for radiant damage. This is a partial build I was poking at for a game and never finished/ended up making something else, and it's Tiefling-centric, but it shows off some of the crazy bullshit they can do. Dread Smite has great synergy with Icy Clutch of Stygia and Lasting Frost in particular, and with Morninglord you start slapping people around with Radiant vulnerability on top of that. Note that there's exactly zero charge optimization (save for Impaling Spear, but that's also "every attack-optimization") because, while effective, that package tends to bore me in actual play.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
level 13
Tiefling, Blackguard, Morninglord

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 17, Dex 9, Int 11, Wis 13, Cha 23.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 12, Dex 8, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 18.

AC: 18 Fort: 22 Reflex: 19 Will: 25
HP: 104 Surges: 13 Surge Value: 26

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +11

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +5, Arcana +6, Bluff +14, Diplomacy +12, Dungeoneering +7, Endurance +9, Heal +7, History +6, Insight +7, Intimidate +12, Nature +7, Perception +7, Stealth +7, Streetwise +12, Thievery +5, Athletics +7

FEATS
Level 1: Wrath of the Crimson Legion
Level 2: Icy Clutch of Stygia
Level 4: Cold Adaptation (retrained to Battle Awareness at Level 11)
Level 6: Cunning Stalker
Level 8: Weapon Proficiency (Gouge)
Level 10: Imperious Majesty
Level 11: Lasting Frost
Level 12: Impaling Spear
Feat User Choice: Mighty Crusader Expertise

POWERS
Blackguard daily 5: Majestic Halo
Blackguard utility 6: Bless Weapon
Blackguard daily 9: Ray of Reprisal

ITEMS
Radiant Gouge +3
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

If you're running a Blackguard and not using Power of Strife what are you even doing

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

Playing any sort of Blackguard other than a Human one who for some reason took Ardent Strike rather than Virtuous as their extra at-will?

He took Wrath of the Crimson Legion, why on earth would he be taking Virtuous Strike?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

LightWarden posted:

Yeah, usually you're better off MCing into vampire from a Charisma-heavy class because then you have actual functioning class abilities. If you're taking something like Martial Vampire, the Blood Drinker feat and maybe even the Vampire Noble Paragon Path you can generate something like three or four surges per encounter, but that won't really help your party unless you have an artificer, the Comrade's Succor ritual or an epic level cleric with Shared Healing. If you slap it on a class without dailies like a thief, elementalist or an atypical half-elf knight you can get the Eager Hero's Tattoo and then never take an extended rest again to roll around with a quite frankly ludicrous amount of THP until your DM hits you with a book. Slap it on a paladin (or bard who also MCs into paladin), then take the Vampire Noble Paragon Path for the level 16 feature, then run around in the sunlight to weaken yourself and immediately save against it so you can keep Hero's Poise rolling forever.

I need to do a Murphy's Rules write-up for this class.

Funnily enough I'm actually playing the Paladin MC Vampire with Vampire Noble right now, in a party with an artificer, and it works surprisingly well. Probably not as well as using those feats for something actually good would, but it's effective and the surge-stealing minigame is fun. You can't do the weaken into Hero's Poise thing if you take the Divine Vampire feat for that extra surge steal though; it makes you immune to sunlight as a side benefit.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Three way combats thrive in the proper terrain, where Side A can use a combination of mobility and forced movement to make it difficult for Side B to attack Side A but easy for Side B to attack Side C. Assuming the PCs are Side A, too many ranged attackers on B and/or C make this iffy; Zone and Wall capability on the part of A can ameliorate it slightly.

The keys are A) Have narrative reasons for Side B and Side C not to ally against Side A, and B) have terrain that allows the aforementioned types of tactics.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Essentials wasn't an attempt to make 4e simpler, it was an attempt to make it more like 3e and any statements otherwise are trasnparent lies.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Countblanc posted:

The line of books died, sure, but like no one I know IRL plays 4e anymore while 3.5 is alive and well. The game of 4e is pretty dead in a way that many other no longer supported RPGs aren't.

As of a year ago, a considerable time after 5th was being worked on, there were enough paying customers for D&D Insider that it was making comparable money to the entire Paizo product line. Your IRL friends are not broadly representative.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Torchlighter posted:

If you want crunchy tactical combat, you don't have to deal with grognards and edition warriors to get it if you look outside dungeons and dragons.

Basically, people who didn't want to play 4e didn't play it: Those who wanted the RPG elements, but weren't a fan of the combat have better systems, and those who want the crunchy combat can also get their fair share from other sources, without harassment and the community.

What are some examples here, because I've yet to find anything that does crunchy tactical combat anywhere near as well as 4e, and the only suggestion I've heard when I've asked for something before is WHFRP, which costs like $200 for the basic set.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Gort posted:

Kick whoever told you WHFRP has tactical combat even in the same galaxy as how well 4e does it squarely in the face.

Strike is pretty cool and cheap to boot, but the sheer amount of 4e content (classes, monsters etc) puts it in front as far as I'm concerned.

Ignore WHFRP, play 4e, Strike and Dungeon World.

I have a copy of Strike which I intend to try out, but Dungeon World is the polar opposite of "crunchy tactical combat".

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Really Pants posted:

What's the best way to make a combat more challenging without making it longer?

Build fights with win conditions that aren't "kill everything". Grabbing and holding on to an item, controlling territory, protecting a hostage, etc, etc. Coming up with interesting mechanics to help or hinder those goals helps.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Bards are decent attack granters, and while they don't have the sheer attack-boosting power of the warlord when they do so, they have a bunch of stuff that lets them grant MBAs as immediate actions which is A) abusable and B) hilarious

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Artificers got criminally little support, but Magic Weapon is very good and making surges fungible is really interesting.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

ProfessorCirno posted:

4e is, perhaps unfortunately, very much geared towards melee over ranged.

Yeah

quote:

Controllers are universally ranged,

yeah

quote:

some leaders are

Yeah

quote:

NO defenders

yeah*

quote:

and like two strikers
yeah

quote:

both of whom would be far better in melee range.

what.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

You can kind of make a ranged paladin. It's difficult but doable.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Unknown Quantity posted:

Anyway, I guess that answers my question. The party should be fine. I was just trying to decide if my ranger should be capable of whipping out a ranged weapon if needed, but it's sounding like I don't considering just how ingrained melee is to everything.

Getting a magical Javelin and some form of quick draw makes things a lot easier and also improves the usefulness of distruptive strike

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

An Essentials-only campaign could well work with the right group, but Essentials is an issue because it was a clear attempt to get back to LFQW.

No, no, Essentials was just an attempt to make 4e simpler for people who wanted it simpler! The fact that ONLY martial classes got simpler and wizards just got more powerful while remaining just as complicated and Warlords vanished is complete coincidence!

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

P.d0t posted:

:eyepop: holy gently caress don't play this edition hth

What edition would you suggest?

I mean, this isn't "gently caress YOU 4TH IS THE BEST EDITOIN" but being a wizard with a sword has never really been a particularly good or useful idea in any edition of D&D (somewhat ironically given the existence of Glamdring)

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
WotC hasn't and probably isn't selling D&D because the novels and other licensing makes a fair whack of cash. Which is why the support for the actual game has always been pretty spotty, because it's the least profitable part of the IP, which is itself barely more than a rounding error compared to Magic.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Why would you have ever thought it didn't get implement damage bonuses?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Caphi posted:

I thought it wasn't the actual attack damage?

"Damage rolls" means "damage rolls", as in "every time you roll for damage".

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
For a physical setup, here's an idea -

Print out between 5 and 10 alternate maze configurations. Put all of them in a stack, and put a (heavy, if possible) sheet of clear plastic on top. The figures all go on the clear plastic. Whenever you want the maze to change configuration (maybe roll initiative for the "maze change" step?) have somebody hold onto the plastic sheet so it stays in place, and slide out the top maze configuration to reveal the one beneath it.

Might be a bit fiddly, but I think it would work.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Drewjitsu posted:

3rding this, I played a brawler fighter who was "welterweight ufc champion Georges St. Pierre who woke up post knee surgery in a strange land a la John Carter of Mars", and it was tremendously fun to punch and kick (and double leg) everything, all the time.

Doing the "stranger in a strange land" thing was also super fun too.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Drewjitsu posted:

I watched a ton of tuf when he coached, so I even got the accent down right. One of the other characters was a Psionic class, who provided translation to the group. It was pretty great.

Edit: he wore a gi (refluffed scale armor) and since he was coming off knee surgery, he wasn't as mobile (hence the -1 speed that scale armor provided). It was a very fun character to have all of the mechanical and flavour bits line up.

You should've convinced somebody to play Jean Charles Skarbowsky